QFTCI5GNM15 Game 1, Rounds 9-10: not John, challenge of rivals

Mark Brader

Aug 28, 2015, 12:22:23 AM8/28/15
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-04-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not John Williams

Yes, Virginia, there are other people who compose film music
besides the ubiquitous Williams! In each case, name them.

1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".

2. This French composer has received 8 Academy Award nominations.
He has worked on a variety of commercially successful films
including "The Grand Budapest Hotel", "The King's Speech", and
"Zero Dark Thirty".

3. This American composer and conductor had a very successful career
spanning over 5 decades before his death in 2004. Memorable
films include "The Ten Commandments", "The Magnificent Seven",
"The Great Escape", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Name him.

4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.

5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
"The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
films since 1979. Name him.

6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
in both television and movies. He created the title theme
for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
Name him.

7. This American's score for "Titanic" is the best-selling
orchestral film soundtrack of all time. He has collaborated
with a variety of directors, including Mel Gibson ("Braveheart")
and Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind"). Name him.

8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.

9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.

10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
"Rambo" movies.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
onpx naq fhccyl vg.

* Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries

A. Sports Rivalries

A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
Name *either*.

A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
their third fight known by?

B. Rival Towns on TV

B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?
B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?

C. Rivalries in History

C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
industry advocated alternating current. The company he
founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

D. National Rivalries

D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
victories. Name *either*.

E. Toronto High-School Rivalries

E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
Name *either*.

E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
fictional Toronto school?

F. Literary Rivals

F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."

F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
way to the top if he can do it."

--
Mark Brader "It's okay to have our own language if we feel
Toronto we need it, but why does it have to be used

Dan Blum

Aug 28, 2015, 9:34:27 AM8/28/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not John Williams

> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.

Morricone

> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.

Elfman

> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.

Previn

> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.

Horner

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries

> A. Sports Rivalries

> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

Navratilova

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

Rumble in the Jungle

> B. Rival Towns on TV

> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?

Shelbyville

> C. Rivalries in History

> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

Nikola Tesla

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

Aaron Burr

> D. National Rivalries

> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Brazil

> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries

> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?

DeGrassi High

> F. Literary Rivals

> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."

Nabakov

> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."

Gore Vidal

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 28, 2015, 9:48:18 AM8/28/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
> Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
> music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
> include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".

Giogrio Moroder

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

Martina Navratilova

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

Rumble in the Jungle

> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India and Pakistan

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Brazil and Argentina

> E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
> and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
> rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
> Name *either*.

I got exhausted by naming two on the previous questions, so I sleep
over this one.

Peter Smyth

Aug 28, 2015, 1:25:30 PM8/28/15
James Horner
> 8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
> win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
> he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
> in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
> We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.
>
> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.
>
> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name either.
Evert, Navratilova
> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?
Rumble in the Jungle, Thriller in Manila
> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?
> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?
Shelbyville
> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.
Tesla
> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.
Hamilton
> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name either.
India, Pakistan
> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name either.
Brazil, Argentina
> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries
>
> E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
> and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
> rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
> Name either.
>
> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?
>
> F. Literary Rivals
>
> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."
>
> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."

Peter Smyth

Joshua Kreitzer

Aug 28, 2015, 8:31:32 PM8/28/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not John
> Williams
>
> 1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
> Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
> music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
> include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".

Hans Zimmer

> 2. This French composer has received 8 Academy Award nominations.
> He has worked on a variety of commercially successful films
> including "The Grand Budapest Hotel", "The King's Speech", and
> "Zero Dark Thirty".

Despres

> 3. This American composer and conductor had a very successful career
> spanning over 5 decades before his death in 2004. Memorable
> films include "The Ten Commandments", "The Magnificent Seven",
> "The Great Escape", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Name him.

Elmer Bernstein

> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.

Nino Rota

> 5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
> Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
> director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
> films since 1979. Name him.

Howard Shore

> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.

Danny Elfman

> 7. This American's score for "Titanic" is the best-selling
> orchestral film soundtrack of all time. He has collaborated
> with a variety of directors, including Mel Gibson ("Braveheart")
> and Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind"). Name him.

James Horner

> 8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
> win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
> he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
> in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
> We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.

Marvin Hamlisch

> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.

Andre Previn

> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.

Jerry Goldsmith

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq fhccyl vg.

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

Martina Navratilova

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

the Thrilla in Manila

> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?

Shelbyville

> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

Westinghouse

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

Aaron Burr

> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Brazil

> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries
>
> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?

Degrassi High; Degrassi Junior High

> F. Literary Rivals
>
> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."

Vladimir Nabokov

> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."

Gore Vidal

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Aug 28, 2015, 8:39:53 PM8/28/15
Bernard Hermann?
> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.
>
> 5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
> Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
> director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
> films since 1979. Name him.
>
> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.
Danny Elfman
Chris Evert-Lloyd
> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?
The Thrilla in Manila
> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?
> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?
Shelbyville
> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.
Nikolai Tesla
> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.
Aaron Burr

Björn Lundin

Aug 29, 2015, 7:50:57 AM8/29/15
On 2015-08-28 06:22, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-04-20,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not John Williams
>
> Yes, Virginia, there are other people who compose film music
> besides the ubiquitous Williams! In each case, name them.
>
> 1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
> Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
> music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
> include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".

Elton John is not German - So I guess this is other music in the Lion
King but his.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

Chris Evert

> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

Nicholas Tesla ?

> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Brasil
--
Björn

Pete

Aug 29, 2015, 9:45:28 PM8/29/15
Elmer Bernstein

> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.

Morricone

> 5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
> Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
> director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
> films since 1979. Name him.

Horner

> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.
>
> 7. This American's score for "Titanic" is the best-selling
> orchestral film soundtrack of all time. He has collaborated
> with a variety of directors, including Mel Gibson ("Braveheart")
> and Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind"). Name him.

Horner

> 8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
> win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
> he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
> in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
> We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.

Marvin Hamlisch

> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.

Andre Previn

> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.

Courage

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

Evert

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

The Thrilla in Manila

> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?
> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?

Shelbyville

> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

Tesla

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

Burr

> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Brazil

> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries
>
> E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
> and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
> rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
> Name *either*.
>
> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?
>
> F. Literary Rivals
>
> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."
>
> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."

O'Neill

Pete

Dan Tilque

Aug 30, 2015, 6:30:25 AM8/30/15
Billie Jean King

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

The Thrilla in Manila

> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?
> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?
>
> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

Tesla

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

Burr

> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Brazil

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Aug 30, 2015, 1:41:25 PM8/30/15
On Friday, August 28, 2015 at 12:22:23 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-04-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not John Williams
>
> Yes, Virginia, there are other people who compose film music
> besides the ubiquitous Williams! In each case, name them.
>
> 1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
> Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
> music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
> include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".

hans zimmer

> 2. This French composer has received 8 Academy Award nominations.
> He has worked on a variety of commercially successful films
> including "The Grand Budapest Hotel", "The King's Speech", and
> "Zero Dark Thirty".

> 3. This American composer and conductor had a very successful career
> spanning over 5 decades before his death in 2004. Memorable
> films include "The Ten Commandments", "The Magnificent Seven",
> "The Great Escape", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Name him.

elmer bernstein

> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.

rota?

> 5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
> Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
> director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
> films since 1979. Name him.

> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.

elfman

> 7. This American's score for "Titanic" is the best-selling
> orchestral film soundtrack of all time. He has collaborated
> with a variety of directors, including Mel Gibson ("Braveheart")
> and Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind"). Name him.

horner

> 8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
> win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
> he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
> in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
> We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.

marvin hamlisch

> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.

> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

chris evert (from the wheaties box...)

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

the thrilla in manilla

> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?

cat mountain

> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?

shelbyville

> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

westinghouse

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

aaron burr

> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

pakistan

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

brazil

> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries
>
> E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
> and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
> rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
> Name *either*.

northern ; southern (did I need to include 'secondary school' for each?)

> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?

degrassi high

> F. Literary Rivals
>
> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."

vladimir nabokov

> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."

gore vidal

swp

Mark Brader

Aug 31, 2015, 12:19:20 AM8/31/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-04-20,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 1 is over and STEPHEN PERRY has won. Congratulations!

> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not
> John Williams

> Yes, Virginia, there are other people who compose film music
> besides the ubiquitous Williams! In each case, name them.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
> Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
> music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
> include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".

Hans Zimmer. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 2. This French composer has received 8 Academy Award nominations.
> He has worked on a variety of commercially successful films
> including "The Grand Budapest Hotel", "The King's Speech", and
> "Zero Dark Thirty".

Alexandre Desplat. Sorry, "Despres" was not quite close enough for
"almost correct".

> 3. This American composer and conductor had a very successful career
> spanning over 5 decades before his death in 2004. Memorable
> films include "The Ten Commandments", "The Magnificent Seven",
> "The Great Escape", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Name him.

Elmer Bernstein. Both names were required. 4 for Joshua, Pete,
and Stephen.

> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.

Nino Rota. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
> Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
> director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
> films since 1979. Name him.

Howard Shore. 4 for Joshua.

> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.

Danny Elfman. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, and Stephen.

> 7. This American's score for "Titanic" is the best-selling
> orchestral film soundtrack of all time. He has collaborated
> with a variety of directors, including Mel Gibson ("Braveheart")
> and Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind"). Name him.

James Horner. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
> win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
> he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
> in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
> We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.

Marvin Hamlisch. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Stephen.

> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.

André Previn. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.

Jerry Goldsmith. 4 for Joshua.

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries

> A. Sports Rivalries

> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.

Chris Evert, Martina Navratilova. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Peter
(the hard way), Joshua, Jason, Björn, Pete, and Stephen.

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?

"Thrilla in Manila". 4 for Joshua, Jason, Pete, Dan Tilque,
and Stephen. 2 for Peter.

> B. Rival Towns on TV

> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?

Woolerton.

> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?

Shelbyville. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Pete, and Stephen.

> C. Rivalries in History

> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.

George Westinghouse. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

Nikola Tesla worked for Westinghouse, but as the name suggests,
the Westinghouse company was founded by Westinghouse.

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.

Aaron Burr. (Dueled with Alexander Hamilton.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, Jason, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> D. National Rivalries

> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.

India, Pakistan. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Peter (the hard way),
Joshua, Björn, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.

Argentina, Brazil. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland (the hard way), Peter
(the hard way), Joshua, Björn, Pete, Dan Tilque, and Stephen.

> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries

> E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
> and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
> rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
> Name *either*.

North Toronto Collegiate Institute, Northern Secondary School.
2 for Stephen.

> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?

Degrassi. (I accepted anything with Degrassi.) 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua (the hard way), and Stephen.

> F. Literary Rivals

> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."

Vladimir Nabokov. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."

Gore Vidal. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Sci Lit Can Spo His Ent Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 36 40 28 12 36 32 24 42 214
Joshua Kreitzer 28 16 24 8 40 12 36 40 184
Dan Blum 8 32 32 4 12 16 8 32 132
Gareth Owen 24 36 24 0 36 7 -- -- 127
Peter Smyth 12 32 12 0 24 0 4 18 102
Pete Gayde 12 8 0 8 32 4 16 24 100
Dan Tilque 4 24 4 16 24 8 0 16 92
Bruce Bowler 0 28 24 12 24 0 -- -- 88
"Calvin" 20 12 12 0 28 7 -- -- 79
Marc Dashevsky 16 32 8 0 -- -- -- -- 56
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- 24 8 4 16 52
Erland Sommarskog 8 8 4 4 8 0 0 12 44
Björn Lundin 8 12 8 0 0 0 0 12 40

--
Mark Brader "It is hard to be brave", said Piglet, sniffing
Toronto slightly, "when you're only a Very Small Animal."

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 31, 2015, 3:06:42 AM8/31/15
In article <VfednZ27ctxjfELI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 9 - Entertainment - Movie Composers who are Not John Williams
>
> Yes, Virginia, there are other people who compose film music
> besides the ubiquitous Williams! In each case, name them.
>
> 1. This German-born composer is widely recognized as one of
> Hollywood's most innovative talents for integrating electronic
> music with traditional orchestra arrangements. His 150 films
> include "The Lion King", "Gladiator", and "Twelve Years a Slave".
>
> 2. This French composer has received 8 Academy Award nominations.
> He has worked on a variety of commercially successful films
> including "The Grand Budapest Hotel", "The King's Speech", and
> "Zero Dark Thirty".
>
> 3. This American composer and conductor had a very successful career
> spanning over 5 decades before his death in 2004. Memorable
> films include "The Ten Commandments", "The Magnificent Seven",
> "The Great Escape", and "To Kill a Mockingbird". Name him.
Elmer Bernstein

> 4. This Italian composer, pianist and conductor won his best
> original score Oscar for "The Godfather: Part II" in 1975.
> Two of the directors he worked most closely with were Franco
> Zeffirelli, for whom he scored "Romeo and Juliet", and Frederico
> Fellini, with whom he worked on "La Strada" in 1954. Name him.
Nino Rota

> 5. This Canadian has composed scores for over 80 films, most notably
> "The Lord of the Rings" trilogy, for which he won 3 Academy
> Awards. He has also been a consistent collaborator with
> director David Cronenberg, having scored all but one of his
> films since 1979. Name him.
>
> 6. This American composer, record producer, and actor born in 1953
> was also the lead singer for the band Oingo Boingo. He's worked
> in both television and movies. He created the title theme
> for "The Simpsons". While he has yet to win an Oscar, he did
> win a Grammy for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a
> Motion Picture for Tim Burton's "Batman". He also provided the
> voice for Bonejangles, the skeleton in Burton's "Corpse Bride".
> Name him.
Danny Elfman

> 7. This American's score for "Titanic" is the best-selling
> orchestral film soundtrack of all time. He has collaborated
> with a variety of directors, including Mel Gibson ("Braveheart")
> and Ron Howard ("A Beautiful Mind"). Name him.
>
> 8. This American composer and conductor is only one of 12 people to
> win the EGOT (an Emmy, a Grammy, an Oscar, and a Tony). As well,
> he is only one of 10 people to win 3 or more Oscars in one night:
> in 1973, he took home statues for both "The Sting" and "The Way
> We Were". Name this talented musician who passed away in 2012.
Marvin Hamlish

> 9. While younger audiences might know him for his connection to
> the Woody Allen scandal, this composer has taken home 4 Academy
> Awards, two in the 1950s for "Gigi" and "Porgy and Bess" and two
> in the 1960s for "Irma la Douce" and "My Fair Lady". Name him.
Andrê Previn

> 10. In 1968 this American composer garnered much critical attention
> for his controversial soundtrack to "Planet of the Apes", which
> included having the French horn players reverse their mouthpieces
> as well as using stainless steel mixing bowls and Brazilian drums
> to produce ape imitations. Name this innovative composer, who
> also worked on "Chinatown", five "Star Trek" movies, and three
> "Rambo" movies.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh
> nafjrerq "Oreafgrva", gur svefg anzr vf erdhverq. Cyrnfr tb
> onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Rivalries
>
> A. Sports Rivalries
>
> A1. These female tennis stars engaged in a 15-year rivalry,
> from 1973 to 1988. They played 80 matches against each
> other during that time, including 14 Grand Slam finals.
> Name *either*.
Martina Navratolova

> A2. Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier fought three times: Frazier
> won the first fight and Ali the other two. What name is
> their third fight known by?
Thrilla in Manila

> B. Rival Towns on TV
>
> B1. What is the name of Dog River's rival town on "Corner Gas"?
> B2. What is the name of Springfield's rival on "The Simpsons"?
Shelbyville

> C. Rivalries in History
>
> C1. During the War of the Currents, Thomas Edison advocated
> direct current whereas this pioneer of the electrical
> industry advocated alternating current. The company he
> founded is now known as the CBS Corporation. Name him.
Tesla

> C2. Name the third vice-president of the US, who shot and
> mortally wounded a former treasury secretary.
Aaron Burr

> D. National Rivalries
>
> D1. These two nations have fought each other in three major
> wars since achieving independence in 1947 -- in 1947, 1965,
> and 1971. There was also an unofficial war in 1999 as well
> as several border skirmishes. Name *either*.
India

> D2. Although politically there is no tension between the pair,
> these two nations have a heated soccer rivalry. They have
> combined for 7 World Cup victories and 22 Copa America
> victories. Name *either*.
Brazil

> E. Toronto High-School Rivalries
>
> E1. These Toronto high schools, one located at 17 Broadway Av.
> and the other at 851 Mount Pleasant Rd., have a natural
> rivalry because of their size and close proximity.
> Name *either*.
>
> E2. Lakehurst Secondary School was the rival school of what
> fictional Toronto school?
>
> F. Literary Rivals
>
> F1. Name the Russian-born novelist who said: "As to Hemingway,
> I read him for the first time in the early 'forties,
> something about bells, balls and bulls, and loathed it."
Nabokov

> F2. Name the American-born novelist, essayist, journalist, and
> playwright who referred to John Updike in this way: "I can't
> stand him. Nobody will think to ask because I'm supposedly
> jealous, but I out-sell him. I'm more popular than he is,
> and I don't take him very seriously... oh, he comes on like
> the worker's son, like a modern-day D.H. Lawrence, but he's
> just another boring little middle-class boy hustling his
> way to the top if he can do it."
Gore Vidal

Mark Brader

Aug 31, 2015, 6:04:06 AM8/31/15
If Marc Dashevsky had posted his answers on time, he would have
scored 20 points on Round 9 and 32 on Round 10.
--
Mark Brader "The people have spoken...
Toronto And they must be punished!"