QFTCI5EP Game 7, Rounds 9-10: before/after, dress day challenge

Mark Brader

Jul 16, 2017, 1:40:01 AM7/16/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters

Each question will describe to two people or things, where the
last part of the first one is the first part of the last one.
You answer by naming both people/things in overlapping form.
For example, we say "Late Hollywood star of over 250 movies, best
known for his westerns -- and an institution of higher learning
based in Detroit". You say, "John Wayne State University."

Full answers are required; they'll be up to 4 words long.

*Note*: In some cases the two overlapped parts might not be
identically spelled or might involve partial words -- for
example, a "Big Mac" and "McLean Stevenson" might make a
"Big MacLean Stevenson".

1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
office is currently located.

2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
of England who died in 1626.

3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
who was Archie Bunker.

4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.

6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".

8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.

9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
and nickname for a Canadian province.

10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
and North American protest group created in 2012.

** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day

Your categories are:

A. A Line
B. Empire
C. Flare
D. Peplum
E. High-Low
F. Shift

Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.

* A. Geography: A Line -- New York

Yes, it's public transit again.

A1. What major New York train station is located at
34th St. subway station on the A train?

A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
words for full points.

* B. History: Empire

B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
transcontinental empire?

B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
the death of which leader?

* C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is

C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
the term for this phenomenon?

C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
perceived on Earth?

* D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films

"Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.

D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?

D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
of the peplum genre?

* E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games

E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
pot between a high hand and a low hand?

E2. What is the highest point value of a hand in the game
of baccarat?

* F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels

F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
of one reading or hearing another.

F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
and revisits events from different points of view and time
frames. Name the novel.

--
Mark Brader | "It is refreshing to have Republican presidential
Toronto | candidates we can believe about *something*.
| And... what Dole says about Bush." --Craig B. Leman

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 16, 2017, 1:59:38 AM7/16/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:k8KdnY_EHem2YffEnZ2dnUU7-
QPN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
>
> Each question will describe to two people or things, where the
> last part of the first one is the first part of the last one.
> You answer by naming both people/things in overlapping form.
>
> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.

Kanye West Wing

> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.

Pope Francis Bacon

> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

Dodd-Frank Sinatra

> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

Stephen Harper Lee

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".

North Dakota Johnson

> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.

Patti LaBelle Province

> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.

Conrad Black Lives Matter

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York
>
> Yes, it's public transit again.
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

Penn Station

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.

Rockaway Beach

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

Ottoman Empire

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?

Steve Reeves

> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?

"Conan the Barbarian"

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games
>
> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?

Chicago

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels
>
> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.

"Slaughterhouse Five"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 16, 2017, 3:09:18 AM7/16/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
>
> Each question will describe to two people or things, where the
> last part of the first one is the first part of the last one.
> You answer by naming both people/things in overlapping form.
> For example, we say "Late Hollywood star of over 250 movies, best
> known for his westerns -- and an institution of higher learning
> based in Detroit". You say, "John Wayne State University."
>
> Full answers are required; they'll be up to 4 words long.
>
> *Note*: In some cases the two overlapped parts might not be
> identically spelled or might involve partial words -- for
> example, a "Big Mac" and "McLean Stevenson" might make a
> "Big MacLean Stevenson".
>
> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.
>
> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.

Pope Francis Bacon

> 3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
> who was Archie Bunker.
>
> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

Dodd-Frank Sinatra

> 5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
> carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.
>
> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

Stephen Harper Lee

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".
>
> 8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
> and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.
>
> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.
>
> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.

Conrad Black Lives Matter

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. A Line
> B. Empire
> C. Flare
> D. Peplum
> E. High-Low
> F. Shift
>
> Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.
>

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York
>
> Yes, it's public transit again.
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

Pennsylvania Station

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.

Times Square

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

the Turkish Empire

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?

Hammerabi

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is
>
> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?

coronal mass ejection

> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?

aurora

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?
>
> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?

Conan the Barbarian

--
Dan Tilque

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 16, 2017, 4:49:16 AM7/16/17
In article <k8KdnY_EHem2YffE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
>
> Each question will describe to two people or things, where the
> last part of the first one is the first part of the last one.
> You answer by naming both people/things in overlapping form.
> For example, we say "Late Hollywood star of over 250 movies, best
> known for his westerns -- and an institution of higher learning
> based in Detroit". You say, "John Wayne State University."
>
> Full answers are required; they'll be up to 4 words long.
>
> *Note*: In some cases the two overlapped parts might not be
> identically spelled or might involve partial words -- for
> example, a "Big Mac" and "McLean Stevenson" might make a
> "Big MacLean Stevenson".
>
> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.
>
> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.
Pope Francis Bacon

> 3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
> who was Archie Bunker.
>
> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.
Dodd-Frank Sinatra

> 5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
> carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.
saltpeter Jennings

> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.
Steven Harper Lee

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".
>
> 8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
> and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.
>
> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.
>
> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.
>

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. A Line
> B. Empire
> C. Flare
> D. Peplum
> E. High-Low
> F. Shift
>
> Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.
>

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York
>
> Yes, it's public transit again.
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?
Penn Station

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.
>

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?
Ottoman empire

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?
Hammurabi

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is
>
> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?
>
> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?
Aurorae

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?
>
> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?
Conan the Barbarian

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games
>
> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?
Omaha

> E2. What is the highest point value of a hand in the game
> of baccarat?
>

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels
>
> F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
> six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
> the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
> of one reading or hearing another.
>
> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.
Catch 22

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 16, 2017, 5:48:21 AM7/16/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

Dodd Frank Sinatra

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

Times Square?

> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

Ottoman

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?

Nebkuanessar

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games
>
> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?

Omaha

Peter Smyth

Jul 16, 2017, 7:19:34 AM7/16/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
>
> Each question will describe to two people or things, where the
> last part of the first one is the first part of the last one.
> You answer by naming both people/things in overlapping form.
> For example, we say "Late Hollywood star of over 250 movies, best
> known for his westerns -- and an institution of higher learning
> based in Detroit". You say, "John Wayne State University."
>
> Full answers are required; they'll be up to 4 words long.
>
> Note: In some cases the two overlapped parts might not be
> identically spelled or might involve partial words -- for
> example, a "Big Mac" and "McLean Stevenson" might make a
> "Big MacLean Stevenson".
>
> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.
Kanye West Wing
> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.
Pope Francis Bacon
> 3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
> who was Archie Bunker.
>
> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.
>
> 5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
> carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.
>
> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.
Stephen Harper Lee
> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".
North Dakota Fanning
> 8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
> and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.
>
> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.
>
> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.
Conrad Black Lives Matter

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. A Line
> B. Empire
> C. Flare
> D. Peplum
> E. High-Low
> F. Shift
>
> Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.
>

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York
>
> Yes, it's public transit again.
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?
Penn
> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.
Far Rockaway

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?
Ottoman
> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?
Hammurabi

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is
>
> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?
>
> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?
>

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?
>
> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?
>

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games
>
> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?
Omaha
> E2. What is the highest point value of a hand in the game
> of baccarat?
>

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels
>
> F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
> six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
> the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
> of one reading or hearing another.
Cloud Atlas
> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Jul 16, 2017, 10:33:44 AM7/16/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters

> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.

Kanye West Wing

> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.

Prince Philip Sidney

> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

Dodd-Frank Sinatra

> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

Stephen Harper Lee

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".

North Dakota Fanning

> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.

Conrad Black Lives Matter

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York

> Yes, it's public transit again.

> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

Pennsylvania Station

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.

Staten Island Ferry Terminal

> * B. History: Empire

> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

Ottoman Empire

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?

Hammurabi

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is

> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?

corona discharge

> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?

aurora

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films

> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?

Buster Crabbe

> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?

Conan the Barbarian

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games

> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?

Chicago

> E2. What is the highest point value of a hand in the game
> of baccarat?

5; 21

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels

> F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
> six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
> the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
> of one reading or hearing another.

Cloud Stories

> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.

Catch-22

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Jul 16, 2017, 4:56:28 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 1:40:01 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
>

> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.

kanye west wing

> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.

pope francis bacon

> 3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
> who was Archie Bunker.

demarre carroll o'connor

> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

dodd-frank sinatra

> 5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
> carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.

salt peter jennings

> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

stephen harper lee

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".

north dakota fanning

> 8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
> and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.

sara connor mcdavid

> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.

patti la belle province

> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.

conrad black lives matter

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. A Line
> B. Empire
> C. Flare
> D. Peplum
> E. High-Low
> F. Shift
>
> Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.
>

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York
>
> Yes, it's public transit again.
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

penn station

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.

rockaway beach

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

ottoman empire

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?

hammurabi

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is
>
> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?

coronal mass ejection

> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?

northern lights

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?

steve reeves (not familiar with that specific movie, so this is a wag)

> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?

conan the barbarian

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games
>
> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?

omaha

9

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels
>
> F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
> six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
> the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
> of one reading or hearing another.

cloud atlas

> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.

catch-22

swp

Calvin

Jul 16, 2017, 7:11:18 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 3:40:01 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters
>

> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.
>
> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.

Pope Francis Bacon

> 3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
> who was Archie Bunker.
>
> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

Dodd Frank Sinatra

> 5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
> carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.
>
> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

Stephen Harper Lee

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".

North Dakota Fanning

> 8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
> and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.

Sarah Connor Johnson

> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.
>
> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.

Lord Black Hand, Lord Black September

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day
>
> Your categories are:
>
> A. A Line
> B. Empire
> C. Flare
> D. Peplum
> E. High-Low
> F. Shift
>
> Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.
>

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York
>
> Yes, it's public transit again.
>
> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

Union Station?

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.
>

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

Ottoman

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?

Darius, Xerces

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is
>
> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?

Solar wind

> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?

Aurora Australis

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?

Hartingay

> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?

Conan the Barbarian

9

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels
>
> F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
> six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
> the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
> of one reading or hearing another.
>
> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.

Catch-22

cheers,
calvin

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 17, 2017, 5:38:07 PM7/17/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 1:40:01 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
Kanye West Wing
Grand Central Station
> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.
53rd St.

> * B. History: Empire
>
> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?
>
> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?
>

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is
>
> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?
>
> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?
>

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films
>
> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.
>
> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?
>
> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?
"Conan The Barbarian"

Mark Brader

Jul 19, 2017, 2:10:33 AM7/19/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-03-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 7 is over and JOSHUA KREITZER is the winner.
Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 7, Round 9 - Word Mash-Ups, or Before-and-Afters

> Each question will describe to two people or things, where the
> last part of the first one is the first part of the last one.
> You answer by naming both people/things in overlapping form.
> For example, we say "Late Hollywood star of over 250 movies, best
> known for his westerns -- and an institution of higher learning
> based in Detroit". You say, "John Wayne State University."

> Full answers are required; they'll be up to 4 words long.

> *Note*: In some cases the two overlapped parts might not be
> identically spelled or might involve partial words -- for
> example, a "Big Mac" and "McLean Stevenson" might make a
> "Big MacLean Stevenson".

> 1. Somewhat erratic hip-hop music star -- and where Steve Bannon's
> office is currently located.

Kanye West Wing. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Jason.

> 2. An 80-year-old, originally from Argentina, who is one of the
> best-known people in the world -- and a former Lord Chancellor
> of England who died in 1626.

Pope Francis Bacon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Stephen,
and Calvin.

> 3. Very recently injured Toronto Raptors forward and the actor
> who was Archie Bunker.

DeMarre Carroll O'Connor. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. High-profile U.S. legislation to reform Wall Street and protect
> consumers -- and legendary crooner from Hoboken, New Jersey.

Dodd Frank Sinatra. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Erland, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Calvin.

> 5. A potassium nitrate compound that was wrongly thought to reduce
> carnal urges -- and a long-time CBC-TV news anchor.

Saltpeter Mansbridge.

Remember, "these questions were written to be asked in Toronto
on 2017-03-06, and should be interpreted accordingly". No doubt
this question became harder when Peter Mansbridge retired earlier
this month.

> 6. Extremely low-profile former Canadian leader -- and famous US
> author who, it turns out, really only had one good novel in her.

Stephen Harper Lee. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Dan Blum,
Stephen, and Calvin.

> 7. US state whose capital is Bismarck -- and the female star of
> the movie "Fifty Shades of Grey".

North Dakota Johnson. (Not Fanning!) 4 for Joshua.

> 8. The name of the main female character in the Terminator movies --
> and, arguably, the best young hockey player in the world today.

Sarah Connor McDavid. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Grammy-Award-winning rhythm-and-blues singer originally known for
> iconic disco song "Lady Marmalade", with its lascivious lyrics --
> and nickname for a Canadian province.

Patti LaBelle Province. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 10. Thesaurus-loving Canadian businessman and convicted felon --
> and North American protest group created in 2012.

Conrad Black Lives Matter. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum,
and Stephen.

> ** Game 7, Round 10 - Challenge Round - National Dress Day

> Your categories are:

> A. A Line
> B. Empire
> C. Flare
> D. Peplum
> E. High-Low
> F. Shift

> Well, we'll give you a bit more detail than that.

> * A. Geography: A Line -- New York

> Yes, it's public transit again.

> A1. What major New York train station is located at
> 34th St. subway station on the A train?

Penn(sylvania) Station. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter,
Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> A2. The A Train runs from 207 St. / Inwood station, in Manhattan,
> to where? Hint: The place shares part of its name with
> a famous Ramones song. Your answer must be at least two
> words for full points.

The A actually splits into three branches ending at Far Rockaway /
Mott Av., Rockaway Park Beach / 116 St., and Ozone Park / Lefferts
Blvd.; I'm accepting either part of any of these, as well as the
actual song title, which is "Rockaway Beach", and scoring "Rockaway"
alone as almost correct. 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Stephen.

> * B. History: Empire

> B1. The Byzantine Empire survived the fall of the Roman
> Empire and continued until 1453 when it fell to what other
> transcontinental empire?

Ottoman Empire. Yes, it was Turkish, but that's not what it
was named. 4 for Joshua, Marc, Erland, Peter, Dan Blum, Stephen,
and Calvin.

> B2. The Babylonian Empire existed from 1894 BC and expanded
> from 1792 to 1750 BC, but then rapidly fell apart -- after
> the death of which leader?

Hammurabi. 4 for Dan Tilque, Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * C. Science: Flare -- Solar, that is

> C1. A solar flare is often accompanied by an unusually large
> release of plasma and electro-magnetic radiation. What is
> the term for this phenomenon?

Coronal mass ejection. (Not "discharge".) 4 for Dan Tilque
and Stephen.

> C2. Solar flares strongly influence space "weather" close to
> Earth by producing streams of highly energetic particles
> in the solar wind. What is the term for these events as
> perceived on Earth?

Geomagnetic storm. Auroras are only one aspect of it.

> * D. Entertainment: Peplum -- Films

> "Peplum film" is a term given to the sword-and-sandal epics that
> dominated the Italian movie industry from 1958 to 1965.

(Who knew?)

> D1. What American bodybuilder and actor starred in over 14
> peplum films, including "Jason and the Argonauts" in 1959?

Steve Reeves. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> D2. What 1982 Arnold Schwarzenegger film spawned a resurgence
> of the peplum genre?

"Conan the Barbarian". 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Marc, Dan Blum,
Stephen, Calvin, and Jason.

> * E. Sports: High-Low -- in Card Games

> E1. What poker variant is named after a US city and splits the
> pot between a high hand and a low hand?

Omaha High-Low. 4 for Marc, Erland, Peter, Stephen, and Calvin.

> E2. What is the highest point value of a hand in the game
> of baccarat?

9. 4 for Stephen and Calvin.

> * F. Literature: Shift -- or Time-Shifting in Novels

> F1. Name the David Mitchell novel that tells the beginning of
> six stories, then concludes them in the second half of
> the book. All the stories are linked, as by the protagonist
> of one reading or hearing another.

"Cloud Atlas". 4 for Peter and Stephen.

> F2. This classic novel revolves around pilots in World War II
> and revisits events from different points of view and time
> frames. Name the novel.

"Catch-22". 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Spo Ent Can Geo Lit Mis Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 8 20 40 4 31 28 28 20 167
Dan Blum 20 26 32 4 30 31 16 20 159
Dan Tilque 4 28 16 11 36 8 16 16 123
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 24 0 20 24 12 24 104
Pete Gayde 4 32 28 0 24 10 -- -- 98
Peter Smyth -- -- 16 0 32 0 16 24 88
Jason Kreitzer 0 16 20 0 16 20 4 4 80
"Calvin" 12 20 14 0 -- -- 12 20 78
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- -- -- 32 44 76
Bruce Bowler -- -- 24 0 32 4 -- -- 60
Erland Sommarskog -- -- -- -- 24 0 4 8 36
Gareth Owen 0 27 -- -- -- -- -- -- 27

--
Mark Brader "Those who do not know USENET
Toronto are doomed to repeat each other."