QFTCIUA Game 4, Rounds 9-10: TO in WW1, clergy challenge

Mark Brader

Nov 1, 2014, 4:33:58 AM11/1/14
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-10-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection

Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its
100th anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.

1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the
leg and was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded
in Spain and China. Who he?

2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
military hospitals during the War. What procedure?

3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's
granddaughter at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?

4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
saw her first air show. Name her.

5. The most famous of their kind during WW1, who or what were
the Dumbbells?

6. One prominent Toronto family was hard hit by WW1, with George
Ryerson killed and his brother Arthur wounded in the battle of
Ypres. Their mother Mary died in the sinking of the Lusitania,
en route to viewing her son's body. Name their famous forebear,
the father of public education in Ontario. First name required.

7. A dubious Toronto landmark during the Great War was the Stanley
Barracks, adjacent to the CNE grounds. What was it used for?

8. With its working-class immigrant population, Toronto's
then-suburb of Earlscourt was deemed to have lost more young
men per capita than any municipality in Canada. Name *any one*
of the major streets that meet in or define the borders of the
former Earlscourt.

9. Max Aitken, a Canadian millionaire living in London, was given
the title of "official eyewitness" to the War -- i.e. its
official photographer and painter -- by the government of Canada.
By what noble name is Max Aitken better known?

10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
to his then-uncertain identity?

* Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month

Yes, October is Clergy Appreciation Month, according to
hallmark.com. Hug a priest, rabbi, or imam today.

A. Science

A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
Who was he?

A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

B. History

B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
But who was that priest?

B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

C. Literature

C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
pen name.

C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.

D. Geography

D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
"the American Moses", is in what city?

D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
America's primary waterways. Which one?

E. Entertainment

E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
Can you answer this question? I know you could.

E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

F. Canadiana

F1. Name the Canadian evangelical talk show hosted by David
Mainse that became the flagship program of the
Christian-themed Crossroads Television System.

F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
Name him.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"History tells us that the Boston 'T' Party was succeeded

Björn Lundin

Nov 1, 2014, 5:21:03 AM11/1/14
On 2014-11-01 09:33, Mark Brader wrote:

> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?

washing hands between patients

> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Galilei

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

gulf of s:t Lawrence

--
Björn

Peter Smyth

Nov 1, 2014, 5:35:49 AM11/1/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection

> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?
Unknown Soldier

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month
>
> Yes, October is Clergy Appreciation Month, according to
> hallmark.com. Hug a priest, rabbi, or imam today.
>
> A. Science
>
> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?
Gregor Mendel
> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.
Copernicus
> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?
Thomas Becket
> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.
Billy Graham
> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.
Lewis Carroll
> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.
Karol Wotylja
> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?
Salt Lake City
> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?
St Lawrence
> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.
>
> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?
>
> F. Canadiana
>
> F1. Name the Canadian evangelical talk show hosted by David
> Mainse that became the flagship program of the
> Christian-themed Crossroads Television System.
>
> F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
> Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
> Name him.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 1, 2014, 10:13:11 AM11/1/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:

> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Gallilei

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Pope Pius VI

> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

C.S. Lewis

> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Salt Lake City

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Mississippi

> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

No, I couldn't.

Dan Blum

Nov 1, 2014, 10:44:28 AM11/1/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection

> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earheart

> 7. A dubious Toronto landmark during the Great War was the Stanley
> Barracks, adjacent to the CNE grounds. What was it used for?

holding Central Powers citizens

> 9. Max Aitken, a Canadian millionaire living in London, was given
> the title of "official eyewitness" to the War -- i.e. its
> official photographer and painter -- by the government of Canada.
> By what noble name is Max Aitken better known?

Lord Beaverbrook

> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?

Unknown Soldier

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month

> A. Science

> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Copernicus

> B. History

> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Thomas Becket

> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham

> C. Literature

> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carroll

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.

Pope John Paul II

> D. Geography

> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Salt Lake City; Provo

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Mississippi; Missouri

> E. Entertainment

> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Fred Rogers

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

Michael Jackson

> F. Canadiana

> F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
> Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
> Name him.

Charles Templeton

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Blum

Nov 1, 2014, 10:45:50 AM11/1/14
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> > E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> > created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> > Can you answer this question? I know you could.

> No, I couldn't.

That's OK; he likes you just the way you are.

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 1, 2014, 11:10:36 AM11/1/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nYWdnXoBXs9oB8nJnZ2dnUU7-
aOd...@vex.net:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?

blood transfusion

> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhart

> 9. Max Aitken, a Canadian millionaire living in London, was given
> the title of "official eyewitness" to the War -- i.e. its
> official photographer and painter -- by the government of Canada.
> By what noble name is Max Aitken better known?

Lord Beaverbrook

> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?

the Unknown Soldier

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month
>
> A. Science
>
> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Copernicus

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Thomas a Becket

> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham

> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carroll

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.

Wojtyla

> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Provo

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Mississippi River

> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Fred Rogers

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

Michael Jackson

> F. Canadiana
>
> F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
> Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
> Name him.

Douglas

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Nov 1, 2014, 1:10:51 PM11/1/14
Amelia Earheart?
Mendel
> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.
Galileo
> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?
Thomas More
> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.
Billy Graham
> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.
>
> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.
>
> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?
Salt Lake City
> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?
>
> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.
Fred Rogers

Pete

Nov 1, 2014, 2:38:32 PM11/1/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:nYWdnXoBXs9oB8nJnZ2dnUU7-
aOd...@vex.net:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-10-06,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its
> 100th anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.
>
> 1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
> Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the
> leg and was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded
> in Spain and China. Who he?
>
> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?

Blood donation; Blood transfusion

> 3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
> the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's
> granddaughter at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?
>
> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhart

> 5. The most famous of their kind during WW1, who or what were
> the Dumbbells?
>
> 6. One prominent Toronto family was hard hit by WW1, with George
> Ryerson killed and his brother Arthur wounded in the battle of
> Ypres. Their mother Mary died in the sinking of the Lusitania,
> en route to viewing her son's body. Name their famous forebear,
> the father of public education in Ontario. First name required.
>
> 7. A dubious Toronto landmark during the Great War was the Stanley
> Barracks, adjacent to the CNE grounds. What was it used for?

German prisoners; Flu epidemic quarantine

> 8. With its working-class immigrant population, Toronto's
> then-suburb of Earlscourt was deemed to have lost more young
> men per capita than any municipality in Canada. Name *any one*
> of the major streets that meet in or define the borders of the
> former Earlscourt.

Yonge; Bloor

> 9. Max Aitken, a Canadian millionaire living in London, was given
> the title of "official eyewitness" to the War -- i.e. its
> official photographer and painter -- by the government of Canada.
> By what noble name is Max Aitken better known?
>
> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?

Known only to God

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month
>
> Yes, October is Clergy Appreciation Month, according to
> hallmark.com. Hug a priest, rabbi, or imam today.
>
> A. Science
>
> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?
>
> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Copernicus

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Johnson; Pepys

> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham

> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carrol

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.
>
> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Ogden, Utah; Orem, Utah

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

St Lawrence seaway;

> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Fred Rogers

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?
>
> F. Canadiana
>
> F1. Name the Canadian evangelical talk show hosted by David
> Mainse that became the flagship program of the
> Christian-themed Crossroads Television System.
>
> F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
> Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
> Name him.

Diefenbaker

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 2, 2014, 1:13:46 AM11/2/14
In article <nYWdnXoBXs9oB8nJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its
> 100th anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.
>
> 1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
> Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the
> leg and was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded
> in Spain and China. Who he?
>
> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?
blood transfusion

> 3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
> the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's
> granddaughter at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?
>
> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.
Amelia Earhart
Gregor Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.
Copernicus

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?
>
> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

billy Graham

> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.
Lewis Carroll

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.
Pope John Paul II

> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?
Orem; Provo

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?
Mississippi River

> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.
Mr. Rogers

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?
Amy Winehouse

Dan Tilque

Nov 2, 2014, 3:57:10 AM11/2/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its
> 100th anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.
>
> 1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
> Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the
> leg and was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded
> in Spain and China. Who he?

Is this the doctor who's a major hero in China because Mao said good
things about him? Dammit, I read up on him a few weeks ago but am now
totally blanking on his name.

> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?

blood transfusions

> 3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
> the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's
> granddaughter at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?

Brown

> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhart

> 5. The most famous of their kind during WW1, who or what were
> the Dumbbells?
>
> 6. One prominent Toronto family was hard hit by WW1, with George
> Ryerson killed and his brother Arthur wounded in the battle of
> Ypres. Their mother Mary died in the sinking of the Lusitania,
> en route to viewing her son's body. Name their famous forebear,
> the father of public education in Ontario. First name required.
>
> 7. A dubious Toronto landmark during the Great War was the Stanley
> Barracks, adjacent to the CNE grounds. What was it used for?

POW camp

> 8. With its working-class immigrant population, Toronto's
> then-suburb of Earlscourt was deemed to have lost more young
> men per capita than any municipality in Canada. Name *any one*
> of the major streets that meet in or define the borders of the
> former Earlscourt.
>
> 9. Max Aitken, a Canadian millionaire living in London, was given
> the title of "official eyewitness" to the War -- i.e. its
> official photographer and painter -- by the government of Canada.
> By what noble name is Max Aitken better known?
>
> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?
>

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month
>
> Yes, October is Clergy Appreciation Month, according to
> hallmark.com. Hug a priest, rabbi, or imam today.
>
> A. Science
>
> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Copernicus

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Thomas Becket

> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham

> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carroll

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.

Pope John Paul II

> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Provo UT

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Mississippi River

> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Mister Rogers

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

Michael Jackson

> F. Canadiana
>
> F1. Name the Canadian evangelical talk show hosted by David
> Mainse that became the flagship program of the
> Christian-themed Crossroads Television System.

700 Club ?

--
Dan Tilque

Jeffrey Turner

Nov 2, 2014, 10:03:04 PM11/2/14
On 11/1/2014 4:33 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its
> 100th anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.
>
> 1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
> Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the
> leg and was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded
> in Spain and China. Who he?
>
> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?
>
> 3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
> the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's
> granddaughter at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?
>
> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhart

> 5. The most famous of their kind during WW1, who or what were
> the Dumbbells?

Messenger pigeons
Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Galileo

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?
>
> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Robertson

> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carroll

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.

John Paul II

> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Salt Lake City

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Ohio River

> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Fred Rogers

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

Janis Joplin

> F. Canadiana
>
> F1. Name the Canadian evangelical talk show hosted by David
> Mainse that became the flagship program of the
> Christian-themed Crossroads Television System.
>
> F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
> Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
> Name him.

--Jeff

Bruce Bowler

Nov 3, 2014, 7:45:50 AM11/3/14
On Sat, 01 Nov 2014 03:33:57 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-10-06, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2014-09-15
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its 100th
> anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.
>
> 1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
> Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the leg and
> was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded in Spain and
> China. Who he?
>
> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British military
> hospitals during the War. What procedure?

Triage, sterilization of equipment

> 3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
> the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's granddaughter
> at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?
>
> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she saw her
> first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhart

> 5. The most famous of their kind during WW1, who or what were
> the Dumbbells?

Land mines
Mendel

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508 he
> received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric theories
> would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and Martin Luther.
> Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Galileo

> B. History
>
> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did. But
> who was that priest?
>
> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed the
> candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's Catholicism.
> He famously counseled Richard Nixon during Watergate. Name that
> politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham

> C. Literature
>
> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what are now
> classic works of children's literature. Give that pen name.

Lewis Carroll

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother", before
> changing his career path. Name that playwright who had a much
> more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.
>
> D. Geography
>
> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Salt Lake City, Utah

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Mississippi

> E. Entertainment
>
> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Fred Rogers

Rob Parker

Nov 3, 2014, 5:16:48 PM11/3/14
> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection
>
> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhardt (?)

> 7. A dubious Toronto landmark during the Great War was the Stanley
> Barracks, adjacent to the CNE grounds. What was it used for?

processing conscripts; housing POWs

> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?

The Unknown Soldier

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month
>
> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Mendeleev

> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Thomas a'Beckett

> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham (?)

> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carroll

> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Salt Lake City

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Missouri; Mississippi

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

Michael Jackson

Rob

Mark Brader

Nov 4, 2014, 9:18:38 AM11/4/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-10-06,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 4 is over and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Congratulations!

> * Game 4, Round 9 - Canadiana History - Toronto's WW1 Connection

> Hogtown had its part to play in the War to End All Wars. On its
> 100th anniversary, here's a round on Toronto's role.

> 1. This U of T medical school graduate was with the #2 Field
> Ambulance Corps at Ypres in 1915 when he took shrapnel to the
> leg and was sent home. He later would famously tend the wounded
> in Spain and China. Who he?

Dr. Norman Bethune. Yes, Dan Tilque, that guy, but 0 points.

> 2. Another U of T medical grad, Maj. L.B. Robertson, likely saved
> thousands of lives by introducing this procedure to British
> military hospitals during the War. What procedure?

Blood transfusions. 4 for Joshua, Marc, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> 3. On October 17, 1917 -- four months after his last foray against
> the Germans -- which war hero married Timothy Eaton's
> granddaughter at Timothy Eaton Memorial Church?

Billy Bishop.

> 4. This soon-to-be-famous young American came to Toronto in 1917
> to work as a volunteer nurse. Her life was changed when she
> saw her first air show. Name her.

Amelia Earhart. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Pete, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Jeff, Bruce, and Rob.

> 5. The most famous of their kind during WW1, who or what were
> the Dumbbells?

A Canadian musical-comedy troupe who performed for servicemen
across France.

> 6. One prominent Toronto family was hard hit by WW1, with George
> Ryerson killed and his brother Arthur wounded in the battle of
> Ypres. Their mother Mary died in the sinking of the Lusitania,
> en route to viewing her son's body. Name their famous forebear,
> the father of public education in Ontario. First name required.

Egerton Ryerson.

> 7. A dubious Toronto landmark during the Great War was the Stanley
> Barracks, adjacent to the CNE grounds. What was it used for?

Internment of "enemy aliens", i.e. residents of Canada who were born
in enemy territories (including Germans, Austrians, Hungarians,
Czechs, Slovaks, and Ukrainians). I did not accept references to
prisoners or POWs as close enough. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. With its working-class immigrant population, Toronto's
> then-suburb of Earlscourt was deemed to have lost more young
> men per capita than any municipality in Canada. Name *any one*
> of the major streets that meet in or define the borders of the
> former Earlscourt.

It's from St. Clair Av. and Dufferin St. west to Old Weston Rd., north
to Rogers Rd. and south to Davenport Rd.; accepting any of those.

> 9. Max Aitken, a Canadian millionaire living in London, was given
> the title of "official eyewitness" to the War -- i.e. its
> official photographer and painter -- by the government of Canada.
> By what noble name is Max Aitken better known?

Lord Beaverbrook. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 10. In 2007, genealogical records verified the identity of George
> Sorblum, a WW1 veteran buried in 1919 at Holy Blossom Cemetery on
> Pape Av. But how is he identified on his headstone, a reference
> to his then-uncertain identity?

An Unknown Soldier. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Rob.
3 for Pete.

http://www.canadianheadstones.com/on/_image.php?ef=L2hvbWUvZ2VuZGV4bmUvcHVibGljX2h0bWwvb24vcGhvdG9zL2NvdW50eTA1My9jMDUzX3NvcmJsdW1fZ19pZDUxOTc3LmpwZw%3D%3D&n=1

> * Game 4, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Clergy Appreciation Month

> Yes, October is Clergy Appreciation Month, according to
> hallmark.com. Hug a priest, rabbi, or imam today.

> A. Science

> A1. When he passed away in 1884, he was eulogized as "a puttering
> monk with a skill for breeding plants". But this Augustinian
> friar is now known as the father of modern genetics.
> Who was he?

Gregor Mendel. 4 for Björn, Peter, Erland, Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason,
Marc, Dan Tilque, Jeff, and Bruce.

Mendeleyev was a different guy -- he created the periodic table.

> A2. In 1503 he was granted a sinecure at the Collegiate Church
> of the Holy Cross in Wroclaw, Silesia, Bohemia; in 1508
> he received a papal indult. But later his heliocentric
> theories would be condemned by both the Catholic Church and
> Martin Luther. Name that canonical scholar and astronomer.

Nicolaus Copernicus. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Marc,
and Dan Tilque.

Galileo lived in Italy, remember?

> B. History

> B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> But who was that priest?

Thomas Becket. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Rob.

> B2. This Southern Baptist minister, now 95 years old, was
> considered the Pastor to the Presidents, although he opposed
> the candidacy of John F. Kennedy because of Kennedy's
> Catholicism. He famously counseled Richard Nixon during
> Watergate. Name that politically connected preacher.

Billy Graham. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Pete, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, and Rob.

> C. Literature

> C1. The Anglican deacon Charles Lutwidge Dodgson (1832-98)
> is bast known by the pseudonym he used while writing what
> are now classic works of children's literature. Give that
> pen name.

Lewis Carroll. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Marc, Dan Tilque,
Jeff, Bruce, and Rob.

> C2. From 1939 to 1949, this twentysomething Polish playwright
> wrote the plays "Job", "David", and "Our God's Brother",
> before changing his career path. Name that playwright who
> had a much more storied career as the Vicar of Christ.

Karol Wojtyla a.k.a. Pope John Paul II. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Jeff.

> D. Geography

> D1. Brigham Young University, named for the man the Mormons call
> "the American Moses", is in what city?

Provo UT. 4 for Joshua and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum and Marc.

> D2. In the 1600s, Jesuit Father Jacques Marquette joined Louis
> Joliet, to become the first non-natives to map one of North
> America's primary waterways. Which one?

Mississippi R. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Marc, Dan Tilque, and Bruce.
3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Rob.

The most interesting wrong answer was "St. Lawrence Seaway", a term
that specifically refers to the St. Lawrence River as modified in
the 1950s by dams and canals to make it navigable by big ships.
But, hey, what's 300 years and about 1,000 miles between friends? :-)

> E. Entertainment

> E1. Which Presbyterian minister was an American educator who
> created a PBS children's series that ran for 33 years?
> Can you answer this question? I know you could.

Mr. Fred Rogers. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Pete, Marc,
Dan Tilque, Jeff, and Bruce.

> E2. Rabbi Shmuley Boteach is the author of more than 30 books,
> including "Kosher Sex". But he's most famous as the
> spiritual advisor to a tragic musical celebrity. Which one?

Michael Jackson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Rob.

> F. Canadiana

> F1. Name the Canadian evangelical talk show hosted by David
> Mainse that became the flagship program of the
> Christian-themed Crossroads Television System.

"100 Huntley Street".

CTS is now called "Yes TV".

> F2. In 2004 this late Baptist minister was named the greatest
> Canadian of all time in a national viewer survey by CBC.
> Name him.

T.C. "Tommy" Douglas. (Also premier of Saskatchewan and then leader
of the federal NDP.) 4 for Joshua.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Lit Ent Sci His Can Can Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 36 28 20 12 16 44 200
Dan Blum 32 31 28 24 35 0 16 37 187
Marc Dashevsky 28 28 28 40 16 16 8 30 170
Dan Tilque 36 12 -- -- 24 0 8 40 120
Peter Smyth 28 16 16 28 -- -- 4 24 116
Rob Parker 32 0 16 36 -- -- 8 18 110
Bruce Bowler 16 24 4 36 -- -- 4 20 104
Erland Sommarskog 28 0 8 31 20 0 0 8 95
Jeff Turner 16 24 -- -- 20 8 4 16 88
Jason Kreitzer 8 12 28 4 0 0 4 12 68
Pete Gayde -- -- -- -- 8 24 9 16 57
Björn Lundin 20 8 4 4 8 0 0 4 48

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
The time-sharing system was designed very much for the convenience

Mark Brader

Nov 7, 2014, 12:48:09 PM11/7/14
Mark Brader:
> > B1. Henry II is often quoted as saying, circa 1170, "Will no one
> > rid me of this turbulent priest?" Sure enough, someone did.
> > But who was that priest?
>
> Thomas Becket. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Rob.

In case anyone missed it, essentially the same question came up on
"Jeopardy!" the day after I posted this. It was a Daily Double in
the $1,200 row, in the category of "Historial Quotations". The player
bet $2,000, but had no idea of the answer: he guessed Friar Tuck.
--
Mark Brader | The lawgiver, of all beings, most owes the law allegiance.
Toronto | He of all men should behave as though the law compelled him.