Calvin's Quiz #459

Calvin

Sep 30, 2016, 12:02:19 AM9/30/16
1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?
2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?
3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of modern economics?
4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?
6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?
7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?
8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?
9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?
10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 30, 2016, 12:37:18 AM9/30/16
"Calvin":
> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

5.

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Indonesia.

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the
> father of modern economics?

Smith.

> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the
> screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?

No idea. Deighton?

> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

Nuclear Magnetic Resonance. Only that was too scary, so they decided
to call it Magnetic Resonance Imaging instead.

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores
> competed in which defunct sports league?

World Football League?

> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for
> Marlon Brando?

"On the Waterfront".

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes, which used to take about 35 minutes until they started
having commercial breaks, and is now more like 45 minutes.

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?

Acupuncture.

> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

"Calvin & Hobbes".
--
Mark Brader "You have a truly warped mind.
Toronto I admire that in a person."

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 30, 2016, 3:28:03 AM9/30/16

5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Indonesia

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father
> of modern economics?

John Stuart Mill

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores
> competed in which defunct sports league?

European Rugby League

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 30, 2016, 3:30:10 AM9/30/16
In article <69c43904-613e-4122...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?
5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?
Indonesia

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of modern economics?
Adam Smith

> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?
Magnetic Resonance Imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?
> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?
On The Waterfront

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?
20 min

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?
> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?
Calvin & Hobbes

> cheers,
> calvin

Dan Tilque

Sep 30, 2016, 5:20:54 AM9/30/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Indonesia

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of modern economics?

Adam Smith

> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

magnetic resonance imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?

NFL Europe

> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?

On the Waterfront

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?

acupuncture

> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

Calvin and Hobbes

--
Dan Tilque

Björn Lundin

Sep 30, 2016, 10:00:01 AM9/30/16
On 2016-09-30 06:02, Calvin wrote:
> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?
5
> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?
Kenya ?
> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of modern economics?
Milles
> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?
> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?
> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?
> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?
20 minutes
> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?
> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?
Calvin and Hobbes

> cheers,
> calvin

Björn

Peter Smyth

Sep 30, 2016, 10:36:17 AM9/30/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?
Five
> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?
Kenya
> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of
> modern economics?
Adam Smith
> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the
> screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
Roald Dahl
> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?
Magnetic Resonanance Imaging
> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores
> competed in which defunct sports league?
NFL Europe
> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon
> Brando?
On the Waterfront
> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?
15 minutes
> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?
Acupuncture
> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?
Calvin and Hobbes

Peter Smyth

bbowler

Sep 30, 2016, 11:31:10 AM9/30/16
On Thu, 29 Sep 2016 21:02:18 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?
> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of
> modern economics?
> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the
> screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores
> competed in which defunct sports league?

World Football League

> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon
> Brando?

On The Water Front

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

1/3 of an hour

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?

acupuncture

> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

Calvin and Hobbes

Chris F.A. Johnson

Sep 30, 2016, 2:08:02 PM9/30/16
On 2016-09-30, Calvin wrote:
> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Indonesia

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of modern economics?

Adam Smith

> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?

Roald Dahl

> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

Magnetic resonance imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?
> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?

On the Waterfront

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?
> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

Calvin & Hobbes

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Gareth Owen

Sep 30, 2016, 4:54:42 PM9/30/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

Leger lines? 5 (Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge)

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Kenya

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of
> modern economics?

Adam Smith

> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the
> screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?

Le Carré??

> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores
> competed in which defunct sports league?

NFL Europe

> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon
> Brando?

On The Waterfront

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?

Chinese?

> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

You and hobbes

Gareth Owen

Sep 30, 2016, 5:01:26 PM9/30/16
Gareth Owen <gwo...@gmail.com> writes:

>> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the
>> screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?
>
> Le Carré??

Bollocks, just remembered the real answer to this.
And it was his day recently too...

And he's Welsh...

Mark Brader

Sep 30, 2016, 7:26:17 PM9/30/16
"Calvin":
> > 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

Gareth Owen:
> Leger lines? 5 (Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge)

Actually ledger lines are the extra, short ones they use when the
5 lines of the staff *aren't* enough to represent the specific note,
e.g. middle C in your example.
--
Mark Brader | ...I am constantly surprised by the questions which apparently
Toronto | have not been litigated, at least to the point of producing

Gareth Owen

Oct 1, 2016, 1:29:51 AM10/1/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> "Calvin":
>> > 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?
>
> Gareth Owen:
>> Leger lines? 5 (Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge)
>
> Actually ledger lines are the extra, short ones they use when the
> 5 lines of the staff *aren't* enough to represent the specific note,
> e.g. middle C in your example.

Well, whaddya know. I was lied to by my Year 9 music teacher. I've
been calling them that forever...

But you'll never get me to add that horrible 'd' to leger.

Pete

Oct 3, 2016, 10:41:23 AM10/3/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Indonesia

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father
> of modern economics?
> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British
> author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only
> Live Twice"?
> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish
> Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?

European Football League

> film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?

On The Waterfront

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?
> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

Calvin and Hobbes

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Oct 7, 2016, 1:22:40 AM10/7/16
On Friday, September 30, 2016 at 2:02:19 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In musical notation, how many lines are in a stave?

5

> 2 In which country did Barack Obama live from the age of 6 to 10?

Indonesia

> 3 Which 18th century Scottish philosopher is considered the father of modern economics?

Adam Smith

> 4 Based on Ian Fleming's novel, which British author wrote the screenplay for the 1967 James Bond film "You Only Live Twice"?

Roald Dahl

> 5 In medicine, for what does the abbreviation "MRI" stand for?

Magnetic Resonance Imaging

> 6 The Frankfurt Galaxy, Barcelona Dragons and Scottish Claymores competed in which defunct sports league?

NFL Europe

> 7 Which 1954 film won eight Oscars, including Best Actor for Marlon Brando?

On The Waterfront

> 8 How long is one period of play in a standard ice hockey match?

20 minutes

> 9 Which form of traditional medicine draws on "meridian theory"?

Acupuncture or Acupressure

> 10 Which comic strip duo were created by Bill Watterson?

Calvin and Hobbes
no relation

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 459
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 63 Dan Tilque
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 50 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 8 58 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 8 60 Mark Brader
1 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 53 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 7 56 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 6 48 Bruce Bowler
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 6 50 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 3 25 Erland S
1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 1 3 28 Bjorn Lundin
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 6 6 2 8 3 8 9 4 9 65 65%

Congratulations Dan.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Oct 7, 2016, 4:29:05 AM10/7/16
Calvin wrote:

> Congratulations Dan.

Wow! Haven't won one of yours in a long time.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Oct 10, 2016, 12:32:27 AM10/10/16
On Friday, October 7, 2016 at 6:29:05 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Calvin wrote:
>

> > Congratulations Dan.
>
> Wow! Haven't won one of yours in a long time.

Since 427 to be precise.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 10, 2016, 1:29:58 AM10/10/16
Dan Tilque:
> > Wow! Haven't won one of yours in a long time.

"Calvin":
> Since 427 to be precise.

That's either a lot of centuries or a lot of miles, then!

(Uvtujnl 427 vf n znwbe ebnq va Gbebagb.)
--
Mark Brader "Hey, I don't want to control people's lives!
Toronto (If they did things right, I wouldn't have to.)"