QFTCIBP Current Events 9-10

Mark Brader

Mar 27, 2018, 12:45:34 AM3/27/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
What about his action triggered the league suspension?

2. The North American bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup includes
23 candidate host cities. After Vancouver withdrew its
submission at the last-minute over concerns about FIFA's demands,
three Canadian cities remain on that host-city-candidate list.
Name *two* of the three.

3. Although plagued by bugs in the app, a new ride-sharing service
was set to launch in Toronto on Friday, catering to women only.
What is the name of this service?

4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
this potential problem?

5. On Tuesday, US President Trump took to Twitter once again, this
time to publicly and unceremoniously fire Rex Tillerson as
the US Secretary of State. Trump nominated CIA Director Mike
Pompeo to replace Tillerson. According to the tweet, who is
replacing Pompeo as director of the CIA, the first female to
hold this position?

6. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked a Métis lawyer to sit
in the Senate and represent Ontario -- the first Indigenous
person appointed to the Red Chamber from that province.
Name Parliament's newest independent Senator.

7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
died this week?

8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?

9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
of people?

10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
was found in 93% of the tested bottles?

After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "cynfgvp" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
fcrpvsvp.

* Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
fertilization.

2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?

3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
to the two founders' names.

5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
where the harbor is located.

6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
What is this often referred to as?

7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.

8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.

9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.

10. The World War II veteran who founded Toys'R'Us six decades ago
and transformed it into an iconic piece of Americana died
Thursday at age 94. Name him.

After completing this round, please decode this rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "euvabprebf" ("euvab" vf npprcgnoyr) ba gur svefg dhrfgvba,
cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "The brain is amazing when it's amazing, with
m...@vex.net | apologies to Robert Biddle." --Steve Summit

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 27, 2018, 10:34:23 AM3/27/18
In article <dPqdnfLX64X1USTH...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
> a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
> the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
> What about his action triggered the league suspension?
he had a gun
Hawking

> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?
>
> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?
native Americans

> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?
microplastics

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "cynfgvp" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.
white rhino

> 2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
> pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
> career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?
>
> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?
Sarkozy

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.
Blackstone

> 5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
> in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
> excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
> where the harbor is located.
>
> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?
great Pacific garbage patch

> 7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
> skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
> Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
> Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.
>
> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.
>
> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.
Bolton

> 10. The World War II veteran who founded Toys'R'Us six decades ago
> and transformed it into an iconic piece of Americana died
> Thursday at age 94. Name him.
>
> After completing this round, please decode this rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "euvabprebf" ("euvab" vf npprcgnoyr) ba gur svefg dhrfgvba,
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

Peter Smyth

Mar 27, 2018, 11:19:31 AM3/27/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on that date.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of
> current-events questions is independent of the concurrent posting of
> other rounds. For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion
> posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
> a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
> the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
> What about his action triggered the league suspension?
He was carrying a gun
> 2. The North American bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup includes
> 23 candidate host cities. After Vancouver withdrew its
> submission at the last-minute over concerns about FIFA's demands,
> three Canadian cities remain on that host-city-candidate list.
> Name two of the three.
Toronto, Montreal
> 3. Although plagued by bugs in the app, a new ride-sharing service
> was set to launch in Toronto on Friday, catering to women only.
> What is the name of this service?
Uher
> 4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
> in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
> officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
> by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
> this potential problem?
>
> 5. On Tuesday, US President Trump took to Twitter once again, this
> time to publicly and unceremoniously fire Rex Tillerson as
> the US Secretary of State. Trump nominated CIA Director Mike
> Pompeo to replace Tillerson. According to the tweet, who is
> replacing Pompeo as director of the CIA, the first female to
> hold this position?
>
> 6. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked a Métis lawyer to sit
> in the Senate and represent Ontario -- the first Indigenous
> person appointed to the Red Chamber from that province.
> Name Parliament's newest independent Senator.
>
> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?
Stephen Hawking
> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?
Givenchy
> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?
Inuit
> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?
Urine
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: If you just
> said "plastic" for the last question, please go back and be more
> specific.
>

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.
White Rhino
> 2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
> pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
> career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?
>
> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?
Sarkozy, Hollande
> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.
>
> 5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
> in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
> excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
> where the harbor is located.
>
> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?
>
> 7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
> skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
> Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
> Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.
>
> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.
Fields Medal
> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.
Bolton
> 10. The World War II veteran who founded Toys'R'Us six decades ago
> and transformed it into an iconic piece of Americana died
> Thursday at age 94. Name him.
Lazarus
> After completing this round, please decode this rot13: If you just
> said "rhinoceros" ("rhino" is acceptable) on the first question,
> please go back and be more specific.

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Mar 27, 2018, 12:39:31 PM3/27/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
> a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
> the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
> What about his action triggered the league suspension?

he was carrying a weapon

> 4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
> in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
> officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
> by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
> this potential problem?

it was an elm which would die of Dutch elm disease

> 5. On Tuesday, US President Trump took to Twitter once again, this
> time to publicly and unceremoniously fire Rex Tillerson as
> the US Secretary of State. Trump nominated CIA Director Mike
> Pompeo to replace Tillerson. According to the tweet, who is
> replacing Pompeo as director of the CIA, the first female to
> hold this position?

Haspel

> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?

Stephen Hawking

> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?

First Nations

> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?

bacteria; arsenic

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.

white rhino

> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

Sarkozy

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.

Blackrock

> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.

Field Medal

> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.

John Bolton

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Mar 27, 2018, 2:16:01 PM3/27/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
> a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
> the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
> What about his action triggered the league suspension?
>
> 2. The North American bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup includes
> 23 candidate host cities. After Vancouver withdrew its
> submission at the last-minute over concerns about FIFA's demands,
> three Canadian cities remain on that host-city-candidate list.
> Name *two* of the three.

Toronto, Hamilton

> 3. Although plagued by bugs in the app, a new ride-sharing service
> was set to launch in Toronto on Friday, catering to women only.
> What is the name of this service?
>
> 4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
> in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
> officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
> by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
> this potential problem?
>
> 5. On Tuesday, US President Trump took to Twitter once again, this
> time to publicly and unceremoniously fire Rex Tillerson as
> the US Secretary of State. Trump nominated CIA Director Mike
> Pompeo to replace Tillerson. According to the tweet, who is
> replacing Pompeo as director of the CIA, the first female to
> hold this position?
>
> 6. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked a Métis lawyer to sit
> in the Senate and represent Ontario -- the first Indigenous
> person appointed to the Red Chamber from that province.
> Name Parliament's newest independent Senator.
>
> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?

Hawking

> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?
>
> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?
>
> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "cynfgvp" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.

northern white rhino

> 2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
> pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
> career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?
>
> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

Sarkozy

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.
>
> 5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
> in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
> excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
> where the harbor is located.
>
> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?

Great Pacific garbage patch

> 7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
> skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
> Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
> Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.
>
> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.
>
> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.
>
> 10. The World War II veteran who founded Toys'R'Us six decades ago
> and transformed it into an iconic piece of Americana died
> Thursday at age 94. Name him.
>
> After completing this round, please decode this rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "euvabprebf" ("euvab" vf npprcgnoyr) ba gur svefg dhrfgvba,
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 27, 2018, 2:23:52 PM3/27/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
> a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
> the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
> What about his action triggered the league suspension?

He was (or seemed to be) carrying a gun.

Think I saw a notice just the other day that they are about to restart
the league.

> 2. The North American bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup includes
> 23 candidate host cities. After Vancouver withdrew its
> submission at the last-minute over concerns about FIFA's demands,
> three Canadian cities remain on that host-city-candidate list.
> Name *two* of the three.

Toronto and Montréal

> 4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
> in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
> officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
> by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
> this potential problem?

She thought she had planted a maple but it proved to be an oak when it
grew up.

> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?

Stephen Hawking

> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?

Inuit

> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?

Chlorine

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.

Some type of rhinoscerous

> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

Nicolas Sarkozy

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.

Blackrock

> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?

Plastic pool

> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.

John Bolton

> After completing this round, please decode this rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "euvabprebf" ("euvab" vf npprcgnoyr) ba gur svefg dhrfgvba,
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

Hey isn't "some type of" indication of that I knew from the start that
only "rhinoscerous" is not enough. The fact that I don't recall the
exact name is another story.

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 27, 2018, 8:02:42 PM3/27/18
Steven Hawking
> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?
Cassini?
> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?
>
> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?
>
> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "cynfgvp" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.
White rhino
> 2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
> pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
> career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?
>
> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?
>
> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.
Blackstone?
> 5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
> in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
> excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
> where the harbor is located.
>
> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?
>
> 7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
> skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
> Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
> Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.
>
> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.
>
> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.
Bolton

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 27, 2018, 10:56:18 PM3/27/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:dPqdnfLX64X1USTHnZ2dnUU7-
RHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. The North American bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup includes
> 23 candidate host cities. After Vancouver withdrew its
> submission at the last-minute over concerns about FIFA's demands,
> three Canadian cities remain on that host-city-candidate list.
> Name *two* of the three.

Toronto and Montreal

> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?

Hawking

> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?

Givenchy

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

Sarkozy

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.

Blackstone; Black Rock

> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.

Abel Prize

> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.

Bolton

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Mar 28, 2018, 12:05:54 PM3/28/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:dPqdnfLX64X1USTHnZ2dnUU7-
RHN...@giganews.com:

Toronto, Montreal

> 3. Although plagued by bugs in the app, a new ride-sharing service
> was set to launch in Toronto on Friday, catering to women only.
> What is the name of this service?
>
> 4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
> in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
> officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
> by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
> this potential problem?

The new tree would have eventually crowded out the old tree

> 5. On Tuesday, US President Trump took to Twitter once again, this
> time to publicly and unceremoniously fire Rex Tillerson as
> the US Secretary of State. Trump nominated CIA Director Mike
> Pompeo to replace Tillerson. According to the tweet, who is
> replacing Pompeo as director of the CIA, the first female to
> hold this position?

Haspel

> 6. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked a Métis lawyer to sit
> in the Senate and represent Ontario -- the first Indigenous
> person appointed to the Red Chamber from that province.
> Name Parliament's newest independent Senator.
>
> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?

Hawking

> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?

Givenchy

> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?

Transgender

> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?

Lead

> After completing this round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "cynfgvp" sbe gur ynfg dhrfgvba, cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber
> fcrpvsvp.
>

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.

White rhino

> 2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
> pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
> career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?
>
> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

Sarkozy

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.

Blackrock

> 5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
> in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
> excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
> where the harbor is located.
>
> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?

Gyre

> 7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
> skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
> Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
> Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.
>
> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.
>
> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.

Bolton

> 10. The World War II veteran who founded Toys'R'Us six decades ago
> and transformed it into an iconic piece of Americana died
> Thursday at age 94. Name him.
>
> After completing this round, please decode this rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "euvabprebf" ("euvab" vf npprcgnoyr) ba gur svefg dhrfgvba,
> cyrnfr tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 30, 2018, 3:26:56 AM3/30/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the
> dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still
> expected to give the answers that were correct on that date...
> For further information see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on
> "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 9 (2018-03-19), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Greece indefinitely suspended its soccer league on Monday,
> a day after the owner of PAOK Thessaloniki marched onto
> the field following a disputed goal at the end of a match.
> What about his action triggered the league suspension?

He was carrying a gun. 4 for Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 2. The North American bid for the 2026 FIFA World Cup includes
> 23 candidate host cities. After Vancouver withdrew its
> submission at the last-minute over concerns about FIFA's demands,
> three Canadian cities remain on that host-city-candidate list.
> Name *two* of the three.

Edmonton, Montreal, Toronto. 4 for Peter, Erland, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. Although plagued by bugs in the app, a new ride-sharing service
> was set to launch in Toronto on Friday, catering to women only.
> What is the name of this service?

DriveHer. No points for "Uher", but nice idea.

> 4. The Belgian king and queen kicked off a week-long state visit
> in Ottawa this week. For a planned tree-planting ceremony,
> officials narrowly avoided a hitch relating to the tree planted
> by Her Majesty Queen Fabiola in 1977. What was the cause of
> this potential problem?

They decorated it with Canadian and *German* flags. (Hey, the
Belgian flag is the black, yellow, and red one, isn't it?)

> 5. On Tuesday, US President Trump took to Twitter once again, this
> time to publicly and unceremoniously fire Rex Tillerson as
> the US Secretary of State. Trump nominated CIA Director Mike
> Pompeo to replace Tillerson. According to the tweet, who is
> replacing Pompeo as director of the CIA, the first female to
> hold this position?

Gina Haspel. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 6. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has picked a Métis lawyer to sit
> in the Senate and represent Ontario -- the first Indigenous
> person appointed to the Red Chamber from that province.
> Name Parliament's newest independent Senator.

Yvonne Boyer.

> 7. What theoretical physicist, perhaps the best-known of his time,
> died this week?

Stephen Hawking. 4 for everyone -- Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Erland, Jason, Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. Which French couturier, a pioneer of ready-to-wear fashion,
> who designed Audrey Hepburn's little black dress for "Breakfast
> at Tiffany's", died this week at age 91?

Hubert de Givenchy. 4 for Peter, Joshua, and Pete.

> 9. The Canadian national DNA databank program launched an expansion
> this week to include the collection of DNA relating to which
> of people?

Missing ones. Any reference to crime victims or similar was
acceptable.

> 10. A global study released this week evaluated 11 brands of
> bottled water bought in 9 countries. What type of contaminant
> was found in 93% of the tested bottles?

Microplastics -- specifically polypropylene, polystyrene, nylon,
and polyethylene terephthalate (PET). Something more specific than
"plastic" was required. 4 for Marc.

> * Game 10 (2018-03-26), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Which animal, the world's last male of its kind, was put down
> on Monday? Two females are still alive, and scientists
> hope to save the subspecies from extinction through in-vitro
> fertilization.

The northern white rhinoceros. "White" was required. 4 for Marc,
Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

> 2. The Toronto Blue Jays announced their opening day starting
> pitcher on Tuesday. It will be the first time in his 10-year
> career that he will start on opening day. Who is he?

J.A. Happ.

> 3. Which former French president was placed in custody on Tuesday
> as part of an investigation into allegations that he received
> millions of euros in illegal campaign financing from the regime
> of the late Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi?

Nicolas Sarkozy. 4 for Marc, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Erland, Joshua,
and Pete. 3 for Peter.

> 4. Billionaire Wall Street financier Peter Peterson died on Tuesday
> of natural causes. He was 91. What was the name of the private
> equity firm that he co-founded? It combines the meanings of
> the German word "schwarz" and the Greek word "petros", relating
> to the two founders' names.

Blackstone Group LP. 4 for Marc and Jason. 3 for Joshua.

> 5. A pod of dolphins was trapped by sea ice in a shallow harbor
> in Trinity Bay. They were eventually freed with the help of
> excavators that were used to dig out the ice. Name the town
> where the harbor is located.

Heart's Delight - Islington. ("Heart's Delight" was sufficient.)

> 6. A new study involving scientists from around the world suggests
> that there are more than 79,000 tonnes of ocean plastic in a
> 1,600,000 km² (600,000 sq.mi.) area of the North Pacific Ocean.
> What is this often referred to as?

Great Pacific Garbage Patch. 4 for Marc and Dan Tilque.

> 7. A Canadian woman won gold in women's singles at the world figure
> skating championships in Milan on Friday. The 22-year-old from
> Marystown, Newfoundland, scored 150.50 points for her "Black
> Swan" routine, to finish with 223.23 points overall. Name her.

Kaetlyn Osmond.

> 8. Canadian mathematician Robert Langlands has been awarded a
> prize for developing a "grand unified theory of mathematics".
> The prize, sometimes referred to as the Nobel prize of math,
> was created by the government of Norway in 2003 and comes with
> a cash award of more than $1,000,000. Name the prize.

The Abel Prize. 4 for Joshua.

Yeah, I too have heard the Field Medal referred to as the Nobel
prize of math more often than the Abel Prize. But hey, if Nobel
wanted there to be a Nobel prize for math, there would be one.

> 9. US President Donald Trump said on Thursday that he would replace
> national security adviser H.R. McMaster with a former UN
> Ambassador and current Fox News commentator. Name him.

John Bolton. 4 for Marc, Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Jason, Joshua,
and Pete.

> 10. The World War II veteran who founded Toys'R'Us six decades ago
> and transformed it into an iconic piece of Americana died
> Thursday at age 94. Name him.

Charles P. Lazarus. 4 for Peter.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST EIGHT
Pete Gayde 12 12 22 24 4 12 12 10 16 12 122
Dan Blum 20 8 15 20 6 4 12 12 12 12 111
Joshua Kreitzer 18 12 8 19 7 4 12 12 12 15 108
Marc Dashevsky 12 4 8 16 -- -- 12 8 12 20 92
Dan Tilque 8 12 8 16 8 4 16 8 4 12 88
Peter Smyth 8 12 12 4 -- -- 8 8 16 15 83
Erland Sommarskog 12 7 4 8 4 8 12 4 12 8 71
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 12 16 8 -- -- -- -- 48
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- -- -- 4 4 4 12 24

--
Mark Brader "He'll spend at least part of his life
Toronto in prison, or parliament, or both."