Calvin's Quiz #546

Calvin

Nov 27, 2018, 11:56:13 PM11/27/18

1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?
2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?
3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?
4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?
5 Which animated British TV series is set in Soggy Bottom Farm?
6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967 film 'The Graduate'?
7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio?
8 According to the floor tilers' maxim, no room is ever… what?
9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the system of naming species with a two-word Latin name?
10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry originated in which Asian country?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Nov 28, 2018, 12:24:52 AM11/28/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?

they are self-pollinating

> 3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican

> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?

their there they're

> 6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967 film 'The Graduate'?

Mrs. Robinson

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the system of naming species with a two-word Latin name?

Linnaeus

> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry originated in which Asian country?

Thailand

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 28, 2018, 3:22:47 AM11/28/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?

per Hydrogen?

> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or
> phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?

Everything else is easier to spell

> 3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican

> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used
> English words?

To, too, two

> 7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: When I'm
> drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio?

(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the
> system of naming species with a two-word Latin name?

Carl von Linné

> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry
> originated in which Asian country?

Malaysia

Mark Brader

Nov 28, 2018, 4:38:31 AM11/28/18
"Calvin":
> 1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?

Potential of hydrogen.

> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or
> phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?

They're called spermatophytes and the others aren't? :-)

I'll guess: they reproduce by spores.

> 3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican.

> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly
> used English words?

To, two too.

> 5 Which animated British TV series is set in Soggy Bottom Farm?
> 6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967
> film 'The Graduate'?

Mrs. Robinson.

> 7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: When I'm
> drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio?
> 8 According to the floor tilers' maxim, no room is ever... what?

Exactly rectangular. Or exactly level, either.

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the
> system of naming species with a two-word Latin name?

Linnaeus.

> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry
> originated in which Asian country?

Myanmar?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You are becoming far too reasonable.
m...@vex.net | I worry about you." --Tony Cooper

Dan Tilque

Nov 28, 2018, 6:26:35 AM11/28/18
Calvin wrote:
> 1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?

potenz hydrogen

> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?
> 3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican

> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?

their there they're

> 5 Which animated British TV series is set in Soggy Bottom Farm?
> 6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967 film 'The Graduate'?

Mrs Robinson

> 7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio?
> 8 According to the floor tilers' maxim, no room is ever… what?

perfect

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the system of naming species with a two-word Latin name?

Linnaeus

> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry originated in which Asian country?

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

Nov 28, 2018, 2:00:41 PM11/28/18
On Tue, 27 Nov 2018 20:56:13 -0800, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?

acidity and alkalinity (but that's not what it "stands for")

> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or
phenogamae)
> from other varieties of plant life?

Seed production

> 3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican

> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used
English
> words?

to too two

> 5 Which animated British TV series is set in Soggy Bottom Farm?
> 6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967 film
'The
> Graduate'?

Mrs. Robinson

> 7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: When I'm
drivin'
> in my car, and the man comes on the radio?

Satisfaction (it's "that man", not "the man").

> 8 According to the floor
> tilers' maxim, no room is ever… what?

square

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the
system
> of naming species with a two-word Latin name?

Lineus

> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry
originated
> in which Asian country?

Thailand

Pete Gayde

Nov 28, 2018, 2:46:13 PM11/28/18
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?
> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or
> phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?

They need to be pollenated

> 3 Which style of
> cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican

> 4 Which 3
> homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?
> 5 Which animated British TV series is set in Soggy Bottom Farm?

Peppa Pig

> 6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967 film
> 'The Graduate'?

Mrs. Robinson

> 7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following
> line: When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio?

Satisfaction

> 8 According to the floor tilers' maxim, no room is ever… what?

Square

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the system
> of naming species with a two-word Latin name?
> Made with coconut
> milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry originated in which Asian
> country?

Sri Lanka

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Dec 6, 2018, 7:38:13 PM12/6/18
On Wednesday, November 28, 2018 at 2:56:13 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What two words does the chemistry term pH stand for?

Potential of Hydrogen. Also accepting power or the German potenz.

> 2 What distinguishes spermatophytes (a.k.a. phanerogams or phenogamae) from other varieties of plant life?

Accepting any answer involving seeds or spores.

> 3 Which style of cuisine includes quesadillas and chimichangas?

Mexican or Tex-Mex

> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?

To, too, two

> 5 Which animated British TV series is set in Soggy Bottom Farm?

Shaun the Sheep
No-one got this but Peppa Pig was a good guess. is it even broadcast in North America?
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0983983/

> 6 Which character was portrayed by Anne Bancroft in the 1967 film 'The Graduate'?

Mrs Robinson
She appears not to have a first name

> 7 Which hit song of 1965 includes the following line: When I'm drivin' in my car, and the man comes on the radio?

Satisfaction

> 8 According to the floor tilers' maxim, no room is ever… what?

Square

> 9 Which Swedish scientist formalised binomial nomenclature, the system of naming species with a two-word Latin name?

Carl Linnaeus (aka Linne)

> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry originated in which Asian country?

Thailand

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 546
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 32 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 7 28 Mark Brader
0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 5 20 Erland S
0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 21 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 5 23 Dan Blum
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 4 18 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 4 6 3 0 5 3 3 5 3 34 57%

Congratulations Bruce.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Dec 6, 2018, 7:58:39 PM12/6/18
"Calvin":
> > 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?
>
> To, too, two

Really! When I saw people trying "there, their, they're", I was sure
that was going to be the right answer. I would not have thought that
"two" would be so common (and I also don't think "to" really qualifies
as a homophone of it).
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This man must be very ignorant, for he answers
m...@vex.net | every question he is asked." -- Voltaire

Bruce Bowler

Dec 7, 2018, 9:32:50 AM12/7/18
On Thu, 06 Dec 2018 18:58:34 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> "Calvin":
>> > 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used
>> > English words?
>>
>> To, too, two
>
> Really! When I saw people trying "there, their, they're", I was sure
> that was going to be the right answer. I would not have thought that
> "two" would be so common (and I also don't think "to" really qualifies
> as a homophone of it).

And "they're" is "two" words :-)

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 7, 2018, 11:03:12 AM12/7/18
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 10 Made with coconut milk, potatoes and nuts, Massaman curry
originated in which Asian country?

> Thailand

Since I appear to have been credited with a point on this one, I feel
obliged to point out that Thailand and Malaysia are two different
countries.

Dan Tilque

Dec 9, 2018, 3:33:12 PM12/9/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
>>> 4 Which 3 homophones make the list of the 200 most commonly used English words?
>> To, too, two
>
> Really! When I saw people trying "there, their, they're", I was sure
> that was going to be the right answer. I would not have thought that
> "two" would be so common (and I also don't think "to" really qualifies
> as a homophone of it).

I expected "too" not to be that common.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 9, 2018, 4:52:06 PM12/9/18
"Calvin":
>>> To, too, two

Mark Brader:
>> Really! When I saw people trying "there, their, they're", I was sure
>> that was going to be the right answer. I would not have thought that
>> "two" would be so common (and I also don't think "to" really qualifies
>> as a homophone of it).

Dan Tilque:
> I expected "too" not to be that common.

So, Calvin, which list of the 200 most commonly used English words were
you referring to?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Information! ... We want information!"
m...@vex.net -- The Prisoner

Calvin

Dec 11, 2018, 9:16:43 PM12/11/18
Noted thanks. Revised scores are:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 546
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 31 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 7 28 Mark Brader
0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 21 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 5 22 Dan Blum
0 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 4 17 Erland S
1 0 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 4 18 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 4 6 3 0 5 3 3 5 2 33 55%

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Dec 11, 2018, 9:17:38 PM12/11/18
On Monday, December 10, 2018 at 7:52:06 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
>
> Mark Brader:
> >> Really! When I saw people trying "there, their, they're", I was sure
> >> that was going to be the right answer. I would not have thought that
> >> "two" would be so common (and I also don't think "to" really qualifies
> >> as a homophone of it).
>
> Dan Tilque:
> > I expected "too" not to be that common.
>
> So, Calvin, which list of the 200 most commonly used English words were
> you referring to?

I suspect it was this one:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/TV/2006/1-1000

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Dec 11, 2018, 10:46:48 PM12/11/18
Mark Brader:
>> So, Calvin, which list of the 200 most commonly used English words were
>> you referring to?

"Calvin":
To, #3; too, #111; two, #149. And there, #62; they're, #189; but their, #238.
Whodathunkit?

Thanks, Calvin.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Constrain your data early and often."
m...@vex.net -- C. M. Sperberg-McQueen

Dan Tilque

Dec 12, 2018, 11:48:46 PM12/12/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
>>> So, Calvin, which list of the 200 most commonly used English words were
>>> you referring to?
>
> "Calvin":
>> I suspect it was this one:
>>
>> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/TV/2006/1-1000
>
> To, #3; too, #111; two, #149. And there, #62; they're, #189; but their, #238.
> Whodathunkit?

Should note the title has "TV" in it. This is a frequency of spoken
words, specifically, spoken in TV dialog. Which is why the two most
common are "you" and "I", respectively. If it were written words, the
most common would be "the" by a very large margin. If it were spoken in
ordinary conversation, I understand the most common would be "I".

Not that I think this makes the answer wrong. But it could be different
depending on which one you chose.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Dec 12, 2018, 11:55:38 PM12/12/18
Mark Brader:

"Calvin":
>>> I suspect it was this one:
>>> https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/TV/2006/1-1000

Mark Brader:
>> To, #3; too, #111; two, #149. And there, #62; they're, #189; but their, #238.

Dan Tilque:
> Should note the title has "TV" in it. This is a frequency of spoken
> words, specifically, spoken in TV dialog...

> Not that I think this makes the answer wrong. But it could be different
> depending on which one you chose.

Good point.

Just for interest, I tried another one of the lists there -- the one from
contemporary fiction:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/Wiktionary:Frequency_lists/Contemporary_fiction

To, #3; too, #116; two, #123. And there, #57, their, #101 -- but
they're, #525. Which makes sense because many fiction writers will
only use "they're" in dialogue.
--
Mark Brader "Update Notes... v6.8.14
Toronto Introduced bugs and degraded performance"

Calvin

Dec 13, 2018, 9:20:53 PM12/13/18
There is no definitive source, but I worded the question in such a way as to be supported by several such lists.

cheers,
calvin