Rotating Quiz #187 - Rare Entries

Peter Smyth

Jun 29, 2015, 3:26:37 PM6/29/15
This edition of the Rotating Quiz is a Rare Entries quiz. The rules
below are identical to Mark Brader's normal rules, with one important
exception. You may NOT use any reference material to assist you in
choosing your answers. I have tried to design the questions so that
everyone should be able to come up with at least one answer for each
question from their own knowledge.

Entries should be sent by email to smy...@gmail.com before 23:59 UTC
July 4 2015.

The winner will be able to set the next quiz.

0. Name a country that won 20 or more medals at the 2012 Summer
Olympics.
1. Name a film that has won five or more Academy Awards.
2. Name a current head of state of an EU member country.
3. Name a chemical element whose usual English name is six letters long.
4. Name a play by Shakespeare that was classified as a comedy in the
First Folio.
5. Name a country whose flag includes only the colours red, white and
blue.
6. Name a person who has been Vice President of the United States since
1940.
7. Name a man who has won one or more of the four Grand Slam tennis
tournaments since 2000 (singles only).
8. Name one of the original 13 states of the USA.
9. Name a man who has walked on the Moon.

* 1. The Game

As usual, for each of the questions above, your objective is to give
an answer that (1) is correct, and (2) will be duplicated by as FEW
other people as possible. You may NOT use any reference material to
assist you in choosing your answers.

* 2. Scoring

The scores on the different questions are MULTIPLIED to produce a
final score for each entrant. Low score wins; a perfect score is 1.

If your answer on a category is correct, then your score is the number
of people who gave that answer, or an answer I consider equivalent.

A wrong answer, or a skipped question, gets a high score as a penalty.
This is the median of:
- the number of entrants
- the square root of that number, rounded up to an integer
- double the highest score that anyone would have on this
question if all answers were deemed correct

* 2.1 Scoring Example

Say I ask for a color on the current Canadian flag. There are
27 entrants -- 20 say "red", 4 say "blue", and 1 each say "gules",
"white", and "blue square". After looking up gules I decide it's
the same color as red and should be treated as a duplicate answer;
then the 21 people who said either "red" or "gules" get 21 points
each. The person who said "white" gets a perfect score of 1 point.

"Blue square" is not a color and blue is not a color on the flag;
the 5 people who gave either of these answers each get the same
penalty score, which is the median of:
- number of entrants = 27
- sqrt(27) = 5.196+, rounded up = 6
- double the highest score = 21 x 2 = 42
or in this case, 27.

* 2.2 More Specific Variants

On some questions it's possible that one entrant will give an answer
that's a more specific variant of an answer given by someone else.
In that case the more specific variant will usually be scored as if
the two answers are different, but the other, less specific variant
will be scored as if they are the same.

In the above example, if I had decided (wrongly) to score gules as
a more specific variant of red, then "red" would still score 21,
but "gules" would now score 1.

If a wrong answer is clearly associated with a specific right
answer, I will score the right answer as if the wrong answer was a
more specific variant of it. In the above example, if there were
3 additional entrants who said "white square", then "white square"
would be scored as wrong, but the score for "white" would be 4, not 1.

"More specific" scoring will NOT apply if the question asks for an
answer "in general terms"; a more specific answer will then at best be
treated the same as the more general one, and may be considered wrong.

* 3. Entries

Entries must be emailed to the address given above. Please do not
quote the questions back to me, and do send only plain text in ASCII
or ISO 8859-1: no HTML, attachments, Micros--t character sets, etc.,
and no Unicode, please. (Entrants who fail to comply will be publicly
chastised in the results posting.)

Your message should preferably consist of just your 10 answers,
numbered from 0 to 9, along with any explanations required. Your
name should be in it somewhere -- a From: line or signature is fine.
(If I don't see both a first and a last name, or an explicit request
for a particular form of your name to be used, then your email address
will be posted in the results).

You can expect an acknowledgement when I read your entry. If this
bounces, it won't be sent again.

* 3.1 Where Leeway is Allowed

In general there is no penalty for errors of spelling, capitalization,
English usage, or other such matters of form, nor for accidentally
sending email in an unfinished state, so long as it's clear enough
what you intended. Sometimes a specific question may imply stricter
rules, though. And if you give an answer that properly refers to a
different thing related to the one you intended, I will normally take
it as written.

Once you intentionally submit an answer, no changes will be allowed,
unless I decide there was a problem with the question. Similarly,
alternate answers within an entry will not be accepted. Only the
first answer that you intentionally submit counts.

* 3.2 Clarifications

Questions are not intended to be hard to understand, but I may fail
in this intent. (For one thing, in many cases clarity could only be
provided by an example which would suggest one or another specific
answer, and I mustn't do that.)

In order to be fair to all entrants, I must insist that requests for
clarification must be emailed to me, NOT POSTED in any newsgroup.
But if you do ask for clarification, I'll probably say that the
question is clear enough as posted. If I do decide to clarify or
change a question, all entrants will be informed.

* 3.3 Supporting Information

It is your option whether or not to provide supporting information
to justify your answers. If you don't, I'll email you to ask for
it if I need to. If you supply it in the form of a URL, if at all
possible it should be a "deep link" to the specific relevant page.
There is no need to supply URLs for obvious, well-known reference
web sites, and there is no point in supplying URLs for pages that
don't actually support your answer.

If you provide any explanatory remarks along with your answers, you
are responsible for making it sufficiently clear that they are not
part of the answers. The particular format doesn't matter as long
as you're clear. In the scoring example above, "white square" was
wrong; "white (in the central square)" would have been taken as a
correct answer with an explanation.

* 4. Interpretation of questions

These are general rules that apply unless a question specifically
states otherwise.

* 4.1 Geography
* 4.1.1 Countries

"Country" means an independent country. Whether or not a place is
considered an independent country is determined by how it is listed
in reference sources.

For purposes of these contests, the Earth is considered to be divid-
ed into disjoint areas each of which is either (1) a country, (2) a
dependency, or (3) without national government. Their boundaries
are interpreted on a de facto basis. Any place with representatives
in a country's legislature is considered a part of that country rather
than a dependency of it.

The European Union is considered as an association of countries, not
a country itself.

Claims that are not enforced, or not generally recognized, don't count.
Places currently fighting a war of secession don't count. Embassies
don't count as special; they may have extraterritorial rights, but
they're still part of the host country (and city).

Countries existing at different historical times are normally
considered the same country if they have the same capital city.

* 4.1.2 States or provinces

Many countries or dependencies are divided into subsidiary political
entities, typically with their own subsidiary governments. At the
first level of division, these entities are most commonly called
states or provinces, but various other names are used; sometimes
varying even within the same country (e.g. to indicate unequal
political status).

Any reference to "states or provinces" in a question refers to
these entities at the first level of division, no matter what they
are called.

* 4.1.3 Distances

Distances between places on the Earth are measured along a great
circle path, and distance involving cities are based on the city
center (downtown).

* 4.2 Entertainment

A "movie" does not include any form of TV broadcast or video release;
it must have been shown in cinemas. "Oscar" and "Academy Award" are
AMPAS trademarks and refer to the awards given by that organization.
"Fiction" includes dramatizations of true stories.

* 4.3 Words and Numbers
* 4.3.1 Different Answers

Some questions specifically ask for a word, rather than the thing
that it names; this means that different words with the same meaning
will in general be treated as distinct answers. However, if two or
more inflectional variants, spelling variants, or other closely
related forms are correct answers, they will be treated as equivalent.

Similarly, if the question specifically asks for a name, different
things referred to by the same name will be treated as the same.

* 4.3.2 Permitted Words

On questions that specifically ask for a word, The word that you
give must be listed (or implied by a listing, as with inflected
forms) in a suitable dictionary. Generally this means a printed
dictionary published recently enough to show reasonably current
usage, or its online equivalent. Other reasonably authoritative
sources may be accepted on a case-by-case basis. Words listed
as obsolete or archaic usage don't count, and sources that would
list those words without distinguishing them are not acceptable
as dictionaries.

* 4.3.3 Permitted Numbers

Where the distinction is important, "number" refers to a specific
mathematical value, whereas "numeral" means a way of writing it.
Thus "4", "IV", and "four" are three different numerals representing
the same number. "Digit" means one of the characters "0", "1", "2",
etc. (These definitions represent one of several conflicting common
usages.)

* 4.3.4 "Contained in"

If a question asks for a word or numeral "contained" or "included"
in a phrase, title, or the like, this does not include substrings or
alternate meanings of words, unless explictly specified. For example,
if "Canada in 1967" is the title of a book, it contains the numeral
1967 and the preposition "in"; but it does not contain the word "an",
the adjective "in", or the numeral 96.

* 4.4 Tense and Time

When a question is worded in the present tense, the correctness of
your answer is determined by the facts at the moment you submit it.
(In a case where, in my judgement, people might reasonably be unaware
of the facts having changed, an out-of-date answer may be accepted as
correct.) Questions worded in the present perfect tense include the
present unless something states or implies otherwise. (For example,
Canada is a country that "has existed", as well as one that "exists".)
Different verbs in a sentence bear their usual tense relationship to
each other.

You are not allowed to change the facts yourself in order to make an
answer correct. For example, if a question asks for material on the
WWW, what you cite must already have existed before the contest was
first posted.

* 5. Judging

As moderator, I will be the sole judge of what answers are correct,
and whether two answers with similar meaning (like red and gules)
are considered the same, different, or more/less specific variants.

I will do my best to be fair on all such issues, but sometimes it is
necessary to be arbitrary. Those who disagree with my rulings are
welcome to complain (or to start a competing contest, or whatever).

I may rescore the contest if I agree that I made a serious error and
it affects the high finishers.

* 6. Results

Results will normally be posted within a few days of the contest
closing. They may be delayed if I'm unexpectedly busy or for
technical reasons. If I feel I need help evaluating one or more
answers, I may make a consultative posting in the newsgroups before
scoring the contest.

In the results posting, all entrants will be listed in order of score,
but high (bad) scores may be omitted. The top few entrants' full
answer slates will be posted. A table of answers and their scores
will be given for each question.

* 7. Fun

This contest is for fun. Please do have fun, and good luck to all.

Peter Smyth

Jul 2, 2015, 1:19:46 PM7/2/15
A reminder that you have just over two days to enter this quiz

Peter

Peter Smyth

Jul 5, 2015, 5:35:56 PM7/5/15
Only six entrants, but despite that every question saw a duplicate
and/or wrong answer.

> 0. Name a country that won 20 or more medals at the 2012 Summer
> Olympics.

3: Germany
1: Australia
1: China
1: United Kingdom

> 1. Name a film that has won five or more Academy Awards.

2: Titanic
1: Schindler's List
1: The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King

WRONG
1: Birdman (won 4 awards)
1: The Godfather (Won 3 awards)

The Godfather Part II would have been a correct answer.

> 2. Name a current head of state of an EU member country.

2: Queen Elizabeth II (United Kingdom)
1: Sauli Niinisto (Finland)

WRONG
2: Angela Merkel
1: Matteo Renzi

Both Angela Merkel and Matteo Renzi are only the head of government of
their countries, not the head of state.

> 3. Name a chemical element whose usual English name is six letters
> long.

2: Barium
1: Cesium
1: Cobalt
1: Erbium
1: Iodine

> 4. Name a play by Shakespeare that was classified as a comedy
> in the First Folio.

2: As You Like It
1: All's Well That Ends Well
1: A Midsummer Night's Dream
1: The Taming of the Shrew
1: Twelth Night

> 5. Name a country whose flag includes only the colours red, white and
> blue.

1: Chile
1: Iceland
1: Netherlands
1: New Zealand

WRONG
1: Malaysia
1: Slovenia

Both of the wrong answers have one or more yellow stars in addition to
the red, white and blue.

> 6. Name a person who has been Vice President of the United States
> since 1940.

3: Harry Truman
2: Nelson Rockefeller
1: Walter Mondale

> 7. Name a man who has won one or more of the four Grand Slam tennis
> tournaments since 2000 (singles only).

1: Andre Agassi
1: Juan Martin Del Potro
1: Roger Federer
1: Stanislaw Wawrinka

WRONG
1: Bjorn Borg (last win 1981)
1: Michael Chang (last win 1989)

> 8. Name one of the original 13 states of the USA.

2: Maryland
1: Georgia
1: New Jersey
1: Pennsylvania

WRONG
1: Vermont

Vermont was still an independent republic during the American
Revolution, and then became the 14th state.

> 9. Name a man who has walked on the Moon.

2: Alan Shepard
1: Charles Duke
1: Eugene Cernan

WRONG
1: Gordon Cooper
1: John Glenn

So the final results are

1. 16 Calvin 1 2 WR 1 1 1 1 1 2 1
2. 36 Stephen Perry 3 1 WR 1 1 1 3 1 1 1
3. 96 Mark Brader 1 1 2 1 1 1 2 WR 2 WR
4. 576 Marc Dashevsky 3 WR WR 2 1 1 3 1 1 2
5. 864 Dan Blum 3 2 2 1 2 WR 2 WR 1 2
6. 2304 Erland Sommarskog 1 WR 1 2 2 WR 3 1 WR WR

and therefore it is back over to Calvin to set the next quiz. The
winning slates were

CALVIN STEPHEN PERRY
0. UK 0. Germany
1. Titanic 1. LOTR: Return of the King
2. Matteo Renzi 2. Angela Merkel
3. Cobalt 3. Iodine
4. All's Well That End's Well 4. A Midsummer Night's Dream
5. Iceland 5. Chile
6. Walter Mondale 6. Harry Truman
7. Juan Martin Del Potro 7. Andre Agassi
8. Maryland 8. Pennsylvania
9. Eugene Cernan 9. Charles Duke

Thanks for playing

Peter Smyth

swp

Jul 5, 2015, 11:15:53 PM7/5/15
On Sunday, July 5, 2015 at 5:35:56 PM UTC-4, Peter Smyth wrote:
> Only six entrants, but despite that every question saw a duplicate
> and/or wrong answer.

and as I said in my email, this was very clever of you. thank you.
and this is the best finish I have ever had in a rare entries contest. I think I came in 4th, once, in one of Mark Brader's contests.

swp

Mark Brader

Jul 6, 2015, 12:31:11 AM7/6/15
Peter Smyth:
> > 1. 16 Calvin 1 2 WR 1 1 1 1 1 2 1
> > 2. 36 Stephen Perry 3 1 WR 1 1 1 3 1 1 1

Stephen Perry:
> and this is the best finish I have ever had in a rare entries contest.

Well, that depends on whether you count the position relative to the
size of the field.

> I think I came in 4th, once, in one of Mark Brader's contests.

A bit better than that. Stephen was 4th in contests MSB30, MSB58,
MSB71, and MSB77 (in 2002, 2008, 2011, and 2013 respectively),
which had fields of 31, 28, 21, and 25 entrants respectively.

But his best finish in my contest series was 3rd of 31 entrants in
contest MSB32 in 2003. The top three slates in that one were:

JOHN GERSON LARRY TAPPER STEPHEN PERRY
[0] Tripolitania Japan Apache tribe
[1] Australia Italy (wrong answer)
[2] L. Victoria L. Prespa L. Tanganyika
[3] Subdwarf Giant Dwarf
[4] Creese Skean Trident
[5] Golf Rotation Sphincter
[6] Edgar Wield Jane Marple Charlie Chan
[7] Harlequin Sorrel Mackerel
[8] Knuckle Armpit Asshole
[9] Libya St.V. & Grenadines São Tomé & P.

No doubt it will be obvious that the questions asked for
[0] military opponents of the US; [1] America's Cup finalists;
[2] inland waters containing tripoints; [3] adjectives with
"star" in astronomy; [4] stabbing weapons; [5] pool-type games;
[6] fictional detectives on film; [7] cat colorings; [8] parts of
body with other meanings; and [9] country names containing "and".
(I summarize).
--
Mark Brader | "In a case like this, where the idiom is old and its wiring
Toronto | probably a mess, we tamper with nothing. There is always

Calvin

Jul 7, 2015, 7:41:21 PM7/7/15
On Monday, July 6, 2015 at 7:35:56 AM UTC+10, Peter Smyth wrote:

> and therefore it is back over to Calvin to set the next quiz.

Coming up in a day or two...

> Thanks for playing

Thanks for hosting.

cheers,