QFTCIMM16 Game 4, Rounds 4,6: power couples, Tudors

已查看 19 次
跳至第一个未读帖子

Mark Brader

未读,
2017年1月6日 04:12:052017/1/6
收件人
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power Couples

When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).

1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
"The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?

2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
couple.

3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
fashion.

4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
that gained them a lot of attention.

5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
democracy work". Name the couple.

6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".

7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
and philanthropic activity.

8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.

9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
is named after them.

10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.

* Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors

In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.

1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?

2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13:
Rfgnoyvfurq nf Urael IVV, ur gura fbhtug gb cynpngr uvf qrsrngrq
rarzvrf ol zneelvat Rqjneq VI'f qnhtugre. Jub jnf fur?

3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
James IV. What was her *first name*?

6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.

7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?

10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
Who was she?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Most people are other people. Their thoughts
m...@vex.net | are someone else's opinions..." --Oscar Wilde

Peter Smyth

未读,
2017年1月6日 07:00:422017/1/6
收件人
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity
> Power Couples
>
> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?
Bogart and Gilbert
> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.
>
> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.
David Bowie & Iman
> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.
John Lennon & Yoko Ono
> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.
Kurt Russell & Goldie Hawn
> 6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
> of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
> Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
> collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".
Jay-Z and Beyonce
> 7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
> Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
> award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
> and philanthropic activity.
>
> 8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
> a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.
>
> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.
Richard Burton & Elizabeth Taylor
> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors
>
> In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
> otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
> a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
> name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.
>
> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?
Bosworth Field
> 2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13:
> Established as Henry VII, he then sought to placate his defeated
> enemies by marrying Edward IV's daughter. Who was she?
Margaret of York
> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?
Arthur
> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?
Catherine of Aragon
> 5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
> to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
> James IV. What was her *first name*?
Margaret
> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his surname.
Wolsey, Cranmer
> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?
Anne Boleyn
> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?
Catherine Parr
> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?
Edward VI
> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?
Lady Jane Grey

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

未读,
2017年1月6日 08:53:282017/1/6
收件人
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power Couples

> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.

Desi Arnaz and Lucille Ball

> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.

Iman and David Bowie

> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.

Yoko Ono and John Lennon

> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.

Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins

> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors

> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?

Bosworth Field

> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

Arthur; William

> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

Anne of Cleves

> 5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
> to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
> James IV. What was her *first name*?

Elizabeth; Cecily

> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.

Wolsey; More

> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

Catherine Howard

> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

Catherine Parr

> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?

Edward VI

> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?

Jane Grey

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

未读,
2017年1月6日 20:52:512017/1/6
收件人
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power
> Couples
>
> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?

Greta Garbo & John Gilbert

> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.

Desi Arnaz & Lucille Ball

> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.

Iman & David Bowie

> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.

Yoko Ono & John Lennon

> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.

Susan Sarandon & Tim Robbins

> 6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
> of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
> Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
> collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".

Beyonce Knowles & Jay-Z

> 7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
> Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
> award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
> and philanthropic activity.

Joanne Woodward & Paul Newman

> 8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
> a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.

Mary Pickford & Douglas Fairbanks

> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.

Elizabeth Taylor & Richard Burton

> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.

Ingrid Bergman & Roberto Rossellini

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors
>
> In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
> otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
> a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
> name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.
>
> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?

Battle of Culloden

> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

Arthur

> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

Catherine of Aragon

> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.

Wolsey

> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

Anne Boleyn

> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

Catherine Howard; Catherine Parr

> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?

Edward VI

> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?

Jane Grey

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

未读,
2017年1月7日 15:55:342017/1/7
收件人
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power Couples
>
> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?
>
> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.

Arnez and Ball ??
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton

> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.
>

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors
>
> In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
> otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
> a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
> name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.
>
> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?
>
> 2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13:
> Rfgnoyvfurq nf Urael IVV, ur gura fbhtug gb cynpngr uvf qrsrngrq
> rarzvrf ol zneelvat Rqjneq VI'f qnhtugre. Jub jnf fur?
>
> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

Richard ??

> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

Catherine

> 5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
> to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
> James IV. What was her *first name*?

Mary

> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.
>
> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

Anne Boleyn

> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

Catherine Parr

> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?

Edward V

> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?

Jane Grey (poor girl)

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

未读,
2017年1月8日 20:55:352017/1/8
收件人
On Friday, January 6, 2017 at 7:12:05 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power Couples
>
> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?
>
> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.
>
> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.

Klum & Seal

> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.
>
> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.

Sarandon & Robbins

> 6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
> of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
> Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
> collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".
>
> 7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
> Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
> award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
> and philanthropic activity.

Woodward & Newman

> 8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
> a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.

Fairbanks & Pickford

> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.

Taylor & Burton

> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.

Bergman & Rossilini

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors
>
> In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
> otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
> a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
> name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.
>
> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?

Bosworth Field

> 2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13:
> Rfgnoyvfurq nf Urael IVV, ur gura fbhtug gb cynpngr uvf qrsrngrq
> rarzvrf ol zneelvat Rqjneq VI'f qnhtugre. Jub jnf fur?

Elizabeth of York, Elizabeth Woodville

> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

Arthur

> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

Katherine of Aragon

> 5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
> to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
> James IV. What was her *first name*?

Margaret

> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.

Wolsey, Cromwell

> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

Anne Boleyn

> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

Katherine Parr

> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?

Edward VI

> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?

Lady Jane Grey

cheers,
calvin

Pete

未读,
2017年1月9日 01:16:182017/1/9
收件人
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power
> Couples
>
> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?

Greta Garbo and ??

> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.

Arnaz and Ball

> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.

Bach and Starr; Anderson and Lee

> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.

Yoko Ono and John Lennon

> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.

Sarandon and Robbins

> 6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
> of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
> Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
> collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".

Beyonce and Jay Z

> 7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
> Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
> award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
> and philanthropic activity.

Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

> 8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
> a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.

Douglas Fairbanks and Mary Pickford

> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.

Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton

> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.

Bergman and Rossellini; Bergman and Bergmann

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors
>
> In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
> otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
> a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
> name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.
>
> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?
>
> 2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13:
> Rfgnoyvfurq nf Urael IVV, ur gura fbhtug gb cynpngr uvf qrsrngrq
> rarzvrf ol zneelvat Rqjneq VI'f qnhtugre. Jub jnf fur?
>
> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

Charles

> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

Catherine of Aragon

> 5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
> to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
> James IV. What was her *first name*?

Mary

> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.

Woolsey

> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

Catherine Parr

> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

Catherine Howard

> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?
>
> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?

Mary, Queen of Scots

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

未读,
2017年1月9日 02:11:172017/1/9
收件人
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity
> Power Couples

> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).

In the original game this was the 2nd-easiest round, after the
current-events round.

> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?

John Gilbert, Greta Garbo. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.

Desi Arnaz, Lucille Ball. (Desilu.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Den Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.

David Bowie, Iman. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.

John Lennon, Yoko Ono. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.

Tim Robbins, Susan Sarandon. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin,
and Pete.

> 6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
> of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
> Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
> collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".

Jay-Z, Beyoncé. 4 for Peter, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
> Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
> award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
> and philanthropic activity.

Paul Newman, Joanne Woodward. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
> a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.

Douglas Fairbanks (Sr.), Mary Pickford. 4 for Joshua, Calvin,
and Pete.

> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.

Richard Burton, Elizabeth Taylor. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Dan Blum,
Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Pete.

> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.

Roberto Rossellini, Ingrid Bergman. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

The movies were: "Stromboli" (1950), "Europe '51" (1952), "Journey
to Italy" (1954), "Joan of Arc at the Stake" (1954), "Fear" (1954).

> * Game 4, Round 6 - History - The Tudors

> In this round, when you're naming a person, unless indicated
> otherwise a single name is not a sufficient answer. You must give
> a first name and regnal number, a first and last name, a first
> name and soubriquet, etc. as applicable.

> 1. Henry, Earl of Richmond, established the Tudor dynasty by
> defeating Richard III at *which seminal English battle*?

Bosworth Field. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Calvin.

> 2. Please answer the previous question before decoding the rot13:
> Established as Henry VII, he then sought to placate his defeated
> enemies by marrying Edward IV's daughter. Who was she?

Elizabeth of York. 3 for Calvin.

> 3. Henry VIII was a second son. His older brother was destined
> to be king but instead died young. What was his *first name*?

Arthur. 4 for Peter, Joshua, and Calvin. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 4. <answer 3> had been married to the daughter of the King of Spain.
> Afterwards, she was remarried -- to Henry VIII. What was her name?

Catherine of Aragon. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 5. Henry VII also made a dynastic marriage, with the Scots, to try
> to calm the northern border. His daughter was married to
> James IV. What was her *first name*?

Margaret. 4 for Peter and Calvin.

That marriage was in 1503, and in the long run (or at least, in the
long run as far as 2016) it worked. Their infant great-grandson took
the throne as James VI of Scotland in 1567; but after Henry VIII's
three legitimate children -- Edward VI, Mary I, and Elizabeth I -- all
died without issue, the English throne reverted to Henry VII's line.
So in 1603 James VI also became James I of England, a personal union
of the crowns that led to the formation of the United Kingdom in 1707.

> 6. This man was Henry VIII's chief counselor for the first
> 20 years of his reign, the Archbishop of York, and a cardinal
> of the Catholic Church. He helped engineer the annulment of
> Henry's marriage to <answer 4>. Give his *surname*.

Thomas Wolsey. 4 for Joshua and Pete. 3 for Peter, Dan Blum,
and Calvin.

> 7. Which of Henry VIII's six wives was the mother of Elizabeth I?

Anne Boleyn. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 8. Who was the last of Henry VIII's wives?

Catherine Parr. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.
2 for Joshua.

> 9. Which of his children immediately succeeded Henry VIII?

Edward VI. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 10. When <answer 9> was dying young, he signed a document naming
> as his heir a teenage great-niece of Henry VII, favored by his
> council of regency in preference to Henry VIII's daughters.
> This process was quickly disputed and the putative queen was
> deposed and executed. She became known as "the 9-day queen".
> Who was she?

Lady Jane Grey. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Calvin.

After Jane Grey was, ah, eliminated, the throne went to the older
of Edward VI's half-sisters, Mary I of England.

One entrant tried answering with another Mary, Mary Queen of Scots.
She does fit some aspects of the question but is not the right answer.

The story is that when Mary I died the throne of England went to the
third half-sibling, Elizabeth I -- but Catholics did not recognize
Elizabeth as legitimate because her mother was Anne Boleyn and they
considered that Henry was still married to Catherine of Aragon at
the time. In their view, Henry VIII now had no legitimate heirs
and so the throne of England belonged to Henry VII's granddaughter,
namely Mary Queen of Scots. In fact, this Mary was deposed from the
throne of Scotland some years later, and fled to England hoping that
Elizabeth would support her; but instead she was imprisoned and,
after a 19-year delay, she too was executed.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Lit Ent His
Joshua Kreitzer 8 40 40 26 114
Pete Gayde 32 23 36 8 99
Peter Smyth 12 24 16 35 87
Dan Blum 4 20 20 22 66
"Calvin" -- -- 20 38 58
Don Piven 16 40 -- -- 56
Gareth Owen 26 24 -- -- 50
Dan Tilque 4 23 8 12 47
Marc Dashevsky 12 32 -- -- 44
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader | "It is refreshing to have Republican presidential
Toronto | candidates we can believe about *something*.
| And... what Dole says about Bush." --Craig B. Leman

Marc Dashevsky

未读,
2017年1月9日 02:54:122017/1/9
收件人
In article <F7SdnYMSgKrCwvLF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity Power Couples
>
> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?
Greta Garbo and Gilbert

> 2. Another famous portmanteau became the name of a TV production
> company -- one that brought us TV classics like "Mission:
> Impossible", "That Girl", and "The Untouchables". Name the
> couple.
Lucille Ball and Desi Arnaz

> 3. She was a supermodel. He was a rock star. They married in
> 1992 and established themselves as the model of style and
> fashion.
>
> 4. In the years after their marriage in 1969, her fame and
> notoriety grew beyond a small group of art lovers. He grew as
> a solo musician. But it was also their political activities
> that gained them a lot of attention.
Yoko Ono and John Lennon

> 5. Also known for their political activities, these Oscar-winners
> were together for 26 years until their shocking break-up in 2009.
> Kevin Costner said they had "the type of courage that makes
> democracy work". Name the couple.
Susan Sarandon and Tim Robbins

> 6. According to Forbes, this couple have a combined net worth
> of almost $1,000,000,000, and they're cozy with the President.
> Their relationship started 14 years ago after their musical
> collaboration on the song "'03 Bonnie & Clyde".
>
> 7. They met in 1952 and got married shortly after starring in "The
> Long Hot Summer". Over their 50 years of marriage, they enjoyed
> award-winning careers and devoted themselves to entrepreneurial
> and philanthropic activity.
Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward

> 8. They were married 16 years. She was born in Toronto. He was
> a swashbuckling hero. Together they founded United Artists.
Douglas Fairbanks

> 9. Their on-again-off-again marriage was headline news in the
> 1960s and '70s. They began their affair on-set, married each
> other twice, and acted together in 11 films. A 68-carat diamond
> is named after them.
Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton

> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.
Ingrid Bergman and Rosselini

Mark Brader

未读,
2017年1月9日 03:52:232017/1/9
收件人
If Marc Dashevsky's answers had been posted on time, he would have
received 28 pounds on Round 4 and 0 on Round 6.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Damn! Damn! Damn! Er, I mean thanks, Mark."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Ball

Mark Brader

未读,
2017年1月9日 03:54:262017/1/9
收件人
Mark Brader:
> If Marc Dashevsky's answers had been posted on time, he would have
> received 28 pounds on Round 4 and 0 on Round 6.

Or if the pound was devalued, then 28 points on Round 4 and 0 on Round 6.
--
Mark Brader | "Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure,
Toronto | nineteen pounds, nineteen, six, result happiness.
| twenty pounds ought and six, result misery."
| -- Mr. Micawber (Dickens: David Copperfield)

Pete

未读,
2017年1月9日 14:25:292017/1/9
收件人
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:kv2dnexudMwNqu7FnZ2dnUU7-
bvN...@giganews.com:

> Mark Brader:
>> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-17,
>> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information
>> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

>> * Game 4, Round 4 - Entertainment - Before Brangelina: Celebrity
>> Power Couples
>
>> When it comes to celebrity power couples, the whole is greater than
>> the sum of its parts. Here are 10 questions about entertaining
>> couples who made an impact. Sorry, but *both people's names*
>> are required for every question (as usual, surnames will suffice).
>
> In the original game this was the 2nd-easiest round, after the
> current-events round.
>
>> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
>> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
>> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
>> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?
>
> John Gilbert, Greta Garbo. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

I did not give a complete answer to this question, only mentioning Garbo.

>> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
>> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
>> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
>> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
>> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.
>
> Roberto Rossellini, Ingrid Bergman. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

I gave 2 answers to this question, the second of which was incorrect.

Pete

Mark Brader

未读,
2017年1月9日 15:41:302017/1/9
收件人
Mark Brader:
> >> 1. Those portmanteau names like the "Brangelina" in this round's
> >> title have been around for quite a while. In the late 1920s
> >> the press called this couple "Gilbo". Gilbo first met in 1926's
> >> "The Flesh and the Devil". Who were Gilbo?

> > John Gilbert, Greta Garbo. 4 for Joshua and Pete.

Pete Gayde:
> I did not give a complete answer to this question, only mentioning Garbo.

Arrgh. (They just do it to distract me, don't they?)

> >> 10. They were both at the peak of their film careers when she wrote
> >> him a fan letter in 1949. Over the next 8 years, they regularly
> >> made the headlines for extramarital affairs, an illegitimate
> >> child, even condemnation from HUAC. Of course all this made them
> >> very popular in Europe, where he directed her in 5 of his movies.
> >
> > Roberto Rossellini, Ingrid Bergman. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.
>
> I gave 2 answers to this question, the second of which was incorrect.

Dang! That was careless of me. Sorry, folks. 0 for Pete on #1 and
3 on #10, then.

Corrected scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 4 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Spo Lit Ent His
Joshua Kreitzer 8 40 40 26 114
Pete Gayde 32 23 31 8 94
Peter Smyth 12 24 16 35 87
Dan Blum 4 20 20 22 66
"Calvin" -- -- 20 38 58
Don Piven 16 40 -- -- 56
Gareth Owen 26 24 -- -- 50
Dan Tilque 4 23 8 12 47
Marc Dashevsky 12 32 -- -- 44
Erland Sommarskog 8 4 -- -- 12

--
Mark Brader | "On our campus the UNIX system has proved to be not
Toronto | only an effective software tool, but an agent of
| -- John Lions, 1979

Calvin

未读,
2017年1月9日 17:43:522017/1/9
收件人
On Monday, January 9, 2017 at 6:54:26 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > If Marc Dashevsky's answers had been posted on time, he would have
> > received 28 pounds on Round 4 and 0 on Round 6.

This is the first I've heard of cash prizes.

cheers,
calvin

swp

未读,
2017年1月9日 18:34:472017/1/9
收件人
dang it Mark! now they know why I've been absent so long...

swp
0 个新帖子