Calvin's Quiz #174

Calvin

Oct 27, 2011, 11:50:51 PM10/27/11

1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband
3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?
4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?
5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?
6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?
7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?
8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?
9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?
10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Oct 28, 2011, 12:02:47 AM10/28/11
"Calvin":
> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Prosthetics.

> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

John.

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Novel "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory", films "Willie Wonka
and the Chocolate Factory" and "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory".

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy.

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

The March sisters in "Little Women".

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Perfume.

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?
> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?

Redford.

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Nut.

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Miller.
--
Mark Brader "Poor spelling does not prove poor knowledge,
Toronto but is fatal to the argument by intimidation."

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 28, 2011, 12:17:51 AM10/28/11
In article <op.v31ma...@04233-26jz62s.staff.ad.bond.edu.au>, cal...@phlegm.com says...
> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband
> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Willie Wonka and the Chocolate
Factory is an incorrect answer since there is only a film of that
name -- no book.)

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?
Lucy

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?
the Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?
perfume

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?
Nelson Mandela

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?
Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?
seed

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?
Arthur Miller

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

John Masters

Oct 28, 2011, 1:07:53 AM10/28/11
On 2011-10-28 03:50:51 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Dennis

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?
> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Linus

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Perfume

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandela

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Seed

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 28, 2011, 3:07:04 AM10/28/11
Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Orthopedics

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandela

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Nut

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Mr. Monroe.

Peter Smyth

Oct 28, 2011, 3:38:31 AM10/28/11
"Calvin" wrote in message

>1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
Prosthethics
>2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband
Denis
>3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
>4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?
>5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?
>6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?
perfume
>7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?
Nelson Mandela
>8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?
Robert Redford
>9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?
Nut
>10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?
Arthur Miller

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

Oct 28, 2011, 10:43:19 AM10/28/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:50:51 +1000, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Prosthetics (spelling?)

> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Calvin :-)

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy VanPelt

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

perfume

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandella

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival
> in 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Seed

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller

Jeffrey Turner

Oct 28, 2011, 11:55:14 AM10/28/11
On 10/27/2011 11:50 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband
> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?
Lucy
> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?
Little Women
> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?
perfume
> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?
Nelson Mandela
> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?
Robert Redford
> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?
Seed
> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?
DiMaggio

--Jeff

Rob Parker

Oct 28, 2011, 5:34:06 PM10/28/11
> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

prosthetics

> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Dennis

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (?)

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

I forget - it ages since I've seen a Peanuts cartoon (sigh!)

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

cosmetics/perfume

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandela

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in
> 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

yes - it's a seed

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller

Rob

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 28, 2011, 11:01:34 PM10/28/11
On Oct 27, 10:50 pm, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:
> 1       Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

prosthetics

> 2       What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Denis

> 3       In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

> 4       Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy

> 5       Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

the main characters in "Little Women"

> 6       What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

perfume

> 7       Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandela

> 8       Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9       Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

seed

> 10      Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Oct 29, 2011, 2:19:16 AM10/29/11
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband
> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?
> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?
> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in
> 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Not a good question, since those three are not mutually exclusive. That
is, beans and nuts are also seeds. I'm going to guess you're looking
seed, though.

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Joe DiMaggio

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Oct 29, 2011, 9:33:08 AM10/29/11
Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote in

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human
> limbs?

Prosthetetics

> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband?

Thomas

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Perfume

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and
80s?

Mandela

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film
> Festival in 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Nut

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller

Pete

Chris F.A. Johnson

Oct 30, 2011, 4:23:34 AM10/30/11
On 2011-10-28, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?
> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Dennis (or is it Denis?)

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?
> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Perfume

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and
80s?

Mandela

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival
in 1978?

Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Yes.

Nut

Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================

Stan Brown

Oct 30, 2011, 2:54:11 PM10/30/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:50:51 +1000, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Prosthetics

> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Denis

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy

> 5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women?

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Base for perfumes

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Pope Pius XII

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?

Robert Redford

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

A seed

> 10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Pope Pius XII

http://OakRoadSystems.com
Shikata ga nai...

David B

Oct 31, 2011, 6:17:32 AM10/31/11
> 1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Prosthetics.

> 2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Dennis.

> 3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory.

> 4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy.

> 6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Perfume.

> 7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Mandela.

> 8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in
> 1978?

Robert Redford.

> 9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Seed.

Russ

Nov 1, 2011, 11:31:32 AM11/1/11
On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:50:51 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

>1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Prosthetics

>2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Denis

>3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

>4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy Van Pelt

>5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women (although some of those names sound familiar to the TV
show "Facts of Life".

>6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Nothing any more, since it comes from Sperm Whales, which are
considered an endangered species. It's been banned from use in hte US
since the 1970's. However, previous to that, it was used as a food
additive (flavoring), medicine (headaches), and for perfume.

>7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandela

>8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in 1978?

Robert Redford

>9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Seed

>10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller (although she didn't change her name. Se did keep
the DiMagio name from her marriage to Joe.)

Russ

Calvin

Nov 3, 2011, 9:51:13 PM11/3/11
Reposted via Google Groups

On Fri, 28 Oct 2011 13:50:51 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

1 Which branch of medicine is concerned with artificial human limbs?

Prosthetics
7/13

2 What was the given name of Margaret Thatcher's husband

Denis
6/13
"Dennis" gets more hits on Google but I'm pretty sure it should only
have one n. Either spelling is acceptable in any case.

3 In which novel and film do the Oompa Loompas appear?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory [novel] or Willy Wonka and the
Chocolate Factory [film]
11/13
Badly worded question sorry. I meant novel and/or film. I don't know
why they changed the name for the 1971 film but I don't ask trick
questions so wasn't trying to catch anyone out over that.

4 Which Peanuts character offers psychiatric advice?

Lucy [Van Pelt]
8/11

5 Who are Amy, Beth, Jo and Meg?

Little Women
11/13

6 What is the main commercial use of the whale product ambergris ?

Perfume / cosmetics
11/13

7 Who served 18 years at Robben Island prison in the 1970s and 80s?

Nelson Mandela
10/13

8 Which American actor helped establish the Sundance Film Festival in
1978?

Robert Redford
12/13

9 Is the coffee bean actually a bean, a nut or seed?

Seed
8/13
Dan pointed out that the terms are not mutually exclusive so I'm
certainly willing to consider appeals.

10 Who was Marilyn Monroe's last husband?

Arthur Miller
9/13
Pope Pius XII was a good guess though.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 174
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 Bruce Bowler
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 5 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 Erland S
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 Jeffrey Turner
0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 7 John Masters
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 Joshua Kreitzer
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 7 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 7 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 Rob Parker
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 Stan Brown
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
7 6 11 8 11 11 10 12 8 9 93 72%

Joshua's 10/10 takes a high-scoring round.

--
cheers,
calvin

David B

Nov 4, 2011, 5:31:25 AM11/4/11
Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 174
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 Bruce Bowler
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 0 0 1 1 0 5 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 Erland S
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 7 Jeffrey Turner
0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 7 John Masters
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 Joshua Kreitzer
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 7 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 7 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 Rob Parker
1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 8 Stan Brown
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
7 6 11 8 11 11 10 12 8 9 93 72%
--
I didn't do very well then :o(

Russ

Nov 4, 2011, 8:51:00 AM11/4/11
On Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:51:13 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:
It appears that my entry wasn't tabulated in. Maybe you missed it, or
that's just when you started having issues with your server.

Russ