QFTCIWSS Game 1, Rounds 7-8: boy bands and fantasies

Mark Brader

Jul 23, 2018, 1:39:18 AM7/23/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?

Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
to name the band in each case.

1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.
2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.
3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.
4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.
5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.
6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.
7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.
8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.
9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.
10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series

In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.

1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".
2. The "Stormlight Archive".
3. "His Dark Materials".
4. "Discworld".
5. The "Shannara Chronicles".
6. The "Earthsea Cycle".
7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".
8. "The Wheel of Time".
9. The "Belgariad".
10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As long as that blue light is on, the
m...@vex.net computer is safe." -- Hot Millions

Peter Smyth

Jul 23, 2018, 7:24:44 AM7/23/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?
>
> Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
> first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
> to name the band in each case.
>
> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.
New Kids On The Block
> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.
> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.
Hanson
> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.
> 5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.
Westlife
> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.
> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.
One Direction
> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.
Take That
> 9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.
> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.
NSync

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>
> In each case we'll give you the name of a series that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.
>
> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".
Patrick Rothfuss
> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".
Brandon Sanderson
> 3. "His Dark Materials".
Philip Pulman
> 4. "Discworld".
Terry Pratchett
> 5. The "Shannara Chronicles".
Terry Goodkind
> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".
Ursula Le Guin
> 7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".
> 8. "The Wheel of Time".
Robert Jordan (and Brandon Sanderson)
> 9. The "Belgariad".
David Eddings
> 10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Jul 23, 2018, 9:52:50 AM7/23/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?

> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.

Backstreet Boys

> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.

Hanson

> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.

Menudo; Take That

> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.

One Direction

> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.

Take That

> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.

N'Sync

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series

> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".

Patrick Rothfuss

> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".

Brandon Sanderson

> 3. "His Dark Materials".

Philip Pullman

> 4. "Discworld".

Terry Pratchett

> 5. The "Shannara Chronicles".

Terry Brooks

> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".

Ursula K. Le Guin

> 7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".

Guy Gavriel Kay

> 8. "The Wheel of Time".

Robert Jordan

> 9. The "Belgariad".

David Eddings

> 10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

Roger Zelazny

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 23, 2018, 9:05:43 PM7/23/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7ZWdnfYqV8Wc98jGnZ2dnUU7-
fPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?
>
> Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
> first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
> to name the band in each case.
>
> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.

New Kids on the Block

> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.

Backstreet Boys

> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.

Hanson

> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.

Jonas Brothers

> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.

New Edition

> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.

One Direction

> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.

Take That

> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.

'N Sync

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>
> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.
>
> 3. "His Dark Materials".

Pullman

> 4. "Discworld".

Pratchett

> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".

LeGuin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 24, 2018, 4:59:01 AM7/24/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?
>
> Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
> first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
> to name the band in each case.
>
> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.
> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.
> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.
> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.
> 5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.
> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.
> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.
> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.
> 9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.
> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>
> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.
>
> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".
> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".
> 3. "His Dark Materials".

Pullman

> 4. "Discworld".

Pratchett

> 5. The "Shannara Chronicles".

Brooks

> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".

Le Guin

> 7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".
> 8. "The Wheel of Time".

Jordan

> 9. The "Belgariad".

Brust

> 10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

Zelazny

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Jul 24, 2018, 3:48:15 PM7/24/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:7ZWdnfYqV8Wc98jGnZ2dnUU7-
fPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?
>
> Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
> first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
> to name the band in each case.
>
> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.

N'Sync

> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.
> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.
> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.

Jonas Brothers

> 5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.
> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.
> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.
> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.
> 9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.
> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.

New Kids on the Block

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>
> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.
>
> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".
> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".
> 3. "His Dark Materials".
> 4. "Discworld".
> 5. The "Shannara Chronicles".
> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".
> 7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".
> 8. "The Wheel of Time".
> 9. The "Belgariad".
> 10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jul 24, 2018, 11:10:01 PM7/24/18
On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 3:39:18 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?

And I thought the wrestling round had hit rock bottom.

> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.
> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.
> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.
> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.
> 5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.
> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.
> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.

One Direction

> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.

Take That

> 9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.
> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.
>

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>
> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.
>
> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".
> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".
> 3. "His Dark Materials".
> 4. "Discworld".

Terry Pratchett

> 5. The "Shannara Chronicles".
> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".
> 7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".
> 8. "The Wheel of Time".

Donaldson?

> 9. The "Belgariad".
> 10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

cheers,
calvin

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 25, 2018, 6:16:07 PM7/25/18
On Monday, July 23, 2018 at 1:39:18 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
> recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?
>
> Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
> first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
> to name the band in each case.
>
> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.
New Kids on the Block
> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.
Backstreet Boys
> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.
Hanson
> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.
Jonas Brothers
> 5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.
> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.
New Edition
> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.
> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.
> 9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.
> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.
N-Sync

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>
> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.
>
> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".
> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".
> 3. "His Dark Materials".
> 4. "Discworld".
Terry Platchett?

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2018, 12:51:25 AM7/26/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - Which Boy Band?

> Every teenager who loves boy bands knows their members by their
> first names -- so that's what we'll give you, and you just have
> to name the band in each case.

> 1. Jordan, Jonathan, Joey, Donnie, Danny.

New Kids on the Block. 4 for Peter, Joshua, and Jason.

> 2. A.J., Brian, Nick, Kevin, Howie.

Backstreet Boys. 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 3. Isaac, Taylor, Zac.

Hanson. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> 4. Nicholas, Paul, Joe.

Jonas Brothers. 4 for Joshua, Pete, and Jason.

> 5. Nicky, Kian, Mark, Shane.

Westlife. 4 for Peter.

> 6. Ricky, Michael, Ronnie, Bobby, Ralph.

New Edition. 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 7. Niall, Harry, Louis, Liam, Zayn.

One Direction. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 8. Gary, Howard, Robbie, Jason, Mark.

Take That. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 9. Nick, Justin, Drew, Jeff.

98°.

> 10. Justin, Joey, Lance, Chris, J.C.

*Nsync. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series

> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.

There aren't many people into F&SF in our league. This was the
hardest round in the original game.

> 1. The "Kingkiller Chronicles".

Patrick Rothfuss. 4 for Peter and Dan Blum.

> 2. The "Stormlight Archive".

Brandon Sanderson. 4 for Peter and Dan Blum.

> 3. "His Dark Materials".

Philip Pullman. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 4. "Discworld".

Terry Pratchett. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin,
and Jason.

> 5. The "Shannara Chronicles".

Terry Brooks. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. The "Earthsea Cycle".

Ursula K. Le Guin. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. The "Fionavar Tapestry".

Guy Gavriel Kay. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 8. "The Wheel of Time".

Robert Jordan (and, as Peter noted, Brandon Sanderson, who completed
the last volumes after Jordan died). 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. The "Belgariad".

David and Leigh Eddings. The surname was sufficient. 4 for Peter
and Dan Blum.

> 10. The "Chronicles of Amber".

Roger Zelazny. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 5 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo His Spo Sci Ent Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 17 4 24 28 32 12 101
Dan Blum 11 16 0 20 16 40 92
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 36 8 24 4 72
Dan Tilque 0 12 0 28 0 24 64
Peter Smyth -- -- -- -- 24 28 52
Pete Gayde 11 8 0 12 4 0 35
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 32 -- -- 32
"Calvin" -- -- 0 8 8 4 20
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 -- -- -- -- 4

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "If each hand had an extra digit, we'd probably be
m...@vex.net | planning for a 144-year flood." --Mark Monmonier

Mark Brader

Aug 1, 2018, 6:04:03 AM8/1/18
Mark Brader:
>> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>>
>> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
>> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.

> There aren't many people into F&SF in our league. This was the
> hardest round in the original game.

And now that Game 10 has been played, I can add that this round in
Game 1 was the fourth-hardest in the entire season.
--
Mark Brader "... we still feel that color is hard
Toronto on the eyes for so long a picture ..."

Mark Brader

Aug 1, 2018, 6:14:23 AM8/1/18
Mark Brader:
>>> * Game 1, Round 8 - Literature - Fantasy Series
>>>
>>> In each case we'll give you the name of a *series* that may be
>>> classified as fantasy, and you name the novelist who wrote it.

>> There aren't many people into F&SF in our league. This was the
>> hardest round in the original game.

> And now that Game 10 has been played, I can add that this round in
> Game 1 was the fourth-hardest in the entire season.

Whoops, I spoke too fast there. It was actually tied for third-hardest,
with a round that you haven't seen yet. Sorry about that.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Anyone who can handle a needle convincingly can make
m...@vex.net | us see a thread which is not there." --E.H. Gombrich