QFTCIUA Game 8, Rounds 7-8: >2 names, sports

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2014, 11:12:00 PM12/28/14
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - When Two Names Aren't Enough

Sometimes actors and actresses need a little something extra to
be noticed and remembered. In the case of these notable people,
it's either a three-word name, or at least an initial in addition
to a first and last name. Again, I've sorted the questions into
picture order on the handout; and again, no decoys. Please see:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/3.pdf

In each case, name the person. Note: In this round, you must
answer with the *full name* (as usually used), not just the surname.

1. The actor in picture A is best known for his roles alongside
Will Ferrell, but he also stole scenes in "Chicago", "Gangs of
New York", and "The Hours".

2. The woman in B has been a standout in films like "Miller's
Crossing" and "The First Wives Club", and was nominated for a
Supporting Actress Oscar for "Pollock".

3. The guy in photo C has had roles all the way back to "Cool
Hand Luke". Our favorite film of his was "Repo Man", with
"Paris, Texas" close behind.

4. The actress in picture D appeared in "Fried Green Tomatoes",
"The West Wing", and "Angels in America". But she's best known
for the cable series "Weeds". Name her.

5. Picture E. While Sally Field played Mary Todd Lincoln in
"Lincoln", this actress played her in "Abraham Lincoln:
Vampire Hunter". She also has 2/3 of the same name as one
of our other answers. (That may be above or below, since
I rearranged the questions.)

6. The guy in picture F was a child star in "The Bad News Bears"
and "Breaking Away", and staged a comeback in recent years --
including an Oscar nomination -- after resorting to delivering
pizza for a living.

7. Picture G. Just name him.

8. The Picture H actor starred in "Goon", the greatest hockey
film this side of "Slap Shot", but he'll always be remembered
as Stifler from "American Pie".

9. Picture I is one of the great character actors. One of his
few starring roles was in the Coen Brothers' "Blood Simple".
But his CV includes "Reds", "Blade Runner", "Silkwood",
"Raising Arizona", and "The Pope of Greenwich Village".
He's another guy who uses an initial. Name him.

10. Picture J. Her films include "Scarface", "The Color of Money",
"The Abyss", and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".

* Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany

1. In golf, what is an albatross?

2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
the international body for tournaments in which popular
outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.

3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
on an area called a "piste"?

4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?

6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
sparrow?

7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?

8. If you are toxophilic, what sport is your passion?

9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?

10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
volleyball match?

--
Mark Brader "It is considered a sign of great {winnitude}
Toronto when your Obs are more interesting than other

Marc Dashevsky

Dec 29, 2014, 2:58:38 AM12/29/14
In article <ffydnXWTe4sSST3J...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - When Two Names Aren't Enough
>
> Sometimes actors and actresses need a little something extra to
> be noticed and remembered. In the case of these notable people,
> it's either a three-word name, or at least an initial in addition
> to a first and last name. Again, I've sorted the questions into
> picture order on the handout; and again, no decoys. Please see:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/3.pdf
>
> In each case, name the person. Note: In this round, you must
> answer with the *full name* (as usually used), not just the surname.
>
> 1. The actor in picture A is best known for his roles alongside
> Will Ferrell, but he also stole scenes in "Chicago", "Gangs of
> New York", and "The Hours".
John C. Reilly

> 2. The woman in B has been a standout in films like "Miller's
> Crossing" and "The First Wives Club", and was nominated for a
> Supporting Actress Oscar for "Pollock".
Marcia Gay Harden (great work in MYSTIC RIVER)

> 3. The guy in photo C has had roles all the way back to "Cool
> Hand Luke". Our favorite film of his was "Repo Man", with
> "Paris, Texas" close behind.
Harry Dean Stanton

> 4. The actress in picture D appeared in "Fried Green Tomatoes",
> "The West Wing", and "Angels in America". But she's best known
> for the cable series "Weeds". Name her.
Mary Louise Parker

> 5. Picture E. While Sally Field played Mary Todd Lincoln in
> "Lincoln", this actress played her in "Abraham Lincoln:
> Vampire Hunter". She also has 2/3 of the same name as one
> of our other answers. (That may be above or below, since
> I rearranged the questions.)
>
> 6. The guy in picture F was a child star in "The Bad News Bears"
> and "Breaking Away", and staged a comeback in recent years --
> including an Oscar nomination -- after resorting to delivering
> pizza for a living.
Jackie Earle Haley

> 7. Picture G. Just name him.
Phillip Seymour Hoffman

> 8. The Picture H actor starred in "Goon", the greatest hockey
> film this side of "Slap Shot", but he'll always be remembered
> as Stifler from "American Pie".
>
> 9. Picture I is one of the great character actors. One of his
> few starring roles was in the Coen Brothers' "Blood Simple".
> But his CV includes "Reds", "Blade Runner", "Silkwood",
> "Raising Arizona", and "The Pope of Greenwich Village".
> He's another guy who uses an initial. Name him.
Emmet M. Walsh

> 10. Picture J. Her films include "Scarface", "The Color of Money",
> "The Abyss", and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?
3 under par on a hole

> 2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.
bass fishing

> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?
Jai Alai

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.
A K Q J 10 of the same suit.

> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?
Canasta

> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?
mah jong

> 7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
> about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?
Appalachian Trail

2

> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?
4

Björn Lundin

Dec 29, 2014, 11:10:50 AM12/29/14
On 2014-12-29 05:11, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - When Two Names Aren't Enough
>

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?

3 below par. Never happened to me...

> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?

downhill skiing

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

Royal Imperial Straigth flush

10,Jack, Queen, King, Ace in hearts

> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?
mah-jong

> 9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?

2

> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?

4

Björn

Peter Smyth

Dec 29, 2014, 2:49:00 PM12/29/14
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?
3 under par
> 2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.
Angling
> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?
Fencing
> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.
Royal Flush
> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?
>
> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?
Mahjong
> 7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
> about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?
>
> 8. If you are toxophilic, what sport is your passion?
>
> 9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?
2
> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?
4

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 29, 2014, 3:11:58 PM12/29/14
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?

Three shots below par for the hole.

> 2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.

Casting.

> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?

Curling

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

Royal Straight Flush

> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?

Canasta

> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?

Mah-jong

> 7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
> about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?

Appalachian trail

> 9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?

Four

> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?

Four, two on each side.

Dan Tilque

Dec 30, 2014, 6:14:17 AM12/30/14
3 under par

> 2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.
>
> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?

curling

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

royal flush

> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?
>
> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?

mahjong

4

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Dec 30, 2014, 11:14:23 AM12/30/14
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ffydnXWTe4sSST3JnZ2dnUU7-
Vud...@vex.net:
John C Reilly

> 2. The woman in B has been a standout in films like "Miller's
> Crossing" and "The First Wives Club", and was nominated for a
> Supporting Actress Oscar for "Pollock".
>
> 3. The guy in photo C has had roles all the way back to "Cool
> Hand Luke". Our favorite film of his was "Repo Man", with
> "Paris, Texas" close behind.
>
> 4. The actress in picture D appeared in "Fried Green Tomatoes",
> "The West Wing", and "Angels in America". But she's best known
> for the cable series "Weeds". Name her.
>
> 5. Picture E. While Sally Field played Mary Todd Lincoln in
> "Lincoln", this actress played her in "Abraham Lincoln:
> Vampire Hunter". She also has 2/3 of the same name as one
> of our other answers. (That may be above or below, since
> I rearranged the questions.)
>
> 6. The guy in picture F was a child star in "The Bad News Bears"
> and "Breaking Away", and staged a comeback in recent years --
> including an Oscar nomination -- after resorting to delivering
> pizza for a living.
>
> 7. Picture G. Just name him.

Philip Seymour Hoffman

> 8. The Picture H actor starred in "Goon", the greatest hockey
> film this side of "Slap Shot", but he'll always be remembered
> as Stifler from "American Pie".
>
> 9. Picture I is one of the great character actors. One of his
> few starring roles was in the Coen Brothers' "Blood Simple".
> But his CV includes "Reds", "Blade Runner", "Silkwood",
> "Raising Arizona", and "The Pope of Greenwich Village".
> He's another guy who uses an initial. Name him.
>
> 10. Picture J. Her films include "Scarface", "The Color of Money",
> "The Abyss", and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany
>
> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?

Scoring 8 on a hole; Scoring 7 on a hole

> 2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.

Bass fishing

> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?

Ski jumping

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

Royal flush (A, K, Q, J, 10 of the same suit)

> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?

Canasta

> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?

Mah Jhong

> 7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
> about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?

Appalachian Trail

> 8. If you are toxophilic, what sport is your passion?
>
> 9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?

4

> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?

4 (2 on each side)

Pete

Dan Blum

Dec 30, 2014, 6:30:36 PM12/30/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - When Two Names Aren't Enough

> 1. The actor in picture A is best known for his roles alongside
> Will Ferrell, but he also stole scenes in "Chicago", "Gangs of
> New York", and "The Hours".

John C. Reilly

> 2. The woman in B has been a standout in films like "Miller's
> Crossing" and "The First Wives Club", and was nominated for a
> Supporting Actress Oscar for "Pollock".

Marcia Gay Harden

> 6. The guy in picture F was a child star in "The Bad News Bears"
> and "Breaking Away", and staged a comeback in recent years --
> including an Oscar nomination -- after resorting to delivering
> pizza for a living.

Jackie Earle Haley

> 7. Picture G. Just name him.

Philip Seymour Hoffman

> 10. Picture J. Her films include "Scarface", "The Color of Money",
> "The Abyss", and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany

> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?

hole in one; three under par

> 2. Le F?d?ration Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.

fly-fishing

> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?

fencing

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

royal straight flush (10 through ace of the same suit)

> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?

canasta

> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?

mah jong

> 7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
> about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?

Appalachian Trail

> 8. If you are toxophilic, what sport is your passion?

poisoning pigeons in the park

> 9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?

2

> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?

4

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Dec 31, 2014, 11:16:35 PM12/31/14
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-11-10,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 8, Round 7 - Entertainment - When Two Names Aren't Enough

> Sometimes actors and actresses need a little something extra to
> be noticed and remembered. In the case of these notable people,
> it's either a three-word name, or at least an initial in addition
> to a first and last name. Again, I've sorted the questions into
> picture order on the handout; and again, no decoys. Please see:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/8-7/3.pdf

> In each case, name the person. Note: In this round, you must
> answer with the *full name* (as usually used), not just the surname.

> 1. The actor in picture A is best known for his roles alongside
> Will Ferrell, but he also stole scenes in "Chicago", "Gangs of
> New York", and "The Hours".

John C. Reilly. 4 for Marc, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 2. The woman in B has been a standout in films like "Miller's
> Crossing" and "The First Wives Club", and was nominated for a
> Supporting Actress Oscar for "Pollock".

Marcia Gay Harden. 4 for Marc and Dan Blum.

> 3. The guy in photo C has had roles all the way back to "Cool
> Hand Luke". Our favorite film of his was "Repo Man", with
> "Paris, Texas" close behind.

Harry Dean Stanton. 4 for Marc.

> 4. The actress in picture D appeared in "Fried Green Tomatoes",
> "The West Wing", and "Angels in America". But she's best known
> for the cable series "Weeds". Name her.

Mary-Louise Parker. 4 for Marc.

> 5. Picture E. While Sally Field played Mary Todd Lincoln in
> "Lincoln", this actress played her in "Abraham Lincoln:
> Vampire Hunter". She also has 2/3 of the same name as one
> of our other answers. (That may be above or below, since
> I rearranged the questions.)

Mary Elizabeth Winstead.

> 6. The guy in picture F was a child star in "The Bad News Bears"
> and "Breaking Away", and staged a comeback in recent years --
> including an Oscar nomination -- after resorting to delivering
> pizza for a living.

Jackie Earle Haley. 4 for Marc and Dan Blum.

> 7. Picture G. Just name him.

Philip Seymour Hoffman. 4 for Marc, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 8. The Picture H actor starred in "Goon", the greatest hockey
> film this side of "Slap Shot", but he'll always be remembered
> as Stifler from "American Pie".

Seann William Scott.

> 9. Picture I is one of the great character actors. One of his
> few starring roles was in the Coen Brothers' "Blood Simple".
> But his CV includes "Reds", "Blade Runner", "Silkwood",
> "Raising Arizona", and "The Pope of Greenwich Village".
> He's another guy who uses an initial. Name him.

M. Emmet Walsh. 3 for Marc.

> 10. Picture J. Her films include "Scarface", "The Color of Money",
> "The Abyss", and "Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves".

Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio. 4 for Pete and Dan Blum.

> * Game 8, Round 8 - Sports and Leisure Miscellany

> 1. In golf, what is an albatross?

Scoring 3 under par (on a single hole). 4 for Marc, Björn, Peter,
Erland, and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Le Fédération Internationale de Peche Sportive Mouche is
> the international body for tournaments in which popular
> outdoor recreational sport? Be specific.

Fly fishing. "Mouche" is French for fly. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Which competitive sport takes place in a venue called a "salle"
> on an area called a "piste"?

Fencing. 4 for Peter and Dan Blum.

> 4. What is the best hand in a game of standard poker? Be specific.

Royal flush. I accepted "royal straight flush" or the definition,
A-K-Q-J-10 of any one suit, but nothing else. 4 for Marc, Peter,
Erland, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> Historical note: when poker was first invented, straights and flushes
> had no special value, so what we now call a royal flush was nothing
> much, just an ace-high hand (although at least it was one of the best
> possible ace-high hands). The highest hand then was four aces and,
> since wild cards and community cards also had not been invented,
> a player holding that hand knew for certain that it was the highest
> on the deal. Under the later rules, on the other hand, if you hold
> a royal flush then there's still a faint chance that another player
> has an equally good hand, i.e. a royal flush in a different suit,
> and, I've read, some players were displeased by this change.

> 5. Which card game takes its name from the Spanish word for basket?

Canasta. 4 for Marc, Erland, Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 6. Which tile game derives its name from the Chinese word for
> sparrow?

Mah jongg. 4 for everyone -- Marc, Björn, Peter, Erland, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Dan Blum.

> 7. "A Walk in the Woods" is a best-selling book by Bill Bryson
> about a hiking adventure on which popular hiking route?

The Appalachian Trail. 4 for Marc, Erland, Pete, and Dan Blum.

On the other hand, the similarly titled work quoted in my signature
(which was specially selected for this posting from the collection)
is a play about nuclear-disarmament talks.

> 8. If you are toxophilic, what sport is your passion?

Archery. Who knew?

> 9. How many blank tiles are there in a game of Scrabble?

2. 4 for Marc, Björn, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum.

> 10. How many players, in total, compete in an official beach
> volleyball match?

4 (2 on each side). 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST