Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

QFTCISG Game 1, Rounds 2-3: DJIA changes, dystopian lit

72 visualizações
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Mark Brader

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 02:32:1725/09/2017
para
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average

In 1895 the Dow Jones Industrial Average was created to track
major manufacturing companies and their combined stock prices.
In 1928 the list expanded to its current size of 30 companies, but
specific companies have come and gone over the years. These days
it has little to do with manufacturing. Answer these questions
about companies joining and leaving the list.

Commonly used shortened forms of company names will be accepted
in all cases, and we'll ignore suffixes like Inc. and Co.

1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
was shortened in 2005. Name it.

2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
the second time in its history?

4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
Name it.

5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
from the list?

6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
November 1999?

7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
full original name.

8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
Name the company that was on the index.

9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
and splits. What's its official company name now?

10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
What was that?

* Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias

A round inspired by the current history we are living through!

1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?

2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.

3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
novel by Philip K. Dick?

4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
"A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?

5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.

6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
thinking freely.

7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
"Fahrenheit 451"?

8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
word?

9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
Soylent Green made from?

10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

--
Mark Brader | "This is a moral that runs at large;
Toronto | Take it. -- You're welcome. -- No extra charge."

Dan Tilque

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 06:16:2925/09/2017
para
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average
>
> In 1895 the Dow Jones Industrial Average was created to track
> major manufacturing companies and their combined stock prices.
> In 1928 the list expanded to its current size of 30 companies, but
> specific companies have come and gone over the years. These days
> it has little to do with manufacturing. Answer these questions
> about companies joining and leaving the list.
>
> Commonly used shortened forms of company names will be accepted
> in all cases, and we'll ignore suffixes like Inc. and Co.
>
> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.

AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Hewlett-Packard

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

Chrysler

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

AIG

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Kodak

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

US Steel

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?

United Airlines

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Kraft

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?

The Tempest

> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.
>
> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?

teenager

> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.

MiniTrue

> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.

soma

> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

temperature that paper burns at

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?

of

> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?

humans

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

an officer who does not have an assignment to a ship and is awaiting one

--
Dan Tilque

Don Piven

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 07:43:1325/09/2017
para
AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Hewlett-Packard

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

Chrysler

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

AIG

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Kodak

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing (aka 3M)

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

US Steel

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?

United Airlines

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Kraft

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?
>
> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.

Player Piano

> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?

Teenager

> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.

Ministry of Truth

> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.

Soma

> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

The temperature at which paper catches fire.

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?
>
> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?

It's made from people!

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

Retired

Peter Smyth

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 09:26:0525/09/2017
para
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average
>
> In 1895 the Dow Jones Industrial Average was created to track
> major manufacturing companies and their combined stock prices.
> In 1928 the list expanded to its current size of 30 companies, but
> specific companies have come and gone over the years. These days
> it has little to do with manufacturing. Answer these questions
> about companies joining and leaving the list.
>
> Commonly used shortened forms of company names will be accepted
> in all cases, and we'll ignore suffixes like Inc. and Co.
>
> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.
Verizon
> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.
Hewlett-Packard
> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?
Ford, General Motors
> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.
Morgan Chase
> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?
Kodak
> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?
Sears
> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.
>
> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.
>
> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?
Boeing
> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?
Kraft

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?
The Tempest
> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.
Fahrenheit 421
> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?
> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?
>
> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.
Ministry of Peace
> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.
>
> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?
>
> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?
>
> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?
>
> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 10:20:3625/09/2017
para
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average

> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.

AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Hewlett Packard

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

General Motors; Ford

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

AIG

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Kodak; Xerox

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

3M

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

United Steel; Alcoa

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?

United Airlines

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Beatrice; Frito-Lay

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias

> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?

The Tempest

> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.

Cat's Cradle; Slaughterhouse Five

> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.

Ministry of Truth

> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.

soma

> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

the temperature at which paper spontaneously ignites

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?

of

> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?

people

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

on leave; AWOL

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 11:03:5825/09/2017
para
In article <xZSdnRidWspxP1XE...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average
>
> In 1895 the Dow Jones Industrial Average was created to track
> major manufacturing companies and their combined stock prices.
> In 1928 the list expanded to its current size of 30 companies, but
> specific companies have come and gone over the years. These days
> it has little to do with manufacturing. Answer these questions
> about companies joining and leaving the list.
>
> Commonly used shortened forms of company names will be accepted
> in all cases, and we'll ignore suffixes like Inc. and Co.
>
> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.
AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.
>
> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?
GM

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.
AIG

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?
Kodak

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?
Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.
Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing Company

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.
U.S. Steel

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?
>
> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?
>
> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.
>
> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep

> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?
>
> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.
Ministry of Truth

> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.
soma

> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?
combustion point of paper (although different papers must have different points)

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?
>
> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?
people

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?
aground?

---
http://www.avg.com

Bruce Bowler

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 15:47:2625/09/2017
para
AT&T?

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their PC
> and printer business, the other on software and services. Name the
> original company or either of the ones formed from it.

HP

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

Ford; Chrysler

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000 bailout
> from the US government and was dropped from the list. Name it.

AIG

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Kodak

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today. Either
> give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its full original
> name.

3m (and Minnesota Mining and Manufacturing)

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

US Steel

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions and splits.
> What's its official company name now?

Boeing

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Hormel?

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?
>
> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most factory
> workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.
>
> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?

Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and primarily
> used a form of Russian-influenced English for the language, along
> with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the Russian word "nadsat"
> translate into in English?
>
> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.
>
> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.
>
> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

It's the ignition point of paper

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples. To
> identify them with the commander who owns them, they must adopt the
> commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter word?
>
> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about the
> overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was Soylent
> Green made from?

"Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!"

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from a
> fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

When you're retired, you're on the beach

Jason Kreitzer

não lida,
25 de set. de 2017, 22:51:2425/09/2017
para
3M
> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.
>
> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?
>
> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?
>

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?
>
> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.
>
> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?
"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"
> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?
>
> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.
Ministry of Truth
> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.
"Soma"
> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?
The temperature at which books burn
> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?
>
> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?
"SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE!"

Joshua Kreitzer

não lida,
26 de set. de 2017, 02:40:0426/09/2017
para
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:xZSdnRidWspxP1XEnZ2dnUU7-
dHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average
>
> In 1895 the Dow Jones Industrial Average was created to track
> major manufacturing companies and their combined stock prices.
> In 1928 the list expanded to its current size of 30 companies, but
> specific companies have come and gone over the years. These days
> it has little to do with manufacturing. Answer these questions
> about companies joining and leaving the list.
>
> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.

AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Hewlett-Packard

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

General Motors

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

AIG

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Xerox

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

3M

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

U.S. Steel

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?

Boeing

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Kraft

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?

"The Tempest"

> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?"

> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.

Ministry of Truth

> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.

soma

> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

the temperature at which paper burns

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?

Of

> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?

people

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

não lida,
26 de set. de 2017, 14:24:1526/09/2017
para
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.

AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Compaq

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

General Motors

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

JP Morgan

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Kodak

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Walmart

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

3M

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

The temperature at which paper catches fires.

Pete Gayde

não lida,
26 de set. de 2017, 20:24:3826/09/2017
para
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:xZSdnRidWspxP1XEnZ2dnUU7-
dHN...@giganews.com:

AT&T

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Hewlett Packard

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

Chrysler

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

Lehman Brothers

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Kodak

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

Target

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

US Steel

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?

Boeing

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Nabisco

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias
>
> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!
>
> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?

The Tempest

> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.

Slaughterhouse Five

> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?
>
> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?
>
> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.
>
> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.
>
> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

Temperature at which paper burns

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?
>
> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?

People! Soylent Green is People!

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

Stranded

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

não lida,
28 de set. de 2017, 02:43:2828/09/2017
para
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,
> see my recent companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 2 - History - The Dow Jones Industrial Average

> In 1895 the Dow Jones Industrial Average was created to track
> major manufacturing companies and their combined stock prices.
> In 1928 the list expanded to its current size of 30 companies, but
> specific companies have come and gone over the years. These days
> it has little to do with manufacturing. Answer these questions
> about companies joining and leaving the list.

> Commonly used shortened forms of company names will be accepted
> in all cases, and we'll ignore suffixes like Inc. and Co.

> 1. The last change in the mix was in March 2015, when this major
> communications company was replaced by Apple. It had joined
> the index in March 1939 under a longer official name, which
> was shortened in 2005. Name it.

AT&T (American Telephone & Telegraph). 4 for Dan Tilque, Don,
Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Joshua, Erland, and Pete.

> 2. In March 1997, a well-known computer company joined the list,
> only to drop out in September 2013 as it was splitting into two
> different publicly traded companies, one concentrating on their
> PC and printer business, the other on software and services.
> Name the original company or either of the ones formed from it.

Hewlett-Packard, Hewlett Packard Enterprise, HP. 4 for Dan Tilque,
Don, Peter, Dan Blum, Bruce, Joshua, and Pete.

> 3. In June 2009, which car company was dropped from the list for
> the second time in its history?

General Motors (GM). 4 for Marc, Joshua, and Erland. 3 for Dan Blum.
2 for Peter.

> 4. In September 2008 this financial corporation, a central player
> in that year's financial crisis, received a $180,000,000,000
> bailout from the US government and was dropped from the list.
> Name it.

American International Group (AIG). 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Dan Blum,
Marc, Bruce, and Joshua.

> 5. In April 2008, which imaging manufacturing company was dropped
> from the list?

Eastman Kodak. (Accepting Kodak.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Peter,
Marc, Bruce, Erland, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. Which retail giant, founded in 1886, dropped off the list in
> November 1999?

Sears Roebuck. (Accepting Sears.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Peter,
Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Joshua, and Pete.

> 7. In August 1976 this company, whose name started with the
> word "Minnesota", joined the list. It remains there today.
> Either give the name it now goes by, or show off by giving its
> full original name.

3M, Minnesota Mining & Manufacturing. 4 for Dan Tilque*, Don*,
Dan Blum, Marc*, Bruce, Jason, Joshua, and Erland. The *'s indicate
those who successfully showed off.

> 8. This metals company headquartered in Pittsburgh dropped off
> the list in September 2013. In 2007 it had failed in a hostile
> takeover bid for its chief rival, which instead joined Rio Tinto.
> Name the company that was on the index.

Alcoa. (The rival was Alcan.) 2 for Dan Blum.

> 9. United Aircraft & Transport joined the index in June 1930.
> It remains on the index today after numerous acquisitions
> and splits. What's its official company name now?

United Technologies.

> 10. This multinational confectionery, food, and beverage company --
> headquartered in Northfield, Illinois -- dropped off in September
> 2012 after splitting into two companies. One was called Mondelez
> ["-LEEZ"] International; the other kept the original name.
> What was that?

Kraft Foods. (Accepting Kraft. Following a merger it's now Kraft
Heinz.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Peter, and Joshua.

> * Game 1, Round 3 - Literature - Dystopias

> A round inspired by the current history we are living through!

> 1. Aldous Huxley's title "Brave New World" derives from a speech
> by Miranda in which William Shakespeare play?

"The Tempest". 4 for Dan Tilque, Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Pete.

> 2. This Kurt Vonnegut book published in 1952 depicts a dystopia
> existing 10 years after a fictional World War III, where most
> factory workers have been replaced by machines. Name the novel.

"Player Piano". 4 for Don.

One entrant's guess of "Fahrenheit 421" was particularly interesting
in view of question #7.

> 3. The film "Blade Runner" is a loose adaptation of which 1968
> novel by Philip K. Dick?

"Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?". 4 for Dan Tilque, Don,
Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Jason, and Joshua.

> 4. Nadsat is the fictional speech register used in teenagers in
> "A Clockwork Orange". Anthony Burgess was a linguist and
> primarily used a form of Russian-influenced English for the
> language, along with Cockney rhyming slang. What does the
> Russian word "nadsat" translate into in English?

Teen. 4 for Dan Tilque and Don.

> 5. Name *any one* of the four government ministries in George
> Orwell's "Nineteen Eighty-Four". Answer in Oldspeak or Newspeak.

The Ministries of Truth, Love, Peace, and Plenty -- or Minitrue,
Miniluv, Minipax, and Miniplenty. 4 for Dan Tilque*, Don, Peter,
Dan Blum, Marc, Jason, and Joshua.

The * indicates who answered in Newspeak. This wasn't an option in
the original game, but I figured "Why not?"

> 6. Back to "Brave New World" now. Name the drug administered
> by the government in order to prevent people from speaking and
> thinking freely.

Soma. 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Dan Blum, Marc, Jason, and Joshua.

> 7. What is the significance of the title of Ray Bradbury's novel
> "Fahrenheit 451"?

It is (supposed to be) the temperature at which paper ignites.
4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Jason, Joshua, Erland,
and Pete.

> 8. In Margaret Atwood's "The Handmaid's Tale", handmaids are
> fertile women forced to bear children of barren elite couples.
> To identify them with the commander who owns them, they must
> adopt the commander's first name prefixed by which two-letter
> word?

"Of". (For example, "Offred".) 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum,
and Joshua.

> 9. The movie "Soylent Green" was loosely based on the 1968
> Harry Harrison book "Make Room! Make Room!", which was about
> the overpopulation of the Earth in 1999. Soylent is a food;
> the name refers to soy and lentils. In the movie, what was
> Soylent Green made from?

People. 4 for Dan Tilque, Don, Dan Blum, Marc, Bruce, Jason,
Joshua, and Pete.

Yes, I know, this was supposed to be a literature round. I didn't
write it!

> 10. "On the Beach" by Nevil Shute details the experiences of
> Australians as they await the arrival of deadly radiation from
> a fictional World War III fought in the Northern Hemisphere.
> The title is a Royal Navy expression meaning what?

Retired from service. 4 for Don and Bruce.

Did you notice that the odd-numbered questions in this round were
generally a great deal easier than the even-numbered ones? At the
original game, our opponents who got the even-numbered questions
certainly did!

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit
Dan Tilque 28 32 60
Don Piven 28 32 60
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 56
Dan Blum 28 28 56
Marc Dashevsky 24 20 44
Bruce Bowler 24 16 40
Peter Smyth 18 12 30
Pete Gayde 16 12 28
Jason Kreitzer 4 20 24
Erland Sommarskog 16 4 20

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Polly-ticks: Bloodsucking parasites that squawk
m...@vex.net | mindless slogans in place of thought. --Chris Vernell