QFTCIMM Current Events 1-2

Mark Brader

May 26, 2011, 11:47:20 AM5/26/11
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected
to give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting,
quote the questions and place your answer below each one.)
I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. For further
information see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions
from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me.

* Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events

1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
Name that town.

2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
riding accused her of?

3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
Name the program.

4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
according to Elections Canada?

6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
arrival. Which news service does she work for?

8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
anniversary of his flight. Name him.

* Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events

1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
stereotyping.

2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
referendum?

3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
denied the rumour?

4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.

8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?

9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
Canadian retail giant?

10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
$8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

--
Mark Brader | "...i will have hideous nightmares involving huge
Toronto | monsters in academic robes carrying long bloody
| Passage and Abridged." -- Helene Hanff

Peter Smyth

May 26, 2011, 1:57:38 PM5/26/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

>* Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
>1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbotabad

>2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?
>
>3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
> Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
> Name the program.
>
>4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Norway, Sweden

>5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

66.5%, 67.5%

>6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

have a quota for non-white players

>7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?

Reuters

>8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?
>
>9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Playstation Network

>10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Alan Shepherd

>* Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
>1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

Delta, United

>2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

Scottish National Party

>3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

Baltimore, Detroit

>4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

LA Lakers, Chicago Bulls

>5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

Justin Bieber

>6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

Celine Dion

>7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.
>
>8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?
>
>9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?
>
>10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

May 26, 2011, 2:11:50 PM5/26/11
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?

voting in a riding she doesn't live in

> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Sweden; Denmark

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

62; 56

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

lower winning margins

> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?

Reuters; AP

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Alan Shepard

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

Delta; US Airways

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

Nationalists

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

Detroit

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

Lakers; Pacers

> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

Celine Dion

> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?

HBC

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 26, 2011, 5:20:53 PM5/26/11
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbotabad

> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Finland

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

Decrease the number of players in the team that are of non-European
extraction.

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Gueronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Alan Goodard

> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

United

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

SNP, Scottish National Party

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

Sarah McLachlan

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

Calvin

May 26, 2011, 6:27:28 PM5/26/11
On Fri, 27 May 2011 01:47:20 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad (Abbott is Mrs calvin's maiden name so I've had a lot of fun
with this :-)

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?
>
> 3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
> Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
> Name the program.
>
> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Sweden, Norway

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

72, 73%

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

Fix games?

> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?
>
> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Big Chief Crazy Beard :-)

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Glenn, Shephard
IIRC there is no agreed definition as to where "space" begins.

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

LOL. American, United

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

Scottish Nationalist Party

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

New Orleans, Oakland

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

LA Lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.
>
> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

kd lang, Celine Dion
Tempted to answer Justin Beiber...

> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.
>
> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?
>
> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?
>
> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

--

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

May 26, 2011, 9:35:41 PM5/26/11
In article <EfGdnVWGWeaV60PQ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.
Abbottabad

> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Finland

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?
>
> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?
>
> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?

Al Jazeera

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony Playstation

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Alan Shepard

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

American Airlines

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?
>
> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?
>
> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

Los Angeles Lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.
>
> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?
>
> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.
>
> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?

Animal something

> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?
>
> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

swp

May 26, 2011, 10:12:53 PM5/26/11
On May 26, 11:47 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:
> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
>    the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
>    certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
>    Name that town.

abbottabad

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
>    newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
>    week.  What electoral offence have several citizens of her
>    riding accused her of?

lying on her resume

> 3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
>    Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
>    Name the program.

bixi

> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
>    The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
>    life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
>    indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom.  Afghanistan
>    came in last.  Canada was 20th.  Which country was first?

norway

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
>    voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
>    according to Elections Canada?

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
>    allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
>    agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

establish a percentage of non-white players

> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
>    Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
>    immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
>    arrival.  Which news service does she work for?

al jazeera

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
>    a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
>    name to refer to Osama Bin-laden.  What was the code name?

geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
>    security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
>    million users?  Name either the network or the parent company.

sony

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
>    least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
>    with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
>    anniversary of his flight.  Name him.

john glenn

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
>    his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
>    The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
>    stereotyping.

us air ; southwest airlines

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
>    the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
>    referendum?

tea party

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
>    change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
>    relocation to our burg.  Officials of which city vehemently
>    denied the rumour?

new orleans

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
>    round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
>    Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

la lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
>    turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

sarah maclauglin

> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
>    signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

shania twain

> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
>    scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
>    It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather.  Name it.

the abominator

> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?

animal kingdom

> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
>    includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
>    other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
>    Canadian retail giant?

sears ; kmart

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
>    $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

skype

swp

Joshua Kreitzer

May 27, 2011, 1:40:58 AM5/27/11
On May 26, 10:47 am, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
>    the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
>    certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
>    Name that town.

Abbottabad

> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
>    The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
>    life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
>    indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom.  Afghanistan
>    came in last.  Canada was 20th.  Which country was first?

Netherlands; Sweden

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
>    voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
>    according to Elections Canada?

63%; 64.5%

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
>    a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
>    name to refer to Osama Bin-laden.  What was the code name?

Geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
>    security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
>    million users?  Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
>    least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
>    with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
>    anniversary of his flight.  Name him.

Alan Shepard

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
>    his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
>    The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
>    stereotyping.

Delta; American

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
>    the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
>    referendum?

Scottish National Party

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
>    change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
>    relocation to our burg.  Officials of which city vehemently
>    denied the rumour?

Buffalo

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
>    round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
>    Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

Los Angeles Lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
>    turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

Suzanne Vega

> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
>    signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

Shania Twain

> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?

Animal Kingdom

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
>    $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 27, 2011, 7:09:45 AM5/27/11
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?
>
> 3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
> Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
> Name the program.
>
> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Denmark

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

72%

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?
>
> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?

Al Jazeera

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.
>
> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Alan Shephard

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.
>
> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

Scottish National Party

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

Charlotte

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

Los Angeles Lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.
>
> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

Celine Dion

> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.
>
> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?
>
> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?

Hudson's Bay Co

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

May 27, 2011, 11:25:03 PM5/27/11
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected
> to give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting,
> quote the questions and place your answer below each one.)
> I will reveal the correct answers in about 3 days. For further
> information see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me.
>

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abottabad

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?
>
> 3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
> Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
> Name the program.
>
> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Sweden; Norway

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

25; 26

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

Choose players based on race

> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?

Reuters

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Shephard

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

Southwest

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

Liberal Democrats

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

Jacksonville

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

Los Angeles Lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

Prince

> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

Celine Dion

> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.
>
> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?
>
> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?

Eaton

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

Pete

Jeffrey Turner

May 29, 2011, 12:19:00 AM5/29/11
On 5/26/2011 11:47 AM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abottabad

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?
>
> 3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
> Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
> Name the program.
>
> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Norway

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

76

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?
>
> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?
>
> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Geronimo

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.
>
> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Grissom

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.
>
> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?
>
> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

Buffalo

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

LA Lakers

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.
>
> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?
>
> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.
>
> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?

The one that came in second in the Preakness.

> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?
>
> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype

--Jeff

--
It is very easy for rich people to preach
the virtues of self-reliance to the poor.

Mark Brader

May 29, 2011, 12:55:21 PM5/29/11
Mark Brader:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further

> information see my 2011-05-23 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI5GNM, QFTCI11, QFTCIMM)".

> * Game 1 (2011-05-09), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. There is a lovely little town north of Islamabad, named for
> the British army major who founded it in 1853, a town where a
> certain Osama Bin Laden was living until his demise last week.
> Name that town.

Abbottabad. 4 for everyone -- Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin,
Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Jeff.

Major James Abbott even wrote a poem about how wonderful the place
was; "The Guardian" newspaper considers it one of the worst poems
ever written.

> 2. Already infamous as the NDP's so-called "Vegas" candidate,
> newly elected MP Ruth Ellen Brosseau ran into trouble this
> week. What electoral offence have several citizens of her
> riding accused her of?

Forging their names on her nomination papers.

> 3. Toronto rolled out its new bike-sharing program last week.
> Eventually there will be 1000 bikes at 80 stations.
> Name the program.

Bixi. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Save the Children published its Mothers Index last week.
> The index measures lengths of maternity leaves, women's
> life expectancy, maternal and child mortality, and and other
> indicators to reveal the best place to be a mom. Afghanistan
> came in last. Canada was 20th. Which country was first?

Norway. 4 for Stephen and Jeff. 3 for Peter. 2 for Calvin and Pete.

> 5. Within half a percentage point, what percentage of eligible
> voters actually voted in last Monday's federal election,
> according to Elections Canada?

61.4% (accepting 60.9%-61.9%). Nobody managed to hit that range,
so I accepted answers within double the leeway as "almost correct".
So, 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. French soccer, a.k.a. football, was rocked last week by
> allegations that its national team coach had made a secret
> agreement with other coaches and officials to do what?

Limit the number of players of African (and North-African) descent
in its training academies to 30%. I accepted any reference to racial
selection or quotas. 4 for Peter, Erland, Stephen, and Pete.

> 7. Vancouver journalist Dorothy Parvaz arrived in Damascus,
> Syria, last week to cover the protests there, and was
> immediately detained by the Syrian government upon her
> arrival. Which news service does she work for?

Al-Jazeera. 4 for Marc, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. The leader of the Apache tribe asked the U.S. president for
> a formal apology last week for the government's use of a code
> name to refer to Osama Bin-laden. What was the code name?

Geronimo. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Pete, and Jeff.

> 9. Which on-line gaming network was the target last week of a
> security breach that stole the private credit card data of 100
> million users? Name either the network or the parent company.

Sony PlayStation (either word was sufficient). 4 for Peter, Dan Blum,
Erland, Calvin, Marc, Stephen, Joshua, and Pete.

> 10. Well, Yuri Gagarin beat him into space by a month, but at
> least the first American in space was honoured posthumously
> with his own stamp last week to commemorate the 50th
> anniversary of his flight. Name him.

Alan Shepard. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
and Pete. 3 for Calvin. No bonus points to Dan Blum, Marc, and
Joshua for correct spelling.

One entrant noted that "there is no agreed definition as to where
'space' begins"; that's true, but Shepard reached an altitude of
187 km (116 miles) and nobody disputes that that should count
as space.

> * Game 2 (2011-05-16), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. A pilot for which US airline kicked two Muslim men off
> his plane because "some passengers might be uncomfortable"?
> The men were on their way to a conference on Muslim
> stereotyping.

Atlantic Southeast, affiliate of Delta (accepting either company).
3 for Peter, Dan Blum, and Joshua.

> 2. Which party won a majority in the Scottish parliament for
> the first time, a victory which could lead to a separation
> referendum?

Scottish National Party. 4 for Peter, Erland, Calvin, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 3. Doug Ford pissed off a city other than Toronto, for a
> change, when he suggested a certain NFL team would be ripe for
> relocation to our burg. Officials of which city vehemently
> denied the rumour?

New Orleans. 4 for Stephen. 3 for Calvin.

> 4. The defending NBA champions were eliminated in the second
> round of playoffs in 4 straight games by the Dallas Mavericks.
> Name the soon-to-be-ex champs.

Los Angeles Lakers (accepting the city or team name). 4 for Calvin,
Marc, Stephen, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Jeff. 3 for Peter
and Dan Blum.

> 5. Name the singer whose album "Fumbling Toward Ecstasy" was
> turned into a ballet debuted this week by Ballet Alberta.

Sarah McLachlan. 4 for Erland (who spelled it correctly) and Stephen
(who, capitalization aside, misspelled it the same way the question's
author did).

> 6. Which Canadian entertainment icon was in Toronto this week
> signing copies of her new book "From this Moment On"?

Shania Twain. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 7. This new 30-story thrill ride at Canada's Wonderland was
> scheduled to debut with the opening of the park this weekend.
> It has been delayed due to the lousy spring weather. Name it.

Windrider.

> 8. Which horse won the Kentucky Derby?

Animal Kingdom. 4 for Stephen and Joshua. No points for "Animal
something" or references to other races.

> 9. Forzani Group -- the Canadian retail sports chain which
> includes Athlete's World, Sportchek, and Nevada Bob's among
> other stores -- was purchased for $771 million by which
> Canadian retail giant?

Canadian Tire.

> 10. In another buyout this week, Microsoft is spending
> $8.5 billion to acquire which communications company?

Skype. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Erland, Calvin, Marc, Stephen, Joshua,
Pete, and Jeff.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 28 24 52
Joshua Kreitzer 16 23 39
Peter Smyth 19 14 33
Dan Blum 18 13 31
Pete Gayde 22 8 30
"Calvin" 13 15 28
Erland Sommarskog 16 12 28
Marc Dashevsky 20 8 28
Dan Tilque 16 8 24
Jeff Turner 12 8 20

--
Mark Brader | "I don't have to stay here to be insulted."
Toronto | "I realize that. You're insulted everywhere, I imagine."