QFTCIRS Game 5, Rounds 4,6: cigarettes and horrors

Mark Brader

Dec 8, 2019, 5:11:17 PM12/8/19
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-21,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Red Smarties and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

*****BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*****
***** REMOVE ANSWERS *****
***** REMOVE REFERENCES *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
***** CHECK 2 HANDOUT/URLs *****
**********************************

******BEFORE POSTING ANSWERS******
***** ADD ./mime IF 8859 *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
**********************************

* Game 5, Round 4 - Miscellaneous: Cigarette Ads Endorsed by Celebrities

Celebrity endorsements today range from water to adult diapers.
But they used to shill for cigarettes too. Please view the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-4/horrible.pdf

and in each case name the celebrity indicated.

I've rearranged the round in order of the handout. There were
two decoys, which are now in sequence with the others; identify
them if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. A.
2. B.
3. C.
4. D. Name the celebrity team.
5. E (decoy).
6. F.
7. G. Name the man.
8. H.
9. I.
10. J.
11. K.
12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

* Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies

Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit
too intense for squeamish entrants):

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf

And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each
still. Answers do not repeat.

Again, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout, and
there were two decoys, are now in sequence with the others, which
you may identify if you like for fun, but for no points.

1. A.
2. B.
3. C.
4. D (decoy).
5. E.
6. F.
7. G.
8. H (decoy).
9. I.
10. J.
11. K.
12. L.

--
Mark Brader "...we are now uniquely privileged to sit side by side
Toronto with the giants on whose shoulders we stand."

Calvin

Dec 8, 2019, 7:23:32 PM12/8/19
On Monday, December 9, 2019 at 8:11:17 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Miscellaneous: Cigarette Ads Endorsed by Celebrities
>
> Celebrity endorsements today range from water to adult diapers.
> But they used to shill for cigarettes too. Please view the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-4/horrible.pdf
>
> and in each case name the celebrity indicated.
>
> I've rearranged the round in order of the handout. There were
> two decoys, which are now in sequence with the others; identify
> them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A.

Reagan

> 2. B.

Louis

> 3. C.

Di Maggio

> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel and Hardy

> 5. E (decoy).

Gardner?

> 6. F.

Chamberlain?

> 7. G. Name the man.

Bogart

> 8. H.

Cole?

> 9. I.
> 10. J.
> 11. K.

Earhart

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Ball

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies
>
> Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit
> too intense for squeamish entrants):
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf
>
> And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each
> still. Answers do not repeat.
>
> Again, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout, and
> there were two decoys, are now in sequence with the others, which
> you may identify if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A.

The Sixth Sense

And I'm done.

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 8, 2019, 8:45:39 PM12/8/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Miscellaneous: Cigarette Ads Endorsed by
> Celebrities
>
> Celebrity endorsements today range from water to adult diapers.
> But they used to shill for cigarettes too. Please view the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-4/horrible.pdf
>
> and in each case name the celebrity indicated.
>
> 1. A.

Ronald Reagan

> 2. B.

Joe Louis

> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel & Hardy

> 5. E (decoy).

Bette Davis

> 7. G. Name the man.

Humphrey Bogart

> 8. H.

Hank Aaron

> 9. I.

Ed Sullivan

> 11. K.

Amelia Earhart

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Lucille Ball

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies
>
> Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit
> too intense for squeamish entrants):
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf
>
> And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each
> still. Answers do not repeat.
>
> 3. C.

"The Shining"

> 10. J.

"Get Out"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Dec 8, 2019, 10:35:03 PM12/8/19
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Miscellaneous: Cigarette Ads Endorsed by Celebrities

> 1. A.

Ronald Reagan

> 2. B.

Joe Louis

> 3. C.

Joe DiMaggio

> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel & Hardy

> 6. F.

Jesse Owens

> 7. G. Name the man.

Humphrey Bogart

> 8. H.

Hank Aaron

> 9. I.

Ed Sullivan

> 11. K.

Amelia Earhart

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Lucille Ball

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies

> 1. A.

The Shining; Carrie

> 2. B.

The Texas Chainsaw Massacre

> 10. J.

Get Out

> 11. K.

Halloween; Halloween II

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 9, 2019, 8:45:00 AM12/9/19
On 12/8/19 2:11 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Miscellaneous: Cigarette Ads Endorsed by Celebrities
>
> Celebrity endorsements today range from water to adult diapers.
> But they used to shill for cigarettes too. Please view the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-4/horrible.pdf
>
> and in each case name the celebrity indicated.
>
> I've rearranged the round in order of the handout. There were
> two decoys, which are now in sequence with the others; identify
> them if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A.

Ronald Reagan

> 2. B.

Joe Louis

> 3. C.
> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel and Hardy

> 5. E (decoy).
> 6. F.
> 7. G. Name the man.
> 8. H.

Willie Mays

> 9. I.

Orson Welles

> 10. J.

Shoemaker

> 11. K.

Amelia Earhart

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Lucille Ball (and Dezi Arnez)

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

Dec 9, 2019, 1:01:28 PM12/9/19
Ronald Reagan

> 2. B.
> 3. C.

Joltin' Joe DiMaggio

> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel and Hardy
> 5. E (decoy).
> 6. F.
> 7. G. Name the man.

Bogart?

> 8. H.
> 9. I.

Ed Sullivan

> 10. J.

Fred Astaire

> 11. K.

Amelia Earhart

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Lucille Ball

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies
>
> Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit too
> intense for squeamish entrants):
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf
>
> And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each still.
> Answers do not repeat.
>
> Again, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout, and there were
> two decoys, are now in sequence with the others, which you may identify
> if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A.
> 2. B.
> 3. C.
> 4. D (decoy).
> 5. E.
> 6. F.

The Exorcist

Jason Kreitzer

Dec 9, 2019, 9:12:27 PM12/9/19
Ronald Reagan
> 2. B.
> 3. C.
> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.
Laurel and Hardy
> 5. E (decoy).
> 6. F.
> 7. G. Name the man.
> 8. H.
> 9. I.
> 10. J.
> 11. K.
> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.
Lucille Ball

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies
>
> Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit
> too intense for squeamish entrants):
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf
>
> And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each
> still. Answers do not repeat.
>
> Again, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout, and
> there were two decoys, are now in sequence with the others, which
> you may identify if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A.
> 2. B.
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre (1974)
> 3. C.
> 4. D (decoy).
> 5. E.
Dawn of the Dead (1978)
> 6. F.
The Exorcist
> 7. G.
> 8. H (decoy).
> 9. I.
Friday The 13th (1980)
> 10. J.
Get Out
> 11. K.
Halloween (1978)

Pete Gayde

Dec 11, 2019, 4:16:50 PM12/11/19
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:KqKdnZj8ntWd6HDAnZ2dnUU7-
KnN...@giganews.com:
Ronald Reagan

> 2. B.

Joe Louis

> 3. C.

Joe DiMaggio

> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel and Hardy

> 5. E (decoy).

Joan Crawford

> 6. F.

Jesse Owens

> 7. G. Name the man.

Humphrey Bogart

> 8. H.

Hank Aaron

> 9. I.

Ed Sullivan

> 10. J.

Bing Crosby

> 11. K.

Lindbergh

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Lucille Ball

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies
>
> Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit
> too intense for squeamish entrants):
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf
>
> And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each
> still. Answers do not repeat.
>
> Again, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout, and
> there were two decoys, are now in sequence with the others, which
> you may identify if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 1. A.
> 2. B.
> 3. C.
> 4. D (decoy).
> 5. E.
> 6. F.
> 7. G.
> 8. H (decoy).
> 9. I.
> 10. J.

Get Out

> 11. K.

Texas Chainsaw Massacre

> 12. L.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 11, 2019, 7:17:12 PM12/11/19
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2019-10-21,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> *****BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*****
> ***** REMOVE ANSWERS *****

Ah, sorry about the clutter there.

And I missed a chance, too: in the subject line, I should have
inserted the word "other" after "and". Oh well.

> * Game 5, Round 4 - Miscellaneous: Cigarette Ads Endorsed by Celebrities

> Celebrity endorsements today range from water to adult diapers.
> But they used to shill for cigarettes too. Please view the handout:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-4/horrible.pdf

> and in each case name the celebrity indicated.

This was the easiest round in the original game, and if audio and
current-events rounds are ignored, it was the 5th-easiest of the
entire season.

> I've rearranged the round in order of the handout. There were
> two decoys, which are now in sequence with the others; identify
> them if you like for fun, but for no points.

> 1. A.

Ronald Reagan. (With a tobacco-grower.) 4 for everyone -- Calvin,
Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Bruce, (welcome back!) Jason, and Pete.

> 2. B.

Joe Louis. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 3. C.

Joe Di Maggio. 4 for Calvin, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> 4. D. Name the celebrity team.

Laurel and Hardy. 4 for everyone.

> 5. E (decoy).

Joan Crawford. (Again, with a tobacco-grower.) Pete got this.

> 6. F.

Jesse Owens. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 7. G. Name the man.

Humphrey Bogart. (With Lauren Bacall.) 4 for Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> 8. H.

Hank Aaron. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. I.

Ed Sullivan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. J.

Bing Crosby. 4 for Pete.

> 11. K.

Amelia Earhart. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Bruce.

> 12. L (decoy). Name the woman.

Lucille Ball. (With Desi Arnaz.) Everyone got this.

> * Game 5, Round 6 - Entertainment - Horror Movies

> Again, please see the handout (which may, as they say, be a bit
> too intense for squeamish entrants):

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/5-6/horror.pdf

> And this time identify the movie (not the series) shown in each
> still. Answers do not repeat.

> Again, I've rearranged the round in order of the handout, and
> there were two decoys, are now in sequence with the others, which
> you may identify if you like for fun, but for no points.

Jason included dates with each of his answers, thus providing himself
with an opportunity to go wrong in case of movies that were remade.
However, I do not have sufficient knowledge of the subject to be able
to check the dates, so I ignored them.

> 1. A.

"Hereditary".

> 2. B.

"Texas Chain Saw Massacre". 4 for Dan Blum and Jason.

> 3. C.

"The Shining". 4 for Joshua.

> 4. D (decoy).

"Zombie".

> 5. E.

"Dawn of the Dead". 4 for Jason.

> 6. F.

"The Exorcist". 4 for Bruce and Jason.

> 7. G.

"A Nightmare on Elm Street".

> 8. H (decoy).

"Babadook".

> 9. I.

"Friday the 13th". 4 for Jason.

> 10. J.

"Get Out". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Jason, and Pete.

> 11. K.

"Halloween". 4 for Jason. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 12. L.

"Hellraiser".

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Geo Can Mis Ent
Dan Blum 27 3 36 11 77
Bruce Bowler 36 0 24 4 64
Pete Gayde 16 3 36 4 59
Joshua Kreitzer 12 0 28 8 48
Dan Tilque 24 8 16 0 48
"Calvin" 14 0 24 0 38
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 8 24 32
Erland Sommarskog 8 0 -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader | "My mind is like a steel trap; it snaps closed
Toronto | and is almost impossible to pry open"