QFTCIBP Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

Mark Brader

Jun 25, 2018, 5:50:24 AM6/25/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-04-03,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

* Famous Last Words of Female Writers

We give you the year of death and some description of a female
writer, along with her last words as reported (and this time they
were all in English). You name the writer.

1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
"I must go in, the fog is rising."

2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
separate us, we have been so happy."

3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."

* Famous Last Words of Male Writers

Same thing, only these writers were male.

4. His wartime service and his career as a journalist provided
much of the background, detail, and depth of his famous novels.
Died 1964, apologizing to the medics: "I am sorry to trouble
you chaps. I don't know how you get along so fast with the
traffic on the road these days."

5. As a member of the British Army, he gained fame as a war
correspondent and wrote books about his campaigns. Died 1965:
"I'm bored with it all."

6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
need them any longer."

* Cats

7. Which writer's pet cat was named Catarina? She was the
inspiration for his story "The Black Cat".

8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
"The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
Owl and the Pussycat".

* Pop Art

Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.

10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg
11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/11.jpg
12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/12.jpg

* Jim Carrey Art

Name the people *depicted* in each of these works by Jim Carrey.

13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/13.jpg
14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/14.jpg
15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/15.jpg

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
tnir Oebagė (be Oebagr) sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl
gur svefg anzr.

--
Mark Brader | "One must scythe the thickets of metaphor
Toronto | if one wishes to harvest the grain of reason."

Dan Blum

Jun 25, 2018, 10:01:30 AM6/25/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Famous Last Words of Female Writers

> 1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
> 1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
> "I must go in, the fog is rising."

Emily Dickinson

> 2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
> of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
> separate us, we have been so happy."

Charlotte Bronte

> 3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."

Jane Austen

> * Famous Last Words of Male Writers

> 6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
> and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
> need them any longer."

Charles Dodgson

> * Cats

> 8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
> immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

T. S. Eliot

> 9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
> the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
> "The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
> Owl and the Pussycat".

Edward Lear

> * Pop Art

> Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg

Keith Haring

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/11.jpg

Roy Liechtenstein

> * Jim Carrey Art

> Name the people *depicted* in each of these works by Jim Carrey.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/13.jpg

Jared Kushner

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/14.jpg

Sarah Huckabee Sanders

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/15.jpg

Paul Manafort

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2018, 12:15:47 AM6/26/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:dZydnbaXMcdGJ63GnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Famous Last Words of Female Writers
>
> We give you the year of death and some description of a female
> writer, along with her last words as reported (and this time they
> were all in English). You name the writer.
>
> 1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
> 1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
> "I must go in, the fog is rising."

Emily Dickinson

> 2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
> of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
> separate us, we have been so happy."

Elizabeth Barrett Browning (?)

> 3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."

Jane Austen (?)

> * Famous Last Words of Male Writers
>
> Same thing, only these writers were male.
>
> 6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
> and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
> need them any longer."

Lewis Carroll

> * Cats
>
> 7. Which writer's pet cat was named Catarina? She was the
> inspiration for his story "The Black Cat".

Poe

> 8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
> immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

Eliot

> 9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
> the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
> "The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
> Owl and the Pussycat".

Lear

> * Pop Art
>
> Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg

Roy Lichtenstein

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2018, 6:25:48 PM6/26/18
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 5:50:24 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-04-03,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Famous Last Words of Female Writers
>
> We give you the year of death and some description of a female
> writer, along with her last words as reported (and this time they
> were all in English). You name the writer.
>
> 1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
> 1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
> "I must go in, the fog is rising."
Emily Dickinson
> 2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
> of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
> separate us, we have been so happy."
>
> 3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."
>

> * Famous Last Words of Male Writers
>
> Same thing, only these writers were male.
>
> 4. His wartime service and his career as a journalist provided
> much of the background, detail, and depth of his famous novels.
> Died 1964, apologizing to the medics: "I am sorry to trouble
> you chaps. I don't know how you get along so fast with the
> traffic on the road these days."
>
> 5. As a member of the British Army, he gained fame as a war
> correspondent and wrote books about his campaigns. Died 1965:
> "I'm bored with it all."
>
> 6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
> and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
> need them any longer."
>

> * Cats
>
> 7. Which writer's pet cat was named Catarina? She was the
> inspiration for his story "The Black Cat".
Poe
> 8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
> immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".
Eliot
> 9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
> the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
> "The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
> Owl and the Pussycat".
>

> * Pop Art
>
> Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg
Keith Haring?
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/11.jpg
Rauschenberg?

Pete Gayde

Jun 26, 2018, 6:45:14 PM6/26/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:dZydnbaXMcdGJ63GnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

Oscar Wilde

> * Cats
>
> 7. Which writer's pet cat was named Catarina? She was the
> inspiration for his story "The Black Cat".
>
> 8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
> immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

Eliot

> 9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
> the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
> "The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
> Owl and the Pussycat".
>

> * Pop Art
>
> Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg
> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/11.jpg
> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/12.jpg
>

> * Jim Carrey Art
>
> Name the people *depicted* in each of these works by Jim Carrey.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/13.jpg

Marco Rubio

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> tnir Oebagė (be Oebagr) sbe nal nafjre, cyrnfr tb onpx naq fhccyl
> gur svefg anzr.

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jun 26, 2018, 8:43:38 PM6/26/18
On Monday, June 25, 2018 at 7:50:24 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Famous Last Words of Female Writers
>
> We give you the year of death and some description of a female
> writer, along with her last words as reported (and this time they
> were all in English). You name the writer.
>
> 1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
> 1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
> "I must go in, the fog is rising."

Dickenson

> 2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
> of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
> separate us, we have been so happy."

Browning

> 3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."

Austen

> * Famous Last Words of Male Writers
>
> Same thing, only these writers were male.
>
> 4. His wartime service and his career as a journalist provided
> much of the background, detail, and depth of his famous novels.
> Died 1964, apologizing to the medics: "I am sorry to trouble
> you chaps. I don't know how you get along so fast with the
> traffic on the road these days."

Waugh

> 5. As a member of the British Army, he gained fame as a war
> correspondent and wrote books about his campaigns. Died 1965:
> "I'm bored with it all."

Churchill

> 6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
> and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
> need them any longer."

Carroll, Lear

> * Cats
>
> 7. Which writer's pet cat was named Catarina? She was the
> inspiration for his story "The Black Cat".
>
> 8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
> immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

Eliott

> 9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
> the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
> "The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
> Owl and the Pussycat".

Lear

> * Pop Art
>
> Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.
>
> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg

Koons, Hirst

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/11.jpg

Leichtenstein

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/12.jpg

Koons, Hirst

> * Jim Carrey Art
>
> Name the people *depicted* in each of these works by Jim Carrey.
>
> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/13.jpg
> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/14.jpg
> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/15.jpg

Nope.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Jun 27, 2018, 7:49:17 PM6/27/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Famous Last Words of Female Writers
>
> We give you the year of death and some description of a female
> writer, along with her last words as reported (and this time they
> were all in English). You name the writer.
>
> 1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
> 1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
> "I must go in, the fog is rising."
>
> 2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
> of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
> separate us, we have been so happy."
>
> 3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."

Emily Dickinson

> * Famous Last Words of Male Writers
>
> Same thing, only these writers were male.
>
> 4. His wartime service and his career as a journalist provided
> much of the background, detail, and depth of his famous novels.
> Died 1964, apologizing to the medics: "I am sorry to trouble
> you chaps. I don't know how you get along so fast with the
> traffic on the road these days."

Joseph Heller

> 5. As a member of the British Army, he gained fame as a war
> correspondent and wrote books about his campaigns. Died 1965:
> "I'm bored with it all."
>
> 6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
> and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
> need them any longer."

Lewis Carroll

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2018, 3:04:03 AM6/28/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-04-03,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Famous Last Words of Female Writers

> We give you the year of death and some description of a female
> writer, along with her last words as reported (and this time they
> were all in English). You name the writer.

> 1. This American poet was known as reclusive and few of her nearly
> 1,800 poems were published in her lifetime. She died in 1886:
> "I must go in, the fog is rising."

Emily Dickinson. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, and Calvin.

> 2. English novelist and poet, died 1855, speaking to her husband
> of 9 months: "Oh, I am not going to die, am I? He will not
> separate us, we have been so happy."

Charlotte Brontė (both names required). 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. English writer, died 1817: "I want nothing but death."

Jane Austen. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> * Famous Last Words of Male Writers

> Same thing, only these writers were male.

> 4. His wartime service and his career as a journalist provided
> much of the background, detail, and depth of his famous novels.
> Died 1964, apologizing to the medics: "I am sorry to trouble
> you chaps. I don't know how you get along so fast with the
> traffic on the road these days."

Ian Fleming.

> 5. As a member of the British Army, he gained fame as a war
> correspondent and wrote books about his campaigns. Died 1965:
> "I'm bored with it all."

Sir Winston Churchill. 4 for Calvin.

> 6. English writer noted for his facility at wordplay, logic,
> and fantasy. Died 1898: "Take away these pillows, I won't
> need them any longer."

Lewis Carroll (or his real name, as mentioned in the previous
game: Charles Dodgson). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Calvin.

> * Cats

> 7. Which writer's pet cat was named Catarina? She was the
> inspiration for his story "The Black Cat".

Edgar Allan Poe. 4 for Joshua and Jason.

> 8. Which writer's pet cat was named Jellylorum? The cat was
> immortalized in "Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats".

T.S. Eliot. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Jason, Pete, and Calvin.

> 9. Which author and illustrator's pet cat was named Foss? It was
> the subject of many drawings, some of which were published in
> "The Heraldic Blazon of Foss the Cat". It also inspired "The
> Owl and the Pussycat".

Edward Lear. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Calvin.

> * Pop Art

> Name the artist who created each of these works of pop art.

> 10. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/10.jpg

Keith Haring. (Untitled, 1986.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Jason.

> 11. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/11.jpg

Roy Lichtenstein. ("Masterpiece", 1962.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
and Calvin.

> 12. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/pop/12.jpg

Claes Oldenburg. ("Floor Burger", 1962.)

> * Jim Carrey Art

> Name the people *depicted* in each of these works by Jim Carrey.

> 13. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/13.jpg

Jared Kushner. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 14. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/14.jpg

Sarah Sanders. 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 15. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-3/jim/15.jpg

Marco Rubio. 4 for Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His A&L
Dan Blum 36 40 76
Joshua Kreitzer 40 32 72
"Calvin" 32 27 59
Dan Tilque 32 4 36
Pete Gayde 20 16 36
Peter Smyth 36 -- 36
Jason Kreitzer 16 16 32
Erland Sommarskog 24 -- 24

--
Mark Brader | "What a strange field. Studying beings instead of mathematics.
Toronto | Could lead to recursive problems in logic."