QFTCI5GNM15 Current Events 1-2

Mark Brader

Apr 28, 2015, 3:05:26 AM4/28/15
This year Five Guys Named Moe, who are organizing what would
usually be the May-August or May-July season of the Canadian
Inquisition, decided to start it early so that it could be all
finished before the Pan Am Games take over the city. So we're
now two games into the season, and I'm ready to start posting
current-events rounds from it.

As usual, I'll post current-events rounds every two games through
the season, concurrently with the posting of other rounds from the
previous or current season, and all the current-events rounds from
the season will be scored as a single continuing game.

These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Mow, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
team name required.

2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
calling home.

3. Some say the announcement that beer will be available in Ontario
grocery stores was a way of focusing attention away from Kathleen
Wynne's plan to sell assets to fund infrastructure projects.
The province plans to sell 60% of what utility?

4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?

5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
Station this week. What present did she receive from her
government?

6. What better way to get over a national basketball championship
game loss than attempting a Guinness World record? Name the
11,000-pound tasty treat which University of Wisconsin students
constructed in hopes of getting into the record books.

7. It was a kiss that quickly went viral. Who laid a prolonged
smooch on Toronto-born rapper Drake at the Coachella Music
Festival? Video captured his disgust, but he claims he simply
didn't like the taste of her lipstick. Oh sure.

8. This son of a former Toronto mayor died unexpectedly of a
brain aneurysm at age 48. He is best known to fans of the CBC
"Anne of Green Gables" shows as Gilbert Blythe, Anne's boyfriend
and eventual husband. Name the actor.

9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.

10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
Forces personnel... to which country?

* Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.

2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?

3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
campaign?

5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
use is legal.

6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?

7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
I am a woman."

9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
more than 3,200?

10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
Both city and team name are required.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
m...@vex.net make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein

bbowler

Apr 28, 2015, 9:52:14 AM4/28/15
> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space Station
> this week. What present did she receive from her government?

A cappuccino machine

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational use is
> legal.

Willy Nelson?

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?

Gretsky?

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

Iceland

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes I
> am a woman."

Bruce Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to more
> than 3,200?

Nepal

Dan Blum

Apr 28, 2015, 10:06:41 AM4/28/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
> Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
> team name required.

New York Mets; New York Yankees

> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.

Sabres; Blue Jackets

> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?

Mexico; USA

> 6. What better way to get over a national basketball championship
> game loss than attempting a Guinness World record? Name the
> 11,000-pound tasty treat which University of Wisconsin students
> constructed in hopes of getting into the record books.

pretzel; doughnut

> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.

Cameron; Hollande

> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?

Iraq; Afghanistan

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?

Ford; GM

> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

Morsi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.

Willie Nelson

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?

Gretzky

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

Sweden

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

Nepal

> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.

Los Angeles Lakers

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 28, 2015, 10:40:48 AM4/28/15
In article <fZOdnepYSeuorKLI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.
Abe

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.
>
> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?
>
> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.
Morsi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?
Gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.
Willie Nelson

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?
>
> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.
Denmark

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."
Bruce Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?
Nepal

> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.

Peter Smyth

Apr 28, 2015, 1:21:56 PM4/28/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
> Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
> team name required.
New York Yankees, Boston Red Sox
> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.
>
> 3. Some say the announcement that beer will be available in Ontario
> grocery stores was a way of focusing attention away from Kathleen
> Wynne's plan to sell assets to fund infrastructure projects.
> The province plans to sell 60% of what utility?
>
> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?
>
> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
> Station this week. What present did she receive from her
> government?
Pizza
> 6. What better way to get over a national basketball championship
> game loss than attempting a Guinness World record? Name the
> 11,000-pound tasty treat which University of Wisconsin students
> constructed in hopes of getting into the record books.
Pizza
> 7. It was a kiss that quickly went viral. Who laid a prolonged
> smooch on Toronto-born rapper Drake at the Coachella Music
> Festival? Video captured his disgust, but he claims he simply
> didn't like the taste of her lipstick. Oh sure.
>
> 8. This son of a former Toronto mayor died unexpectedly of a
> brain aneurysm at age 48. He is best known to fans of the CBC
> "Anne of Green Gables" shows as Gilbert Blythe, Anne's boyfriend
> and eventual husband. Name the actor.
Ford
> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.
>
> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?
>

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.
>
> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?
>
> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.
Assad
> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?
Gallipoli
> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.
>
> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?
Gretzky, Howe
> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name any of the top 4.
New Zealand, Norway
> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."
Bruce Jenner
> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?
Nepal
> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.
Golden State Warriors, Chicago Bulls

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 28, 2015, 3:21:39 PM4/28/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events
> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.

Buffalo

> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.

Modi

> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?

Mali

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

Mursi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Genocide of Armenians

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

Denmark

(I recall that a couple of years ago that Colombia ranked #3. I don't
know if they still are in the top, but given the troublesome situation,
that surprised me a lot.)

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

Bruce Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

Nepal

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 28, 2015, 10:10:28 PM4/28/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fZOdnepYSeuorKLInZ2dnUU7-
U2d...@vex.net:

> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
> Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
> team name required.

New York Yankees; Cleveland Indians

> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?

Mexico

> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
> Station this week. What present did she receive from her
> government?

Nutella

> 7. It was a kiss that quickly went viral. Who laid a prolonged
> smooch on Toronto-born rapper Drake at the Coachella Music
> Festival? Video captured his disgust, but he claims he simply
> didn't like the taste of her lipstick. Oh sure.

Madonna

> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?

Iraq

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

Morsi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.

Willie Nelson

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

Switzerland; Luxembourg

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

Bruce Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

Nepal

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Apr 28, 2015, 10:14:12 PM4/28/15
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 3:05:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> This year Five Guys Named Moe, who are organizing what would
> usually be the May-August or May-July season of the Canadian
> Inquisition, decided to start it early so that it could be all
> finished before the Pan Am Games take over the city. So we're
> now two games into the season, and I'm ready to start posting
> current-events rounds from it.

huzzah!

> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
> Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
> team name required.

tampa bay rays

> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.

edmonton oilers

> 3. Some say the announcement that beer will be available in Ontario
> grocery stores was a way of focusing attention away from Kathleen
> Wynne's plan to sell assets to fund infrastructure projects.
> The province plans to sell 60% of what utility?

hydro one

> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?

mexico (thanks nafta!)

> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
> Station this week. What present did she receive from her
> government?

a star trek uniform

> 6. What better way to get over a national basketball championship
> game loss than attempting a Guinness World record? Name the
> 11,000-pound tasty treat which University of Wisconsin students
> constructed in hopes of getting into the record books.

rice krispy treat (the twinkie quote from ghost busters applies here.)

> 7. It was a kiss that quickly went viral. Who laid a prolonged
> smooch on Toronto-born rapper Drake at the Coachella Music
> Festival? Video captured his disgust, but he claims he simply
> didn't like the taste of her lipstick. Oh sure.

madonna

> 8. This son of a former Toronto mayor died unexpectedly of a
> brain aneurysm at age 48. He is best known to fans of the CBC
> "Anne of Green Gables" shows as Gilbert Blythe, Anne's boyfriend
> and eventual husband. Name the actor.

crombie?

> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.

modi

> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?

ukraine

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.

mark brader ("there's a new sheriff in town..")

> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?

volkswagon

> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

morsi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.

willie nelson

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?

wayne gretzky

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

switzerland ; denmark (norway is probably up there too)

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

bruce jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

nepal

> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.

washington wizards

swp

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 29, 2015, 8:58:29 PM4/29/15
On Tuesday, April 28, 2015 at 3:05:26 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
Madonna
> 8. This son of a former Toronto mayor died unexpectedly of a
> brain aneurysm at age 48. He is best known to fans of the CBC
> "Anne of Green Gables" shows as Gilbert Blythe, Anne's boyfriend
> and eventual husband. Name the actor.
>
> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.
>
> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?
>

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.
>
> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?
>
> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.
>
> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?
Gallipoli?
> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.
Willie Nelson
> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?
>
> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.
>
> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."
Bruce Jenner
> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?
Nepal

Dan Tilque

Apr 30, 2015, 2:49:28 AM4/30/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
> Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
> team name required.
>
> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.
>
> 3. Some say the announcement that beer will be available in Ontario
> grocery stores was a way of focusing attention away from Kathleen
> Wynne's plan to sell assets to fund infrastructure projects.
> The province plans to sell 60% of what utility?

Ontario Hydro

> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?
>
> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
> Station this week. What present did she receive from her
> government?

espresso maker
Morsi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.

John Denver

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?

Gretzky

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

Sweden

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

Bruce Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

Nepal

> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Apr 30, 2015, 7:10:43 PM4/30/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:fZOdnepYSeuorKLInZ2dnUU7-
U2d...@vex.net:

Boston Red Sox

> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.

Edmonton Oilers

> 3. Some say the announcement that beer will be available in Ontario
> grocery stores was a way of focusing attention away from Kathleen
> Wynne's plan to sell assets to fund infrastructure projects.
> The province plans to sell 60% of what utility?
>
> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?

Mexico

> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
> Station this week. What present did she receive from her
> government?
>
> 6. What better way to get over a national basketball championship
> game loss than attempting a Guinness World record? Name the
> 11,000-pound tasty treat which University of Wisconsin students
> constructed in hopes of getting into the record books.
>
> 7. It was a kiss that quickly went viral. Who laid a prolonged
> smooch on Toronto-born rapper Drake at the Coachella Music
> Festival? Video captured his disgust, but he claims he simply
> didn't like the taste of her lipstick. Oh sure.

Madonna

> 8. This son of a former Toronto mayor died unexpectedly of a
> brain aneurysm at age 48. He is best known to fans of the CBC
> "Anne of Green Gables" shows as Gilbert Blythe, Anne's boyfriend
> and eventual husband. Name the actor.
>
> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.
>
> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?

Iraq

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.
>
> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?
>
> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

Morsi

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Gallipoli

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.

Willie Nelson

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?
>
> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

Sweden

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

Bruce Jenner

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

Nepal

> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.

Atlanta Hawks

Pete

Mark Brader

May 1, 2015, 1:43:42 AM5/1/15
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1 (2015-04-20), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Baseball is back in town! What team did the Toronto Blue
> Jays play (and lose to) in their home opener? Both city and
> team name required.

Tampa Bay Rays. 4 for Stephen.

> 2. This team's luck has been uncanny -- they've had the first pick
> in the NHL draft lottery for the fourth time since 2010.
> Name the city and team which Connor McDavid will probably be
> calling home.

Edmonton Oilers. 4 for Stephen and Pete.

> 3. Some say the announcement that beer will be available in Ontario
> grocery stores was a way of focusing attention away from Kathleen
> Wynne's plan to sell assets to fund infrastructure projects.
> The province plans to sell 60% of what utility?

Hydro One. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. It was announced this week that, in 2019, production of the
> Toyota Corolla will be moved from Cambridge, Ontario.
> Which country will be the new home of the Corolla?

Mexico. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 5. Italian astronaut Samantha Cristoforetti eagerly anticipated the
> arrival of the SpaceX supply ship at the International Space
> Station this week. What present did she receive from her
> government?

An espresso machine (any reference to coffee was sufficient).
4 for Bruce and Dan Tilque.

> 6. What better way to get over a national basketball championship
> game loss than attempting a Guinness World record? Name the
> 11,000-pound tasty treat which University of Wisconsin students
> constructed in hopes of getting into the record books.

Rice Krispies treat. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. It was a kiss that quickly went viral. Who laid a prolonged
> smooch on Toronto-born rapper Drake at the Coachella Music
> Festival? Video captured his disgust, but he claims he simply
> didn't like the taste of her lipstick. Oh sure.

Madonna. 4 for Joshua, Stephen, Jason, and Pete.

> 8. This son of a former Toronto mayor died unexpectedly of a
> brain aneurysm at age 48. He is best known to fans of the CBC
> "Anne of Green Gables" shows as Gilbert Blythe, Anne's boyfriend
> and eventual husband. Name the actor.

Jonathan Crombie. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. This prime minister received a rock-star welcome during his
> 3-day visit to Canada. Name this world leader who returned
> home with the "Parrot Lady" statue, which mysteriously turned
> up in Canada after being stolen from his own country.

Narendra Modi. (India.) 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 10. The glow of <answer 9>'s visit couldn't deflect the criticism
> of Stephen Harper's plan to send 200 non-combat Canadian Armed
> Forces personnel... to which country?

Ukraine. 4 for Stephen.

> * Game 2 (2015-04-27), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Toronto has a new police chief. Name him.

Mark Saunders. No points for "Mark Brader"!

> 2. The private-sector union Unifor has denounced a decision by
> Export Development Canada to loan $526,000,000 to *what
> automaker*, which has no manufacturing presence in Canada,
> and this without any guarantee of Canadian jobs?

Volkswagen. 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Name the former Egyptian president who was sentenced to 20 years
> in prison on charges linked to the killing of protesters in 2012.

Mohammed Morsi. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Joshua, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Ceremonies were held in Australia, New Zealand, the UK, and
> Turkey to mark the 100th anniversary of what bloody World War I
> campaign?

Gallipoli (also accepting Dardanelles or Çanakkale). 4 for Bruce,
Dan Blum, Marc, Peter, Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

> 5. Name the music legend who plans to roll out his own brand of
> marijuana in Washington and Colorado, where its recreational
> use is legal.

Willie Nelson. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Stephen, Jason,
and Pete.

> 6. Sears Canada Inc. announced it is partnering with *what hockey
> legend* to launch a new line of casual menswear in the fall?

Wayne Gretzky. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.
3 for Peter.

> 7. According to the 2015 World Happiness Report (which analyzes
> well-being through measures such as life expectancy, per capita
> incomes, and perceptions of corruption), Canada ranks 5th in
> happiness among more than 150 nations. Name *any* of the top 4.

[1] Switzerland, [2] Iceland, [3] Denmark, [4] Norway. 4 for Bruce,
Marc, Peter, Erland, Joshua, and Stephen (the hard way).

> 8. Name the American former Olympian and reality TV personality who
> said in a televised interview, "Yes, for all intents and purposes
> I am a woman."

Bruce Jenner. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter,
Erland, Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, Jason, and Pete.

> 9. What Himalayan country was hit with a massive 7.8 magnitude
> earthquake on Saturday, leaving a death toll that has risen to
> more than 3,200?

Nepal, duh. 4 for everyone.

> 10. The Toronto Raptors were ousted in a 4-0 sweep in the first
> round of the NBA playoffs. What team routed the Raptors?
> Both city and team name are required.

Washington Wizards. 4 for Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 TOTALS
Stephen Perry 36 36 72
Pete Gayde 12 20 32
Joshua Kreitzer 8 24 32
Bruce Bowler 4 24 28
Dan Blum 3 24 27
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 24
Dan Tilque 4 20 24
Jason Kreitzer 4 16 20
Erland Sommarskog 4 16 20
Peter Smyth 0 19 19

--
Mark Brader | "A colorful quilt reflecting the dispersed development
m...@vex.net | of the nation. A sentence fragment."