RQFTCI03 Game 10 Rounds 4,6: animal, fruit, mineral, or cafes

Mark Brader

Feb 21, 2021, 12:26:01 AM2/21/21
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

I did not write these rounds.

* Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?

These questions refer to the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o10/4/animalfruitmineral.pdf

1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
first.

2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
first.

For the next 4 questions, we give you a letter, and you must name
the corresponding fruit.

3. G.
4. J.
5. K.
6. M.

And for the last 4 questions, we name a gemstone, and you must give
the corresponding letter.

7. Turquoise.
8. Opal.
9. Peridot.
10. Malachite.

So there were 8 decoys, 4 fruits and 4 gems. If you like, decode
the rot13 and identify them for fun, but for no points.

11. Fgne sehvg.
12. Svt.
13. Znatb.
14. Xhzdhng.
15. Yncvf ynmhyv.
16. Nzrgulfg.
17. Syhbevgr.
18. Gbcnm.

* Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture

1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Café des
Deux Magots.

2. This Italian city was the first European city to import coffee.
On one side of its famous square """is""" Caffè Florian,
founded in 1720, where conspirators used to hatch plots against
the Austrians who frequented Caffè Quadri across the square.
Name the city.

3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
take their name from this port.

5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
since the 19th century?

6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
What is this pastry?

7. A poet named a poem he published in 1917 after an effete
character who haunts society drawing rooms. The character
complains: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
Name *either* the poet or the title character.

8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
of this composer's few secular cantatas.

9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
in order from smallest to largest.

10. Name the coffeehouse that used to exist at 134 Yorkville,
owned by Bernie Fiedler, where countless musicians got their
start in the 1960s and '70s.

--
Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 21, 2021, 1:33:25 AM2/21/21
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:kLKdncRfq5J-c6z9nZ2dnUU7-
SHN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?
>
> These questions refer to the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o10/4/animalfruitmineral.pdf
>
> 1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
> first.

A, C, B

> 2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
> first.

F, E, D

> For the next 4 questions, we give you a letter, and you must name
> the corresponding fruit.
>
> 6. M.

pomegranate

> And for the last 4 questions, we name a gemstone, and you must give
> the corresponding letter.
>
> 7. Turquoise.

T; V

> 8. Opal.

> 9. Peridot.

> 10. Malachite.

O; Q

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture
>
> 1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
> existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
> seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Café des
> Deux Magots.

Montparnasse

> 3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
> discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
> some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
> brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
> cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

Ethiopia

> 4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
> Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
> of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
> take their name from this port.

Mocha

> 5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
> since the 19th century?

Brazil

> 6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
> the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
> a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
> What is this pastry?

croissant

> 7. A poet named a poem he published in 1917 after an effete
> character who haunts society drawing rooms. The character
> complains: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
> Name *either* the poet or the title character.

Eliot

> 8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
> German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
> of this composer's few secular cantatas.

Bach

> 9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
> Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
> grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
> in order from smallest to largest.

tall, grande, venti

> 10. Name the coffeehouse that used to exist at 134 Yorkville,
> owned by Bernie Fiedler, where countless musicians got their
> start in the 1960s and '70s.

The Hungry I

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Feb 21, 2021, 6:07:08 AM2/21/21
On 2/20/21 9:25 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?
>
> These questions refer to the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o10/4/animalfruitmineral.pdf
>
> 1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
> first.

C A B

> 2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
> first.

F E D

> For the next 4 questions, we give you a letter, and you must name
> the corresponding fruit.
>
> 3. G.
> 4. J.

kiwifruit

> 5. K.

avocado

> 6. M.
>
> And for the last 4 questions, we name a gemstone, and you must give
> the corresponding letter.
>
> 7. Turquoise.

> 8. Opal.

> 9. Peridot.
> 10. Malachite.
>
> So there were 8 decoys, 4 fruits and 4 gems. If you like, decode
> the rot13 and identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Fgne sehvg.
> 12. Svt.
> 13. Znatb.
> 14. Xhzdhng.
> 15. Yncvf ynmhyv.
> 16. Nzrgulfg.
> 17. Syhbevgr.
> 18. Gbcnm.
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture
>
> 1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
> existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
> seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Café des
> Deux Magots.
>
> 2. This Italian city was the first European city to import coffee.
> On one side of its famous square """is""" Caffè Florian,
> founded in 1720, where conspirators used to hatch plots against
> the Austrians who frequented Caffè Quadri across the square.
> Name the city.

Venice

> 3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
> discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
> some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
> brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
> cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

Ethiopia

> 4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
> Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
> of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
> take their name from this port.

Mocha

> 5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
> since the 19th century?

Brazil

> 6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
> the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
> a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
> What is this pastry?

croisant

> 7. A poet named a poem he published in 1917 after an effete
> character who haunts society drawing rooms. The character
> complains: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
> Name *either* the poet or the title character.
>
> 8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
> German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
> of this composer's few secular cantatas.

Mozart

> 9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
> Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
> grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
> in order from smallest to largest.

tall, venti, grande
venti, tall, grande

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 21, 2021, 6:15:13 AM2/21/21
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?
>
> 1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
> first.

B C A

> 2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
> first.

E F D

> 3. G.

Pomegranate

> 4. J.

Passion fruit

> 5. K.

Yellow mango

> 6. M.

Stuffed bell pepper. :-)

> 7. Turquoise.

> 8. Opal.

> 9. Peridot.

> 10. Malachite.

> So there were 8 decoys, 4 fruits and 4 gems. If you like, decode
> the rot13 and identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Fgne sehvg.

> 12. Svt.

> 13. Znatb.

> 14. Xhzdhng.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture
>
> 1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
> existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
> seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Café des
> Deux Magots.

Boulevard de Montparnasse

> 2. This Italian city was the first European city to import coffee.
> On one side of its famous square """is""" Caffè Florian,
> founded in 1720, where conspirators used to hatch plots against
> the Austrians who frequented Caffè Quadri across the square.
> Name the city.

Venice

> 3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
> discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
> some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
> brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
> cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

Yemen

> 4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
> Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
> of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
> take their name from this port.

Aden

> 5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
> since the 19th century?

Brazil

> 6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
> the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
> a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
> What is this pastry?

Apfelstrudel

> 8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
> German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
> of this composer's few secular cantatas.

J.S. Bach

> 9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
> Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
> grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
> in order from smallest to largest.

tall, grande, venti

> 10. Name the coffeehouse that used to exist at 134 Yorkville,
> owned by Bernie Fiedler, where countless musicians got their
> start in the 1960s and '70s.

Bernie's coffee

Dan Blum

Feb 21, 2021, 10:06:47 AM2/21/21
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?

> 1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
> first.

C B A

> 2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
> first.

E F D

> 3. G.

mango; kumquat

> 4. J.

durian

> 5. K.

durian

> 7. Turquoise.

> 8. Opal.

> 9. Peridot.

Q; R

> 10. Malachite.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture

> 1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
> existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
> seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Caf? des
> Deux Magots.

Rue des Ecoles

> 2. This Italian city was the first European city to import coffee.
> On one side of its famous square """is""" Caff? Florian,
> founded in 1720, where conspirators used to hatch plots against
> the Austrians who frequented Caff? Quadri across the square.
> Name the city.

Venice

> 3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
> discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
> some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
> brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
> cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

Ethiopia

> 4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
> Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
> of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
> take their name from this port.

Mocha

> 5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
> since the 19th century?

Brazil; Colombia

> 6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
> the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
> a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
> What is this pastry?

croissant

> 7. A poet named a poem he published in 1917 after an effete
> character who haunts society drawing rooms. The character
> complains: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
> Name *either* the poet or the title character.

J. Alfred Prufrock

> 8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
> German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
> of this composer's few secular cantatas.

J. S. Bach

> 9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
> Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
> grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
> in order from smallest to largest.

tall venti grande

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Feb 21, 2021, 12:42:50 PM2/21/21
Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> I did not write these rounds.
>

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?
>
> These questions refer to the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o10/4/animalfruitmineral.pdf
>
> 1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
> first.

C, B, A; B, C, A

> 2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
> first.

E, F, D; F, E, D

> For the next 4 questions, we give you a letter, and you must name
> the corresponding fruit.
>
> 3. G.

Persimmon

> 4. J.

Pomegranate

> 5. K.

Papaya

> 6. M.

Pomegranate

> And for the last 4 questions, we name a gemstone, and you must give
> the corresponding letter.
>
> 7. Turquoise.

> 8. Opal.

> 9. Peridot.

Q; T

> 10. Malachite.

T; V

> So there were 8 decoys, 4 fruits and 4 gems. If you like, decode
> the rot13 and identify them for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Fgne sehvg.
> 12. Svt.
> 13. Znatb.
> 14. Xhzdhng.
> 15. Yncvf ynmhyv.
> 16. Nzrgulfg.
> 17. Syhbevgr.
> 18. Gbcnm.
>

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture
>
> 1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
> existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
> seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Café des
> Deux Magots.
>
> 2. This Italian city was the first European city to import coffee.
> On one side of its famous square """is""" Caffè Florian,
> founded in 1720, where conspirators used to hatch plots against
> the Austrians who frequented Caffè Quadri across the square.
> Name the city.

Venice; Milan

> 3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
> discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
> some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
> brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
> cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

Ethiopia; Somalia

> 4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
> Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
> of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
> take their name from this port.

Mocha

> 5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
> since the 19th century?

Colombia; Brazil

> 6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
> the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
> a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
> What is this pastry?

Crescent roll

> 7. A poet named a poem he published in 1917 after an effete
> character who haunts society drawing rooms. The character
> complains: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
> Name *either* the poet or the title character.
>
> 8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
> German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
> of this composer's few secular cantatas.

J. S. Bach

> 9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
> Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
> grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
> in order from smallest to largest.

Venti, Tall, Grande; Tall, Venti, Grande

> 10. Name the coffeehouse that used to exist at 134 Yorkville,
> owned by Bernie Fiedler, where countless musicians got their
> start in the 1960s and '70s.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Feb 23, 2021, 10:49:30 PM2/23/21
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-03-24,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write these rounds.

> * Game 10, Round 4 - Science - Animal, Fruit, or Mineral?

> These questions refer to the handout at:

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/o10/4/animalfruitmineral.pdf

> 1. Arrange fossils A, B, and C into chronological order, earliest
> first.

The intended answer was C, B, A:
C = Trilobite: 400-500 million years old
B = Ammonite: 130-135 million years
A = Fly: 48 million years
This was correct for the specific species indicated, but there are
other kinds of trilobites and ammonites that look similar, and the
two types of creatures coexisted for a long time. We therefore
accepted on a protest the answer B, C, A.

So, 4 for Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete (the hard way).

> 2. Arrange fossils D, E, and F into chronological order, earliest
> first.

E, F, D. 4 for Erland and Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

E = Sahelanthropus tchadensis: 6-7 million years old
F = Australopithecus robustus: 1½-2 million years
D = Homo sapiens neanderthalensis: 50,000 years

> For the next 4 questions, we give you a letter, and you must name
> the corresponding fruit.

> 3. G.

Persimmon (or kaki, Sharon fruit, or Fuji fruit). 4 for Pete.

> 4. J.

Guava (or kuawa).

> 5. K.

Papaya (or paw-paw). 4 for Pete.

> 6. M.

Passion fruit (or granadilla).

> And for the last 4 questions, we name a gemstone, and you must give
> the corresponding letter.

> 7. Turquoise.

T. 4 for Dan Tilque and Dan Blum. 3 for Joshua.

> 8. Opal.

R. I thought that was an easy one.

> 9. Peridot.

Q. 3 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 10. Malachite.

V. 2 for Pete.

> So there were 8 decoys, 4 fruits and 4 gems. If you like, decode
> the rot13 and identify them for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Star fruit.

N. Erland got this.

> 12. Fig.

I. Erland got this.

> 13. Mango.

L. Erland got this.

> 14. Kumquat.

H. Erland got this.

> 15. Lapis lazuli.

P.

> 16. Amethyst.

S.

> 17. Fluorite.

O.

> 18. Topaz.

U.

> * Game 10, Round 6 - Leisure (or Idleness) - Cafe Culture

> 1. Name the left-bank Parisian boulevard frequented by
> existentialist loafers in the 1950s, where you could have
> seen Jean-Paul Sartre sitting and thinking at the Café des
> Deux Magots.

Boul. (I would have accepted "Rue") St-Germain.

> 2. This Italian city was the first European city to import coffee.
> On one side of its famous square """is""" Caffè Florian,
> founded in 1720, where conspirators used to hatch plots against
> the Austrians who frequented Caffè Quadri across the square.
> Name the city.

Venice. (Still true.) 4 for Dan Tilque, Erland, and Dan Blum.
3 for Pete.

> 3. Legend has it that in this African country a goatherd first
> discovered coffee berries and then passed on the secret to
> some monks. In real life, before the Arabs discovered how to
> brew hot coffee, the people of this goatherd's country drank
> cold fermented coffee. What country is it?

Ethiopia. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Dan Blum. 3 for Pete.

> 4. Which Yemeni port held the monopoly on coffee exports from the
> Arabian Peninsula through the 15th to 17th centuries? A kind
> of coffee, and a blend of coffee with another beverage, both
> take their name from this port.

Mocha. 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 5. What country """has been""" the world's biggest coffee producer
> since the 19th century?

Brazil. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Erland.
3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Pete.

> 6. According to legend, the bakers of Vienna saved the city from
> the Turks in 1683, and as a reward, they were allowed to bake
> a pastry based on an image that appears on the Turkish flag.
> What is this pastry?

Croissant ("crescent"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 7. A poet named a poem he published in 1917 after an effete
> character who haunts society drawing rooms. The character
> complains: "I have measured out my life with coffee spoons."
> Name *either* the poet or the title character.

T.S. Eliot, J. Alfred Prufrock. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 8. Who composed the Coffee Cantata in 1734: a tale of a naughty
> German girl who refuses to give up coffee drinking? It is one
> of this composer's few secular cantatas.

J.S. Bach. 4 for Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, and Pete.

> 9. Suppose you're in a Starbucks. Let's say you want a coffee.
> Among the sizes you """can""" choose are (in alphabetical order)
> grande, tall, and venti. Arrange these three Starbucks sizes
> in order from smallest to largest.

Tall, grande, venti. (Still true.) 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 10. Name the coffeehouse that used to exist at 134 Yorkville,
> owned by Bernie Fiedler, where countless musicians got their
> start in the 1960s and '70s.

The Riverboat.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 10 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Ent Sci Lei
Pete Gayde 4 40 20 20 84
Dan Blum 16 20 15 27 78
Joshua Kreitzer 8 32 3 28 71
Erland Sommarskog 4 23 8 16 51
Dan Tilque 8 12 4 20 44

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "You are not the customer,
m...@vex.net you are the product."