QFTCISG Game 1, Rounds 7-8: Grim Reaper and Canada 150

Mark Brader

Oct 1, 2017, 1:53:41 AM10/1/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper

We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.

1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.
2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.
3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.
4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.
5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.
6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.
7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.
8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.
9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.
10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

* Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150

This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
"Canada 150" web sites.

1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
in 1916?

2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
What garnish is put into the drink?

3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from
1946 until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required,
like "Toronto Maple Leafs".)

5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
the actual rodent kind, that is?

6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
What is it? Brand name required.

7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
face in that game? (Full name required.)

8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
that happen?

9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
What city?

10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
use a computer for what function?

--
Mark Brader "As penance, I suppose I should read the standard
Toronto again, but I've already lost as much hair as

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 1, 2017, 5:36:15 AM10/1/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Whitehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

Chuck Berry

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jimi Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

New Brunswick

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

Seal tar

> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

3$

> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Prince Edward Island

> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Montréal Canadiens

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1935

> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Ottawa

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

Flight planning

Peter Smyth

Oct 1, 2017, 5:54:18 AM10/1/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.
Elvis Presley
> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.
John Lennon
> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.
Amy Winehouse
> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.
Kurt Cobain
> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.
Jim Morrison
> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.
Buddy Holly
> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.
Prince
> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.
> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.
David Bowie
> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.
Jimi Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?
Manitoba, Nova Scotia
> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?
An amputated toe
> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name either of those two.
$1000
> 4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
> Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from
> 1946 until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required,
> like "Toronto Maple Leafs".)
Toronto St Patricks
> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?
Newfoundland & Labrador
> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.
>
> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)
>
> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?
>
> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?
>
> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?
Reservations

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Oct 1, 2017, 6:54:49 AM10/1/17
On 10/1/17 00:53, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.
> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

Ray Charles

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jimi Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

British Columbia

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

A human toe

> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

$25

> 4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
> Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from
> 1946 until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required,
> like "Toronto Maple Leafs".)
>
> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

PEI ; Nova Scotia

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.

Kellogg's Corn Flakes

> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Chicago Black Hawks

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1950

> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Montreal ; Ottawa

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

Flight dispatching

Dan Blum

Oct 1, 2017, 10:22:46 AM10/1/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper

> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Winehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jimi Hendrix; Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Richie Valens

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jim Morrison; Janis Joplin

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150

> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

British Columbia; Alberta

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

pickle

> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

$1; $10

> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Prince Edward Island

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.

Timbits

> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Boston Bruins; Chicago Blackhawks

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1900; 1920

> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Toronto; Vancouver

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

tracking tickets and passengers

Knowing the airline industry's computer practices, that same system is
probably still being used.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Oct 1, 2017, 11:08:46 AM10/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:NrGdna2k3uN9H03EnZ2dnUU7-
TvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Winehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

Ray Charles

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jimi Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

Alberta; Saskatchewan

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

a human toe

> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Prince Edward Island

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.

Kraft Dinner macaroni & cheese

> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Montreal Canadiens; Boston Bruins

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1965

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

reservations

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Gareth Owen

Oct 1, 2017, 2:18:00 PM10/1/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Aron Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Winston Ono Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Winehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kur(d)t Donald Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

James Douglas "Jim" Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Charles Hardin "Buddy" Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince Rogers Nelson

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

Soul Brother #1, Mr Please Please, The Hardest Working Man In Show
Business, Godfather of Soul, The Incredible, Mister James Brown

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie (né Jones)

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

James Marshall "Jimi" Hendrix

Bruce Bowler

Oct 2, 2017, 9:05:52 AM10/2/17
On Sun, 01 Oct 2017 00:53:36 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2017-09-25
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician who
> died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Pressley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Winehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

James Brown

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jimmy Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by "Canada
> 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

P.E.I.

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

A human toe ("You can drink it fast, you can drink slow, but your lips
must touch the toe")

> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

50 cent

> 4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
> Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from 1946
> until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required, like
> "Toronto Maple Leafs".)
>
> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Newfoundland; P.E.I.

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.
>
> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs face
> in that game? (Full name required.)
>
> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament passed
> the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did that happen?
>
> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Montreal

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

Managing reservations

Jason Kreitzer

Oct 2, 2017, 9:12:57 PM10/2/17
On Sunday, October 1, 2017 at 1:53:41 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.
Elvis Presley
> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.
John Lennon
> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.
> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.
Kurt Cobain
> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.
Jim Morrison
> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.
Buddy Holly
> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.
Prince
> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.
James Brown
> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.
David Bowie
> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.
Jimi Hendrix

Dan Tilque

Oct 3, 2017, 1:11:04 AM10/3/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.
> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Joni Mitchell

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.
> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

Gregg Allman

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

George Harrison

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jim Morrison

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

Saskatchewan

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?
>
> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

twenty-five dollar bill

> 4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
> Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from
> 1946 until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required,
> like "Toronto Maple Leafs".)
>
> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Alberta

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.

Tim Horton's donuts

> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Boston Bruins

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1980

> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Scarborough, Ontario

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

schedule planes

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Oct 3, 2017, 1:33:00 AM10/3/17
Dan Tilque:
> Boston Bruins

Lucky guess, or did you know, and if so how?
--
Mark Brader | "This website offers to conjugate your French verb.
Toronto | Trust the French to come up with something kinky

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 3, 2017, 2:50:35 AM10/3/17
In article <NrGdna2k3uN9H03E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.
Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.
John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.
Amy Winehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.
Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.
Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.
Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.
Prince

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.
James Brown

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.
David Bowie

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.
Jimi Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?
>
> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?
spruce needles

---
http://www.avg.com

Dan Tilque

Oct 3, 2017, 5:04:03 AM10/3/17
Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> Boston Bruins
>
> Lucky guess, or did you know, and if so how?

Pure luck.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Oct 4, 2017, 12:17:59 AM10/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:NrGdna2k3uN9H03EnZ2dnUU7-
TvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Smith & Guessin' and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper
>
> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.
>
> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Winehouse

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jim Morrison

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

James Brown

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

Leonard Cohen

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jimi Hendrix

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150
>
> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.
>
> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?
>
> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

A goldminer's frostbitten toe

> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.
>
> 4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
> Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from
> 1946 until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required,
> like "Toronto Maple Leafs".)
>
> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Nunavuut; Yukon Territory

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.
>
> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Detroit Red Wings; Boston Bruins

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1940; 1951

> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Toronto; Montreal

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

Reservations; Scheduling

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Oct 4, 2017, 1:39:43 AM10/4/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-09-18,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 1, Round 7 - Entertainment - A Date with the Grim Reaper

> We give you the date, place, and age, and you identify the musician
> who died. Look, some of them actually made it past 27.

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. 1977-08-16, Memphis TN, age 42.

Elvis Presley. 4 for everyone -- Erland, Peter, Don, Dan Blum,
Joshua, Gareth, Bruce, Jason, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

> 2. 1980-12-08, Manhattan, New York NY, age 40.

John Lennon. 4 for everyone.

> 3. 2011-07-23, Camden, London, UK, age 27.

Amy Winehouse. 4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth, Bruce, Marc,
and Pete.

> 4. 1994-04-05, Seattle WA, age 27.

Kurt Cobain. 4 for everyone.

> 5. 1971-07-03, Paris, France, age 27.

Jim Morrison. 4 for Erland, Peter, Don, Joshua, Gareth, Bruce,
Jason, Marc, and Pete. 2 for Dan Blum.

> 6. 1959-02-03, Clear Lake IA, age 22.

Buddy Holly. 4 for Erland, Peter, Don, Joshua, Gareth, Bruce, Jason,
Dan Tilque, Marc, and Pete.

Also killed in the same plane crash were Ritchie Valens and
J.P. Richardson, known as "the Big Bopper". But they were
17 and 28 years old, respectively.

> 7. 2016-04-21, Chanhassen MN, age 57.

Prince. 4 for Erland, Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth, Bruce,
Jason, Marc, and Pete.

> 8. 2006-12-25, Atlanta GA, age 73.

James Brown. 4 for Gareth, Bruce, Jason, Marc, and Pete.

> 9. 2016-01-10, Manhattan, New York NY, age 69.

David Bowie. 4 for Erland, Peter, Don, Dan Blum, Joshua, Gareth,
Bruce, Jason, and Marc.

> 10. 1970-09-18, Kensington, London, UK, age 27.

Jimi Hendrix. 4 for Erland, Peter, Don, Joshua, Gareth, Bruce,
Jason, Marc, and Pete.

> * Game 1, Round 8 - Canadiana - Canada 150

> This round consists of miscellaneous trivia items inspired by
> "Canada 150" web sites.

> 1. Which province was the first to grant women the right to vote,
> in 1916?

Manitoba. 3 for Peter.

> 2. Dawson City, Yukon, is home to the Sour Toe Cocktail.
> What garnish is put into the drink?

An actual human toe. 4 for Peter, Don, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 3. In 1934 the Bank of Canada was designated as the only source
> to produce Canadian paper money. Among the denominations first
> issued, two were short-lived and both had been withdrawn from
> circulation by 1938. Name *either* of those two.

$25, $500. 4 for Don and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Long before the Raptors, this Toronto team was the first
> Canadian team in the NBA, playing out of Maple Leaf Gardens from
> 1946 until 1947. What were they called? (Full name required,
> like "Toronto Maple Leafs".)

Toronto Huskies.

> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
> the actual rodent kind, that is?

Alberta. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. Around the world 7,000,000 boxes of this product are sold weekly.
> Canada is the #1 consumer, at 1,700,000 boxes per week.
> What is it? Brand name required.

Kraft Dinner. (Also accepting its new short form KD, or K-Mac,
or its US name Kraft Macaroni & Cheese.) 4 for Joshua.

> 7. The first "Hockey Night in Canada" broadcast televised in
> English was in November 1952, from Toronto. Who did the Leafs
> face in that game? (Full name required.)

Boston Bruins. 4 for Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum. 2 for Joshua
and Pete.

> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
> that happen?

1980 (accepting 1975-85). 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. In 1959 this city became the first to have a special short phone
> number for emergency calls -- 999, later changed to 911.
> What city?

Winnipeg.

> 10. In 1953 Trans-Canada became the first airline in the world to
> use a computer for what function?

Reservations. I accepted "tracking tickets and passengers".
4 for Peter, Dan Blum, Joshua, and Bruce. 3 for Pete.

The system was known as Reservac. TCA, of course, is now Air Canada.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Geo Can Ent Can FOUR
Don Piven 28 32 32 0 32 8 124
Joshua Kreitzer 28 28 20 4 36 14 112
Marc Dashevsky 24 20 22 0 40 0 106
Dan Blum 28 28 24 12 26 7 106
Dan Tilque 28 32 28 0 16 16 104
Bruce Bowler 24 16 12 0 40 8 92
Erland Sommarskog 16 4 31 0 32 0 83
Peter Smyth 18 12 16 0 36 11 82
Pete Gayde 16 12 -- -- 36 9 73
Jason Kreitzer 4 20 4 0 36 0 64
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- 40 0 40

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"The recent explosion of tourism has ruined the

Dan Tilque

Oct 4, 2017, 5:09:09 AM10/4/17
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 5. What province claims to be the first to be free of rats --
>> the actual rodent kind, that is?
>
> Alberta. 4 for Dan Tilque.

This one, BTW, I actually knew. Someone modified the map Wikipedia has
for the range of the rat with an Alberta-shaped hole in it. There's an
edit-war between the two versions:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Brown_rat_distribution.png

>> 8. "O Canada" was first performed in Quebec City in 1880, but it
>> did not become our official national anthem until Parliament
>> passed the National Anthem Act. Within 5 years, when did
>> that happen?
>
> 1980 (accepting 1975-85). 4 for Dan Tilque.

I knew it was somewhere around that time, but didn't remember the exact
year. So this was a bit lucky that I got it exactly.

--
Dan Tilque