QFTCI16 Game 2, Rounds 7-8: PMs, no thanks

Mark Brader

Jul 1, 2016, 5:09:23 AM7/1/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I wrote one of these rounds.

* Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers

Another simple one. We name a prime minister; you give the photo
number on the handout:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-7/pms.jpg

1. Robert Borden.
2. Joe Clark.
3. Lester Pearson.
4. Mackenzie Bowell.
5. Alexander Mackenzie.
6. Richard B. Bennett.
7. Charles Tupper.
8. William Lyon Mackenzie King.
9. Louis St-Laurent.
10. Arthur Meighen.

So again there were 14 decoys, including all 13 of the other
prime ministers. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the unused
picture numbers and identify these prime ministers (and the other
guy) for fun, but for no points.

11. Guvegrra.
12. Avargrra.
13. Friragrra.
14. Gjb.
15. Ryrira.
16. Gjryir.
17. Gjragl-gjb.
18. Sbhe.
19. Rvtugrra.
20. Gjragl-sbhe.
21. Avar.
22. Fvk.
23. Gjragl-guerr.
24. Svsgrra.

* Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks

Some people just can't take a compliment. This round is about
people who were offered great honors, but in each case turned them
down -- sometimes under force.

1. In 1971 Marlon Brando declined the Academy Award for Best Actor
in "The Godfather" and sent a representative to give a speech in
his place. What issue was he protesting with this action?

2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
first person ever to decline an Academy Award?

3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.

4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?

5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?

6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
receive the award. Who was he?

7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
and that of the West." Who?

8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.

9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.

10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
"Pebzjryy" ba gur guveq dhrfgvba, jr arrq n svefg anzr. Tb onpx
naq fhccyl vg. Naq ba gur gragu dhrfgvba: fbzr bs gurz qrpyvarq
gur POR, ohg jr'er ybbxvat sbe n uvture ubabe gung nyy bs gurz
qrpyvarq. Vs lbh zragvbarq gur Beqre bs gur Oevgvfu Rzcver va
nal jnl, qryrgr gung nafjre naq gel ntnva.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Alas, there is NO SUCH THING as 'NO SUCH THING as
m...@vex.net | privileged access.'" -- Alan Silverstein

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 1, 2016, 7:08:32 AM7/1/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 11. Guvegrra.

Che Guevara? But he wasn't from Canada, was he?

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks
>
> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?

Boris Pasternak

> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.

Le Duc Tho

> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?

Being dubbed "Sir".

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Pebzjryy" ba gur guveq dhrfgvba, jr arrq n svefg anzr. Tb onpx
> naq fhccyl vg. Naq ba gur gragu dhrfgvba: fbzr bs gurz qrpyvarq
> gur POR, ohg jr'er ybbxvat sbe n uvture ubabe gung nyy bs gurz
> qrpyvarq. Vs lbh zragvbarq gur Beqre bs gur Oevgvfu Rzcver va
> nal jnl, qryrgr gung nafjre naq gel ntnva.

Hm, seems that my guess for #10 was on target, but too vague to qualify.
Oh well.

Marc Dashevsky

Jul 1, 2016, 11:29:39 AM7/1/16
In article <kaydnYx4vOSjruvK...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks
>
> 1. In 1971 Marlon Brando declined the Academy Award for Best Actor
> in "The Godfather" and sent a representative to give a speech in
> his place. What issue was he protesting with this action?
U.S. treatmeant of native Americans.

> 2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
> first person ever to decline an Academy Award?
George C. Scott

> 3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
> the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.
>
> 4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
> in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
> England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
> working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?
John Cleese

> 5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
> Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
> and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
> the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
> did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?
>
> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?
Boris Pasternak

> 7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
> motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
> later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
> battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
> the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
> and that of the West." Who?
Bertrand Russell

> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.
>
> 9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
> He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
> to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
> literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.
>
> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?
knighthood

Peter Smyth

Jul 1, 2016, 1:25:53 PM7/1/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks
>
> Some people just can't take a compliment. This round is about
> people who were offered great honors, but in each case turned them
> down -- sometimes under force.
>
> 1. In 1971 Marlon Brando declined the Academy Award for Best Actor
> in "The Godfather" and sent a representative to give a speech in
> his place. What issue was he protesting with this action?
Vietnam War
> 2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
> first person ever to decline an Academy Award?

> 3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
> the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.
Oliver Cromwell
> 4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
> in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
> England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
> working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?
John Cleese
> 5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
> Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
> and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
> the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
> did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?
>
> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?
Boris Pasternak
> 7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
> motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
> later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
> battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
> the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
> and that of the West." Who?
Jean Paul Sartre
> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.
Tho
> 9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
> He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
> to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
> literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.
Hemingway
> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?
Knighthood
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you said
> "Cromwell" on the third question, we need a first name. Go back
> and supply it. And on the tenth question: some of them declined
> the CBE, but we're looking for a higher honor that all of them
> declined. If you mentioned the Order of the British Empire in
> any way, delete that answer and try again.

Peter Smyth

Pete

Jul 1, 2016, 9:00:47 PM7/1/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:kaydnYx4vOSjruvKnZ2dnUU7-
UnN...@giganews.com:

5

> 4. Mackenzie Bowell.
> 5. Alexander Mackenzie.

20; 14

> 6. Richard B. Bennett.
> 7. Charles Tupper.
> 8. William Lyon Mackenzie King.
> 9. Louis St-Laurent.
> 10. Arthur Meighen.
>
> So again there were 14 decoys, including all 13 of the other
> prime ministers. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the unused
> picture numbers and identify these prime ministers (and the other
> guy) for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Guvegrra.

Pierre Trudeau

> 12. Avargrra.

Diefenbaker

> 13. Friragrra.
> 14. Gjb.
> 15. Ryrira.
> 16. Gjryir.
> 17. Gjragl-gjb.
> 18. Sbhe.
> 19. Rvtugrra.
> 20. Gjragl-sbhe.
> 21. Avar.
> 22. Fvk.

Justin Trudeau

> 23. Gjragl-guerr.
> 24. Svsgrra.
>

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks
>
> Some people just can't take a compliment. This round is about
> people who were offered great honors, but in each case turned them
> down -- sometimes under force.
>
> 1. In 1971 Marlon Brando declined the Academy Award for Best Actor
> in "The Godfather" and sent a representative to give a speech in
> his place. What issue was he protesting with this action?

Native American rights

> 2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
> first person ever to decline an Academy Award?

David Niven

> 3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
> the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.

Oliver Cromwell

> 4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
> in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
> England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
> working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?
>
> 5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
> Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
> and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
> the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
> did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?

He was tried in Nuremberg

> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?

Pasternak

> 7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
> motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
> later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
> battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
> the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
> and that of the West." Who?
>
> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.

Tho

> 9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
> He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
> to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
> literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.
>
> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?

Knighthood

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Pebzjryy" ba gur guveq dhrfgvba, jr arrq n svefg anzr. Tb onpx
> naq fhccyl vg. Naq ba gur gragu dhrfgvba: fbzr bs gurz qrpyvarq
> gur POR, ohg jr'er ybbxvat sbe n uvture ubabe gung nyy bs gurz
> qrpyvarq. Vs lbh zragvbarq gur Beqre bs gur Oevgvfu Rzcver va
> nal jnl, qryrgr gung nafjre naq gel ntnva.

Pete Gayde

Björn Lundin

Jul 2, 2016, 11:06:20 AM7/2/16
On 2016-07-01 11:09, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Usual Suspects and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-05-31 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>
> I wrote one of these rounds.
>

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers
>
> Another simple one.

If you are Canadian that is.
I do recognize number 6 and 11 and I think they are
Justin Trudeau and Brian Mulroney.
The other ones - no idea

> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?

Sakharov ; Solzhenitsyn

> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?

British nighthood

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Pebzjryy" ba gur guveq dhrfgvba, jr arrq n svefg anzr. Tb onpx
> naq fhccyl vg. Naq ba gur gragu dhrfgvba: fbzr bs gurz qrpyvarq
> gur POR, ohg jr'er ybbxvat sbe n uvture ubabe gung nyy bs gurz
> qrpyvarq. Vs lbh zragvbarq gur Beqre bs gur Oevgvfu Rzcver va
> nal jnl, qryrgr gung nafjre naq gel ntnva.

Björn

Mark Brader

Jul 2, 2016, 2:03:11 PM7/2/16
Mark Brader:
> > Another simple one.

Björn Lundin:
> If you are Canadian that is.

I said simple, not easy. The instructions were simple.
--
Mark Brader | Those who mourn for "USENET like it was" should
Toronto | remember the original design estimates of maximum

Dan Tilque

Jul 3, 2016, 4:33:48 AM7/3/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers
>
> Another simple one. We name a prime minister; you give the photo
> number on the handout:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/2-7/pms.jpg
>
> 1. Robert Borden.
> 2. Joe Clark.

16

> 3. Lester Pearson.

24

> 4. Mackenzie Bowell.
> 5. Alexander Mackenzie.

14

> 6. Richard B. Bennett.
> 7. Charles Tupper.
> 8. William Lyon Mackenzie King.

5
treatment of American Indians

> 2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
> first person ever to decline an Academy Award?

George C Scott

> 3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
> the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.

Oliver Cromwell

> 4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
> in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
> England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
> working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?
>
> 5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
> Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
> and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
> the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
> did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?
>
> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?

Solzhenitsyn

> 7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
> motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
> later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
> battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
> the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
> and that of the West." Who?
>
> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.

Le Duc Toe

> 9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
> He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
> to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
> literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.
>
> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh fnvq
> "Pebzjryy" ba gur guveq dhrfgvba, jr arrq n svefg anzr. Tb onpx
> naq fhccyl vg. Naq ba gur gragu dhrfgvba: fbzr bs gurz qrpyvarq
> gur POR, ohg jr'er ybbxvat sbe n uvture ubabe gung nyy bs gurz
> qrpyvarq. Vs lbh zragvbarq gur Beqre bs gur Oevgvfu Rzcver va
> nal jnl, qryrgr gung nafjre naq gel ntnva.

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jul 3, 2016, 8:21:38 PM7/3/16
On Friday, July 1, 2016 at 7:09:23 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 7 - Canadiana History - Prime Ministers

Pass

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks
>
> 1. In 1971 Marlon Brando declined the Academy Award for Best Actor
> in "The Godfather" and sent a representative to give a speech in
> his place. What issue was he protesting with this action?

Treatment of indigenous peoples

> 2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
> first person ever to decline an Academy Award?

Scott

> 3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
> the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.

Oliver Cromwell

> 4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
> in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
> England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
> working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?

Palin, Cleese

> 5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
> Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
> and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
> the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
> did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?
>
> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?

Solzhanitsyn

> 7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
> motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
> later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
> battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
> the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
> and that of the West." Who?
>
> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.

Nixon?

> 9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
> He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
> to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
> literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.
>
> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?

Knighthood

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 4, 2016, 2:42:02 AM7/4/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-05-30,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

The date when they were posted here was purely a coincidence.

*****BEFORE POSTING QUESTIONS*****
***** REMOVE ANSWERS *****
***** REMOVE REFERENCES *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
***** CHECK HANDOUT/URL *****
**********************************

******BEFORE POSTING ANSWERS******
***** $DOTDIR/mime IF 8859 *****
***** CHECK SUBJECT LINE *****
**********************************

> I wrote one of these rounds.

That was the prime ministers.

#21. (You can check this one for yourself -- just pull out a
$100 bill.)

#1.

#16.

#20.

#14. 4 for Dan. 2 for Pete.

#7.

#10.

#5 ($50 bill). 4 for Dan.

#3.

#8.

> So again there were 14 decoys, including all 13 of the other
> prime ministers. Decode the rot13 if you'd like to see the unused
> picture numbers and identify these prime ministers (and the other
> guy) for fun, but for no points.

> 11. Thirteen.

Pierre E. Trudeau. Pete got this.

> 12. Nineteen.

John Diefenbaker. Pete got this.

> 13. Seventeen.

John Abbott.

> 14. Two.

Wilfrid Laurier ($5 bill).

> 15. Eleven.

Brian Mulroney. Björn got this.

> 16. Twelve.

John Thompson.

> 17. Twenty-two.

Paul Martin.

> 18. Four.

John A. Macdonald ($10 bill).

> 19. Eighteen.

Jean Chretien.

> 20. Twenty-four.

John Turner.

> 21. Nine.

Kim Campbell.

> 22. Six.

Justin Trudeau. Pete and Björn got this.

> 23. Twenty-three.

Stephen Harper.

> 24. Fifteen.

Doug Ford. (Brother of our late ex-mayor Rob Ford. Well, he once
said he'd like to be PM...)

> * Game 2, Round 8 - Miscellaneous - Thanks but No Thanks

> Some people just can't take a compliment. This round is about
> people who were offered great honors, but in each case turned them
> down -- sometimes under force.

> 1. In 1971 Marlon Brando declined the Academy Award for Best Actor
> in "The Godfather" and sent a representative to give a speech in
> his place. What issue was he protesting with this action?

Misrepresentation of American Indians on movies and TV, as well
as the ongoing siege at Wounded Knee. (Anything along these lines
was sufficient.) 4 for Marc, Pete, Dan, and Calvin.

> 2. Who declined the Best Actor Oscar the previous year -- the
> first person ever to decline an Academy Award?

George C. Scott. (For "Patton".) 4 for Marc, Dan, and Calvin.

> 3. Turning down an Oscar is one thing, but in 1657 this man declined
> the British crown when it was offered to him! Name him.

Oliver Cromwell. 4 for Peter, Pete, Dan, and Calvin.

He was already head of state, but opposed the monarchy. We needed
both names because the following year his son Richard succeeded him
as head of state.

> 4. Which British actor, comedian, and writer turned down a seat
> in the House of Lords -- because, he claimed, remaining in
> England during the winter months to fulfill his role as a
> working peer was "too much of a price to pay"?

John Cleese. 4 for Marc and Peter. 2 for Calvin.

> 5. In 1939 Gerhard Domagk was announced as the winner of the Nobel
> Prize in Physiology or Medicine, but the Gestapo arrested him
> and kept him in prison for seven days, and he had to refuse
> the prize. The story wasn't over yet, though. The denouement
> did not occur until after the war, in 1947. What happened then?

He received the award but not the money.

> 6. This winner was forced to decline his Nobel Prize for Literature
> in 1958 when the Soviet Union threatened that he wouldn't
> be allowed to reenter the country if he went to Stockholm to
> receive the award. Who was he?

Boris Pasternak. 4 for Erland, Marc, Peter, and Pete.

(Yes, another "Dr. Zhivago" question. The novel was banned in the USSR.)

> 7. This philosopher declared both a personal and an ideological
> motive for rejecting the Nobel literature prize a few years
> later. His stated reason was his conviction that the "only
> battle possible today on the cultural front is the battle for
> the peaceful coexistence of the two cultures, that of the East
> and that of the West." Who?

Jean-Paul Sartre. 4 for Peter.

> 8. This man was awarded the Nobel Peace Prize in 1973, jointly
> with Henry Kissinger, but refused to accept it -- simply because
> Vietnam was not yet, in fact, at peace! Name him.

Le Duc Tho. (Either "Le" or "Tho" was sufficient.) 4 for Erland,
Peter, Pete, and Dan.

> 9. Who declined the Pulitzer Prize for his novel "Arrowsmith"?
> He said it was because candidates for the prize were supposed
> to be "wholesome" novels rather than necessarily those with
> literary merit. He did accept the 1930 Nobel Prize, though.

Sinclair Lewis.

> 10. What honor has been declined by all of the following:
> David Bowie, Francis Crick, Michael Faraday, Albert Finney,
> T.E. Lawrence, Henry Moore, and George Bernard Shaw?

Knighthood. 4 for Erland (yes!), Marc, Peter, Pete, Björn,
and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Spo Ent Geo Lit Can Mis FOUR
Stephen Perry 36 36 40 40 -- -- 152
Joshua Kreitzer 16 30 40 25 -- -- 111
Dan Tilque 20 12 40 4 8 16 88
Peter Smyth 18 0 40 0 0 24 82
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 40 12 0 20 72
"Calvin" 6 7 40 0 0 18 71
Pete Gayde -- -- 40 4 2 20 66
Jason Kreitzer 4 12 36 12 -- -- 64
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 40 0 0 12 56
Bruce Bowler -- -- 36 0 -- -- 36
Björn Lundin 4 2 -- -- 0 4 10

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's easier to deal with 'opposite numbers'
m...@vex.net | when you know you cannot trust them." --Chess