Google Gruppi non supporta più i nuovi post o le nuove iscrizioni Usenet. I contenuti storici continuano a essere visibili.

Rotating quiz #162

18 visualizzazioni
Passa al primo messaggio da leggere

Chris F.A. Johnson

da leggere,
17 nov 2014, 05:08:0317/11/14
This is Rotating Quiz 162. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
November 23, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).

Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
winner gets to create the next RQ.

Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
tiebreaker will be posting order.

1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
2014?

2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?

3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
mathematician?

4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".

5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
Math".

6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
"The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".

7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
his poetry.

8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
"Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.

9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
"the science of fluxions".

10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

da leggere,
17 nov 2014, 06:12:3717/11/14
Chris Johnson:
> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?

Abel? (Only name I can think of with a math connection that might be
Norwegian.)

> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?

Fields.

> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?

Nash.

> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".

Von Neumann? (I doubt it; I don't think he lived into Nixon's era.
See signature quote.)

> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".

Lehrer.

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".

Smullyan.

> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.

Khayyam.

> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.

Whitestead.

> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".

Newton... speaking of Principia Mathematica!

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Laplace.

> 11. Which writer did I forget to ask about?

Martin Gardner.
--
Mark Brader | "You wake me up early in the morning to tell me
Toronto | I am right? Please wait until I am wrong."

Marc Dashevsky

da leggere,
17 nov 2014, 10:49:1617/11/14
In article <cksojb-...@chris.tor>, cfajo...@gmail.com says...

> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?
Nobel

> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?
>
> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?
>
> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".
>
> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".
Tom Lehrer

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".
>
> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.
>
> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.
>
> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".
Isaac Newton

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.
Laplace

Dan Blum

da leggere,
17 nov 2014, 12:26:2117/11/14
Chris F.A. Johnson <cfajo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?

Field Medal

> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?

John Nash

> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".

Daniel Ellsberg

> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".

Tom Lehrer

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".

Raymond Smullyan

> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.

Omar Khayyam

> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.

Alfred Whitehead

> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".

Isaac Newton

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Lagrange

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Chris F.A. Johnson

da leggere,
17 nov 2014, 19:08:0517/11/14
On 2014-11-17, Mark Brader wrote:
>> 11. Which writer did I forget to ask about?
>
> Martin Gardner.

I considered including Gardner ... along with many others.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Dan Tilque

da leggere,
18 nov 2014, 07:58:1618/11/14
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?
>
> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?

Fields Medal

> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?

Nash

> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".

Ellsberg

> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".

Lehrer

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".
>
> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.

Omar Khayyam

> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.
>
> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".

Newton

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Le Verrier ?

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

da leggere,
18 nov 2014, 18:34:1118/11/14
Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> This is Rotating Quiz 162. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> November 23, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
> winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
> in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
> below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
> the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
> as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
> tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?
>
> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?
Fields Medal
> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?
>
> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".
>
> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".
Tom Lehrer
> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".
Martin Gardner
> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.
>
> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.
Whitehead
> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".
Newton
> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Peter Smyth

Rob Parker

da leggere,
18 nov 2014, 23:29:3918/11/14
> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?
>
> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?
>
> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?

John Nash

> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".
>
> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".

Tom Lehrer

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".
>
> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.

Omar Khayam (?)

> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.
>
> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".

Isaac Newton (?)

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Blaise Pascal (?)

Rob

Pete

da leggere,
21 nov 2014, 12:43:0321/11/14
"Chris F.A. Johnson" <cfajo...@gmail.com> wrote in news:cksojb-tku.ln1
@chris.tor:

> This is Rotating Quiz 162. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> November 23, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Daylight Time).
>
> Usual rules: no looking anything up, no discussion, etc. The
> winner gets to create the next RQ.
>
> Please post your answers to all questions in a single followup
> in the newsgroup, quoting the questions and placing your answer
> below each one. Only one answer is allowed per question.
>
> In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
> the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
> as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
> tiebreaker will be posting order.
>
> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?

Nobel

> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?
>
> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?
>
> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".

Feynman

> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".

Lehrer

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".

Steve Allen

> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.

Omar Khayyam

> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.
>
> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".
>
> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Pascal

Pete

Calvin

da leggere,
22 nov 2014, 05:55:2822/11/14
On Monday, November 17, 2014 8:08:03 PM UTC+10, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:

> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?
>
> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?
>
> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?

Nash

> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".
>
> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".
>
> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".
>
> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.
>
> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.

Newton

> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".

Newton

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Pascal

cheers,
calvin

Chris F.A. Johnson

da leggere,
26 nov 2014, 17:08:0726/11/14
On 2014-11-17, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
> This is Rotating Quiz 162. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
> November 23, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).

Here are the answers; scores will be posted shortly.

> 1. Princeton's Yakov Sinai won what Norwegian prize for mathematics in
> 2014?

Abel

> 2. Stanford's Maryam Mirzakhani is the first woman to win what medal -
> known as the "Nobel Prize of mathematics"?

Fields medal

> 3. The movie, "A Beautiful Mind" deals with the life of which
> mathematician?

John Nash

> 4. President Nixon called this mathematician, who worked for the RAND
> Corporation, "the most dangerous man in America".

Daniel Ellsberg

> 5. This Harvard math professor wrote and performed satirical songs,
> including "The Vatican Rag", "National Brotherhood Week" and "New
> Math".

Tom Lehrer

> 6. A mathematician, concert pianist, logician, Taoist philosopher, and
> magician, his books include "What Is the Name of This Book?" and
> "The Chess Mysteries of Sherlock Holmes".

Raymond Smullyan

> 7. This Islamic mathematician of the 11th and 12th centuries proved
> that the Earth rotates around the Sun. He wrote "Treatise on
> Demonstration of Problems of Algebra", but is best known today for
> his poetry.

Omar Khayyam

> 8. This mathematician is famous for co-authoring the historical
> "Principia Mathematica" with Bertrand Russell.

Alfred North Whitehead

> 9. This 17th century British mathematician invented what he called
> "the science of fluxions".

Isaac Newton

> 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

Laplace

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Mark Brader

da leggere,
26 nov 2014, 19:37:3326/11/14
Chris Johnson:
> > 10. This 18th/19th century French mathematician redeveloped and
> > improved Newton's work on planetary motions using calculus.

> Laplace

I looked up Lagrange after someone else posted that answer and
it looks to me as though he meets the specification as well.
--
Mark Brader | "...he entertained the notion that I was cribbing from
Toronto | other [students' exams] until it was pointed out that

Erland Sommarskog

da leggere,
30 nov 2014, 10:04:1730/11/14
Chris F.A. Johnson (cfajo...@cfaj.ca) writes:
> On 2014-11-17, Chris F.A. Johnson wrote:
>> This is Rotating Quiz 162. Entries must be posted by Sunday,
>> November 23, 2014 at 10 PM (Eastern Standard Time).
>
> Here are the answers; scores will be posted shortly.

They did not make it to my server. Nor have I see RQ 163. So just in case,
Chris forgot about it, I took the freedom to score the quiz which I did not
enter myself.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
Mark Brader X X X - X X X ½ X X 8½
Marc D - - - - X - - - X X 3
Dan Blum - X X X X X X X X ½ 8½
Dan Tilque - X X X X - X - X - 6
Peter Smyth - X - - - X - X X - 4
Rob Parker - - X - X - X - X - 4
Pete - - - - X - X - - - 2
Calvin - - X - - - - - X - 2

Mark B gets ½ on question 8 for entering Whitestead of Whitehead.

Dan Blum entered Lagrange for the last question. Mark pointed out that
this seems to be an answer that fits the bill. I looked up the two men in
my Swedish encyclopedia from the 1950s, and while there is a short
sentence on the motion of planets in the article on Lagrange, there is a
lot more in the article on Laplace.

Declining to laziness, I also checked Wikipedia, and I get the same
impression. Lagrange was also working in this field, but Laplace did
the major work. I eventually decided that Lagrange was only worth a
half point.

This puts Mark and Dan on the same total score. Chris had stated:

In case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be whoever scored
the most points on the hardest questions (defined post-facto
as the ones which the fewest people got any points on). Second
tiebreaker will be posting order.

Mark was the only one to #1 correct, and he was also the first to
enter.

Thus, by my scoring, RQ 163 is Mark Brader's. However, let's give
Chris a day or two to make his final verdict.

Mark Brader

da leggere,
9 dic 2014, 13:27:2009/12/14
Chris Johnson:
> > Here are the answers; scores will be posted shortly.

Chris has ignored two emailed reminders and a spoken reminder last night.
Let's got on with this.

Erland Sommarskog:
> I took the freedom to score the quiz which I did not enter myself.

Thanks.

> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Total
> Mark Brader X X X - X X X ½ X X 8½
> Marc D - - - - X - - - X X 3
> Dan Blum - X X X X X X X X ½ 8½
> Dan Tilque - X X X X - X - X - 6
> Peter Smyth - X - - - X - X X - 4
> Rob Parker - - X - X - X - X - 4
> Pete - - - - X - X - - - 2
> Calvin - - X - - - - - X - 2
>
> Mark B gets ½ on question 8 for entering Whitestead of Whitehead.
>
> Dan Blum entered Lagrange for the last question. Mark pointed out that
> this seems to be an answer that fits the bill. I looked up the two men in
> my Swedish encyclopedia from the 1950s, and while there is a short
> sentence on the motion of planets in the article on Lagrange, there is a
> lot more in the article on Laplace.
>
> Declining to laziness, I also checked Wikipedia, and I get the same
> impression. Lagrange was also working in this field, but Laplace did
> the major work. I eventually decided that Lagrange was only worth a
> half point.

I dispute both awards. Dan beat me fair and square. That's why I didn't
post anything pointing out that in any case I was unavailable to start
RQ 163 due to absence.

Dan, please accept my congratulations, go back in time a week, and
start RQ 163.
--
Mark Brader | "Must undefined behavior obey *all* the laws of physics,
m...@vex.net | or is the restriction limited to time travel?"

Dan Blum

da leggere,
9 dic 2014, 15:41:2609/12/14
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> I dispute both awards. Dan beat me fair and square. That's why I didn't
> post anything pointing out that in any case I was unavailable to start
> RQ 163 due to absence.

> Dan, please accept my congratulations, go back in time a week, and
> start RQ 163.

Thanks. There may be a sign error on that time travel.
0 nuovi messaggi