QFTCIWSS Game 1, Rounds 9-10: dollars and Ottawa

Mark Brader

Jul 26, 2018, 12:55:33 AM7/26/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Which Dollar?

Over 20 countries refer to their currency as "the dollar". For each
one we name, give the number of the corresponding illustration on
the handout at:

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-9/doll.jpg

1. Australia.
2. Liberia.
3. Taiwan.
4. Hong Kong.
5. Singapore.
6. Jamaica.
7. Namibia.
8. New Zealand.
9. Brunei.
10. Fiji.

So there were 8 decoys, not all of which are countries. Decode the
rot13 if you'd like to see their names and identify their currencies
for fun, but for no points.

11. Orezhqn.
12. Fhevanzr.
13. Onunznf.
14. Oryvmr.
15. Gevavqnq & Gbontb.
16. Thlnan.
17. Pnlzna Vf.
18. Fbybzba Vf.

** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Boring Bytown? We Think Not!

* A. City-Building

A1. In what year, within 3, was the town of Bytown incorporated
as the City of Ottawa?

A2. Bytown was itself built upon an earlier farming village.
What was it called?

* B. Ottawa Senators

B1. Name the year, within 1, when NHL hockey returned to Ottawa
after a 60-year lapse in the form of the new Ottawa Senators.

B2. The new Senators won their first game 5-3 -- over which team?
Either city or team name will do provided that it's
unambiguous.

* C. Ottawa Water

C1. Ottawa sits at the confluence of three rivers. Name *all
three*. (If you give two guesses, please keep them clear
by giving the full list of three names each time.)

C2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
with the previous question. In winter, parts of the Rideau
Canal become one of the longest skating trails in the world.
How long is it, within 25% of the true answer?

* D. Ottawa on the Screen

D1. This Ottawa-born actor is the voice of Hiccup in the "How to
Train Your Dragon" franchise, and also starred in Judd
Apatow's series "Undeclared". Who is he?

D2. This comic actor was born in Ottawa on Canada Day, and
his dad was a policy advisor to Prime Minister Pierre
Trudeau. He won his first Emmy for writing on the
long-running show with which he is most associated.

* E. Ottawa on the Page

E1. This Ottawa-born broadcaster, despite never having actually
published a book, is synonymous with Canadian books and
writers. Who?

E2. This Ottawa-born writer spent many years of her childhood in
northern Canada on her entomologist father's research trips,
and her early work is very much connected with the North.
She is also known as an inventor. Who?

* F. Ottawa on the Airwaves

F1. Born in 1974 into a military family, this artist hit big with
her third record, which went on to sell over 33,000,000
copies. Rolling Stone dubbed her the "Queen of Alt-Rock
Angst". Who?

F2. Inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame last
year, this Ottawa native has been called "a latter-day
wandering minstrel" for the passion and politics he brings
to his music. Who?

--
Mark Brader | "Design an idiot-proof system, and the universe
Toronto | will spontaneously evolve a higher grade of idiot

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 26, 2018, 4:03:55 AM7/26/18

7

1

> 3. Taiwan.

18

3

5

6

> 7. Namibia.

13

2

9

> 10. Fiji.

11

> 12. Fhevanzr.

8

Dan Blum

Jul 26, 2018, 9:53:48 AM7/26/18

1

6

> 3. Taiwan.

3; 18

> 4. Hong Kong.

18; 3

4

> 6. Jamaica.

7; 5

> 7. Namibia.

13; 8

> 8. New Zealand.

12

> 9. Brunei.

16

> 10. Fiji.

5; 10

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Boring Bytown? We Think Not!

> * A. City-Building

> A1. In what year, within 3, was the town of Bytown incorporated
> as the City of Ottawa?

1840; 1850

> * B. Ottawa Senators

> B1. Name the year, within 1, when NHL hockey returned to Ottawa
> after a 60-year lapse in the form of the new Ottawa Senators.

2000; 2010

> * F. Ottawa on the Airwaves

> F1. Born in 1974 into a military family, this artist hit big with
> her third record, which went on to sell over 33,000,000
> copies. Rolling Stone dubbed her the "Queen of Alt-Rock
> Angst". Who?

Alanis Morissette

> F2. Inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame last
> year, this Ottawa native has been called "a latter-day
> wandering minstrel" for the passion and politics he brings
> to his music. Who?

Tom Connors

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Pete Gayde

Jul 26, 2018, 2:50:04 PM7/26/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:_rmdnd-XZqfdycTGnZ2dnUU7-
QXN...@giganews.com:

1

5

> 3. Taiwan.

18

3

9

> 6. Jamaica.

14

> 7. Namibia.

13

> 8. New Zealand.

12

> 9. Brunei.

16

2

7

> 14. Oryvmr.
> 15. Gevavqnq & Gbontb.
> 16. Thlnan.
> 17. Pnlzna Vf.

15

> 18. Fbybzba Vf.
>

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Boring Bytown? We Think Not!
>
> * A. City-Building
>
> A1. In what year, within 3, was the town of Bytown incorporated
> as the City of Ottawa?

1880; 1897

> A2. Bytown was itself built upon an earlier farming village.
> What was it called?
>

> * B. Ottawa Senators
>
> B1. Name the year, within 1, when NHL hockey returned to Ottawa
> after a 60-year lapse in the form of the new Ottawa Senators.

1990; 1987

> B2. The new Senators won their first game 5-3 -- over which team?
> Either city or team name will do provided that it's
> unambiguous.

Buffalo; Boston
Pete Gayde

Calvin

Jul 26, 2018, 9:19:38 PM7/26/18

1

6

> 3. Taiwan.

18

3

9

> 6. Jamaica.

4, 13

> 7. Namibia.

5, 11

> 8. New Zealand.

12

> 9. Brunei.

16

2

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Boring Bytown? We Think Not!

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Jul 27, 2018, 12:33:13 AM7/27/18

1

6

> 3. Taiwan.

18

3

9

> 6. Jamaica.

15; 11

> 7. Namibia.

8; 13

> 8. New Zealand.

11; 15

> 9. Brunei.

16

2

7

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Boring Bytown? We Think Not!
>
> * B. Ottawa Senators
>
> B1. Name the year, within 1, when NHL hockey returned to Ottawa
> after a 60-year lapse in the form of the new Ottawa Senators.

1992

> * C. Ottawa Water
>
> C2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. In winter, parts of the Rideau
> Canal become one of the longest skating trails in the world.
> How long is it, within 25% of the true answer?

75 miles

> * F. Ottawa on the Airwaves
>
> F1. Born in 1974 into a military family, this artist hit big with
> her third record, which went on to sell over 33,000,000
> copies. Rolling Stone dubbed her the "Queen of Alt-Rock
> Angst". Who?

Alanis Morissette

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Jul 28, 2018, 5:04:06 AM7/28/18

1

6

> 3. Taiwan.

18

3

> 5. Singapore.

17

> 6. Jamaica.

15

> 7. Namibia.

13

> 8. New Zealand.

12

> 9. Brunei.

16

2

> So there were 8 decoys, not all of which are countries. Decode the
> rot13 if you'd like to see their names and identify their currencies
> for fun, but for no points.
>
> 11. Orezhqn.
> 12. Fhevanzr.
> 13. Onunznf.

7 (there's a map in the background)
Dan Tilque

Jason Kreitzer

Jul 28, 2018, 6:02:42 PM7/28/18
On Thursday, July 26, 2018 at 12:55:33 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of What She Said and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 1, Round 9 - Geography - Which Dollar?
>
> Over 20 countries refer to their currency as "the dollar". For each
> one we name, give the number of the corresponding illustration on
> the handout at:
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/1-9/doll.jpg
>
> 1. Australia.
1.
> 2. Liberia.
10.
> 3. Taiwan.
3.
> 4. Hong Kong.
18.
> 5. Singapore.
5.
> 6. Jamaica.
6.
> 7. Namibia.
16.
> 8. New Zealand.
12.
> 9. Brunei.
9.
Fiona Apple?

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2018, 3:25:17 AM7/29/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-05-14,
> see my 2018-07-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

So Game 1 is over, and the winner is JOSHUA KREITZER. Congratulations!

#1. ("Banjo" Paterson was the author of "Waltzing Matilda".)
4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Joshua, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

#6. (The bill is styled much like American money, and the country
was founded by Americans as a home for American former slaves.)
4 for Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

#18. (That's Sun Yat Sen.) 4 for Erland, Pete, Calvin, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque. 2 for Dan Blum.

#3. 4 for Erland, Pete, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Dan Blum.

#9. (Notice the letters SG at left!) 4 for Pete, Calvin, and Joshua.

#4. (I guess it would help if you knew where Doctor's Cave Beach is.)
3 for Calvin.

#13. 4 for Erland, Pete, and Dan Tilque. 3 for Dan Blum.
2 for Joshua.

#12. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Jason.

#16. (The name of the country *is* sometimes seen as Brunei
Darussalam, after all.) 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Calvin, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque.

#2. 4 for Pete, Calvin, Joshua, and Dan Tilque.

#5.

#8. Erland got this.

#7. (As Dan Tilque noted, this one includes a map!) Pete, Joshua,
and Dan Tilque got this.

#17.

#14.

#10.

#15. Pete got this.

#11.

> ** Game 1, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Boring Bytown? We Think Not!

In the original game none of the numerical questions in this round
had leeway ranges. I have added them, but left the other difficult
questions alone.

> * A. City-Building

> A1. In what year, within 3, was the town of Bytown incorporated
> as the City of Ottawa?

1855 (accepting 1852-58; but since nobody got that, I scored answers
within 6 as "almost correct"). 1 for Dan Blum.

> A2. Bytown was itself built upon an earlier farming village.
> What was it called?

Wrightsville. Also accepting Richmond Landing.

> * B. Ottawa Senators

> B1. Name the year, within 1, when NHL hockey returned to Ottawa
> after a 60-year lapse in the form of the new Ottawa Senators.

1992 (accepting 1991-93). 4 for Joshua.

> B2. The new Senators won their first game 5-3 -- over which team?
> Either city or team name will do provided that it's
> unambiguous.

Montreal Canadiens.

> * C. Ottawa Water

> C1. Ottawa sits at the confluence of three rivers. Name *all
> three*. (If you give two guesses, please keep them clear
> by giving the full list of three names each time.)

Ottawa, Gatineau, Rideau.

> C2. Please decode the rot13 only after you have finished
> with the previous question. In winter, parts of the Rideau
> Canal become one of the longest skating trails in the world.
> How long is it, within 25% of the true answer?

7.8 km (accepting 5.85-9.75 km or 3.63-6.06 miles).

Nobody came within twice the allowed leeway. In the original game,
though, *no* leeway was allowed on this one!

> * D. Ottawa on the Screen

> D1. This Ottawa-born actor is the voice of Hiccup in the "How to
> Train Your Dragon" franchise, and also starred in Judd
> Apatow's series "Undeclared". Who is he?

Jay Baruchel.

> D2. This comic actor was born in Ottawa on Canada Day, and
> his dad was a policy advisor to Prime Minister Pierre
> Trudeau. He won his first Emmy for writing on the
> long-running show with which he is most associated.

Dan Aykroyd. ("Saturday Night Live".)

> * E. Ottawa on the Page

> E1. This Ottawa-born broadcaster, despite never having actually
> published a book, is synonymous with Canadian books and
> writers. Who?

Shelagh Rogers (host of "The Next Chapter" on CBC radio).

("Synonymous" with books? A *radio* hostess? Sheesh!)

> E2. This Ottawa-born writer spent many years of her childhood in
> northern Canada on her entomologist father's research trips,
> and her early work is very much connected with the North.
> She is also known as an inventor. Who?

Margaret Atwood.

> * F. Ottawa on the Airwaves

> F1. Born in 1974 into a military family, this artist hit big with
> her third record, which went on to sell over 33,000,000
> copies. Rolling Stone dubbed her the "Queen of Alt-Rock
> Angst". Who?

Alanis Morissette. 4 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> F2. Inducted into the Canadian Songwriters Hall of Fame last
> year, this Ottawa native has been called "a latter-day
> wandering minstrel" for the passion and politics he brings
> to his music. Who?

Bruce Cockburn ["KO-burn"].

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 1 ROUNDS-> 2 3 5 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo His Spo Sci Ent Lit Geo Cha SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 17 4 24 28 32 12 30 8 143
Dan Blum 11 16 0 20 16 40 23 5 126
Dan Tilque 0 12 0 28 0 24 32 0 96
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 36 8 24 4 8 0 80
Pete Gayde 11 8 0 12 4 0 32 0 67
"Calvin" -- -- 0 8 8 4 35 0 55
Peter Smyth -- -- -- -- 24 28 -- -- 52
Bruce Bowler -- -- 0 32 -- -- -- -- 32
Erland Sommarskog 4 0 -- -- -- -- 12 0 16

--
Mark Brader "Remember, this is Mark we're dealing with.
Toronto Rationality and fact won't work very well."

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 29, 2018, 4:55:39 AM7/29/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 5. Singapore.
>
> #9. (Notice the letters SG at left!)

Not only that, if you look in the red field above SG50, you find a text
which includes Singapura. Not that it helped me, since I lured myself
to think that a person on a Singapore bill would have a Chinese name.

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2018, 5:18:49 AM7/29/18
Mark Brader:
>>> 5. Singapore.
>>
>> #9. (Notice the letters SG at left!)

Erland Sommarskog:
> Not only that, if you look in the red field above SG50, you find a text
> which includes Singapura.

Hah, so it does.

> Not that it helped me...

(Evil grin)
--
Mark Brader | "The net exists to be used. It is a powerful tool
m...@vex.net | and as long as people treat it as a tool and not a toy

Dan Tilque

Jul 29, 2018, 3:19:21 PM7/29/18
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>>> 5. Singapore.
>> #9. (Notice the letters SG at left!)
>
> Not only that, if you look in the red field above SG50, you find a text
> which includes Singapura.

I did not notice that, but the Australian $10 note has the word
"Australian" in text on its left side. It's hard to read because of the
swirling background, but that one I did notice.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jul 29, 2018, 4:03:28 PM7/29/18
Dan Tilque:
> I did not notice that, but the Australian $10 note has the word
> "Australian" in text on its left side. It's hard to read because of the
> swirling background, but that one I did notice.

Also "Waltzing Matilda" behind the large digits "10", or rather "1o".
Huh.
--
Mark Brader | [This technology] might help solve the chronic problem...
Toronto | of getting the registered voters to actually vote!