Rotatig Quiz #281: this day in history

14 vues

swp

non lue,
31 janv. 2018, 22:44:5231/01/2018
this is rotating quiz #281. today is january 31st, 2018. if you are lucky enough to see it, tonight you have the opportunity to see a super blue blood moon. ordering the words differently just sounds wrong.

my thanks to Mark Brader for hosting a contest that I was capable of winning without knowing the pattern or theme he had chosen.

the winner will be the first choice to set rq 282, in a manner of their choosing.

please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.

answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2018-02-07, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.

in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

for answer [a-m] correct answers are worth 2 points each, answers within 3 years either way are worth 1 point each.

the theme is: this day in history - january 31st

have fun!

a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the catholic church?
b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament and king james?
c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?
d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment, abolishing slavery in the usa?
e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?
f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born?
g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?
h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?
i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a federal republic
j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die?
k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?
l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?
m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?
n. january 31st is a christian feast day - catholic, episcopal, and eastern orthodox. for 1 point each name as many of the christian feasts that are celebrated on january 31st as you can.

good luck!

swp

Dan Blum

non lue,
31 janv. 2018, 22:48:5831/01/2018
swp <stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the catholic church?

672

> b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament and king james?

1672

> c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?

1772

> d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment, abolishing slavery in the usa?

1865

> e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?

1889

> f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born?

1930

> g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?

1931

> h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?

1950

> i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a federal republic

1982

> j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die?

1975

> k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?

1956

> l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?

1959

> m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?

1974

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

non lue,
1 févr. 2018, 00:53:0601/02/2018
Stephen Perry:
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time)
> on wednesday, 2018-02-07...

Wrong time zone.

> a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the
> catholic church?

1000?

> b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament
> and king james?

1625?

> c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?

1550?

> d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment,
> abolishing slavery in the usa?

1865. Of course, it was only effective once ratified.

> e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?

1890?

> f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born?

1925?

> g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?

1932?

> h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?

1960?

> i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a
> federal republic

1991?

> j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die?

1975?

> k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?

1960?

> l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space
> (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?

Wasn't Yuri Gagarin the first primate in space?
For Ham I'll say 1961.

> m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?

1990?
--
Mark Brader "How can we believe that?"
Toronto "Because this time it's true!"

Erland Sommarskog

non lue,
1 févr. 2018, 01:35:1501/02/2018
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the
> catholic church?

765

> b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament
> and king james?

1607

> c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?

1612

> d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment,
> abolishing slavery in the usa?

1861

> e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?

1931

> f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born?

1922

> g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?

1929

> h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?

1925

> i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a
> federal republic

1948

> j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die?

1898

> k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?

1967

> l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space
> (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?

1987

> m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?

1967

Mark Brader

non lue,
1 févr. 2018, 04:27:4001/02/2018
I kinda wish I'd done

http://www.sporcle.com/games/SporcleEXP/on-this-day-january-31st

*before* I entered this quiz, instead of after.
--
Mark Brader "I suppose that the distances from us [to the
Toronto stars] vary so much that some are two or three

Peter Smyth

non lue,
1 févr. 2018, 13:06:3201/02/2018
swp wrote:

> this is rotating quiz #281. today is january 31st, 2018. if you are lucky enough to see it, tonight you have the opportunity to see a super blue blood moon. ordering the words differently just sounds wrong.
>
> my thanks to Mark Brader for hosting a contest that I was capable of winning without knowing the pattern or theme he had chosen.
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 282, in a manner of their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on wednesday, 2018-02-07, which gives all of you a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> for answer [a-m] correct answers are worth 2 points each, answers within 3 years either way are worth 1 point each.
>
> the theme is: this day in history - january 31st
>
> have fun!
>
> a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the catholic church?
1342
> b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament and king james?
1606
> c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?
1672
> d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment, abolishing slavery in the usa?
1865
> e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?
1941
> f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born?
1941
> g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?
1912
> h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?
1929
> i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a federal republic
1997
> j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die?
1986
> k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?
1986
> l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?
1956
> m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?
1974
> n. january 31st is a christian feast day - catholic, episcopal, and eastern orthodox. for 1 point each name as many of the christian feasts that are celebrated on january 31st as you can.

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

non lue,
1 févr. 2018, 23:58:0801/02/2018
swp wrote:

> a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the catholic church?

62 A.D.

> b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament and king james?

1607

> c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?
> d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment, abolishing slavery in the usa?

1863

> e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?

1874

> f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born?

1922

> g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?

1828

> h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?

1938

> i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a federal republic

1946

> j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die?

1949

> k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?

1954

> l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?

1958

> m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?

1965

> n. january 31st is a christian feast day - catholic, episcopal, and eastern orthodox. for 1 point each name as many of the christian feasts that are celebrated on january 31st as you can.

--
Dan Tilque

swp

non lue,
15 févr. 2018, 19:17:4915/02/2018
I have the flu. it sucks.

please randomly assign a winner. or check the answers here and discuss.
[...]

a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of the catholic church? [314]
b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against parliament and king james? [1606]
c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established? [1609]
d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment, abolishing slavery in the usa? [1865]
e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born? [1872]
f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer born? [1923]
g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky? [1929]
h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born? [1938]
i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become a federal republic [1946]
j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne die? [1956, he created Winnie-the-Pooh]
k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished? [1957]
l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in space (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2? [1961]
m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia? [1968]
n. january 31st is a christian feast day - catholic, episcopal, and eastern orthodox. for 1 point each name as many of the christian feasts that are celebrated on january 31st as you can.
Domitius (Domice) of Amiens
Francis Xavier Bianchi
Geminianus
John Bosco
Julius of Novara
Blessed Ludovica
Máedóc (Mogue, Aiden)
Marcella
Samuel Shoemaker (Episcopal Church (USA))
Tysul
Ulphia
Wilgils
January 31 (Eastern Orthodox liturgics)

swp

Mark Brader

non lue,
15 févr. 2018, 22:09:1815/02/2018
Stephen Perry:
> I have the flu. it sucks.

It also coughs, sneezes, upsets your digestive tract, and so on.
Get well soon, eh?

> please randomly assign a winner. or check the answers here and discuss.

From the answers that Stephen has posted, the winner is Dan Tilque
and it isn't close. Hearty congratulations, if I may say so!

> correct answers are worth 2 points each, answers within 3 years either
> way are worth 1 point each.

> a. in what year did saint silvester i begin his reign as pope of
> the catholic church?

314. Dan Tilque was closest at 252 years off, but you needed to be
within, y'know, 3 years to score.

> b. in what year was guy fawkes executed for plotting against
> parliament and king james?

1606. 2 for Peter. 1 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> c. in what year was wisselbank of amsterdam established?

1609. 1 for Erland.

> d. in what year did the u.s. congress pass the 13th amendment,
> abolishing slavery in the usa?

1865. 2 for Dan Blum, Mark, and Peter. 1 for Dan Tilque.

(As I noted, slavery wasn't actually abolished until the amendment
was ratified, which was later the same year. Actually even then it
wasn't totally abolished; it's still constitutional in the US for
convicts to be used as slaves.)

> e. in what year was american author Zane Grey born?

1872. 1 for Dan Tilque.

> f. in what year was american journalist and author norman mailer
> born?

1923. 1 for Dan Tilque, Mark, and Erland.

> g. in what year did the soviet union exile leon trotsky?

1929. 2 for Erland. 1 for Dan Blum and Mark.

> h. in what year was queen beatrix of the netherlands born?

1938. 2 for Dan Tilque.

> i. in what year did yugoslavia adopt a new constitution and become
> a federal republic

1946. 2 for Dan Tilque. 1 for Erland.

> j. in what year did english author, poet, and playwright a.a. milne
> die?

1956. Dan Tilque was closest at 7 years off.

> k. in what year was the trans-iranian oil pipe line finished?

1957. 1 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Mark.

> l. in what year did ham the chimpanzee become the 1st primate in
> space (158 miles) aboard mercury/redstone 2?

1961. 2 for Mark. 1 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

(No, Yuri Gagarin was not the first primate in space as I thought.
Ham flew couple of months earlier.)

> m. in what year did nauru gain independence from australia?

1968. 1 for Dan Tilque and Erland.

> n. january 31st is a christian feast day - catholic, episcopal,
> and eastern orthodox. for 1 point each name as many of the
> christian feasts that are celebrated on january 31st as you can.

Domitius (Domice) of Amiens, Francis Xavier Bianchi, Geminianus, John
Bosco, Julius of Novara, Blessed Ludovica, Máedóc, Marcella, Samuel
Shoemaker, Tysul, Ulphia, Wilgils, January 31. Nobody tried this.

Scores, if there are no errors:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 TOTALS

Dan Tilque 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 2 2 0 1 1 1 0 11
Mark Brader 0 0 0 2 0 1 1 0 0 0 1 2 0 0 7
Erland Sommarskog 0 1 1 0 0 1 2 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 7
Dan Blum 0 0 0 2 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 5
Peter Smyth 0 2 0 2 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 4

0 4 1 7 1 3 4 2 3 0 3 4 2 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are geeks. Resistance is voltage over current."
m...@vex.net | --Greg Goss

Dan Tilque

non lue,
16 févr. 2018, 07:37:1016/02/2018
Mark Brader wrote:
> Stephen Perry:
>> I have the flu. it sucks.

Sorry to hear that. Hope you're feeling better soon.

> From the answers that Stephen has posted, the winner is Dan Tilque
> and it isn't close. Hearty congratulations, if I may say so!

Thank you very much.

Unlike the last time I posed the rotating quiz, I don't have anything
prepared ahead of time. It may be a day or three before I get something
together.

--
Dan Tilque
0 nouveau message