QFTCIMM16 Game 7, Rounds 7-8: celeb AKAs, Canquotes

Mark Brader

Feb 16, 2017, 11:04:49 PM2/16/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names

The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
artists.

1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
singer's stage name?

3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
please.)

4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
shirt, the fans call him...?

5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....

6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
What's his nickname?

7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
"Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?

8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
What was "Bird"'s real name?

10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
More than one word required.

* Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians

1. Which Prime Minister said: "Living next to you is in some
ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly
and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is
affected by every twitch and grunt."

2. Which Prime Minister said: "As we enter our centennial year
we are still a young nation, very much in the formative stages.
Our national condition is still flexible enough that we can
make almost anything we wish of our nation."

3. Name the artist and author who said: "There are few, if any,
Canadian men that have never spelled their name in a snow bank."

4. Name the author and journalist who said: "A Canadian is someone
who knows how to make love in a canoe."

5. On October 13, 1970, when reporter Tim Ralfe asked Pierre
Trudeau how far he was willing to go to deal with the FLQ,
what was his 3-word answer?

6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
"I've been called worse things by better people"?

7. "Not necessarily conscription, but conscription if necessary."
Name the Prime Minister who uttered this famous quote.

8. Which BC premier was future Prime Minister Kim Campbell talking
about when she said, "Charisma without substance can be a
dangerous thing"?

9. "Coming from Canada, being a writer and Jewish as well,
I have impeccable paranoia credentials." Which Giller Prize
and Governor-General's Award winner said that?

10. "The US is our trading partner, our neighbor, our ally, and
our friend... and sometimes we'd like to give them such a smack!"
Which comedian and TV personality said that about America?

--
Mark Brader | "One reason that life is complex is that it has
Toronto | a real part and an imaginary part."

Calvin

Feb 16, 2017, 11:48:05 PM2/16/17
On Friday, February 17, 2017 at 2:04:49 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

Pink

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holliday

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)

Jagger and Richards

> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?
>
> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?

Flea

> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?
>
> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

50 cent, Ice T

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians

Pass

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 17, 2017, 1:16:45 AM2/17/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1O-dnXiie43B6zvFnZ2dnUU7-
fXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

Pink

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holliday

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)

Jagger and Richards

> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?

Iggy Pop

> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....

The Weeknd

> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?

Flea

> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?

TLC

> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

Andre 3000

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians
>
> 6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
> "I've been called worse things by better people"?

Richard Nixon

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Feb 17, 2017, 9:17:17 AM2/17/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names

> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

Pink

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billy Holliday

> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

Andre 3000

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians

> 1. Which Prime Minister said: "Living next to you is in some
> ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly
> and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is
> affected by every twitch and grunt."

Pierre Trudeau

> 5. On October 13, 1970, when reporter Tim Ralfe asked Pierre
> Trudeau how far he was willing to go to deal with the FLQ,
> what was his 3-word answer?

all the way

> 6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
> "I've been called worse things by better people"?

Richard Nixon

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 17, 2017, 2:42:18 PM2/17/17
In article <1O-dnXiie43B6zvF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?
Pink

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?
Billie Holiday

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)
>
> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?
>
> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?
>
> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?
>
> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.
Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?
Charlie Parker
Richler

> 10. "The US is our trading partner, our neighbor, our ally, and
> our friend... and sometimes we'd like to give them such a smack!"
> Which comedian and TV personality said that about America?

Pete Gayde

Feb 17, 2017, 3:23:27 PM2/17/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:1O-dnXiie43B6zvFnZ2dnUU7-
fXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

Mariah Carey

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holiday

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)
>
> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?

Iggy Pop

> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?
>
> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?
>
> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

Snoop Dogg

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians
>
> 1. Which Prime Minister said: "Living next to you is in some
> ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly
> and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is
> affected by every twitch and grunt."

Diefenbaker

> 2. Which Prime Minister said: "As we enter our centennial year
> we are still a young nation, very much in the formative stages.
> Our national condition is still flexible enough that we can
> make almost anything we wish of our nation."

Diefenbaker

> 3. Name the artist and author who said: "There are few, if any,
> Canadian men that have never spelled their name in a snow bank."
>
> 4. Name the author and journalist who said: "A Canadian is someone
> who knows how to make love in a canoe."
>
> 5. On October 13, 1970, when reporter Tim Ralfe asked Pierre
> Trudeau how far he was willing to go to deal with the FLQ,
> what was his 3-word answer?

All the way

> 6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
> "I've been called worse things by better people"?

Nixon

> 7. "Not necessarily conscription, but conscription if necessary."
> Name the Prime Minister who uttered this famous quote.

MacDonald

> 8. Which BC premier was future Prime Minister Kim Campbell talking
> about when she said, "Charisma without substance can be a
> dangerous thing"?
>
> 9. "Coming from Canada, being a writer and Jewish as well,
> I have impeccable paranoia credentials." Which Giller Prize
> and Governor-General's Award winner said that?

David Steinberg

> 10. "The US is our trading partner, our neighbor, our ally, and
> our friend... and sometimes we'd like to give them such a smack!"
> Which comedian and TV personality said that about America?

David Steinberg

Pete Gayde

Don Piven

Feb 17, 2017, 3:33:58 PM2/17/17
On 2/16/17 22:04, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?
>
> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holiday.

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)

Richards, Jagger.

> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?

Iggy Pop.

> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?

Flea. (RS readers don't seem to be known for their discernment.)

> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?

> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury.

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charles Mingus.

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.
>

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians
>
> 1. Which Prime Minister said: "Living next to you is in some
> ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly
> and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is
> affected by every twitch and grunt."
>
> 2. Which Prime Minister said: "As we enter our centennial year
> we are still a young nation, very much in the formative stages.
> Our national condition is still flexible enough that we can
> make almost anything we wish of our nation."
>
> 3. Name the artist and author who said: "There are few, if any,
> Canadian men that have never spelled their name in a snow bank."
>
> 4. Name the author and journalist who said: "A Canadian is someone
> who knows how to make love in a canoe."
>
> 5. On October 13, 1970, when reporter Tim Ralfe asked Pierre
> Trudeau how far he was willing to go to deal with the FLQ,
> what was his 3-word answer?

Just watch me.

> 6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
> "I've been called worse things by better people"?

Richard Nixon.

Peter Smyth

Feb 17, 2017, 4:44:59 PM2/17/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?
Pink
> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?
Billie Holiday
> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)
>
> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?
>
> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?
Flea
> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?
TLC
> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.
Freddie Mercury
> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?
>
> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Feb 18, 2017, 4:28:17 AM2/18/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?
>
> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Ella Fitzgerald

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)
>
> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?
>
> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?
>
> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?
>
> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddy Mercury
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 18, 2017, 5:23:08 PM2/18/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holiday

> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?

Flea

> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker

Gareth Owen

Feb 18, 2017, 6:58:22 PM2/18/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

P!nk

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holiday

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)

Jagger / Richards

> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?

Iggy Pop

> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....

The Weeknd

> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?

Flea

> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?

TLC

> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

Andre 3000

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians
>
> 1. Which Prime Minister said: "Living next to you is in some
> ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly
> and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is
> affected by every twitch and grunt."

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 2. Which Prime Minister said: "As we enter our centennial year
> we are still a young nation, very much in the formative stages.
> Our national condition is still flexible enough that we can
> make almost anything we wish of our nation."

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 3. Name the artist and author who said: "There are few, if any,
> Canadian men that have never spelled their name in a snow bank."

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 4. Name the author and journalist who said: "A Canadian is someone
> who knows how to make love in a canoe."

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 5. On October 13, 1970, when reporter Tim Ralfe asked Pierre
> Trudeau how far he was willing to go to deal with the FLQ,
> what was his 3-word answer?

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
> "I've been called worse things by better people"?

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 7. "Not necessarily conscription, but conscription if necessary."
> Name the Prime Minister who uttered this famous quote.

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 8. Which BC premier was future Prime Minister Kim Campbell talking
> about when she said, "Charisma without substance can be a
> dangerous thing"?

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 9. "Coming from Canada, being a writer and Jewish as well,
> I have impeccable paranoia credentials." Which Giller Prize
> and Governor-General's Award winner said that?

Trudeau, other Trudeau

> 10. "The US is our trading partner, our neighbor, our ally, and
> our friend... and sometimes we'd like to give them such a smack!"
> Which comedian and TV personality said that about America?

Trudeau, other Trudeau

Mark Brader

Feb 18, 2017, 7:05:06 PM2/18/17
Gareth Owen:
> Trudeau, other Trudeau

I will score these answers as if they read "Trudeau, Trudeau", which
necessarily scores the same as just "Trudeau".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "I can't tell from this... whether you're
m...@vex.net | a wise man or a wise guy." --Ted Schuerzinger

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 19, 2017, 12:48:25 AM2/19/17
On Thursday, February 16, 2017 at 11:04:49 PM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names
>
> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.
>
> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?
P!nk
> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?
Billie Holiday
> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)
Jagger and Richards
> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?
Iggy Pop
> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....
>
> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?
Flea
> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?
TLC
> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.
Freddie Mercury
> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?
Charlie Parker
> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.
Big Boi
Leonard Cohen

Mark Brader

Feb 20, 2017, 1:00:31 AM2/20/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-07,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7, Round 7 - Entertainment - Nicknames & Stage Names

> The questions deal with nicknames and stage names of musical
> artists.

> 1. Born Alecia Beth Moore in 1979, she was recognized by Billboard
> in 2009 as the Pop Songs Artist of the Decade. She got her stage
> name from a character in the film "Reservoir Dogs". What is it?

Pink (or P!nk). 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Peter,
Gareth, and Jason.

> 2. They called her Lady Day, as a nickname. What was this jazz
> singer's stage name?

Billie Holiday. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Don,
Peter, Erland, Gareth, and Jason.

> 3. When they produce albums together, they go by the moniker "the
> Glimmer Twins". Who are the Glimmer Twins? (Two surnames,
> please.)

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Don, Gareth,
and Jason.

> 4. Born in Michigan in 1947. His passport says he's James Newell
> Osterberg Jr. But when he gets up on stage and takes off his
> shirt, the fans call him...?

Iggy Pop. 4 for Joshua, Pete, Don, Gareth, and Jason.

> 5. On the attendance sheet at Birchmount Collegiate, he was Abel
> Makkonen Tesfaye. But on the Billboard charts, he is....

The Weeknd ["Weekend"]. 4 for Joshua and Gareth.

> 6. Rolling Stones readers chose Michael Peter Balzary as the
> second-greatest bass player of all time. He was born in
> Australia, but plays for the quintessential L.A. band.
> What's his nickname?

Flea. (Red Hot Chili Peppers.) 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Don, Peter,
Erland, Gareth, and Jason.

> 7. Lisa "Left-Eye" Lopes lived up to her moniker by wearing a
> condom over the left lens of her glasses as a plug for safe sex.
> Her 1990s girl group brought us the hits "No Scrubs" and
> "Chasing Waterfalls". For what group did "Left-Eye" perform?

TLC. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Gareth, and Jason.

> 8. He was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar, 1946; he died in
> London, 1991. Thanks largely to his 4-octave vocal range,
> his group ruled the airwaves through much of the 1970s and '80s.

Freddie Mercury. (Queen.) 4 for everyone -- Calvin, Joshua,
Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Don, Peter, Dan Tilque, Erland, Gareth,
and Jason.

> 9. Virtuoso saxophonist "Bird" was a pioneer of be-bop music.
> What was "Bird"'s real name?

Charlie Parker. 4 for Calvin, Joshua, Dan Blum, Marc, Pete, Erland,
Gareth, and Jason.

> 10. This rapper, whose real last name is Benjamin, formed half
> of the band Outkast till setting out in new directions as a solo
> artist, actor, and fashionista. By what name is he better known?
> More than one word required.

Andre 3000. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Gareth.

> * Game 7, Round 8 - Canadiana - Quotes by Canadians

This was the easiest round in the original game.

> 1. Which Prime Minister said: "Living next to you is in some
> ways like sleeping with an elephant. No matter how friendly
> and even-tempered is the beast, if I can call it that, one is
> affected by every twitch and grunt."

Pierre Trudeau. In the original game the surname alone was generously
accepted, and I'll conform to that here. 4 for Dan Blum and Gareth
(the hard way).

> 2. Which Prime Minister said: "As we enter our centennial year
> we are still a young nation, very much in the formative stages.
> Our national condition is still flexible enough that we can
> make almost anything we wish of our nation."

Lester Pearson.

> 3. Name the artist and author who said: "There are few, if any,
> Canadian men that have never spelled their name in a snow bank."

Douglas Coupland.

> 4. Name the author and journalist who said: "A Canadian is someone
> who knows how to make love in a canoe."

Pierre Berton.

> 5. On October 13, 1970, when reporter Tim Ralfe asked Pierre
> Trudeau how far he was willing to go to deal with the FLQ,
> what was his 3-word answer?

"Just watch me." 4 for Don.

> 6. Which American was Pierre Trudeau referring to when he said
> "I've been called worse things by better people"?

Richard Nixon. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Pete, and Don.

> 7. "Not necessarily conscription, but conscription if necessary."
> Name the Prime Minister who uttered this famous quote.

William Lyon Mackenzie King.

> 8. Which BC premier was future Prime Minister Kim Campbell talking
> about when she said, "Charisma without substance can be a
> dangerous thing"?

Bill Vander Zalm.

> 9. "Coming from Canada, being a writer and Jewish as well,
> I have impeccable paranoia credentials." Which Giller Prize
> and Governor-General's Award winner said that?

Mordecai Richler. 4 for Marc.

> 10. "The US is our trading partner, our neighbor, our ally, and
> our friend... and sometimes we'd like to give them such a smack!"
> Which comedian and TV personality said that about America?

Rick Mercer.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 7 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo His Lit Ent Can FOUR
Gareth Owen 0 30 26 32 40 4 128
Joshua Kreitzer 23 16 28 28 40 4 119
Pete Gayde 24 27 28 8 16 4 95
Dan Blum 26 10 20 28 20 8 94
Dan Tilque 28 20 32 8 4 0 88
"Calvin" 15 24 17 21 24 0 86
Peter Smyth 12 31 14 12 20 0 77
Marc Dashevsky 20 12 20 20 16 4 76
Erland Sommarskog 24 8 16 3 16 0 64
Jason Kreitzer 0 0 8 8 32 0 48
Don Piven -- -- -- -- 20 8 28
Bruce Bowler -- -- 12 4 -- -- 16

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | I still remember the first time his reality check
m...@vex.net | bounced. -- Darlene Richards