QFTCIMM16 Game 8, Rounds 9-10: be-cities

Mark Brader

Mar 4, 2017, 12:34:21 AM3/4/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words

Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
will be accepted for full points.

1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.

2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
unable to move.

11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?

** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities

* A. Entertainment: Soap Operas

For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?

A1. "The Young and the Restless".
A2. "All My Children".

* B. Geography: African Capitals

B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.
B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.

* C. Sports: Major League Soccer

Name the city for each of these MLS teams.

C1. Earthquakes.
C2. Fire.

* D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area

D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
province?

D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

* E. History: Italian City-States

E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
family.

E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
of which country?

* F. Literature: Fictional Cities

F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.

F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
"Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Typos are a journalistic tradition of long
m...@vex.net | etaoin shrdlu. -- Truly Donovan

Dan Blum

Mar 4, 2017, 12:55:21 AM3/4/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words

> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.

belabor

> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

bethrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

bemoan

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

benighted

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

beset

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

berate

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

beholden

> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.

becalmed

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities

> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas

> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?

> A1. "The Young and the Restless".

Chicago; Los Angeles

> A2. "All My Children".

Los Angeles; New York City

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer

> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.

> C1. Earthquakes.

San Francisco

> C2. Fire.

Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area

> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Alberta; Manitoba

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Calgary

> * E. History: Italian City-States

> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Florence

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Austria

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities

> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.

Arrakis

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 4, 2017, 5:17:06 AM3/4/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

Beloved

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

Bemoan

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

Befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

Belittled

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.

Bujumbura

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.

San José (Chance had it that there was an article in my newspaper
this morning about a Swedish footballer who is returning home after
having played with San José for a while.)

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Québec

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Toronto

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Firenze

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Spain

Don Piven

Mar 4, 2017, 5:39:57 AM3/4/17
On 3/3/17 23:34, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.

Belabor

> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

Betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

Bemoan

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

Befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

Benighted

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

Beset

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

Berate

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

Bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

Beholden

> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.

Becalmed

> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?

Screwed.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".
>

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.
> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.
>

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.

Los Angeles

> C2. Fire.

Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Quebec

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Edmonton

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Florence

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Austria

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.

Arrakeen

> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

Ilium

Peter Smyth

Mar 4, 2017, 7:25:41 PM3/4/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.
Belabour
> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.
Betrothed
> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.
Bewail
> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.
Befriend
> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.
Befuddled
> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.
>
> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.
>
> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.
Bespoke
> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.
>
> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.
Becalmed
> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does not start with "be-" -- describes that situation?
Gapped

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".
>

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.
Lilongwe
> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.
Bujumbura

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.
San Francisco
> C2. Fire.
Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?
>
> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by area?
>

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.
Venice, Naples
> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?
Austria

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.
>
> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

Peter Smyth

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 4, 2017, 8:33:02 PM3/4/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ELCdnY4_l4ZKzCfFnZ2dnUU7-
SnN...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.

belabor

> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

bewail

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

bereft

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

beholden

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".

Llanview

> A2. "All My Children".

Llanview

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.

Bujumbura

> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.

Bujumbura

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.

San Jose

> C2. Fire.

Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Quebec; British Columbia

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Winnipeg; Regina

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Venice; Milan

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Austria

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.

Arrakis

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Mar 5, 2017, 1:36:23 AM3/5/17
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 12:34:21 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.
Belabor
> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.
Betrothed
> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.
Bemoan
> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.
>
> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.
>
> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.
Beset
> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.
Berate
> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.
>
> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.
>
> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.
>
> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".
>

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.
> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.
>

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.
> C2. Fire.
Chicago

Dan Tilque

Mar 5, 2017, 1:47:05 AM3/5/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.

belabor

> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

bewail

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

benighted

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

bedevil

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

berate

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

bespoken ??

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.
>
> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.

becalmed

> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".
>

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.
> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.
>

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.

San Jose

> C2. Fire.

Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Alberta

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Winnipeg

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Florence

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Spain

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.

Arakeen

> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Mar 5, 2017, 11:45:35 PM3/5/17
On Saturday, March 4, 2017 at 3:34:21 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.
>
> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

Betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.
>
> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

Befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

befuddled, bemused

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

Berate

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

Bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.
>
> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.

Becalmed

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".
>

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.

Maputo?

> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.

San Jose

> C2. Fire.

Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

BC, Alberta

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Edmonton, Winnipeg

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Florence

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Austria, Hungary

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.
>
> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

cheers,
calvin

Bruce

Mar 6, 2017, 9:23:51 AM3/6/17
On Fri, 03 Mar 2017 23:34:15 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the Old
> English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech will be
> accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.
>
> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

Betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

Bemoan

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.
>
> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.
>
> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

Beset

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

Belittle

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

Bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

Beholden

> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.

Becalmed

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 6, 2017, 11:31:33 AM3/6/17
In article <ELCdnY4_l4ZKzCfF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.
belabor

> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.
betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.
bemoan

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.
befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.
benighted

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.
bedevil

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.
berate

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.
bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.
bedebted?

> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.
becalmed

> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".
>

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.
> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.
>

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.
San Francisco

> C2. Fire.
Atlanta

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?
Saskatchewan

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?
>

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.
Florence

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?
>

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.
Arrakis

> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

Pete Gayde

Mar 6, 2017, 2:27:45 PM3/6/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ELCdnY4_l4ZKzCfFnZ2dnUU7-
SnN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words
>
> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.
>
> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.
>
> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

Betrothed

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

Bemoan

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

Befriend

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

Besotted

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

Bedevil

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

Belittle

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

Bespoke

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

Beholden

> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.
>
> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?
>

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities
>
> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas
>
> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?
>
> A1. "The Young and the Restless".
> A2. "All My Children".

Pine Valley

> * B. Geography: African Capitals
>
> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.

Kigali

> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.

Kigali

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer
>
> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.
>
> C1. Earthquakes.

San Jose

> C2. Fire.

Chicago

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area
>
> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Yukon; Alberta

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Winnipeg; Regina

> * E. History: Italian City-States
>
> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Florence

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

France; Spain

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities
>
> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.
>
> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 7, 2017, 1:35:08 AM3/7/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-11-14,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

Game 8 is over and the winner is DON PIVEN. Hearty congratulations!

> ** Game 8, Round 9 - Miscellaneous - "Be-" Words

> Many English words, like "behold" and "behoove", begin with the
> Old English prefix "be-". From a definition and the part of speech,
> you name the "be-" word. Note: only the correct part of speech
> will be accepted for full points.

> 1. Verb, meaning to elaborate or expound an argument excessively.

Belabor. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque,
and Marc.

> 2. Adjective, meaning engaged to be married.

Betrothed. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, Bruce, Marc, and Pete.

> 3. Verb, meaning to lament; express regret or sorrow.

Bemoan or bewail. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Don, Peter, Joshua, Jason,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, Marc, and Pete.

> 4. Verb, meaning to initiate amicable relations.

Befriend. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Don, Peter, Joshua, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, Marc, and Pete.

> 5. Adjective, meaning intellectually or morally ignorant.

Benighted. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 6. Verb, meaning to plague or afflict.

Bedevil or beset. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Jason, Dan Tilque, Bruce,
Marc, and Pete.

> 7. Verb, meaning to scold, rebuke, criticize.

Berate. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Jason, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Marc.

> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.

Bespoke. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, Marc,
and Pete. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 9. Adjective, meaning under an obligation or debt.

Beholden. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Joshua, Bruce, and Pete.

> 10. Adjective, used of a sailing ship deprived of wind and thus
> unable to move.

Becalmed. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Bruce,
and Marc.

> 11. Extra question for fun, but for no points: Just as sailing
> ships can become <answer 10>, electric trains on a third-rail
> system can similarly become unable to move if they stop exactly
> on a discontinuity in the third rail. What adjective -- no, it
> does *not* start with "be-" -- describes that situation?

Gapped. Peter got this.

> ** Game 8, Round 10 - Challenge Round - Cities

This was the hardest round in the original game and the 2nd-hardest
of the entire season.

> * A. Entertainment: Soap Operas

> For each of these soap operas, what city is it set in?

> A1. "The Young and the Restless".

Genoa City.

> A2. "All My Children".

Pine Valley. 4 for Pete.

> * B. Geography: African Capitals

> B1. Name the capital city of Malawi.

Lilongwe. 4 for Peter.

> B2. Name the capital city of Burundi.

Bujumbura. 4 for Erland, Peter, and Joshua.

> * C. Sports: Major League Soccer

> Name the city for each of these MLS teams.

> C1. Earthquakes.

San Jose. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Calvin, and Pete.

> C2. Fire.

Chicago. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Joshua, Jason, Dan Tilque,
Calvin, and Pete.

> * D. Canadiana: Largest Cities by Area

> D1. The 4 largest Canadian cities by area are found in which
> province?

Quebec. 4 for Erland and Don. 3 for Joshua.

> D2. Which provincial capital is largest by *area*?

Edmonton. 4 for Don. 3 for Calvin.

> * E. History: Italian City-States

> E1. Name the city which was the seat of power for the Medici
> family.

Florence. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Don, Dan Tilque, Calvin, Marc,
and Pete.

> E2. In 1525, Milan came under the control of the Hapsburg line --
> of which country?

Spain. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque. 2 for Pete.

> * F. Literature: Fictional Cities

> F1. Name the largest city and capital of the planet Dune.

Arrakeen. (Arrakis is wrong -- that *is* the planet, another name
for it. See the specially selected non-random signature quote.)
4 for Don and Dan Tilque.

> F2. Name the fictional New York (state) city that's the
> setting for a number of Kurt Vonnegut novels, including
> "Slaughterhouse-Five", "Cat's Cradle", and "Player Piano".

Ilium. 4 for Don.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Sci Ent His Mis Cha FIVE
Don Piven 36 19 40 -- -- 40 24 159
Dan Blum 28 6 35 35 16 40 8 154
Joshua Kreitzer 34 20 19 40 16 24 15 137
Dan Tilque 32 16 32 8 16 35 20 135
Pete Gayde 35 26 28 19 16 24 18 132
"Calvin" 35 23 16 0 14 20 15 109
Bruce Bowler 16 24 40 -- -- 24 0 104
Peter Smyth 20 24 24 -- -- 24 12 104
Erland Sommarskog 36 19 -- 0 8 8 20 91
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 40 -- -- 36 4 80
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- 28 16 20 4 68

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
"The recent explosion of tourism has ruined the

Dan Tilque

Mar 8, 2017, 1:15:18 AM3/8/17
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.
>
> Bespoke. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, Marc,
> and Pete. 3 for Dan Tilque.

Protest my only getting 3. See
htpps://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bespoke wherein it says:

"variants: or less commonly *bespoken*"

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 8, 2017, 12:57:00 PM3/8/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 8. Adjective, used for goods made to order, especially clothing.
>>
>> Bespoke. 4 for Dan Blum, Don, Peter, Joshua, Calvin, Bruce, Marc,
>> and Pete. 3 for Dan Tilque.

Dan Tilque:
> Protest my only getting 3. See
> htpps://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bespoke wherein it says:
>
> "variants: or less commonly *bespoken*"

Then you get the point, and lose it again for misspelling the URL. :-)

Scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 8 ROUNDS-> 2 3 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo Spo Sci Ent His Mis Cha FIVE
Don Piven 36 19 40 -- -- 40 24 159
Dan Blum 28 6 35 35 16 40 8 154
Joshua Kreitzer 34 20 19 40 16 24 15 137
Dan Tilque 32 16 32 8 16 36 20 136
Pete Gayde 35 26 28 19 16 24 18 132
"Calvin" 35 23 16 0 14 20 15 109
Bruce Bowler 16 24 40 -- -- 24 0 104
Peter Smyth 20 24 24 -- -- 24 12 104
Erland Sommarskog 36 19 -- 0 8 8 20 91
Marc Dashevsky -- -- 40 -- -- 36 4 80
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- 28 16 20 4 68

--
Mark Brader A real Canadian science-fiction plot would be
Toronto about whether alien visitors were a federal or