RQ 242

swp

Jan 17, 2017, 11:59:30 PM1/17/17

this is rotating quiz #243. today is january 17th, 2017. at least for a few more minutes...

the winner will be the first choice to set rq 244, in a manner of their choosing.

please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.

answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on saturday, 2017-01-28, which gives a lot of time from the time of this posting.

in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.

correct answers are worth 1 point each.

have fun!

1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?
2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?
5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?
7. how old is actress betty white?
8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?
9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?
10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?
11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?
12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?
13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?
14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?
15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7

good luck!

swp

swp

Jan 18, 2017, 12:00:34 AM1/18/17
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:59:30 PM UTC-5, swp typo'd:

Mark Brader

Jan 18, 2017, 2:21:24 AM1/18/17
Stephen Perry:
> this is rotating quiz #243.

"I don't think so, Tim."

> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

Tudor.

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?

Johnson.

> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?

Brando.

> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

Cernan.

> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?

Swift?

> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?

Ringling Brothers, Barnum & Bailey's circus.

> 7. how old is actress betty white?

95?

> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?

20 ounces?

> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?

"The Princess Bride"?

> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what
> 1973 movie?

"Sleeper"?

> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?

25?

> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

The 8 white pawns and the 2 white knights.

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?

Cleveland.

> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday
> january 16th?

Lewis?

> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the
> square root of ten, 22/7

Pi, 22/7, the square root of ten.
--
Mark Brader | Up until now, you have been told never to use
Toronto | the Goto. I use it. I use a revolver too, but

Dan Tilque

Jan 18, 2017, 4:49:54 AM1/18/17
swp wrote:

> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

Tudor

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

Eugene Cernan (RIP)

> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?

Ringling Bros. Circus

> 7. how old is actress betty white?
> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?
> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?
> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?

Sleeper

> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?
> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

king's knight and queen's knight

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?
> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?
> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7

pi, 22/7, sqrt(10)

--
Dan Tilque

Don Piven

Jan 18, 2017, 7:00:55 AM1/18/17
On 1/17/17 22:59, swp wrote:

> this is rotating quiz #243. today is january 17th, 2017. at least for a few more minutes...
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 244, in a manner of their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on saturday, 2017-01-28, which gives a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

Tudor

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

Eugene Cernan

> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?

Ringling Bros Barnum & Bailey Circus

> 7. how old is actress betty white?

95

> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?
> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?
> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?
> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?
> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

Pawn, knight.

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?

Cleveland

> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?

Chicago Cubs

> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7

22/7, pi, sqrt(10)

Dan Blum

Jan 18, 2017, 8:25:41 AM1/18/17
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

Tudor

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?

Neil Gaiman

> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?

Marlon Brando

> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

Gene Cernan

> 7. how old is actress betty white?

95

> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?

Stand By Me

> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?

Sleeper

> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

pawn and knight

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?

Cleveland

> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7

pi, 22/7, square root of ten

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Don Piven

Jan 18, 2017, 8:30:02 AM1/18/17
On 1/18/17 06:00, Don Piven wrote:
>> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the
>> square root of ten, 22/7
>
> 22/7, pi, sqrt(10)

Sheesh. Clearly my reading skills haven't caught up with my typing
skills on just one cup of coffee.

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 18, 2017, 5:13:18 PM1/18/17
In article <e903376b-46df-4c57...@googlegroups.com>, Stephen...@gmail.com says...

> this is rotating quiz #243. today is january 17th, 2017. at least for a few more minutes...
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 244, in a manner of their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on saturday, 2017-01-28, which gives a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?
Tudor

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
Marlon Brando

> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?
> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
Lady Gaga

> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?
Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus

> 7. how old is actress betty white?
93

> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?
> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?
This Is Spinal Tap

> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?
Annie Hall

> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?
> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?
pawn and knight

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?
Cleveland

> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?
the name that shall not be spoken [or written]

> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7
pi, 22/7, square root of ten

> good luck!
>
> swp

swp

Jan 18, 2017, 6:47:00 PM1/18/17
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 5:13:18 PM UTC-5, Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> In article <e903376b-46df-4c57...@googlegroups.com>, Stephen...@gmail.com says...
> > 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?
> the name that shall not be spoken [or written]

gah! philistine! unclean! unclean!

swp

swp

Jan 18, 2017, 6:52:34 PM1/18/17
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 2:21:24 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> Stephen Perry:
> > this is rotating quiz #243.
>
> "I don't think so, Tim."

yeah, caught that 3 seconds after the original post. mea culpa.

> --
> Mark Brader | Up until now, you have been told never to use
> Toronto | the Goto. I use it. I use a revolver too, but
> m...@vex.net | I don't give it to my children. --a Prof. Baird

this is one of my favorite quotes, although when I first heard it in 1979 I don't think the sources cited was the same.

swp

Calvin

Jan 18, 2017, 8:47:07 PM1/18/17
On Wednesday, January 18, 2017 at 2:59:30 PM UTC+10, swp wrote:

> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

Tudor

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

Cernan

> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?
> 7. how old is actress betty white?

93

> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?

3 ounces

> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?

Spinal Tap

> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?
> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?

38

> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

Pawn or knight

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?

Washington DC

> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?
> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7

pi, 22/7, sqr 10

cheers,
calvin

Peter Smyth

Jan 19, 2017, 5:53:23 AM1/19/17
swp wrote:

> this is rotating quiz #243. today is january 17th, 2017. at least
> for a few more minutes...
>
> the winner will be the first choice to set rq 244, in a manner of
> their choosing.
>
> please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your
> answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
> answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto
> time) on saturday, 2017-01-28, which gives a lot of time from the
> time of this posting.
>
> in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the
> hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
> correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
> have fun!
>
> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?
Saxe Coburg and Gotha
> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
Marlon Brando
> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?
Eugene Cernan
> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
Beyonce
> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after
> 146 years?
> 7. how old is actress betty white?
92
> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?
500g
> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?
> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in
> what 1973 movie?
Annie Hall
> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's
> ballerina girlfriend?
21
> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start
> a game of chess?
Pawn and Knight
> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?
> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday
> january 16th?
> 15. put these three values in order from least to
> greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7
Root 10, Pi, 22/7

Peter Smyth

ArenEss

Jan 19, 2017, 6:53:35 AM1/19/17
On Tue, 17 Jan 2017 20:59:29 -0800 (PST), swp
<Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

>this is rotating quiz #243. today is january 17th, 2017. at least for a few more minutes...
>
>the winner will be the first choice to set rq 244, in a manner of their choosing.
>
>please answer based only on your own knowledge; put all of your answers in a single posting, quoting the question before each one.
>
>answer slates must be posted before 9pm edt (philadelphia/toronto time) on saturday, 2017-01-28, which gives a lot of time from the time of this posting.
>
>in case of a tie, the first tiebreaker will be who scored on the hardest questions; and the second tiebreaker will be who posted first.
>
>correct answers are worth 1 point each.
>
>have fun!
>
> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?
Tudor
> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?
> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?
Brando
> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?
Cernan
> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?
Lady Gaga
> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?
Ringling Brothers and Barnum&Baileys Circus
> 7. how old is actress betty white?
95
> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?
> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?
>10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?
Sleeper
>11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?
29
>12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?
Pawn, Rook
>13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?
Cleveland
>14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?
Chicago CUbs
>15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7
PI, 22/7, SQRT 10

>good luck!
>
>swp

ArenEss

Gareth Owen

Jan 19, 2017, 5:13:47 PM1/19/17
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

Tudor

> 2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?

Neil Gaiman

> 3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?

Brando

> 4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

Gene Ciernan (sp?) RIP

> 5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?

Lady Gaga

> 6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after
> 146 years?

The Democratic Party

> 7. how old is actress betty white?

96?

> 8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?

2lb

> 9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?

This is Spinal Tap?

> 10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in
> what 1973 movie?

Sleeper?

> 11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?

34?

> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

White Pawn, White Knight

> 13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?

Cleveland

> 14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday
> january 16th?

The World Series Champion Chicago Cubs

> 15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the
> square root of ten, 22/7

pi, 22/7, Sqrt(10)

swp

Jan 31, 2017, 7:59:10 AM1/31/17
answers, results, and scores coming soon.

swp

Feb 1, 2017, 9:07:11 PM2/1/17
On Tuesday, January 17, 2017 at 11:59:30 PM UTC-5, swp wrote:
> this is rotating quiz #243. today is january 17th, 2017.
> at least for a few more minutes...

time is having its way with me. again.

first up, the expected answers.

1. edward vi was the last english king of what dynasty?

the tudors

2. who wrote the novel 'the ocean at the end of the lane' in 2013?

neil gaiman

3. who played jor-el in the 1978 version of the movie 'superman'?

marlon brando

4. who was the last man to walk on the moon?

gene cernan

5. who is scheduled to perform at the half-time show of superbowl 51?

lady gaga

6. what organization announced that it is shutting down in may after 146 years?

ringling brothers and barnum & bailey circus

7. how old is actress betty white?

95

8. jumbo sized eggs have what minimum weight per dozen?

30 oz (or 850.5g)

9. what was rob reiner's feature film directing debut?

this is spinal tap

10. woody allen composed the score, co-wrote, directed & starred in what 1973 movie?

sleeper

11. how old is melanie hamrick, mick jagger's ballerina girlfriend?

29 (and she's pregnant!)

12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?

white pawns & white knights

13. in what city was 'the drew carey show' set?

cleveland

14. who did president barack obama greet at the white house on monday january 16th?

baseball world series champions, the Chicago Cubs

15. put these three values in order from least to greatest: pi, the square root of ten, 22/7

pi (3.1415928), 22/7 (3.142857), the square root of ten (3.162277)

now for the scores...

name 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 total
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Mark B 1 0 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 9.0
Dan T 1 0 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 * 0 0 1 5.5
Don P 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 * 1 1 0 6.5
Dan B 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 1 0 * 1 0 1 8.5
Marc D 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 * 1 0 0 6.5
Calvin 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 0 * 0 0 1 4.5
Peter S 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 * 0 0 0 2.5
ArenEss 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 10.0
Gareth 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 10.0
---------- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
totals 8 2 6 8 3 5 4 0 3 3 1 5 6 3 6 63.0

I laughed at "the democratic party" by Gareth, much like the voters did. but no bonus points for that.

#8 was not intended to be a stumper. I guess not everyone has spent time working on a farm.

the judgment call for the #12 was that you needed to include both piece types and the color white in your answer. if you only got the piece types I gave 1/2 point.

after a strong start from Mark, it came down to a race at the end between ArenEss and Gareth. but in the end, there can be only 1. and with a singleton on #11, the winner and *NEW* Rotating Quiz Champion! is ArenEss!! Congratulations! Well done! ArenEss now has the sacred honor and duty to set the slate for the next RQ.

thank you each for playing. and my sincere apology for the delay in posting the results.

swp

Dan Tilque

Feb 1, 2017, 11:52:57 PM2/1/17
swp wrote:

> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?
>
> white pawns & white knights

> the judgment call for the #12 was that you needed to include both piece types and the color white in your answer. if you only got the piece types I gave 1/2 point.

The problem with this is that in chess terminology, pawns are not
pieces. So anyone saying "pawn" should probably be wrong. Since you
required the color, the real answer should be

white king's knight and white queen's knight.

No one gave this answer, although I came close. I didn't include the
color. I just kind of assumed that since white always goes first, it was
superfluous to include that detail.

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Feb 2, 2017, 5:07:13 AM2/2/17
The official FIDE Laws of Chess state

2.2 At the beginning of the game White has 16 light-coloured pieces
(the ‘white’ pieces); Black has 16 dark-coloured pieces (the ‘black’
pieces).
https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=171&view=article

so the pawns are counted as pieces.

Peter Smyth

Mark Brader

Feb 2, 2017, 6:05:06 AM2/2/17
Stephen Perry:
>>> 12. what are the only 2 pieces that can start a game of chess?
>>>
>>> white pawns & white knights

Dan Tilque:
>> The problem with this is that in chess terminology, pawns are not
>> pieces. So anyone saying "pawn" should probably be wrong. Since you
>> required the color, the real answer should be
>>
>> white king's knight and white queen's knight.
>>
>> No one gave this answer, although I came close. I didn't include the
>> color. I just kind of assumed that since white always goes first, it
>> was superfluous to include that detail.

Peter Smyth:
> The official FIDE Laws of Chess state
>
> 2.2 At the beginning of the game White has 16 light-coloured pieces
> (the 'white' pieces); Black has 16 dark-coloured pieces (the 'black'
> pieces).
> https://www.fide.com/fide/handbook.html?id=171&view=article
>
> so the pawns are counted as pieces.

There's official terminology and then there's terminology that's well
established outside of official use. (For example, here's a page that
uses both senses of "piece" in different places:

http://www.chess.com/news/lesson-1-one-step-past-the-basics-8973

) The use of "piece" in the question was ambiguous -- but the explicit
number "2" points to the interpretation where it does *not* include
pawns. I say Dan deserves at least a half-point and possibly a full
one, since he did give a two-part answer.

In retrospect I'm annoyed that I didn't notice the ambiguity and call
attention to it when posting my own answer.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "The frencited scrivener, I, outspode."
m...@vex.net --Jonathan Buss

Mark Brader

Feb 2, 2017, 6:09:58 AM2/2/17
Stephen Perry:
> ... the winner and *NEW* Rotating Quiz Champion! is ArenEss!!
> Congratulations! Well done!

Hear, hear.

> ArenEss now has the sacred honor and duty to set the slate for the
> next RQ.

Note that "the next RQ" was supposed to be #243, but Stephen accidentally
used the number 243 a few times -- including the subject line above --
for his contest. To avoid confusion I think you'll either want to use
different wording in the subject line -- such as spelling out the words
"rotating quiz" -- or skip a number and go straight to 244.
--
Mark Brader | In the face of such devastating logic as "despite
Toronto | what you say you mean, you must mean this and you