QFTCIMM16 Final, Round 9: Canadiana

Mark Brader

Apr 18, 2017, 10:21:42 PM4/18/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 9 - Canadiana

Canadiana: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/cana.jpg

* Controversial Pipelines

1. What is the name of the proposed pipeline that is to run from
Bruderheim, Alberta, to Kitimat, BC?

2. What Alberta town is to be the northern terminus of the Keystone
pipeline?

3. What energy giant is behind the Trans-Mountain pipeline?

* Defunct Airlines

In each case, name the defunct Canadian airline whose plane is
depicted.

4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/4.jpg
5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/5.jpg
6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/6.jpg

* Inventions

In each case, identify the Canadian invention described.

7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
in the late '60s.

8. Don Hings invented what he called the "packset" in 1937.
When Canada declared war on Germany 2 years later, he went to
Ottawa to redevelop this communication device for military use.

9. In 1854, Nova Scotia inventor Samuel McKeen created a device
that measured distance with every revolution of a carriage wheel.
Ben Franklin and others had worked on similar devices, but it
was McKeen who got it right.

* Mayors

These questions ask for the mayors who were in office when the
original game was played. On each one, if you just give a name,
then it must be that mayor's name. Alternatively, you can put the
words "current mayor" and name the person who is now in office.
If the same people described in the questions are still in office,
then it won't matter whether you say "current mayor" or not.

10. Calgary has an awfully hip mayor for what is often considered
a square town. Name him.

11. The mayor of Montreal served as a Member of Parliament from
1997 to 2013, including a stint as Minister of Immigration
under Jean Chrétien. Name him.

12. Name the mayor of Vancouver. He has held the job since 2008.

* Hockey Books

13. A retired player is the title character of "King Leary",
a novel that won the 1988 Leacock Award and the 2008 edition
of Canada Reads. Name the author.

14. Which former goalie wrote "The Game", and is credited with an
assist on Rick Salutin's play "Les Canadiens"?

15. Which broadcaster co-wrote with Kristie McLellan Day the book
"Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Nights and Insights"?

16. Extra question for fun, but for no points: one non-fiction
book about hockey was written by a Prime Minister of Canada
*while in office*. Name the book or the author, or if you
can, both.

--
Mark Brader "It really was quite easy; it was the
Toronto explanations and banter that took

Dan Blum

Apr 18, 2017, 11:47:27 PM4/18/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Inventions

> 7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
> of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
> Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
> in the late '60s.

Saran Wrap

> 8. Don Hings invented what he called the "packset" in 1937.
> When Canada declared war on Germany 2 years later, he went to
> Ottawa to redevelop this communication device for military use.

walkie-talkie

> 9. In 1854, Nova Scotia inventor Samuel McKeen created a device
> that measured distance with every revolution of a carriage wheel.
> Ben Franklin and others had worked on similar devices, but it
> was McKeen who got it right.

odometer

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 19, 2017, 1:16:30 AM4/19/17
In article <RpqdnWVUqZYsVGvF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 9 - Canadiana
> * Inventions
>
> In each case, identify the Canadian invention described.
>
> 7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
> of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
> Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
> in the late '60s.
Saran Wrap

> 8. Don Hings invented what he called the "packset" in 1937.
> When Canada declared war on Germany 2 years later, he went to
> Ottawa to redevelop this communication device for military use.
radio telephone

> 9. In 1854, Nova Scotia inventor Samuel McKeen created a device
> that measured distance with every revolution of a carriage wheel.
> Ben Franklin and others had worked on similar devices, but it
> was McKeen who got it right.
odometer

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 19, 2017, 1:18:14 AM4/19/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:RpqdnWVUqZYsVGvFnZ2dnUU7-
f3N...@giganews.com:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Canadiana
>
> Canadiana: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/cana.jpg
>
> * Mayors
>
> These questions ask for the mayors who were in office when the
> original game was played. On each one, if you just give a name,
> then it must be that mayor's name. Alternatively, you can put the
> words "current mayor" and name the person who is now in office.
> If the same people described in the questions are still in office,
> then it won't matter whether you say "current mayor" or not.
>
> 10. Calgary has an awfully hip mayor for what is often considered
> a square town. Name him.

Huey Lewis

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Apr 19, 2017, 1:30:08 AM4/19/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 9 - Canadiana
>
> Canadiana: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/cana.jpg
>

> * Controversial Pipelines
>
> 1. What is the name of the proposed pipeline that is to run from
> Bruderheim, Alberta, to Kitimat, BC?

Trans-Mountain pipeline

(don't know the answer, but perhaps you forgot to remove it from Q3)

> 2. What Alberta town is to be the northern terminus of the Keystone
> pipeline?
>
> 3. What energy giant is behind the Trans-Mountain pipeline?

ExxonMobil

> * Defunct Airlines
>
> In each case, name the defunct Canadian airline whose plane is
> depicted.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/4.jpg

Canadair

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/5.jpg

Canadair

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/6.jpg
>

> * Inventions
>
> In each case, identify the Canadian invention described.
>
> 7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
> of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
> Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
> in the late '60s.

plastic garbage bags

> 8. Don Hings invented what he called the "packset" in 1937.
> When Canada declared war on Germany 2 years later, he went to
> Ottawa to redevelop this communication device for military use.

walkie-talkie

> 9. In 1854, Nova Scotia inventor Samuel McKeen created a device
> that measured distance with every revolution of a carriage wheel.
> Ben Franklin and others had worked on similar devices, but it
> was McKeen who got it right.

odometer

(I thought the Romans had those way back in their Empire days.)
Dan Tilque

Gareth Owen

Apr 19, 2017, 1:34:35 AM4/19/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 14. Which former goalie wrote "The Game", and is credited with an
> assist on Rick Salutin's play "Les Canadiens"?

Ken Dryden

Pete Gayde

Apr 21, 2017, 12:57:05 AM4/21/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:RpqdnWVUqZYsVGvFnZ2dnUU7-
f3N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 9 - Canadiana
>
> Canadiana: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/cana.jpg
>

> * Controversial Pipelines
>
> 1. What is the name of the proposed pipeline that is to run from
> Bruderheim, Alberta, to Kitimat, BC?
>
> 2. What Alberta town is to be the northern terminus of the Keystone
> pipeline?

Edmonton; Calgary

> 3. What energy giant is behind the Trans-Mountain pipeline?
>

> * Defunct Airlines
>
> In each case, name the defunct Canadian airline whose plane is
> depicted.
>
> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/4.jpg

CanadAir

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/5.jpg

CanadAir

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/6.jpg

CanadAir

> * Inventions
>
> In each case, identify the Canadian invention described.
>
> 7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
> of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
> Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
> in the late '60s.

Teflon

> 8. Don Hings invented what he called the "packset" in 1937.
> When Canada declared war on Germany 2 years later, he went to
> Ottawa to redevelop this communication device for military use.

Mobile telephone

> 9. In 1854, Nova Scotia inventor Samuel McKeen created a device
> that measured distance with every revolution of a carriage wheel.
> Ben Franklin and others had worked on similar devices, but it
> was McKeen who got it right.
>

> * Mayors
>
> These questions ask for the mayors who were in office when the
> original game was played. On each one, if you just give a name,
> then it must be that mayor's name. Alternatively, you can put the
> words "current mayor" and name the person who is now in office.
> If the same people described in the questions are still in office,
> then it won't matter whether you say "current mayor" or not.
>
> 10. Calgary has an awfully hip mayor for what is often considered
> a square town. Name him.
>
> 11. The mayor of Montreal served as a Member of Parliament from
> 1997 to 2013, including a stint as Minister of Immigration
> under Jean Chrétien. Name him.
>
> 12. Name the mayor of Vancouver. He has held the job since 2008.
>

> * Hockey Books
>
> 13. A retired player is the title character of "King Leary",
> a novel that won the 1988 Leacock Award and the 2008 edition
> of Canada Reads. Name the author.

Fischler

> 14. Which former goalie wrote "The Game", and is credited with an
> assist on Rick Salutin's play "Les Canadiens"?

Dryden

> 15. Which broadcaster co-wrote with Kristie McLellan Day the book
> "Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Nights and Insights"?

Cherry; Irvin

> 16. Extra question for fun, but for no points: one non-fiction
> book about hockey was written by a Prime Minister of Canada
> *while in office*. Name the book or the author, or if you
> can, both.

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2017, 10:15:45 PM4/21/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-12-06,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 9 - Canadiana

> Canadiana: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/cana.jpg

> * Controversial Pipelines

> 1. What is the name of the proposed pipeline that is to run from
> Bruderheim, Alberta, to Kitimat, BC?

Northern Gateway.

> 2. What Alberta town is to be the northern terminus of the Keystone
> pipeline?

Hardisty.

> 3. What energy giant is behind the Trans-Mountain pipeline?

Kinder Morgan Energy Partners.

> * Defunct Airlines

> In each case, name the defunct Canadian airline whose plane is
> depicted.

> 4. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/4.jpg

Air Ontario.

> 5. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/5.jpg

Wardair.

> 6. http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/f-9/air/6.jpg

Royal.

Canadair was a popular wrong answer, but that was not an airline
company; it was an airplane *manufacturer* that was bought out by
Bombardier.

> * Inventions

> In each case, identify the Canadian invention described.

> 7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
> of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
> Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
> in the late '60s.

Garbage bag. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. Don Hings invented what he called the "packset" in 1937.
> When Canada declared war on Germany 2 years later, he went to
> Ottawa to redevelop this communication device for military use.

Walkie-talkie. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 9. In 1854, Nova Scotia inventor Samuel McKeen created a device
> that measured distance with every revolution of a carriage wheel.
> Ben Franklin and others had worked on similar devices, but it
> was McKeen who got it right.

Odometer. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> * Mayors

> These questions ask for the mayors who were in office when the
> original game was played. On each one, if you just give a name,
> then it must be that mayor's name. Alternatively, you can put the
> words "current mayor" and name the person who is now in office.
> If the same people described in the questions are still in office,
> then it won't matter whether you say "current mayor" or not.

In fact all three are still in office.

> 10. Calgary has an awfully hip mayor for what is often considered
> a square town. Name him.

Naheed Nenshi:
http://www.calgary.ca/citycouncil/PublishingImages/Mayor--Nenshi-305px.jpg

> 11. The mayor of Montreal served as a Member of Parliament from
> 1997 to 2013, including a stint as Minister of Immigration
> under Jean Chrétien. Name him.

Denis Coderre:
http://ville.montreal.qc.ca/pls/portal/docs/page/bur_du_maire_fr/media/images/maire_denis_coderre_mdp.jpg

> 12. Name the mayor of Vancouver. He has held the job since 2008.

Gregor Robertson:
http://vancouver.ca/images/cov/content/mayor-robertson-gregor.png

> * Hockey Books

> 13. A retired player is the title character of "King Leary",
> a novel that won the 1988 Leacock Award and the 2008 edition
> of Canada Reads. Name the author.

Paul Quarrington. (Formerly of the Canadian Inquisition.)

> 14. Which former goalie wrote "The Game", and is credited with an
> assist on Rick Salutin's play "Les Canadiens"?

Ken Dryden. 4 for Gareth and Pete.

> 15. Which broadcaster co-wrote with Kristie McLellan Day the book
> "Cornered: Hijinks, Highlights, Late Nights and Insights"?

Ron MacLean.

> 16. Extra question for fun, but for no points: one non-fiction
> book about hockey was written by a Prime Minister of Canada
> *while in office*. Name the book or the author, or if you
> can, both.

"The Great Game: The Forgotten Leafs and the Rise of Professional
Hockey" (2013) by Stephen Harper.

Scores, if there are no errors:

FINAL ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 BEST
TOPICS-> His Lit Sci Geo Spo Ent Can FIVE
Joshua Kreitzer 39 34 20 32 12 44 0 169
Pete Gayde 6 28 -- 40 32 32 4 138
Bruce Bowler -- 32 60 28 -- 16 -- 136
Peter Smyth 32 -- 36 28 32 -- -- 128
Dan Tilque 28 16 48 16 8 4 12 120
Erland Sommarskog 20 8 11 40 27 -- -- 106
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 -- 16 12 36 4 104
Dan Blum 39 23 -- -- -- 28 8 98
Don Piven 28 -- 56 -- -- -- -- 84
Jason Kreitzer 12 12 4 -- -- 44 -- 72
"Calvin" 42 27 -- -- -- -- -- 69
Gareth Owen -- -- -- -- 40 -- 4 44

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "You can write a small letter to Grandma
m...@vex.net | in the filename." -- Forbes Burkowski

Dan Tilque

Apr 22, 2017, 10:47:23 PM4/22/17
Mark Brader wrote:

>> In each case, identify the Canadian invention described.
>
>> 7. Using stretchy, waterproof polyethylene film, Harry Wasylyk
>> of Manitoba and Larry Hansen of Ontario invented this in 1950.
>> Union Carbide Company bought the idea and brought it into homes
>> in the late '60s.
>
> Garbage bag. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Hah! I knew it wasn't Saran wrap, as everyone else guessed. That has
been around since time immemorial (i.e. before I can remember). There
was a plethora of other brands of plastic wrap in the late 60s, but that
was probably because the patent on Saran had lapsed. Sandwich bags was
another possibility, but I'm certain Glad Bags were introduced in the
mid-60s. That left garbage bags as the only likely answer.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 22, 2017, 11:20:51 PM4/22/17
Mark Brader:
> > Garbage bag. 4 for Dan Tilque.

Dan Tilque:
> Hah! I knew it wasn't Saran wrap, as everyone else guessed. That has
> been around since time immemorial (i.e. before I can remember). There
> was a plethora of other brands of plastic wrap in the late 60s, but that
> was probably because the patent on Saran had lapsed. Sandwich bags was
> another possibility, but I'm certain Glad Bags were introduced in the
> mid-60s. That left garbage bags as the only likely answer.

Well solved.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Just because it's correct doesn't
m...@vex.net make it right!" -- Jonas Schlein