QFTCI5EP Game 6, Rounds 4,6: CanWest and impossibilities

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 1:35:33 AM6/28/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada

This is a round about the four provinces west of Ontario.
(Provinces only, not territories.)

(And how does that fit the movie theme for Game 6? Why, simple:
they are the four provinces *closest to Hollywood*!)

1. According to the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics, what was
the third-largest city in the province by 2011 census population?

2. According to Municipal Affairs Alberta, what was the
third-largest city by population in the province as of 2015?

3. Michel Trudeau died in November 1998 after he was swept into a
lake in southeastern British Columbia as a result of an
avalanche. The youngest son of Pierre Trudeau was only 23.
Name the *lake*.

4. The Alberta floods in 2013 were described as the worst in
the history of the province. In this community, southeast of
Calgary, all 13,000 residents were ordered to leave their homes.
Name the community.

5. This colorful politician resigned as premier of British Columbia
in 1991 over a conflict-of-interest controversy involving
the sale of his Fantasy Gardens flower garden and theme park.
Name him.

6. This BC broadcaster has had a career spanning 50 years as a TV
news anchor and on radio, including time at CKNW. From 1969 to
1985, he also hosted the national finals of "Reach for the Top".
Who is he?

7. The current premier of Manitoba was also a federal MP for
8 years. Back in 1998, he made an unsuccessful bid for the
leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.
Name him.

8. This NDP politician was premier of Saskatchewan from 1991
to 2001. After he left office, he was named the head of a
Royal Commission on the future of health care in Canada.

9. Nearly 20 people from this small Manitoba community, located on
the border with Saskatchewan, went on to play in the NHL,
including Bobby Clarke and tough guy Ken Baumgartner. Name the
town.

10. From 2000 to 2009, with Health Canada's approval, a private
company operated an underground "growth chamber" in <answer 9>
to supply medical marijuana. What is the name of this company?

* Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies

Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.

1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
shots look like giant glowing arrows.

2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
generating system.

5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
the grappling rope with one hand.

6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
environment.

7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
and almost all of Earth is underwater.

8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
etc.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Most people are other people. Their thoughts
m...@vex.net | are someone else's opinions..." --Oscar Wilde

Dan Tilque

Jun 28, 2017, 6:35:00 AM6/28/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada
>
> This is a round about the four provinces west of Ontario.
> (Provinces only, not territories.)
>
> (And how does that fit the movie theme for Game 6? Why, simple:
> they are the four provinces *closest to Hollywood*!)
>
> 1. According to the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics, what was
> the third-largest city in the province by 2011 census population?

Moose Jaw

> 2. According to Municipal Affairs Alberta, what was the
> third-largest city by population in the province as of 2015?

Red Deer
Flin Flon

> 10. From 2000 to 2009, with Health Canada's approval, a private
> company operated an underground "growth chamber" in <answer 9>
> to supply medical marijuana. What is the name of this company?
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies
>
> Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
> of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
> in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
> explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.
>
> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

There's not enough dust particles in space to reflect some of the light
to the side to make the shots visible.

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

Invisible things don't stop light; you need something opaque, or better
yet, reflective.

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

Sound doesn't transmit through a vacuum.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

It would take far more energy to keep the humans living than they would
generate.

> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

After falling that far, they'd be going so fast there's no way he could
stop them even with two hands.

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

Individuals don't evolve biologically. It would take many generations to
do that.

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

There isn't that much water on Earth.

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

They'd die of old age travelling between star systems at sub-light speeds.

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

You can't hold your breath against that much pressure difference.

(Although holding one's breath in that situation is not necessary. After
losing pressure, you get 10 to 15 seconds of consciousness to do
something to repressurize. Arthur C. Clarke used that fact here (in the
book, anyway) and in one other story whose name I can't remember.)

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

Liquid gasoline isn't explosive; you can extinguish a match by dipping
it in gasoline. (Gas fumes, on the other hand, ...)

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce

Jun 28, 2017, 9:37:59 AM6/28/17
You can't see laser light. What you see is the light interacting with
particles in the air. In space there are no particles to interact with.

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.
>
> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

Quoting from another movie's tagline "In space, no one can here you scream"

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.
>
> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding the
> grappling rope with one hand.

Even though he's a super hero, his body can't defy the laws of physics

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.
>
> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

Where did all the water come from, there's not that much ice to melt.

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth system
> to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

They're too far apart, it would take "forever" to get between the 2 systems

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

And his lungs should have exploded during the depressurization

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building, etc.

Gas burn, but is not explosive. In fact, only the vapor can burn, the
liquid would extinguish the source of ignition.

Dan Blum

Jun 28, 2017, 10:13:44 AM6/28/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada

> 1. According to the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics, what was
> the third-largest city in the province by 2011 census population?

Moose Jaw

> 2. According to Municipal Affairs Alberta, what was the
> third-largest city by population in the province as of 2015?

Edmonton

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies

> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

lasers are only visible if they pass through a medium so there are
particles to reflect light; they are invisible in vacuum

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

visible light passes through anything transparent by definition

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

sound requires a medium and so doesn't exist in a vacuum

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

they would require more energy to stay alive than they could possibly
produce (even assuming there were a good way for humans to produce
electricity)

> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

the force at that point would make it impossible for him to hold on,
and if we posit that he could anyway (because he's Batman) his arm
would have come off

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

evolution on that scale requires many, many generations - too many for
the movie's timeline

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

not enough ice in the world to raise the sea level that much

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

traveling between any two systems would take at least a few years even
at just below the speed of light

(Technically I don't think they started that trip in the Hoth system,
but it's still impossible.)

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

lack of oxygen isn't the main problem for that short a period, it's
what the vacuum does to everything else (eyes, for example)

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

gasoline vapors are highly inflammable and can be explosive, liquid
gasoline is much less so

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 28, 2017, 10:31:38 AM6/28/17
In article <TeGdnao01IC93c7E...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies
>
> Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
> of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
> in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
> explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.
>
> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.
light travels in a straight line -- how do you get an arrow shape?

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.
If visible light can pass though the shields, so can LASER light

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.
No sound is transmitted through the void of space.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.
>
> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.
The force absorbed by his hand/arm/shoulder would easily overcome his grip.

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.
species evolve -- not individuals

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.
There are not enough water molecules on the planet to make a global ocean five miles deep.

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.
that journey would take hundreds or thousands of years

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.
his pulmonary alveoli would burst

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.
uncontained pools of gasoline do not explode -- they burn

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 28, 2017, 2:03:02 PM6/28/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

Ain't much arrowshape of a laser, it's a straight beam and you don't
see it from the side as the light is going in one direction only.

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

Obviously, they would not be invisble when the laser falls on them.
Or if they are - they protect very well, as the laser apparentlyh
goes right through.

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

Sound requires air. Not much of that in space.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

Well, humans generate heat, so if you pack them together in theory.
Then again, you would need to feed them, or else they would die.
And to feed them, you need electricty somewherem, so...

> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

The force when they stop is very strong, and Batman is not that
strong to withstand it, is he?

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

He certainly cannot evolve that personally - that takes generations.

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

Even if all ice in Antartica would melt, the sea levels would not raise
that much. I don't recall exactly, maybe 300 m. (Which is still is
quite a deluge.)

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

Don't know the distance, but it takes an awul time to travel in
space at sub-light speeds.

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

Don't do that - you will explode when the pressure inside of you is
much higher than on the outside.

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

So wasn't that what happened in Pakistan last week? Was not fun at all.

Gareth Owen

Jun 28, 2017, 2:20:29 PM6/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

Light does not emit light. (Are they actually ever called lasers on TIE
Fighters? I only recall the Turbo Lasers on the Death Star)

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

Light passes through invisible things - that's kind of the big deal

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

Space is a vacuum - no sound propagates. Also, elephants can't drive.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

All kinds of "conservation of energy" and "perpetual motion" problems.
They'll need more fuel than they'll provide.

> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

That's a lot of impulse travelling through the hand/rope interface. On
a good day, he loses grip. On a bad day, it rips the arm from the socket.

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

Evolution doesn't work that quick.

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

Where was all that volume of water (and it is a LOT) previously hiding?

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

Interstellar travel at sub-light speeds takes years.

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

High pressure in lungs + rapid decompression = explodey Dave.

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

Gasoline^W Petrol burns kinda slow, and tends not to explode. You
combustion engine relies on it only really going pop when compressed in
a cylinder.

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2017, 2:40:58 PM6/28/17
Mark Brader:
>> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
>> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
>> etc.

Erland Sommarskog:
> So wasn't that what happened in Pakistan last week?

This is one type of disaster that's occurred several times in recent
years, but news reports understandly tend to focus on the outcome
rather than the specific details of ignition. This time at least
some sources are saying:

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/pakistan-oil-tanker-explosion-fire-blast-crash-bahawalpur-punjab-killed-dead-injured-a7806856.html

that it happened when "somebody tried to light a cigarette". For
this one in 2012, I could not find any mention of the specific
source of ignition:

http://www.ndtv.com/world-news/nigeria-oil-tanker-fire-kills-at-least-95-492334

For this one in 2011, involving a pipeline leak rather than a tanker
crash:

http://www.nation.co.ke/news/100-killed-in-Nairobi-fuel-fire/1056-1235082-330gj1z/index.html

they say that reports are conflicting but "some say it was caused by a
man smoking a cigarette.

Presumably either lighting a cigarette or drawing on it while smoking
involves a higher temperature than the smoldering of a cigarette end.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are full of digital chain letters and
m...@vex.net | warnings about marmalade." --Matt Ridley

Calvin

Jun 28, 2017, 8:41:11 PM6/28/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 3:35:33 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada

Pass

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies
>
> Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
> of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
> in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
> explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.
>
> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

Light can't be propelled by a cannon.

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

Light would be able to pass through them

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

They would be silent as noise cannot travel in the vacuum of space.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

Static electricity cannot be captured.

> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

His hand would not have been able to retain its grip due to momentum.

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

Gills would replace lungs, not complement them.

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

Water cannot be created, and there is insufficient ice to generate such rises even if it all melted.

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

It would take many years.

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

His body would explode regardless.

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

Incorrect fuel:oxygen ratio for an explosion.

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 28, 2017, 10:11:01 PM6/28/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TeGdnao01IC93c7EnZ2dnUU7-
IXN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada
>
> This is a round about the four provinces west of Ontario.
> (Provinces only, not territories.)

I'm not getting anywhere with this one.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies
>
> Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
> of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
> in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
> explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.
>
> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

Laser beams travel in straight lines.

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

Light is blocked by opaque things, not transparent things (like windows,
for example).

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

Sound doesn't travel in the vacuum of space.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

The energy needed to keep the humans alive would be much greater than
the amount that could be generated from them.

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

Evolution doesn't work on the individual level, but over generations via
natural selection.

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

Even if all the ice on Earth (in Antarctica, Greenland, etc.) melted,
that wouldn't be enough to raise sea level by 25,000 feet.

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

Traveling at slower than the speed of light, the journey would take
years to complete.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 28, 2017, 11:27:32 PM6/28/17
On Wednesday, June 28, 2017 at 1:35:33 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada
>
> This is a round about the four provinces west of Ontario.
> (Provinces only, not territories.)
>
> (And how does that fit the movie theme for Game 6? Why, simple:
> they are the four provinces *closest to Hollywood*!)
>
> 1. According to the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics, what was
> the third-largest city in the province by 2011 census population?
>
> 2. According to Municipal Affairs Alberta, what was the
> third-largest city by population in the province as of 2015?
Regina?
There's no air in space.
> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.
>
> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.
No sound in space

Mark Brader

Jun 30, 2017, 5:38:24 PM6/30/17
Mark Brader:
>>> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
>>> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
>>> etc.

Erland Sommarskog:
>> So wasn't that what happened in Pakistan last week?

Mark Brader:
> This is one type of disaster that's occurred several times in recent
> years, but news reports understandly tend to focus on the outcome
> rather than the specific details of ignition.

Thinking further about this, I suspect that the difference may be
the amount of spilled fuel and the length of time it was there. In
the real-life disasters this meant that a large amount of vapor had
time to accumulate and mix with the air above it. Not the case in
the typical movie scenario.
--
Mark Brader | this take
Toronto | "If is shall really to
| -- Piglet ("Winnie-the-Pooh", A.A. Milne)

Pete Gayde

Jun 30, 2017, 7:22:57 PM6/30/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TeGdnao01IC93c7EnZ2dnUU7-
IXN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of 5 Easy Pieces and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada
>
> This is a round about the four provinces west of Ontario.
> (Provinces only, not territories.)
>
> (And how does that fit the movie theme for Game 6? Why, simple:
> they are the four provinces *closest to Hollywood*!)
>
> 1. According to the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics, what was
> the third-largest city in the province by 2011 census population?

Flin Flon; Moosejaw

> 2. According to Municipal Affairs Alberta, what was the
> third-largest city by population in the province as of 2015?

Flin Flon; Moosejaw
Flin Flon

> 10. From 2000 to 2009, with Health Canada's approval, a private
> company operated an underground "growth chamber" in <answer 9>
> to supply medical marijuana. What is the name of this company?
>

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies
>
> Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
> of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
> in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
> explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.
>
> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.
>
> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.
>
> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

There is no sound in space

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.
>
> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

The force of the fall would sever his hand

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.
>
> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

There is not enough water in the world to cover it to 25,000 feet

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.
>
> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

Depressurization would force the breath out of you

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

Gasoline burns but doesn't explode

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Jun 30, 2017, 11:31:44 PM6/30/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2017-02-27,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 6, Round 4 - Canadiana - Western Canada

> This is a round about the four provinces west of Ontario.
> (Provinces only, not territories.)

> (And how does that fit the movie theme for Game 6? Why, simple:
> they are the four provinces *closest to Hollywood*!)

This was the hardest round in the original game, and tied for
second-hardest of the entire season (tied with Game 3, Round 6,
about the richest artists.)

> 1. According to the Saskatchewan Bureau of Statistics, what was
> the third-largest city in the province by 2011 census population?

Prince Albert. (At 35,129, just ahead of Moose Jaw's 33,274.)

> 2. According to Municipal Affairs Alberta, what was the
> third-largest city by population in the province as of 2015?

Red Deer. (At 100,807, ahead of Lethbridge's 94,800.) 4 for
Dan Tilque.

> 3. Michel Trudeau died in November 1998 after he was swept into a
> lake in southeastern British Columbia as a result of an
> avalanche. The youngest son of Pierre Trudeau was only 23.
> Name the *lake*.

Kokanee Lake.

> 4. The Alberta floods in 2013 were described as the worst in
> the history of the province. In this community, southeast of
> Calgary, all 13,000 residents were ordered to leave their homes.
> Name the community.

High River.

> 5. This colorful politician resigned as premier of British Columbia
> in 1991 over a conflict-of-interest controversy involving
> the sale of his Fantasy Gardens flower garden and theme park.
> Name him.

Bill Vander Zalm.

> 6. This BC broadcaster has had a career spanning 50 years as a TV
> news anchor and on radio, including time at CKNW. From 1969 to
> 1985, he also hosted the national finals of "Reach for the Top".
> Who is he?

Bill Guest.

The expected answer was wrong in the original game. This was called
to attention in our game when *two* of the players, one on each side,
said so and explained that they had been *in* the national finals
during that period.

> 7. The current premier of Manitoba was also a federal MP for
> 8 years. Back in 1998, he made an unsuccessful bid for the
> leadership of the Progressive Conservative Party of Canada.
> Name him.

Brian Pallister.

> 8. This NDP politician was premier of Saskatchewan from 1991
> to 2001. After he left office, he was named the head of a
> Royal Commission on the future of health care in Canada.

Roy Romanow.

> 9. Nearly 20 people from this small Manitoba community, located on
> the border with Saskatchewan, went on to play in the NHL,
> including Bobby Clarke and tough guy Ken Baumgartner. Name the
> town.

Flin Flon. 4 for Dan Tilque and Pete.

> 10. From 2000 to 2009, with Health Canada's approval, a private
> company operated an underground "growth chamber" in <answer 9>
> to supply medical marijuana. What is the name of this company?

Prairie Plant Systems.

> * Game 6, Round 6 - Science - Impossible Scenarios in Movies

> Many impossible scenarios appear in movies, allegedly for the sake
> of a good story. Let's see if you can identify *why* the moments
> in film that follow are scientifically impossible. In each case,
> explain the reason in a sentence or so, in layman's terms.

In the original game, this was the easiest round of the game, and
also of the entire season if audio rounds are excluded.

I had to make a lot of judgement calls here; those decisions are
final.

> 1. In "Star Wars", TIE fighters in space shoot laser cannons whose
> shots look like giant glowing arrows.

Lasers wouldn't be visible in space, since there is nothing to
reflect the light. Also, since laser beams move at the speed of
light, you wouldn't see them moving. 4 for Dan Tilque, Bruce,
Dan Blum, and Gareth. 2 for Erland.

> 2. Also in "Star Wars", invisible shields protect against lasers.
> Hint: Laser beams are made of light.

Anything that you can see through also lets light through it
and wouldn't protect you. Yeah, like you needed a hint. 4 for
Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Gareth, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 3. "Star Wars" again. The sound a TIE fighter makes in space is
> the mix of an elephant bellow with a car driving on a wet road.

Sound requires a medium to travel through. And also, as Gareth said,
elephants can't drive. 4 for everyone -- Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum,
Marc, Erland, Gareth, Calvin, Joshua, Jason, and Pete.

> 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> generating system.

They would require more energy to be kept alive than they would
generate. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Erland, Gareth, and Joshua.

> 5. In "Batman", the Caped Crusader and Vicki Vale fall from a
> church tower, but Batman saves them by throwing a grappling hook.
> After falling about 200-300 feet, they stop, and he is holding
> the grappling rope with one hand.

Nobody's hand can exert that much force. If it could grip the rope
hard enough to stop the fall, it would have been ripped off his body.
4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc, Erland, Gareth, Calvin, and Pete.
3 for Bruce.

> 6. In "Waterworld", Kevin Costner's character has developed gills,
> which implies that he has evolved in response to a changing
> environment.

Evolution affects future generations, not individuals in their
lifetimes; and it works by small changes to what is already there,
not by creating whole new organs. 4 for Dan Tilque, Dan Blum, Marc,
Erland, and Joshua. 3 for Gareth.

> 7. Also in "Waterworld", the sea level has risen about 25,000 feet
> and almost all of Earth is underwater.

There is only enough ice on the planet for its melting to raise the
sea level by a few hundred feet. 4 for Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum,
Marc, Erland, Gareth, Calvin, Joshua, and Pete.

> 8. In "Star Wars Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back", the Millennium
> Falcon's hyper-drive fails and they must travel from the Hoth
> system to the Bespin system at sub-light speeds.

It would take years. 4 for Dan Tilque, Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc,
Erland, Gareth, Calvin, and Joshua.

> 9. In "2001: A Space Odyssey", Dave survives a brief
> depressurization by taking a deep breath and holding it.

A brief depressurization is survivable, but he would need to exhale.
Retaining full air pressure would in his lungs would rupture them.
4 for Bruce, Marc, Erland, Gareth, and Calvin. 3 for Dan Tilque
and Pete.

Exactly the same mistake was made once in an episode of "Star Trek:
The Next Generation" -- by the ship's doctor, yet.

> 10. In too many action movies to name, the villain throws a lit
> cigarette into a pool of gasoline to blow up a car, building,
> etc.

Liquid gasoline is not that easy to ignite and would extinguish the
cigarette before the cigarette would ignite the gasoline vapor, and
it's only when there's a suitable amount of vapor, or a fine spray,
mixed with air that it can be explosive. 4 for Dan Tilque, Bruce,
Dan Blum, Marc, Gareth, Calvin, and Pete.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 6 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Can Sci
Joshua Kreitzer 40 36 0 24 100
Gareth Owen 32 28 0 39 99
Dan Blum 20 24 0 36 80
Stephen Perry 40 36 -- -- 76
Marc Dashevsky 16 28 0 32 76
Dan Tilque 11 0 8 39 58
"Calvin" 18 4 0 28 50
Jason Kreitzer 24 20 0 4 48
Bruce Bowler 12 0 0 27 39
Pete Gayde 12 0 4 19 35
Erland Sommarskog -- -- 0 34 34

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "For want of a bit the loop was lost..."
m...@vex.net -- Steve Summit

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 1, 2017, 4:29:34 AM7/1/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Thinking further about this, I suspect that the difference may be
> the amount of spilled fuel and the length of time it was there. In
> the real-life disasters this meant that a large amount of vapor had
> time to accumulate and mix with the air above it. Not the case in
> the typical movie scenario.

And I guess it wasn't exactly cold on this day in Pakistan. That is,
the warmer it is, the more vapours.

And also, in this accident there was a lot more of gasoline than just a
"pool".

Calvin

Jul 2, 2017, 6:37:50 PM7/2/17
On Saturday, July 1, 2017 at 1:31:44 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:

> > 4. In The Matrix, living humans are kept as a massive electricity
> > generating system.
>
> They would require more energy to be kept alive than they would
> generate.

I'm not protesting, but most humans lived well before electricity was ever harnessed.

cheers,
calvin