Calvin's Quiz #140

Calvin

Jun 22, 2011, 9:11:43 PM6/22/11

1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?
3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
tennis match?
4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?
5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?
6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?
8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?
9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?
10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

--

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 22, 2011, 10:55:24 PM6/22/11
"Calvin":

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Rice?

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

If you mean World Series, the Yankees. If you mean pennants, probably
still the Yankees.

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

Riggs.

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?

Pinking shears.

> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Myers.

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

Bewitched.

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Springfield.

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

Foreman.

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?
> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Marley.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Canada... likes to sit up there looking harmless,
m...@vex.net | like the USA's hat... --Anthony McCarron

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 22, 2011, 11:51:02 PM6/22/11
In article <op.vxh79...@04233-jyhzp1s.staff.ad.bond.edu.au>, cal...@phlegm.com says...

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
rice

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

New York Yankees

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes tennis match?

Bobby Riggs

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?

pinking shears

> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

George Foreman

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

Batman

> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Bob Marley (Wailers?)

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Jeffrey Turner

Jun 23, 2011, 12:11:33 AM6/23/11
On 6/22/2011 9:11 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?
New York Yankees

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?
Bobby Riggs

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?
> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?
Mark Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
Bewitched

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?
Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?
Foreman

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?
> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?
Bob Marley

--Jeff

--
It is very easy for rich people to preach
the virtues of self-reliance to the poor.

John Masters

Jun 23, 2011, 1:07:35 AM6/23/11
On 2011-06-23 02:11:43 +0100, Calvin said:

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Rice

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?
> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?
> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Michael Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

George Foreman

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?
> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

If you mean The Wailers it was Bob Marley, else, I don't know.
--
I don't like the place at all. It's all wrong. An imposition on the
Landscape. I reckon that Stonehenge was build by the contemporary

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 23, 2011, 4:04:10 AM6/23/11
Calvin (cal...@phlegm.com) writes:
> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Wasabi

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

New York Jets

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

Arthur Ashe

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health
> grills?

George Foreman

David

Jun 23, 2011, 4:11:55 AM6/23/11
> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Rice

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

Africa

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

Martina Navratilova

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut
> cloth?

Pinking Shears

> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

Bewitched

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health
> grills?

Frank Bruno

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

Batfink

> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Bob Marley

björn lundin

Jun 23, 2011, 5:07:12 AM6/23/11
On Jun 23, 3:11 am, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:
> 1       What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
rice

> 3       Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes tennis match?
Jimmie Connors

> 5       Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?
Mike Myers

> 7       Which rock star is known as The Boss?
Bruce Springsteen

> 8       Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?
George Foreman

> 10      The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?
Bob Marley

> --
>
> cheers,
> calvin

David

Jun 23, 2011, 5:45:52 AM6/23/11
"David" wrote in message news:itusgc$fq4$1...@dont-email.me...

> > 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the
> > sexes tennis match?
>
> Martina Navratilova

Whoops, looking at other peoples answers, I've now realised (and the clue
was in the title) that the battle of the sexes is a battle of the
sexes......... Doh!

Dan Tilque

Jun 23, 2011, 5:58:41 AM6/23/11
Calvin wrote:

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

salt

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

NY Yankees

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the
> sexes tennis match?

Bobby Riggs

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut
> cloth?
> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

I Dream of Jeannie

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

George Foreman

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?
> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Eric Clapton

--
Dan Tilque

David

Jun 23, 2011, 6:03:04 AM6/23/11
"Dan Tilque" wrote in message news:itv2dt$g0l$1...@dont-email.me...
> > 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
>
> salt

Doh! I was sure is wasn't rice but couldn't remember what it was.

> > 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?
> >

> Eric Clapton

Ah, I assumed this was a typo in the question.
I knew Clapton was in Cream but have never heard of 'The Whalers'

Rob Parker

Jun 23, 2011, 8:51:59 AM6/23/11
> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Rice

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

Who cares?

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

Bobby Riggs

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?

Pinking shears

> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

Happy Days (?)

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

no idea

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

no idea

> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

no idea. But if you mean "The Wailers", the answer is Bob Marley - and it's
a common mis-spelling of that band's name.

Rob

Russ

Jun 23, 2011, 11:24:53 AM6/23/11
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:11:43 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

>1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Salt (to purify the ring!)

>2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

NY Yankees

>3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
>tennis match?

Bobby Riggs

>4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?

Pinking Shears

>5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers

>6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

Bewitched (Darrin's boss)

>7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

>8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

George Foreman

>9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

Batfink

>10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Bob Marley (if you meant the Wailers).

Russ

Peter Smyth

Jun 23, 2011, 12:56:13 PM6/23/11
"Calvin" wrote in message

>1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
rice

>2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?
Yankees

>3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
>tennis match?
Bobby Riggs

>4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?
>5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?
Mike Myers

>6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
>7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?
Bruce Springsteen

>8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?
George Foreman

>9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?
>10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?
Bob Marley (if you mean the Wailers?)

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Jun 23, 2011, 8:45:25 PM6/23/11

Clapton was a guess on my part and is wrong. Everyone else seems to know
it was Bob Marley and the Wailers, although there's quite a few Google
hits for Bob Marley and the Whalers. Music is not my strongest trivia
subject.

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Jun 23, 2011, 10:04:25 PM6/23/11
Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote in

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a
bout?

Salt

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

New York Yankees

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the
> sexes tennis match?

Bobby Riggs

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a
> cut cloth?

Pinking shears

> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

Bewitched

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health
> grills?

George Foreman

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

Hawkman

> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Pete

Chris F.A. Johnson

Jun 23, 2011, 10:34:53 PM6/23/11
On 2011-06-23, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?
> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

NY Yankees

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

Riggs

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut cloth?
> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

Bewitched

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Springsteen

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health
grills?

Foreman

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

Batfink

> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

New England? no...
Bob Marley? no, that was The Wailers ...

Ahab? yes
Jonah? yes
Moby Dick? yes
... and various others

--
Chris F.A. Johnson <http://cfajohnson.com>
Author: =======================

Calvin

Jun 26, 2011, 7:05:42 PM6/26/11
On Fri, 24 Jun 2011 01:24:53 +1000, Russ <rn...@el.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:11:43 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

[snip]

> Russ

Thanks for playing Russ. Can you confirm that you used only your own
knowledge and no other resources?

--

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jun 26, 2011, 7:12:24 PM6/26/11
On Thu, 23 Jun 2011 11:11:43 +1000, Calvin <cal...@phlegm.com> wrote:

> 1 What substance do sumo wrestlers spread on the ring before a bout?

Salt
10/13

> 2 Which team has won the most major league baseball titles?

NY Yankees
8/13

> 3 Who did Billie Jean King beat in the famous 1973 battle of the sexes
> tennis match?

Bobby Riggs
9/13
LOL @ Navratilova :-)

> 4 Which colourful implement limits the amount of fraying from a cut
> cloth?

Pinking shears
6/13

> 5 Who wrote and starred in the Austin Powers movies?

Mike Myers [surname only sufficient, so I'm not worried if the forename is
wrong}
12/13

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

6/13

> 7 Which rock star is known as The Boss?

Bruce Springsteen
13/13

> 8 Which former heavyweight boxer promotes his own line of health grills?

George Foreman
11/13
Lovely companion piece to the Thighmaster

> 9 Which cartoon character's wings were like a shield of steel?

Batfink
3/13

> 10 The Whalers were a backing group for which singer?

Bob Marley, and it should be 'Wailers" as several entrants pointed out,
though it seems I am far from the first person to make that mistake.
10/13

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 140
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 Bjorn Lundin
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 6 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 David
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 2 Erland S
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 Jeffrey Turner
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 John Masters
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 8 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 9 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 7 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 6 Rob Parker
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 Russ
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
10 8 9 6 12 6 13 11 3 10 88 TOTAL
68%

Russ is the provisional winner, awaiting confirmation that he did not use
any external resources.

--

cheers,
calvin

Russ

Jun 26, 2011, 9:06:50 PM6/26/11

YES!

Mark Brader

Jun 26, 2011, 11:25:19 PM6/26/11
"Calvin":

> > 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
>
> 6/13

Interesting title.

> 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 9 Mark Brader

Wrong. Any others?
--
Mark Brader | "Strong typing isn't for weak minds; the argument
Toronto | 'strong typing is for weak minds' is for weak minds."

Calvin

Jun 26, 2011, 11:53:26 PM6/26/11
On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 13:25:19 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?

I omitted the answer which is of course "Bewitched".

Thanks to Mark for drawing my attention to the fact that he gave the
incorrect "Springfield" rather than "Springsteen" to Q7. Revised scores,
if there are no more errors:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL Quiz 140
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 Bjorn Lundin
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 8 Chris Johnson
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 6 Dan Tilque
1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 7 David
0 0 0 0 0 0 1 1 0 0 2 Erland S
0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 Jeffrey Turner
1 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 5 John Masters
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 1 8 Marc Dashevsky

1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 8 Mark Brader

1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 1 7 Peter Smyth
1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 0 1 6 Rob Parker
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 Russ
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------

10 8 9 6 12 6 12 11 3 10 87 TOTAL
67%

And Russ is confirmed as the winner with 10 ahead of the group on 8.

--

cheers,
calvin

David

Jun 27, 2011, 5:24:11 AM6/27/11
"Mark Brader" <m...@vex.net> wrote in message

> "Calvin":
> > > 6 Larry Tate was a character in which 1960s TV sitcom?
> >
> > 6/13
>
> Interesting title.
>
> > 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 9 Mark Brader
>
> Wrong. Any others?