Rotating Quiz #308

Don Piven

Sep 30, 2018, 8:30:54 PM9/30/18
This is Rotating Quiz #308.

The customary rules apply: answer from your personal knowledge,
intuition, wild-ass guess, or divine revelation; no reference tools
should be used. Scoring is one point per accepted answer.

Answers must be posted here no later than 0000 UTC 10 October 2018 (or
7pm CDT on Oct 9th). Tie scores are resolved in favor of the person who
posted their answer earliest (by the timestamp on the message). The
winner will be named shortly after the answer deadline and will receive
bragging rights, see their name in untold numbers of excited electrons,
and have the opportunity to present Rotating Quiz #309 in a format of
their choosing.

And now, Rotating Quiz #308:

1) The Art Institute of Chicago has carved into its exterior the names
of the members of what famous cartoon quartet?

2) Golfer Tiger Woods recently won the PGA's "The Tour Championship" by
two strokes over Billy Horschel. Woods last won a PGA Tour event in
what year?

3) In the 2018 Emmy Awards, which network received the most awards?

4) Marty Balin, one of the founders of famed rock group Jefferson
Airplane, recently passed away. Of the seven people performing on the
Airplane's first release, "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", how many are
still living?

5) Hurricane Florence caused extensive damage on the east coast of the
US earlier this month. An earlier storm named Florence caused damage to
Bermuda and Newfoundland in what year?

6) Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers recently achieved a rare
and notable feat in baseball -- twice in the space of three weeks! --
and did this both times against the Cincinnati Reds. What did he do?

7) Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not particularly
renowned for keeping fast company, but his current girlfriend would
certainly qualify in that category. Who is she?

8) 8 October 1871 is a date that lives in infamy in Chicago history,
that being the date of a fire that destroyed about three square miles of
the city and killed up to 300 people. On the same day, another fire
started in the midwestern US that eventually killed over 1500 people and
consumed an area 50% larger than the state of Rhode Island. What town
is most closely associated with this fire? (Answer must include the
town name and state.)

9) 2+2=3, for sufficiently large values of 3. How many college football
teams comprise the Big Ten Conference?

10) 5-1=5, for sufficiently small values of 1. How many college
football teams are in the Big 12 Conference?

11) The United States Senate consists of 100 members who serve six-year
terms and are elected in three "classes", one class every two years.
How many Senate seats are up for election in 2018?

12) Elon Musk is not having a good 2018. He (and his company Tesla) haa
just shelled out US$40 million to avoid being sued for securities fraud
(and Musk was invited to not run Tesla for the next three years); he is
being sued by one of the swimmers who rescued a group of Thai children
caught in a flooded cave; and he racked up more notoriety when he was
seen doing what on a live webcast with Joe Rogan?

13) Apple recently released the latest version of its operating system
for Macintosh computers, variously named OS X, Mac OS X, or macOS. Since
the first release of OS X, each release has had a one- or two-word
nickname. Which is the only nickname which does NOT identify a large
cat or a California landform?

Dan Blum

Sep 30, 2018, 9:48:25 PM9/30/18
Don Piven <d...@piven.net> wrote:

> 1) The Art Institute of Chicago has carved into its exterior the names
> of the members of what famous cartoon quartet?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

> 2) Golfer Tiger Woods recently won the PGA's "The Tour Championship" by
> two strokes over Billy Horschel. Woods last won a PGA Tour event in
> what year?

2010

> 3) In the 2018 Emmy Awards, which network received the most awards?

HBO

2

> 6) Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers recently achieved a rare
> and notable feat in baseball -- twice in the space of three weeks! --
> and did this both times against the Cincinnati Reds. What did he do?

pitched a no-hitter

> 7) Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not particularly
> renowned for keeping fast company, but his current girlfriend would
> certainly qualify in that category. Who is she?

Danica Patrick

> 9) 2+2=3, for sufficiently large values of 3. How many college football
> teams comprise the Big Ten Conference?

12

> 10) 5-1=5, for sufficiently small values of 1. How many college
> football teams are in the Big 12 Conference?

11

> 11) The United States Senate consists of 100 members who serve six-year
> terms and are elected in three "classes", one class every two years.
> How many Senate seats are up for election in 2018?

33

> 12) Elon Musk is not having a good 2018. He (and his company Tesla) haa
> just shelled out US$40 million to avoid being sued for securities fraud
> (and Musk was invited to not run Tesla for the next three years); he is
> being sued by one of the swimmers who rescued a group of Thai children
> caught in a flooded cave; and he racked up more notoriety when he was
> seen doing what on a live webcast with Joe Rogan?

smoking marijuana

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Sep 30, 2018, 10:31:32 PM9/30/18
Don Piven:
> 1) The Art Institute of Chicago has carved into its exterior the names
> of the members of what famous cartoon quartet?

The teenage mutant ninja turtles.

> 2) Golfer Tiger Woods recently won the PGA's "The Tour Championship" by
> two strokes over Billy Horschel. Woods last won a PGA Tour event in
> what year?

2013?

> 3) In the 2018 Emmy Awards, which network received the most awards?

HBO?

> 4) Marty Balin, one of the founders of famed rock group Jefferson
> Airplane, recently passed away. Of the seven people performing on the
> Airplane's first release, "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", how many are
> still living?

1?

> 5) Hurricane Florence caused extensive damage on the east coast of the
> US earlier this month. An earlier storm named Florence caused damage to
> Bermuda and Newfoundland in what year?

2014?

(Not entirely a guess -- I think they reuse names ever 4 years if they
aren't retired.)

> 6) Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers recently achieved a rare
> and notable feat in baseball -- twice in the space of three weeks! --
> and did this both times against the Cincinnati Reds. What did he do?

No-hitter?

> 7) Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not particularly
> renowned for keeping fast company, but his current girlfriend would
> certainly qualify in that category. Who is she?

Patrick?

> 8) 8 October 1871 is a date that lives in infamy in Chicago history,
> that being the date of a fire that destroyed about three square miles of
> the city and killed up to 300 people. On the same day, another fire
> started in the midwestern US that eventually killed over 1500 people and
> consumed an area 50% larger than the state of Rhode Island. What town
> is most closely associated with this fire? (Answer must include the
> town name and state.)

Peshtigo, WI?

> 9) 2+2=3, for sufficiently large values of 3. How many college football
> teams comprise the Big Ten Conference?

12, I think.

> 10) 5-1=5, for sufficiently small values of 1. How many college
> football teams are in the Big 12 Conference?

9?

> 11) The United States Senate consists of 100 members who serve six-year
> terms and are elected in three "classes", one class every two years.
> How many Senate seats are up for election in 2018?

33? At least it's the most probable!

> 13) Apple recently released the latest version of its operating system
> for Macintosh computers, variously named OS X, Mac OS X, or macOS. Since
> the first release of OS X, each release has had a one- or two-word
> nickname. Which is the only nickname which does NOT identify a large
> cat or a California landform?

Phoenix?
--
Mark Brader | Republicans... admire the Government of the United States
Toronto | so much that they would like to buy it.

Dan Tilque

Oct 1, 2018, 2:07:39 AM10/1/18
Don Piven wrote:

> 1) The Art Institute of Chicago has carved into its exterior the names
> of the members of what famous cartoon quartet?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles

> 2) Golfer Tiger Woods recently won the PGA's "The Tour Championship" by
> two strokes over Billy Horschel. Woods last won a PGA Tour event in
> what year?

2010

4

> 5) Hurricane Florence caused extensive damage on the east coast of the
> US earlier this month. An earlier storm named Florence caused damage to
> Bermuda and Newfoundland in what year?
>
> 6) Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers recently achieved a rare
> and notable feat in baseball -- twice in the space of three weeks! --
> and did this both times against the Cincinnati Reds. What did he do?

hit for the cycle

> 7) Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not particularly
> renowned for keeping fast company, but his current girlfriend would
> certainly qualify in that category. Who is she?

Danica Patrick

> 8) 8 October 1871 is a date that lives in infamy in Chicago history,
> that being the date of a fire that destroyed about three square miles of
> the city and killed up to 300 people. On the same day, another fire
> started in the midwestern US that eventually killed over 1500 people and
> consumed an area 50% larger than the state of Rhode Island. What town
> is most closely associated with this fire? (Answer must include the
> town name and state.)

Peshtigo, Wisconsin

> 9) 2+2=3, for sufficiently large values of 3. How many college football
> teams comprise the Big Ten Conference?

12

> 10) 5-1=5, for sufficiently small values of 1. How many college
> football teams are in the Big 12 Conference?

10

> 11) The United States Senate consists of 100 members who serve six-year
> terms and are elected in three "classes", one class every two years. How
> many Senate seats are up for election in 2018?

34

> 12) Elon Musk is not having a good 2018. He (and his company Tesla) haa
> just shelled out US$40 million to avoid being sued for securities fraud
> (and Musk was invited to not run Tesla for the next three years); he is
> being sued by one of the swimmers who rescued a group of Thai children
> caught in a flooded cave; and he racked up more notoriety when he was
> seen doing what on a live webcast with Joe Rogan?

having a toke

> 13) Apple recently released the latest version of its operating system
> for Macintosh computers, variously named OS X, Mac OS X, or macOS. Since
> the first release of OS X, each release has had a one- or two-word
> nickname. Which is the only nickname which does NOT identify a large
> cat or a California landform?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 1, 2018, 6:09:10 PM10/1/18
Don Piven (d...@piven.net) writes:
> 1) The Art Institute of Chicago has carved into its exterior the names
> of the members of what famous cartoon quartet?

Fantastic Four

> 2) Golfer Tiger Woods recently won the PGA's "The Tour Championship" by
> two strokes over Billy Horschel. Woods last won a PGA Tour event in
> what year?

2013

> 3) In the 2018 Emmy Awards, which network received the most awards?

CBC

> 4) Marty Balin, one of the founders of famed rock group Jefferson
> Airplane, recently passed away. Of the seven people performing on the
> Airplane's first release, "Jefferson Airplane Takes Off", how many are
> still living?

Four

> 5) Hurricane Florence caused extensive damage on the east coast of the
> US earlier this month. An earlier storm named Florence caused damage to
> Bermuda and Newfoundland in what year?

1981

> 9) 2+2=3, for sufficiently large values of 3. How many college football
> teams comprise the Big Ten Conference?

13

8

> 11) The United States Senate consists of 100 members who serve six-year
> terms and are elected in three "classes", one class every two years.
> How many Senate seats are up for election in 2018?

34

Calvin

Oct 2, 2018, 8:38:25 PM10/2/18
On Monday, October 1, 2018 at 10:30:54 AM UTC+10, Don Piven wrote:

> 1) The Art Institute of Chicago has carved into its exterior the names
> of the members of what famous cartoon quartet?
>
> 2) Golfer Tiger Woods recently won the PGA's "The Tour Championship" by
> two strokes over Billy Horschel. Woods last won a PGA Tour event in
> what year?

2010

> 3) In the 2018 Emmy Awards, which network received the most awards?

CBS

4

> 5) Hurricane Florence caused extensive damage on the east coast of the
> US earlier this month. An earlier storm named Florence caused damage to
> Bermuda and Newfoundland in what year?
>
> 6) Christian Yelich of the Milwaukee Brewers recently achieved a rare
> and notable feat in baseball -- twice in the space of three weeks! --
> and did this both times against the Cincinnati Reds. What did he do?

Pitched a no hitter?

> 7) Green Bay Packers quarterback Aaron Rodgers is not particularly
> renowned for keeping fast company, but his current girlfriend would
> certainly qualify in that category. Who is she?
>
> 8) 8 October 1871 is a date that lives in infamy in Chicago history,
> that being the date of a fire that destroyed about three square miles of
> the city and killed up to 300 people. On the same day, another fire
> started in the midwestern US that eventually killed over 1500 people and
> consumed an area 50% larger than the state of Rhode Island. What town
> is most closely associated with this fire? (Answer must include the
> town name and state.)
>
> 9) 2+2=3, for sufficiently large values of 3. How many college football
> teams comprise the Big Ten Conference?
>
> 10) 5-1=5, for sufficiently small values of 1. How many college
> football teams are in the Big 12 Conference?
>
> 11) The United States Senate consists of 100 members who serve six-year
> terms and are elected in three "classes", one class every two years.
> How many Senate seats are up for election in 2018?

34

> 12) Elon Musk is not having a good 2018. He (and his company Tesla) haa
> just shelled out US$40 million to avoid being sued for securities fraud
> (and Musk was invited to not run Tesla for the next three years); he is
> being sued by one of the swimmers who rescued a group of Thai children
> caught in a flooded cave; and he racked up more notoriety when he was
> seen doing what on a live webcast with Joe Rogan?

Smoking a joint

> 13) Apple recently released the latest version of its operating system
> for Macintosh computers, variously named OS X, Mac OS X, or macOS. Since
> the first release of OS X, each release has had a one- or two-word
> nickname. Which is the only nickname which does NOT identify a large
> cat or a California landform?

cheers,
calvin