QFTCIC Game 3, Rounds 7-8: Cananchors and sidekicks

Mark Brader

Nov 14, 2013, 12:42:49 AM11/14/13
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-09-30,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Clueless, and are used
here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my
2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

Again, the (2-page) handout in this round

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/anchor.pdf

is just for your reference; you're not being asked to pick out
the correct photo for each person, but to *give their name*.

(In the original game the handout was also to facilitate team
discussion, if a question went to the team. One player could say,
"Oh, it's #6, but I can't remember her name" and a teammate might
supply it. As that doesn't work in this medium, I've removed
the numbers.)

1. Who is the current chief anchor and editor of the "CTV National
News"? She replaced Lloyd Robertson when he retired in 2011.

2. Who is the current anchor of "CityNews Tonight", weeknights
at 11? He took over the role a few months after Mark Dailey
died.

3. Which woman is the current anchor and executive editor of
"Global National"?

4. Who was the anchor and executive editor of "Global National",
2001-10? He now works for CTV.

5. Name *either* member of the funny "Sportscentre" duo who left
TSN earlier this summer for Fox Sports.

6. Name either of the people who host "Entertainment Tonight
Canada".

7. Name either of the people who host "eTalk".

8. Name either of the people who host "Breakfast Television"
on CityTV.

9. Name either of the anchors for "CBC News Toronto" at 6.

10. "Global News Hour Toronto" had co-anchors until recently.
Name either the man, who remains as sole anchor, or the woman,
who has ended her 3-year run with the network.

* Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks

In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.

1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.

3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
Miguel de Cervantes.

4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
Name Duke's companion.

6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
companion.

7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
valet to the book's English main character.

8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
is never revealed, so just give his first name.

9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
its creator. Name the robot.

10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

--
Mark Brader | "I was gratified to be able to answer promptly, and I did.
Toronto | I said I didn't know."

Dan Blum

Nov 14, 2013, 9:24:08 AM11/14/13
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks

> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

Peregrin Took

> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Jeeves

> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passepartout

> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.

Daneel Olivaw

> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

Stephen Maturin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Nov 14, 2013, 9:42:32 AM11/14/13
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of either hobbit.
Peregrin Took (and Meriadoc Brandybuck?)
> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name either.
Crabb
> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.
>
> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.
Jeeves
> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.
>
> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.
>
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.
Passepartout
> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.
>
> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.
>
> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

Peter Smyth

Pete

Nov 14, 2013, 12:20:34 PM11/14/13
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in
Goyle

> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.
>
> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.
>
> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.
>
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passepartout

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.
>
> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.
>
> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Nov 14, 2013, 3:27:07 PM11/14/13
In article <ruGdnf20mNtE_xnP...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.
Peregrin Took

> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.
>
> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.
Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.
Reginald Jeeves

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.
>
> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.
>
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.
Passpartous

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Nov 14, 2013, 4:17:11 PM11/14/13
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities
>
> Again, the (2-page) handout in this round
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/anchor.pdf

They actually let that last guy loose on an unsuspecting public? Doesn't
his stare turn them to stone, or something ;-)

Oh, and Pass for this round.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

Peregrin Took

> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Jeeves

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.

Gonzo

> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passepartout

> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.

Daneel Olivaw

Rob

Mark Brader

Nov 14, 2013, 5:22:15 PM11/14/13
Mark Brader
> > * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities
> > http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/anchor.pdf

Rob Parker:
> They actually let that last guy loose on an unsuspecting public? Doesn't
> his stare turn them to stone, or something ;-)

That would explain a lot, maybe. However, that particular image happens
to be a decoy:

http://www.amog.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/10/anchorman.jpg

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Pleasant dreams!"
m...@vex.net | "I'll dream of Canada." -- THE SUSPECT

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 14, 2013, 5:43:09 PM11/14/13
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

Now that's local TV! Move on!

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passpartout

Joshua Kreitzer

Nov 14, 2013, 8:21:39 PM11/14/13
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

No answers in this round.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

Peregrin Took

> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Jeeves

> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passepartout

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.

Phineas

> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

Maturin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

swp

Nov 14, 2013, 10:35:52 PM11/14/13
On Thursday, November 14, 2013 12:42:49 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities
>
> Again, the (2-page) handout in this round
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/anchor.pdf
>
> is just for your reference; you're not being asked to pick out
> the correct photo for each person, but to *give their name*.
>
> (In the original game the handout was also to facilitate team
> discussion, if a question went to the team. One player could say,
> "Oh, it's #6, but I can't remember her name" and a teammate might
> supply it. As that doesn't work in this medium, I've removed
> the numbers.)
>
> 1. Who is the current chief anchor and editor of the "CTV National
> News"? She replaced Lloyd Robertson when he retired in 2011.

johnson ; africa

> 2. Who is the current anchor of "CityNews Tonight", weeknights
> at 11? He took over the role a few months after Mark Dailey
> died.

johnson ; africa

> 3. Which woman is the current anchor and executive editor of
> "Global National"?

johnson ; africa

> 4. Who was the anchor and executive editor of "Global National",
> 2001-10? He now works for CTV.

johnson ; africa

> 5. Name *either* member of the funny "Sportscentre" duo who left
> TSN earlier this summer for Fox Sports.

dan o'toole ; jay onrait (these guys are pretty good)

> 6. Name either of the people who host "Entertainment Tonight
> Canada".

johnson ; africa

> 7. Name either of the people who host "eTalk".

johnson ; africa

> 8. Name either of the people who host "Breakfast Television"
> on CityTV.

johnson ; africa

> 9. Name either of the anchors for "CBC News Toronto" at 6.

johnson ; africa

> 10. "Global News Hour Toronto" had co-anchors until recently.
> Name either the man, who remains as sole anchor, or the woman,
> who has ended her 3-year run with the network.

johnson ; africa

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

meriadoc brandybuck

> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.

goyle

> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

sancho panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

jeeves

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.

dr gonzo

> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.

moriarty

> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

passepartout

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.

finny

> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.

r. daneel olivaw

> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

paul bettany's character opposite russell crowe ... dr maturin?

swp

Dan Tilque

Nov 15, 2013, 12:48:22 AM11/15/13
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

Please stop jesting, Shirley

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

Peregrin Took

> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.
>
> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Jeeves

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.
>
> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.
>
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passepartout

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.
>
> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.

R Daneel

> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

--
Dan Tilque

Who needs TV when you can have the whole Internet insulting your
intelligence? -- Ziggy

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2013, 7:00:43 AM11/15/13
Stephen Perry:
> johnson ; africa ...
> johnson ; africa ...
> johnson ; africa ...
> johnson ; africa ...

Har!
--
Mark Brader | "The net exists to be used. It is a powerful tool
m...@vex.net | and as long as people treat it as a tool and not a toy

Jeffrey Turner

Nov 15, 2013, 2:24:05 PM11/15/13
Pippin and Meriadoc

> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.
>
> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Pancho

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Jeeves

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.
>
> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.
>
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Portmanteau

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.
>
> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.
>
> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

--Jeff

Mark Brader

Nov 15, 2013, 6:37:53 PM11/15/13
Mark Brader:
> > * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

Erland Sommarskog:
> Now that's local TV! Move on!

Hey, I told you one of them was on Global National!

(Global is the name of a Canadian TV network.)
--
Mark Brader | Nature is often much more interesting than we would
Toronto | like her to be. However when we finally do understand
| and then marvel at how beautifully simple it was
| all the time. -- Leigh Palmer

calvin

Nov 15, 2013, 8:27:21 PM11/15/13
On Thu, 14 Nov 2013 15:42:49 +1000, Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

Nein danke.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks
>
> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.
>
> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

Full name? Seriously? One was Pip Something.

> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.
>
> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Reggie Jeeves

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.
>
> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.
>
> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Passpartout

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.
>
> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.
>
> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

--
cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Nov 17, 2013, 9:51:30 AM11/17/13
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2013-09-30,
> see my 2013-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 3, Round 7 - Canadiana - News Anchors and TV Personalities

> Again, the (2-page) handout in this round

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/3-7/anchor.pdf

> is just for your reference; you're not being asked to pick out
> the correct photo for each person, but to *give their name*.

> (In the original game the handout was also to facilitate team
> discussion, if a question went to the team. One player could say,
> "Oh, it's #6, but I can't remember her name" and a teammate might
> supply it. As that doesn't work in this medium, I've removed
> the numbers.)

And the rest of you can blame Stephen for making the round count
(as one of the two you get to drop from your score).

> 1. Who is the current chief anchor and editor of the "CTV National
> News"? She replaced Lloyd Robertson when he retired in 2011.

Lisa Laflamme.

> 2. Who is the current anchor of "CityNews Tonight", weeknights
> at 11? He took over the role a few months after Mark Dailey
> died.

Roger Petersen.

> 3. Which woman is the current anchor and executive editor of
> "Global National"?

Dawna Friesen.

> 4. Who was the anchor and executive editor of "Global National",
> 2001-10? He now works for CTV.

Kevin Newman.

> 5. Name *either* member of the funny "Sportscentre" duo who left
> TSN earlier this summer for Fox Sports.

Dan O'Toole, Jay Onrait. 4 for Stephen (the hard way).

> 6. Name either of the people who host "Entertainment Tonight
> Canada".

Cheryl Hickey, Rick Campanelli.

> 7. Name either of the people who host "eTalk".

Ben Mulroney, Tanya Kim.

> 8. Name either of the people who host "Breakfast Television"
> on CityTV.

Kevin Frankish, Dina Pugliese.

> 9. Name either of the anchors for "CBC News Toronto" at 6.

Anne-Marie Mediwake, Dwight Drummond.

> 10. "Global News Hour Toronto" had co-anchors until recently.
> Name either the man, who remains as sole anchor, or the woman,
> who has ended her 3-year run with the network.

Leslie Roberts, Anne Mroczkowski.

> * Game 3, Round 8 - Literature - Sidekicks

> In all cases, name the sidekick or companion.

> 1. They are the loyal hobbit companions of Frodo Baggins and
> Samwise Gamgee in J.R.R. Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" series.
> Give the *full name* of *either* hobbit.

Meriadoc Brandybuck, Peregrin Took. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc,
Rob, Joshua, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Fellow students at Hogwarts, they are Draco Malfoy's goons in
> J.K. Rowling's "Harry Potter" series. Name *either*.

Vincent Crabbe, Gregory Goyle. 4 for Peter, Pete, and Stephen.

> 3. He is squire to the title character in "Don Quixote" by Don
> Miguel de Cervantes.

Sancho Panza. No points for "Pancho", which is not close enough
to the surname. 4 for Dan Blum, Pete, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

> 4. He is valet to English gentleman Bertie Wooster in
> P.G. Wodehouse's most famous series of novels.

Jeeves. Reginald Jeeves, we learned 50+ years after his first
appearance. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Marc, Rob, Joshua, Stephen,
Dan Tilque, Jeff, and Calvin.

> 5. Hunter S. Thompson's attorney friend Oscar Acosta was the
> basis for this character, who accompanies the protagonist Raoul
> Duke to chase the American Dream in a drug-induced haze in the
> semi-autobiographical novel "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas".
> Name Duke's companion.

Dr. Gonzo. 4 for Rob and Stephen.

> 6. Based on the Beat Generation writer Neal Cassady, he is friend
> and travel companion to protagonist Sal Paradise in Jack
> Kerouac's semi-autobiographical "On the Road". Name Sal's
> companion.

Dean Moriarty. 4 for Stephen.

> 7. In Jules Verne's "Around the World in 80 Days", he is the French
> valet to the book's English main character.

Jean Passepartout. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Pete, Marc, Rob, Erland,
Joshua, Stephen, Dan Tilque, and Calvin.

Giggles for "Portmanteau".

> 8. In John Knowles's "A Separate Peace", this sidekick is always
> stretching the rules and pushing Gene Forrester. His surname
> is never revealed, so just give his first name.

Phineas (or "Finny"). 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 9. In Isaac Asimov's "The Caves of Steel", this robot is tasked
> to assist Elijah Baley in the investigation of the murder of
> its creator. Name the robot.

R. Daneel Olivaw. Again, the surname was needed. 4 for Dan Blum,
Rob, and Stephen.

> 10. In Patrick O'Brian's "Master and Commander", Captain Aubrey
> takes on this man as the ship's surgeon and intelligence officer.

Stephen Maturin. Yes, Paul Bettany in the movie. 4 for Dan Blum,
Joshua, and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo His Sci Spo Can Lit FOUR
Stephen Perry 31 40 36 23 4 40 147
Marc Dashevsky 24 12 40 16 0 16 96
Dan Blum 15 23 32 0 0 24 94
Dan Tilque 23 16 32 0 0 16 87
Rob Parker 16 19 24 6 0 24 83
Jeff Turner 24 24 24 8 0 4 80
Joshua Kreitzer 20 13 11 8 0 24 68
Peter Smyth 8 12 32 4 0 16 68
Pete Gayde 22 6 4 20 0 12 60
Erland Sommarskog 28 4 20 4 0 4 56
"Calvin" 16 0 2 15 0 12 45
Jason Kreitzer 8 0 -- -- -- -- 8

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Big programs are a bug."
m...@vex.net -- Geoff Collyer

Erland Sommarskog

Nov 17, 2013, 10:45:13 AM11/17/13
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Hey, I told you one of them was on Global National!

Global National? What a contradictive name!