Calvin's Quiz #480

Calvin

Mar 26, 2017, 8:27:12 PM3/26/17

1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?
2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?
3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?
5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?
6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?
7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?
8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?
9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?
10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?

cheers,
calvin

Don Piven

Mar 26, 2017, 9:54:50 PM3/26/17
On 3/26/17 19:27, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Apple

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

Four

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

Snake

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Herbert Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?
> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Leeds

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

Elton John's "Crocodile Rock"

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2017, 10:23:43 PM3/26/17
Calvin:
> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Apple.

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

4?

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

Seal?

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
> former US president?

Hoover.

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage.

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553
> only to be executed 8 months later?

Grey?

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Birmingham.

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the
> other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?
> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars )
> does most of the action take place almost precisely on the
> equator?

"Rescue at Entebbe"?

--
Mark Brader | "As long as they can annoy people into buying their
Toronto | software ... Microsoft faces the tradeoff of spending
| It's not a hard choice." --Jonathan Goldberg

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2017, 10:46:08 PM3/26/17
"Calvin":
> > 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars )
> > does most of the action take place almost precisely on the
> > equator?

Mark Brader:
> "Rescue at Entebbe"?

In case you were curious about that answer, I'll explain where it
came from.

The first thing I thought of was "Captain Phillips", but that
obviously wasn't made decades ago -- in fact it was a 2013 movie.
But it is close to the correct latitude, as the action takes place
at around 4°N.

The second thing I thought of was also another dramatization of a
real-life incident where hostage-takers were defeated, this one
at Entebbe Airport, and one that was released some decades ago.
I thought that might've been at about the equator, so I went with
it, even though I didn't remember it winning a bunch of Oscars.

I couldn't remember whether it was "Dawn at Entebbe" or "Rescue at
Entebbe", but I went with the latter. On checking, it turns out
that I was wrong, but I still don't know which title I meant,
because the story was dramatized more than once. I was probably
thinking of "Victory at Entebbe", but it might have been "Raid on
Entebbe"; I was never interested in watching either version.

In this case I was right about the latitude -- the terminal at
Entebbe Airport is about 3 miles (5 km) north of the equator.
But neither of those was an Oscar-winning movie -- in fact, they
couldn't even have been eligible for Oscars, because they were
both TV-movies. And both of them came out in 1976, not 1985,
and Sydney Pollack had no connection with either.

But hey, at least they were equatorial.
--
Mark Brader "Sixty years old and still pulling a train!
Toronto That's more than I can say about most

Dan Blum

Mar 26, 2017, 11:10:19 PM3/26/17

6

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

shark

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?

Jane Grey

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Birmingham

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

Crocodile Rock

> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?

Out of Africa

> 10 Mariah Carey?and?Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?

Prince of Egypt

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 27, 2017, 3:22:54 AM3/27/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Pear. :-)

OK, Apple.

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

Four.

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Birmingham

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the
> other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

Crocodile Rock by Elton John

Bruce

Mar 27, 2017, 9:08:56 AM3/27/17

4

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

finches

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
former
> US president?

Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553
only to
> be executed 8 months later?
> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Leeds

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the
other
> kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

American Pie

Peter Smyth

Mar 27, 2017, 9:57:28 AM3/27/17
Calvin wrote:

> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?
Apple
> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?
Four
> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
>
> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
> former US president?
Herbert Hoover
> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?
Cabbage
> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only
> to be executed 8 months later?
Lady Jane Grey
> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?
Birmingham
> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the
> other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?
>
> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does
> most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?
Out of Africa
> 10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe"
> from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?
Prince of Egypt

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 27, 2017, 5:12:39 PM3/27/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> "Calvin":
>> > 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars )
>> > does most of the action take place almost precisely on the
>> > equator?
>
> Mark Brader:
>> "Rescue at Entebbe"?
>
> In case you were curious about that answer, I'll explain where it
> came from.

Yeah, it's not common to see you fail on a movie question. I also feel a
little bad for not making this one, given that I had a question on it
in my most recent rotating quiz.

swp

Mar 27, 2017, 6:40:35 PM3/27/17
Uncle Steve laughed at this and said you forgot to generalize your answer.

I think you guys are strange.

Dan Tilque

Mar 28, 2017, 1:44:32 AM3/28/17
Calvin wrote:
> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Apple

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

12

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

finch

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Herbert Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?

Lady Jane Grey

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Manchester

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

American Pie

> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?

Tropic of Cancer :)

> 10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?

--
Dan Tilque

ArenEss

Mar 28, 2017, 11:06:15 AM3/28/17
On Sun, 26 Mar 2017 17:27:11 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?
Apple

>2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?
4

>3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
Shark?

>4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?
Hoover Dam

>5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?
Cabbage

>6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?
Lady Jane Grey

>7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?
Birmingham

>8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?
Crocodile Rock, by Sir Elton John

>9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?
Out Of Africa (with that ho hum actress Meryl Streep)

>10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?
Antz?

>cheers,
>calvin

ArenEss

Gareth Owen

Mar 29, 2017, 1:57:37 AM3/29/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Apple

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

Four

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

Shark

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
> former US president?

Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only
> to be executed 8 months later?

Lady Jane Grey?

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Birmingham

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other
> kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

Crocodile Rock

> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does
> most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?

Out of Africa

> 10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe"
> from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?

??The Incredibles??

Pete Gayde

Mar 29, 2017, 12:02:52 PM3/29/17
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Apple

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

4

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

Shark

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which
> former US president?

Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on
> 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?

Anne Boleyn

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Birmingham

> 8 Which
> hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids
> were Rocking Round the Clock."?

Crocodile Rock

> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack
> film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place
> almost precisely on the equator?

The Year of Living Dangerously

> 10 Mariah Carey and Whitney
> Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which
> 1998 DreamWorks animated film?
>
> cheers,
> calvin
>
> ---
> http://www.avg.com

Pete Gayde

---
http://www.avg.com

Marc Dashevsky

Mar 29, 2017, 8:20:10 PM3/29/17
In article <1ce72a9c-fe89-4f17...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?
Apple

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?
4

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
frog

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?
Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?
cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?
Jane Grey

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?
Manchester

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?
Crocodile Rock

> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?
Out Of Africa

> 10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?
>
> cheers,
> calvin

Calvin

Apr 2, 2017, 8:10:17 PM4/2/17
On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 10:27:12 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 Tim Cook is currently CEO of which technology company?

Apple

> 2 How many strings does a standard bass guitar have?

4

> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

Shark

> 4 In 1947 Boulder Dam was officially re-named in honour of which former US president?

Herbert Hoover

> 5 What is the main ingredient of the German dish sauerkraut?

Cabbage

> 6 Which 17 year-old married Guildford Dudley on 6th of June 1553 only to be executed 8 months later?

Lady Jane Grey

> 7 By population, what is the second largest city in England?

Birmingham

> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?

Sir Elton John

> 9 In which 1985 Sydney Pollack film (which won seven Oscars ) does most of the action take place almost precisely on the equator?

Out of Africa

> 10 Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston had a hit with "When You Believe" from the soundtrack to which 1998 DreamWorks animated film?

The Prince of Egypt

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 480
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Aren Ess
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 60 Dan Blum
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 46 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 39 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 39 Pete Gayde
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 31 Mark Brader
1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 5 22 Don Piven
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 30 Erland S
1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 16 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 4 20 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
11 9 4 10 11 7 8 7 4 2 73 66%

Congratulations Aren and Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Don Piven

Apr 2, 2017, 8:27:12 PM4/2/17
On 4/2/17 19:10, Calvin wrote:

>> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
>
> Shark

I respectfully challenge. According to Google, those three names can
also be applied to snakes:

Bullsnake (Pituophis catenifer sayi)
Leopard snake (Zamenis situla)
Zebra spitting cobra (Naja nigricincta)

Mark Brader

Apr 2, 2017, 9:07:53 PM4/2/17
"Calvin":
>>> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?

>> Shark

Don Piven:
> Bullsnake (Pituophis catenifer sayi)
> Leopard snake (Zamenis situla)
> Zebra spitting cobra (Naja nigricincta)

But that's not a "zebra snake", is it?
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pedantic and
m...@vex.net that's just as good." -- D Gary Grady

Calvin

Apr 2, 2017, 10:38:39 PM4/2/17
Given it's not clear precisely what "variety" means I'll allow this appeal. Revised scores are:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 480
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Aren Ess
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 60 Dan Blum
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 8 46 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 39 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 39 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 6 30 Don Piven
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 31 Mark Brader
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 30 Erland S
1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 16 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 4 20 Dan Tilque
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
11 9 5 10 11 7 8 7 4 2 74 67%

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 2, 2017, 10:49:52 PM4/2/17
In article <6e001049-a985-4d92...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...
> On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 10:27:12 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
> > 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
>
> Shark

Frog, my answer, is correct as well.

Dan Tilque

Apr 3, 2017, 4:06:48 AM4/3/17
Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> In article <6e001049-a985-4d92...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...
>> On Monday, March 27, 2017 at 10:27:12 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:
>>> 3 Bull, leopard and zebra are varieties of which animal?
>> Shark
>
> Frog, my answer, is correct as well.

As is finch.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 3, 2017, 7:35:11 AM4/3/17
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 8 Which hit song of 1973 includes the following line: "While the
>> other kids were Rocking Round the Clock."?
>
> Sir Elton John

Hmm....

Calvin

Apr 3, 2017, 10:07:40 PM4/3/17
Can you provide references please.

tx,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 4, 2017, 9:08:35 AM4/4/17
In article <9eddfc16-e313-4e87...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...
I grew up catching bullfrogs and leopard frogs.
If you Google "zebra frog" you will be pleased to see many articles and images of them.

Calvin

Apr 4, 2017, 10:24:10 PM4/4/17
On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 6:06:48 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
I'm now accepting frog and finch. How remarkable that there are three correct answers.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 480
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 54 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 60 Dan Blum
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 39 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 39 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 6 30 Don Piven
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 31 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 5 24 Bruce Bowler
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 5 28 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 30 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
11 9 8 10 11 7 8 7 4 2 77 70%

Marc joins the joint winners.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Apr 5, 2017, 1:24:55 PM4/5/17
Calvin wrote:
> On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 6:06:48 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
>> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>>> In article <6e001049-a985-4d92...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

>> As is finch.
>
> Can you provide references please.

Dang it, I thought there was a leopard finch, but I guess I was
mistaken. Never mind!

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Tilque

Apr 7, 2017, 12:44:10 AM4/7/17
Calvin wrote:
> On Monday, April 3, 2017 at 6:06:48 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
>> Marc Dashevsky wrote:
>>> In article <6e001049-a985-4d92...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...
>>> Frog, my answer, is correct as well.
>>>
>> As is finch.
>
> I'm now accepting frog and finch. How remarkable that there are three correct answers.

I was mistaken on there being a leopard finch, although there are
bullfinches and zebra finches. Googling "leopard finch" comes up with a
some pictures of the same bird, but they are actually cut-throat finches.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Apr 7, 2017, 6:00:14 AM4/7/17
"Calvin":

>> I'm now accepting frog and finch. How remarkable that there are three
>> correct answers.

Dan Tilque:
> I was mistaken on there being a leopard finch, although there are
> bullfinches and zebra finches. Googling "leopard finch" comes up with a
> some pictures of the same bird, but they are actually cut-throat finches.

Presuming that Calvin has departed for wherever he's going off-net to,
I've taken the liberty of computing a score table corrected for this
error. But while doing this, I realized that the tiebreaker scores had
been wrongly computed in all three of Calvin's results postings for
this quiz -- see my other posting just now for more on this.

Dan Blum and three other entrants were all tied at 9 right, but Dan answered
the harder question #10, while the other three entrants got the easier #2.
Therefore Dan should have the lower (better) tiebreaker score and he and
he alone is the winner of this quiz. Congratulations, Dan!

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 480
- - - - - - - - - - --- --- -------------
1 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 9 66 Dan Blum
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 73 Gareth Owen
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 73 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 73 Marc Dashevsky
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 7 58 Peter Smyth
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 62 Pete Gayde
1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 0 0 6 54 Don Piven
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 0 0 6 56 Mark Brader
1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 0 0 5 46 Erland S
1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 0 4 39 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 1 1 0 0 0 0 0 4 41 Bruce Bowler
11 9 6 10 11 7 8 7 4 2 75

--
Mark Brader | "As a professional, it's my job to take a slightly dim
Toronto | view of the ... people who will look at my code next.