QFTCIMI520 Game 2, Rounds 9-10: 4 at night

Mark Brader

Mar 23, 2020, 1:38:24 AM3/23/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-20,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr

*This* is the sports round.

Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
In each case you name the athlete.

1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
games played.

2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
same year (2008).

3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
appointments as senator and Governor-General.

4. Basketball; 1984-2000; small forward, power forward. NBA MVP
1993. 11 times NBA All-Star. NBA All-Star Game MVP 1991.
Successful NBA Analyst.

5. Baseball; 1978-98; desginated hitter, infielder, first baseman,
manager. World Series Champion 1993. World Series MVP 1993.
7 times All-Star. Nicknamed "The Ignitor".

6. Baseball; 1915-37; first baseman. World Series Champion 1926.
Twice NL MVP (1925 and 1929). Twice Triple Crown winner (1922
and 1925). Career batting average .358.

7. Football; 1996-present; placekicker. 4 times Super Bowl
Champion. 3 times Pro Bowl. NFL record for most points scored
(2,668). Oldest player active in NFL as of the start of 2020.

8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
Liberal MP 1962-65.

9. Basketball; 2003-17; power forward. Twice NBA Champion (2012
and 2013). 11 times NBA All-Star. All-NBA Second Team (2007).
Career impacted by blood clots.

10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.

** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round of the Night

* A. Nocturnal Animals

A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
primate to use -- what process?

A2. This nocturnal lemur, native to Madagascar, has rodent-style
teeth that perpetually grow and a special thin middle finger
that it uses to pull grubs out of trees. It is the world's
largest nocturnal primate, and its name reminds us of an
agreeable sailor. Name the creature.

* B. Night Novels

B1. What mystery writer wrote "Gaudy Night"?
B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?

* C. "Hockey Night in Canada"

C1. Who filled in for Harry Neale when he was snowed in at his
home in Buffalo on 2006-10-04, thus becoming the first
woman to do color commentary on a "Hockey Night in Canada"
broadcast?

C2. In 1968, Dolores Claman did something very important for
"Hockey Night in Canada". What did she do?

* D. (K)Nights Medieval

D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
Who is he?

* E. Night Movies

E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
of an aging B-movie queen?

E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
$10,000 hidden by her executed husband?

* F. New York Night Life

We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
you name the venue.

F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
Armstrong.

F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
and "Green Book".

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "Evpuneq" be "Fve Evpuneq" sbe Urael VV'f fhpprffbe, cyrnfr
tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "C and C++ are two different languages.
m...@vex.net That's UK policy..." -- Clive Feather

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 23, 2020, 1:57:35 AM3/23/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:iqWdnfX2uorW1uXDnZ2dnUU7-
N_N...@giganews.com:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr
>
> Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
> These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
> wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
> his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
> In each case you name the athlete.
>
> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

Lou Gehrig

> 2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
> 11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
> his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
> same year (2008).

Brett Favre

> 3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
> 10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
> appointments as senator and Governor-General.

Maurice Richard

> 4. Basketball; 1984-2000; small forward, power forward. NBA MVP
> 1993. 11 times NBA All-Star. NBA All-Star Game MVP 1991.
> Successful NBA Analyst.

Charles Barkley

> 6. Baseball; 1915-37; first baseman. World Series Champion 1926.
> Twice NL MVP (1925 and 1929). Twice Triple Crown winner (1922
> and 1925). Career batting average .358.

Rogers Hornsby (?)

> 10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
> Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
> 500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.

Mel Ott

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round of the Night
>
> * A. Nocturnal Animals
>
> A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
> large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
> measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
> shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
> primate to use -- what process?

echolocation

> A2. This nocturnal lemur, native to Madagascar, has rodent-style
> teeth that perpetually grow and a special thin middle finger
> that it uses to pull grubs out of trees. It is the world's
> largest nocturnal primate, and its name reminds us of an
> agreeable sailor. Name the creature.

aye-aye

> * B. Night Novels
>
> B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?

F. Scott Fitzgerald

> * D. (K)Nights Medieval
>
> D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
> in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
> leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
> against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
> the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
> rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

Richard I

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?

El Cid

> * E. Night Movies
>
> E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
> as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
> locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
> of an aging B-movie queen?

"Night Moves"

> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?

"The Night of the Hunter"

> * F. New York Night Life
>
> We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
> you name the venue.
>
> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

Cotton Club

> F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
> Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
> Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
> featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
> movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
> and "Green Book".

Copacabana

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Mar 23, 2020, 8:58:46 AM3/23/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr

> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

Lou Gehrig

> 3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
> 10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
> appointments as senator and Governor-General.

Hull; Howe

> 8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
> 8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
> Liberal MP 1962-65.

Howe; Hull

> 10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
> Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
> 500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.

Mel Ott

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round of the Night

> * A. Nocturnal Animals

> A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
> large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
> measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
> shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
> primate to use -- what process?

sonar

> * B. Night Novels

> B1. What mystery writer wrote "Gaudy Night"?

Dorothy Sayers

> B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?

F. Scott Foitzgerald

> * D. (K)Nights Medieval

> D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
> in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
> leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
> against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
> the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
> rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

Richard I

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?

El Cid

> * E. Night Movies

> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?

Night of the Hunter

> * F. New York Night Life

> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

The Cotton Club

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 23, 2020, 3:06:34 PM3/23/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
> large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
> measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
> shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
> primate to use -- what process?

Flying

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?

El Cid

Calvin

Mar 23, 2020, 9:00:16 PM3/23/20
On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 3:38:24 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr
>
> *This* is the sports round.
>
> Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
> These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
> wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
> his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
> In each case you name the athlete.
>
> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

Ruth, Gehrig

> 2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
> 11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
> his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
> same year (2008).

Favre

> 3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
> 10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
> appointments as senator and Governor-General.

Well I only know three hockey players, namely Orr, Howe and Gretzky. Given we can rule out Orr, I'll go with the other two in the stated order (though wasn't Gretzky 99)?

> 4. Basketball; 1984-2000; small forward, power forward. NBA MVP
> 1993. 11 times NBA All-Star. NBA All-Star Game MVP 1991.
> Successful NBA Analyst.

Worthy?

> 5. Baseball; 1978-98; desginated hitter, infielder, first baseman,
> manager. World Series Champion 1993. World Series MVP 1993.
> 7 times All-Star. Nicknamed "The Ignitor".
>
> 6. Baseball; 1915-37; first baseman. World Series Champion 1926.
> Twice NL MVP (1925 and 1929). Twice Triple Crown winner (1922
> and 1925). Career batting average .358.

Cobb, Ruth

> 7. Football; 1996-present; placekicker. 4 times Super Bowl
> Champion. 3 times Pro Bowl. NFL record for most points scored
> (2,668). Oldest player active in NFL as of the start of 2020.
>
> 8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
> 8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
> Liberal MP 1962-65.
>
> 9. Basketball; 2003-17; power forward. Twice NBA Champion (2012
> and 2013). 11 times NBA All-Star. All-NBA Second Team (2007).
> Career impacted by blood clots.

Nowitzki?

> 10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
> Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
> 500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.
>

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round of the Night
>
> * A. Nocturnal Animals
>
> A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
> large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
> measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
> shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
> primate to use -- what process?

Sonar

> A2. This nocturnal lemur, native to Madagascar, has rodent-style
> teeth that perpetually grow and a special thin middle finger
> that it uses to pull grubs out of trees. It is the world's
> largest nocturnal primate, and its name reminds us of an
> agreeable sailor. Name the creature.
>

> * B. Night Novels
>
> B1. What mystery writer wrote "Gaudy Night"?
> B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?

Fitzgerald

> * C. "Hockey Night in Canada"
>
> C1. Who filled in for Harry Neale when he was snowed in at his
> home in Buffalo on 2006-10-04, thus becoming the first
> woman to do color commentary on a "Hockey Night in Canada"
> broadcast?
>
> C2. In 1968, Dolores Claman did something very important for
> "Hockey Night in Canada". What did she do?
>

> * D. (K)Nights Medieval
>
> D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
> in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
> leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
> against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
> the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
> rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

Richard I

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?
>

> * E. Night Movies
>
> E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
> as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
> locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
> of an aging B-movie queen?
>
> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?
>

> * F. New York Night Life
>
> We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
> you name the venue.
>
> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

The Cotton Club?

> F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
> Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
> Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
> featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
> movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
> and "Green Book".

Nope

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Mar 23, 2020, 11:33:18 PM3/23/20
Mark Brader:
> > ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr

> > 8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
> > 8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
> > Liberal MP 1962-65.

Dan Blum:
> Howe; Hull

This is slightly amusing if you know that Bobby Hull and Gordie Howe
were two of the three great stars -- the third was Maurice Richard,
who was also guessed in this thread -- who simultaneously wore #9 for
their respective teams. I suppose Gretzky's #99 was chosen in homage
to that.
--
Mark Brader | The way the Giants are playing this season, Newton
Toronto | would have been better off standing on the wings

swp

Mar 24, 2020, 10:19:19 PM3/24/20
On Monday, March 23, 2020 at 1:38:24 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-20,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr
>
> *This* is the sports round.
>
> Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
> These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
> wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
> his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
> In each case you name the athlete.
>
> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

lou gehrig

> 2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
> 11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
> his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
> same year (2008).

brett favre

> 3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
> 10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
> appointments as senator and Governor-General.

jean beliveau

> 4. Basketball; 1984-2000; small forward, power forward. NBA MVP
> 1993. 11 times NBA All-Star. NBA All-Star Game MVP 1991.
> Successful NBA Analyst.

charles barkley

> 5. Baseball; 1978-98; desginated hitter, infielder, first baseman,
> manager. World Series Champion 1993. World Series MVP 1993.
> 7 times All-Star. Nicknamed "The Ignitor".

paul molitor

> 6. Baseball; 1915-37; first baseman. World Series Champion 1926.
> Twice NL MVP (1925 and 1929). Twice Triple Crown winner (1922
> and 1925). Career batting average .358.

rogers hornsby

> 7. Football; 1996-present; placekicker. 4 times Super Bowl
> Champion. 3 times Pro Bowl. NFL record for most points scored
> (2,668). Oldest player active in NFL as of the start of 2020.

adam vinatieri

> 8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
> 8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
> Liberal MP 1962-65.

red kelly

> 9. Basketball; 2003-17; power forward. Twice NBA Champion (2012
> and 2013). 11 times NBA All-Star. All-NBA Second Team (2007).
> Career impacted by blood clots.

chris bosh?

> 10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
> Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
> 500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.

mel ott

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round of the Night
>
> * A. Nocturnal Animals
>
> A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
> large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
> measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
> shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
> primate to use -- what process?

echolocation

> A2. This nocturnal lemur, native to Madagascar, has rodent-style
> teeth that perpetually grow and a special thin middle finger
> that it uses to pull grubs out of trees. It is the world's
> largest nocturnal primate, and its name reminds us of an
> agreeable sailor. Name the creature.

aye-aye

> * B. Night Novels
>
> B1. What mystery writer wrote "Gaudy Night"?

dorothy sayers

> B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?

f scott fitzgerald

> * C. "Hockey Night in Canada"
>
> C1. Who filled in for Harry Neale when he was snowed in at his
> home in Buffalo on 2006-10-04, thus becoming the first
> woman to do color commentary on a "Hockey Night in Canada"
> broadcast?

campbell?

> C2. In 1968, Dolores Claman did something very important for
> "Hockey Night in Canada". What did she do?

created the theme song?

> * D. (K)Nights Medieval
>
> D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
> in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
> leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
> against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
> the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
> rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

richard i

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?

el cid

> * E. Night Movies
>
> E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
> as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
> locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
> of an aging B-movie queen?

night moves

> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?

night of the hunter

> * F. New York Night Life
>
> We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
> you name the venue.
>
> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

the cotton club

> F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
> Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
> Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
> featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
> movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
> and "Green Book".

copacabana

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: if you just
> said "Richard" or "Sir Richard" for Henry II's successor, please
>
> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "C and C++ are two different languages.
> m...@vex.net That's UK policy..." -- Clive Feather
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp

Dan Tilque

Mar 25, 2020, 6:05:00 PM3/25/20
On 3/22/20 10:38 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr
>
> *This* is the sports round.
>
> Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
> These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
> wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
> his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
> In each case you name the athlete.
>
> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

Lou Gerhig

> 2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
> 11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
> his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
> same year (2008).

Brett Favre
echolocation

> A2. This nocturnal lemur, native to Madagascar, has rodent-style
> teeth that perpetually grow and a special thin middle finger
> that it uses to pull grubs out of trees. It is the world's
> largest nocturnal primate, and its name reminds us of an
> agreeable sailor. Name the creature.
>

> * B. Night Novels
>
> B1. What mystery writer wrote "Gaudy Night"?

Dorothy Sayers

> B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?
>

> * C. "Hockey Night in Canada"
>
> C1. Who filled in for Harry Neale when he was snowed in at his
> home in Buffalo on 2006-10-04, thus becoming the first
> woman to do color commentary on a "Hockey Night in Canada"
> broadcast?
>
> C2. In 1968, Dolores Claman did something very important for
> "Hockey Night in Canada". What did she do?
>

> * D. (K)Nights Medieval
>
> D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
> in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
> leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
> against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
> the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
> rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

Richard I

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?

El Cid

> * E. Night Movies
>
> E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
> as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
> locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
> of an aging B-movie queen?
>
> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?
>

> * F. New York Night Life
>
> We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
> you name the venue.
>
> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

Cotton Club

> F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
> Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
> Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
> featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
> movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
> and "Green Book".

21

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2020, 1:30:12 AM3/26/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-20,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr

> *This* is the sports round.

> Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
> These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
> wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
> his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
> In each case you name the athlete.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

Lou Gehrig. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.
2 for Calvin.

> 2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
> 11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
> his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
> same year (2008).

Brett Favre. 4 for Joshua, Calvin, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
> 10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
> appointments as senator and Governor-General.

Jean Béliveau. 4 for Stephen.

> 4. Basketball; 1984-2000; small forward, power forward. NBA MVP
> 1993. 11 times NBA All-Star. NBA All-Star Game MVP 1991.
> Successful NBA Analyst.

Charles Barkley. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 5. Baseball; 1978-98; desginated hitter, infielder, first baseman,
> manager. World Series Champion 1993. World Series MVP 1993.
> 7 times All-Star. Nicknamed "The Ignitor".

Paul Molitor. 4 for Stephen.

> 6. Baseball; 1915-37; first baseman. World Series Champion 1926.
> Twice NL MVP (1925 and 1929). Twice Triple Crown winner (1922
> and 1925). Career batting average .358.

Rogers Hornsby. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> 7. Football; 1996-present; placekicker. 4 times Super Bowl
> Champion. 3 times Pro Bowl. NFL record for most points scored
> (2,668). Oldest player active in NFL as of the start of 2020.

Adam Vinatieri. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
> 8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
> Liberal MP 1962-65.

Red Kelly. 4 for Stephen.

> 9. Basketball; 2003-17; power forward. Twice NBA Champion (2012
> and 2013). 11 times NBA All-Star. All-NBA Second Team (2007).
> Career impacted by blood clots.

Chris Bosh. 4 for Stephen.

> 10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
> Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
> 500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.

Mel Ott. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

(Or (or Orr): "Orr, Ott, what's the difference?")

> ** Game 2, Round 10 - Challenge Round of the Night

> * A. Nocturnal Animals

> A1. A 2017 study suggests that Gursky's spectral tarsiers,
> large-eyed nocturnal primates that weigh 4-5 ounces and
> measure 4-5 inches from head to rear, emit loud communicative
> shrieks undetectable to human ears. They are the only
> primate to use -- what process?

Echolocation. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Stephen,
and Dan Tilque.

> A2. This nocturnal lemur, native to Madagascar, has rodent-style
> teeth that perpetually grow and a special thin middle finger
> that it uses to pull grubs out of trees. It is the world's
> largest nocturnal primate, and its name reminds us of an
> agreeable sailor. Name the creature.

Aye-aye. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> * B. Night Novels

> B1. What mystery writer wrote "Gaudy Night"?

Dorothy L. Sayers. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> B2. Who wrote the novel "Tender is the Night"?

F. Scott Fitzgerald 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Stephen.

> * C. "Hockey Night in Canada"

> C1. Who filled in for Harry Neale when he was snowed in at his
> home in Buffalo on 2006-10-04, thus becoming the first
> woman to do color commentary on a "Hockey Night in Canada"
> broadcast?

Cassie Campbell. 4 for Stephen.

> C2. In 1968, Dolores Claman did something very important for
> "Hockey Night in Canada". What did she do?

Wrote the new theme music. 4 for Stephen.

Until then the broadcast had used a jingle from the primary sponsor's
commercials as its theme. Claman's theme was used on HNIC from
1968 until 2008 when a competing broadcaster bought the rights to it
and began using it themselves.

> * D. (K)Nights Medieval

> D1. This knight succeeded his father Henry II as King of England
> in 1189 and confirmed his reputation as a great military
> leader on the Third Crusade (1189-92). He later fought
> against Philip II of France and died in 1199 while besieging
> the Charles-Chabrol castle, probably from sepsis or gangrene
> rather than a poisoned arrow as long believed. Who is he?

Richard I (or Richard the Lionheart; number or soubriquet required).
4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> D2. This knight spent most of his life fighting against the
> Moors. In 1094, he captured the city of Valencia from the
> Moors and formally ruled the city in the name of Alfonso VI.
> Who is he?

El Cid (or Rodrigo Díaz de Vivar). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> * E. Night Movies

> E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
> as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
> locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
> of an aging B-movie queen?

"Night Moves". 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?

"The Night of the Hunter". 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Stephen.

> * F. New York Night Life

> We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
> you name the venue.

> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

Cotton Club. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Stephen, and Dan Tilque.

> F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
> Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
> Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
> featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
> movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
> and "Green Book".

Copacabana. 4 for Joshua and Stephen.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 9 10 BEST
TOPICS-> Lit Sci His Can Ent Mis Spo Cha SIX
Stephen Perry 40 40 40 32 32 40 40 48 248
Joshua Kreitzer 36 28 32 0 29 28 20 36 189
Dan Blum 36 27 30 0 24 0 8 28 153
"Calvin" 0 22 24 0 15 19 6 16 102
Dan Tilque 20 16 24 4 4 4 8 20 92
Bruce Bowler 4 36 20 0 -- -- -- -- 60
Pete Gayde -- -- 10 0 0 8 -- -- 18
Erland Sommarskog 0 4 -- -- -- -- 0 4 8

--
Mark Brader | "Define 'irritating'."
Toronto | "Well, no, you look it up, Mr. Encyclopedia."

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2020, 1:31:15 AM3/26/20
Oh yeah. Game 2 is over and the winner, to nobody's surprise, is
STEPHEN PERRY. Hearty congratulations, eh?
--
Mark Brader | "Rleadse negiifu uoug assount 'u somrletiing the fogm...
Toronto | We arologiize fog anu iinsonneniiense."

Pete Gayde

Mar 26, 2020, 4:08:12 PM3/26/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:iqWdnfX2uorW1uXDnZ2dnUU7-
N_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-01-20,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Game 2, Round 9 - Sports - #4, Not Just Orr
>
> *This* is the sports round.
>
> Bobby Orr isn't the only great athlete who wore #4 on his jersey.
> These players from the NHL, NFL, NBA, or major-league baseball all
> wore #4 as well. We'll tell you the sport, the years he played,
> his position(s), and four other facts about his life and career.
> In each case you name the athlete.
>
> 1. Baseball; 1923-39; first base. Triple Crown winner 1934. AL MVP
> 1927 and 1936. 6 times World Series Champion. 2,130 consecutive
> games played.

Lou Gehrig

> 2. Football; 1991-2010; quarterback. 3 times AP NFL MVP (1995-97).
> 11 times Pro Bowl. Super Bowl XXXI Champion (1997). Announced
> his retirement and filed for reinstatement in the NFL in the
> same year (2008).
>
> 3. Hockey; 1950-71; center. Twice Hart Memorial Trophy winner.
> 10 times All-Star. 10 times Stanley Cup winner. Declined
> appointments as senator and Governor-General.

Jean Beliveau

> 4. Basketball; 1984-2000; small forward, power forward. NBA MVP
> 1993. 11 times NBA All-Star. NBA All-Star Game MVP 1991.
> Successful NBA Analyst.

Charles Barkley

> 5. Baseball; 1978-98; desginated hitter, infielder, first baseman,
> manager. World Series Champion 1993. World Series MVP 1993.
> 7 times All-Star. Nicknamed "The Ignitor".

Paul Molitor

> 6. Baseball; 1915-37; first baseman. World Series Champion 1926.
> Twice NL MVP (1925 and 1929). Twice Triple Crown winner (1922
> and 1925). Career batting average .358.

Rogers Hornsby

> 7. Football; 1996-present; placekicker. 4 times Super Bowl
> Champion. 3 times Pro Bowl. NFL record for most points scored
> (2,668). Oldest player active in NFL as of the start of 2020.
>
> 8. Hockey; 1947-67; center, defenseman. 8 times Stanley Cup winner.
> 8 times All-Star. 4 times Lady Byng Memorial Trophy winner.
> Liberal MP 1962-65.

Maurice Richard

> 9. Basketball; 2003-17; power forward. Twice NBA Champion (2012
> and 2013). 11 times NBA All-Star. All-NBA Second Team (2007).
> Career impacted by blood clots.
>
> 10. Baseball; 1926-47; right fielder, outfielder. World Series
> Champion 1933. 12 times All Star. First NL player to surpass
> 500 career home runs. Familiar to crossword-puzzle enthusiasts.

Mel Ott
El Cid

> * E. Night Movies
>
> E1. What is the title of the 1975 movie starring Gene Hackman
> as a hard-nosed private investigator who takes a case to
> locate the runaway daughter, played by Melanie Griffith,
> of an aging B-movie queen?
>
> E2. What is the title of the 1955 movie starring Robert Mitchum
> as a corrupt minister turned killer who attempts to charm
> an unsuspecting widow, played by Shelley Winters, and steal
> $10,000 hidden by her executed husband?
>

> * F. New York Night Life
>
> We'll give you some info about a venue for New York night life;
> you name the venue.
>
> F1. Open from 1923 to 1940. Located on 142 St. at Lenox Av.
> until 1935. Known for white-glove service -- and for
> ignoring Prohibition -- it featured performances by
> jazz greats like Duke Ellington, Cab Calloway, and Louis
> Armstrong.

Cotton Club

> F2. Opened 1940-11-10. Located at 10 E. 60 St. in Hell's
> Kitchen. Owned by mobster Frank Costello. Known for
> Brazilian decor, Latin-themed orchestras, and a menu
> featuring Chinese food. It was used as a setting in many
> movies, including "Goodfellas", "Raging Bull", "Tootsie",
> and "Green Book".
>

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Evpuneq" be "Fve Evpuneq" sbe Urael VV'f fhpprffbe, cyrnfr
> tb onpx naq or zber fcrpvsvp.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Mar 26, 2020, 7:08:00 PM3/26/20
If Pete Gayde had posted his answers on time, he would have scored
24 on Round 9 and 8 on Round 10 for a final score of 50 -- not enough
to move up from 7th to 6th place.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "So *you* say." --Toddy Beamish
m...@vex.net | (H.G. Wells, "The Man Who Could Work Miracles")