rotating quiz #33 - the revenge of the fallen

swp

Sep 21, 2011, 1:28:48 PM9/21/11
good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.

each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme, and figuring it out is worth 4 points.

use only your own knowledge/memory; remember, we work on the honor system here.

1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.

2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him in the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that half-brother's name?

3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give either the short name or its much longer full name.

5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his first day at work?

6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?

7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin summer home.

8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

I'll reveal the answers in about 5 days time. good luck!

swp

Mark Brader

Sep 21, 2011, 3:50:20 PM9/21/11
Stephen Perry:
> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the
> year she won 2 hugo awards.

1993?

> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid
> has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him
> in the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that
> half-brother's name?

Grawp, I think.

> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first
> to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

I guess you want Braille. However, there were earlier systems based on
dot-grids; Braille's innovation was to use only 6 dots.

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give
> either the short name or its much longer full name.

All I can think of is Bedlam, for which I'm pretty sure the present tense
would be wrong, and I'm not sure about "Europe's oldest" either.

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his
> first day at work?

For improvising a sexualized parody of Mickey Mouse.

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?

Shakespeare in Love.

> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin
> summer home.

Taliesin? Was that a poet?

> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which
> neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

Coral Sea.

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO.

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

Allen?

> there is an overall theme

Questions previously used in the RQ?
--
Mark Brader | "Don't you want to... see my ID? ... I could be anybody."
Toronto | "No you couldn't, sir. This is Information Retrieval."

Jeffrey Turner

Sep 21, 2011, 8:51:37 PM9/21/11
On 9/21/2011 1:28 PM, swp wrote:
> good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.
>
> each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme, and figuring it out is worth 4 points.
>
> use only your own knowledge/memory; remember, we work on the honor system here.
>

> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.
>
> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him in the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that half-brother's name?
>
> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

Morse code

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give either the short name or its much longer full name.
>
> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his first day at work?
>
> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?
>
> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin summer home.
>
> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?
>
> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?
>
> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

Jack Paar

--Jeff

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 21, 2011, 11:29:23 PM9/21/11
In article <4500639.3.1316626128078.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@vbba7>,
Stephen...@gmail.com says...
> good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.
>
> each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme, and figuring it out is worth 4 points.
>
> use only your own knowledge/memory; remember, we work on the honor system here.
>

> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.
>
> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him in the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that half-brother's name?
>
> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?
Braille

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give either the short name or its much longer full name.
Bedlam

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his first day at work?
In the Disney cafeteria, he loudly described making a porn flick with Disney characters.

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?
>
> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin summer home.
>
> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?
>
> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?
NATO

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?
Jack Paar

Theme: The Rotating Quiz Hall of Fame (reused questions)

--
Go to http://MarcDashevsky.com to send me e-mail.

Joachim Parsch

Sep 22, 2011, 2:12:43 AM9/22/11

swp schrieb:

> good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.
>
> each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme, and figuring it out is worth 4 points.
>
> use only your own knowledge/memory; remember, we work on the honor system here.
>
> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award,
> or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.
>
> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn
> that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley
> played him in the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that
> half-brother's name?

Grawp.

> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been
> the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

Morse Code.

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give
> either the short name or its much longer full name.
>
> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on
> his first day at work?

Because he wanted Micky to have Sex with Minnie;
because he called founder Walt Disney an "old motherfucker"?

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?

Shakespeare in Love.

> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin summer home.
>
> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which
> neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

The Battle of French King Philipp the Blind against Admiral
Edward the Shortsighted?

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO.

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

Joachim

robpparker SPAM @foroptusnet.com.aume Rob Parker

Sep 22, 2011, 3:38:10 AM9/22/11
> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the year
> she won 2 hugo awards.
>
> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid
> has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him in
> the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that half-brother's
> name?
>
> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first
> to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?
>
> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give either
> the short name or its much longer full name.

Bedlam

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his
> first day at work?

He claimed to have made a pornographic movie with Disney characters

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?
>
> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin
> summer home.
>
> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which
> neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

Midway

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

Rob

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 22, 2011, 5:33:22 PM9/22/11
swp (Stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme, and figuring
> it out is worth 4 points.

All these questions have appeared here before. Some in your quizzes, but
I believe you have also borrowed some other people's questions as well.
Unfortunately, I don't remember all answers...

> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the
> year she won 2 hugo awards.

1982

> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first
> to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

Braille

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give
> either the short name or its much longer full name.

Bedlam

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his
> first day at work?

He used profane and explicit language at lunch

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?

Gone with the Wind

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO

Calvin

Sep 22, 2011, 6:59:43 PM9/22/11
On Sep 22, 3:28 am, swp <Stephen.W.Pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.
>
> each question is worth 1 point.  there is an overall theme, and figuring it out is worth 4 points.
>
> use only your own knowledge/memory; remember, we work on the honor system here.
>
> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.

1968

> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him in the movie, to the extent that any human did.  What is that half-brother's name?
>

> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?
>
> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum?  you may give either the short name or its much longer full name.

Bedlam

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his first day at work?

He drew Mickey Mouse in a compromising position

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?

American Beauty

> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin summer home.

Dylan Thomas?

> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

Battle of the Coral Sea

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

Carson?

I believe the theme is that all these questions have appeared in rgt
perviously :-)

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Sep 23, 2011, 4:02:24 AM9/23/11
swp wrote:
> good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.
>
> each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme, and figuring it out is worth 4 points.

Is it that you were too lazy to think of new questions so you recycled
questions from previous rotating quizzes?

> use only your own knowledge/memory; remember, we work on the honor system here.
>

> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award, or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.

1981

> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony maudsley played him in the movie, to the extent that any human did. What is that half-brother's name?
>
> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

Braille

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may give either the short name or its much longer full name.

Bedlam

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios on his first day at work?

suggesting inappropriate stories for Disney characters

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?
>
> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his wisconsin summer home.

Talesin

> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in which neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

Hey that was one of mine... Battle of the Coral Sea

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

Steve Allen

--
Dan Tilque

Keeping Pluto dead has taken a lot of work.
-- Mike Brown "How I killed Pluto and Why It Had It Coming"

swp

Sep 29, 2011, 7:40:57 PM9/29/11
On Wednesday, September 21, 2011 1:28:48 PM UTC-4, swp wrote:
> good day, and welcome to rotating quiz number thirty three.
>
> each question is worth 1 point. there is an overall theme,
> and figuring it out is worth 4 points.

the theme was "previous questions that only 1 person got right in the original quiz"

> 1. what year did Connie Willis win her first hugo award,
> or name the year she won 2 hugo awards.

1983 (fire watch), 1993 (even the queen, death on the nile)

> 2. in "Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix", we learn
> that hagrid has a half-brother with an even shorter name; tony
> maudsley played him in the movie, to the extent that any human
> did. What is that half-brother's name?

grawp

> 3. What writing system in use today can be seen as having been
> the first to use a binary encoding scheme for its characters?

braille (previous protests need not be repeated)

> 4. what is the name of europe's oldest insane asylum? you may
> give either the short name or its much longer full name.

the bethlehem royal hospital (aka bedlam)

> 5. why was Harlan Ellison fired as a writer for disney studios
> on his first day at work?

for suggesting a disney porno flick. it was never made, nor written, merely spoken about loudly at the studio commissary.

> 6. what movie was the next best picture oscar winner after "titanic"?

"Shakespeare in Love"

> 7. name the welsh poet after whom frank lloyd wright named his
> wisconsin summer home.

Taliesin

> 8. what was the first fleet-to-fleet naval battle in history in
> which neither side's ships sighted nor fired upon each other?

Battle of the Coral Sea

> 9. what organization was established on april 4th, 1949?

NATO

> 10. who quit _the tonight show_ on april 4th 1967?

johnny carson

> I'll reveal the answers in about 5 days time. good luck!

ok, so I was a little late. buying a house will do that to ya.

name total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Bonus
-------- ----- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
Mark B 9 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0
Jeff T 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
Marc D 4 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
Joachim 4+ 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 + 1 0
Rob P 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
Erland 4 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
Calvin 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1
Dan T 8 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 2
Total 0 1 2 4 6 5 2 2 3+ 7 1 2

the winner by a clear margin is Mark Brader! Congratulations Mark! #34 is yours to do with as you see fit.

swp

Mark Brader

Sep 30, 2011, 9:41:51 AM9/30/11
Stephen Perry:

> name total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Bonus
> -------- ----- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> Mark B 9 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0
> Jeff T 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> Marc D 4 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
> Joachim 4+ 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 + 1 0
> Rob P 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
> Erland 4 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
> Calvin 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1
> Dan T 8 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 2
> Total 0 1 2 4 6 5 2 2 3+ 7 1 2
>
> the winner by a clear margin is Mark Brader!

Thanks. It would be a clearer margin if you hadn't awarded
2 points to Dan Tilque and 0 to me for saying essentially the
same thing.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "X-ray of girl shows bureaucratic mentality"
m...@vex.net | --Globe & Mail, Toronto, January 18, 1988

David

Sep 30, 2011, 9:55:48 AM9/30/11
"Mark Brader" wrote in message

Stephen Perry:

> name total 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Bonus
> -------- ----- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -- -----
> Mark B 9 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0
> Jeff T 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> Marc D 4 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
> Joachim 4+ 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 + 1 0
> Rob P 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0
> Erland 4 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 1 0
> Calvin 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 1
> Dan T 8 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 2
> Total 0 1 2 4 6 5 2 2 3+ 7 1 2
>
> the winner by a clear margin is Mark Brader!

Thanks. It would be a clearer margin if you hadn't awarded
2 points to Dan Tilque and 0 to me for saying essentially the
same thing.

....and Marc, Erland, Calvin and Dan.

swp

Sep 30, 2011, 11:24:21 AM9/30/11
On Friday, September 30, 2011 9:41:51 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> > the winner by a clear margin is Mark Brader!
>
> Thanks. It would be a clearer margin if you hadn't awarded
> 2 points to Dan Tilque and 0 to me for saying essentially the
> same thing.

it wasn't that they were recycled, it was that I was being lazy and picked specific questions that only 1 person got right the first time around. everyone else merely mentioned that they were recycled.

swp

Mark Brader

Sep 30, 2011, 11:28:04 AM9/30/11
Stephen Perry:
>>> the winner by a clear margin is Mark Brader!

Mark Brader:
>> Thanks. It would be a clearer margin if you hadn't awarded
>> 2 points to Dan Tilque and 0 to me for saying essentially the
>> same thing.

Stephen Perry:
> it wasn't that they were recycled, it was that I was being lazy and
> picked specific questions that only 1 person got right the first time
> around. everyone else merely mentioned that they were recycled.

Well, nobody got the "only 1 person right" part. So the 2 points was
for impolitely mentioning your laziness? Okay, fair enough.
--
Mark Brader | "It can be amusing, even if painful, to watch the
Toronto | ethnocentrism of those who are convinced their

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 30, 2011, 11:21:17 PM9/30/11
In article <27459963.430.1317396261885.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqjw35>,
Stephen...@gmail.com says...
I cannot find any instance of Dan mentioning that in
the previous appearance only one person got the answer.

Mark Brader

Sep 30, 2011, 11:35:28 PM9/30/11
Stephen Perry:

Mark Brader:
>>> Thanks. It would be a clearer margin if you hadn't awarded
>>> 2 points to Dan Tilque and 0 to me for saying essentially the
>>> same thing.

Stephen Perry:
>> it wasn't that they were recycled, it was that I was being lazy and
>> picked specific questions that only 1 person got right the first time
>> around. everyone else merely mentioned that they were recycled.

Marc Dashevsky:
> I cannot find any instance of Dan mentioning that in
> the previous appearance only one person got the answer.

Which no doubt was why Dan only got half points on the question.
But he did mention that Stephen was being lazy, unlike me.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Where is down special?" ... "Good."
m...@vex.net | "Do you refuse to answer my question?" "Don't know."

swp

Oct 1, 2011, 12:42:04 PM10/1/11
to use...@marcdashevsky.com
correct. that's why he got 2 points and not the full 4.

swp

Marc Dashevsky

Oct 1, 2011, 1:05:34 PM10/1/11
In article <32616490.228.1317487324303.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqlb4>,
Stephen...@gmail.com says...
> On Friday, September 30, 2011 11:21:17 PM UTC-4, Marc Dashevsky wrote:
> > In article <27459963.430.1317396261885.JavaMail.geo-discussion-forums@yqjw35>,
> > Stephen...@gmail.com says...

> > > it wasn't that they were recycled, it was that I was being lazy and picked specific questions that only 1 person got right the first time around. everyone else merely mentioned that they were recycled.
> >
> > I cannot find any instance of Dan mentioning that in
> > the previous appearance only one person got the answer.
>
> correct. that's why he got 2 points and not the full 4.

To the best of my ability, I cannot find any difference between
Dan's answer and those of Mark, me and the others that David
identified.

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 1, 2011, 4:48:11 PM10/1/11
swp (Stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
>> I cannot find any instance of Dan mentioning that in
>> the previous appearance only one person got the answer.
>
> correct. that's why he got 2 points and not the full 4.

I think Dan should be awarded four points. While you only get two points
yourself. At most.

To wit, in Rotating Quiz #10 at least two of us answered NATO (I and Pete).
This was the quiz where Stephen numbered the questions from 0 and then
messed up the scorecard, which explain why he thinks only person knew
that question.

See
http://www.gamesforum.ca/showthread.php?s=32c92afa77d2daa7682359e3de84b693&t
=541848

(That was the hit Google Groups gave me.)

There were also six (at least) that knew about Bedlam. See
http://www.gamesforum.ca/showthread.php?t=539436

So, it's not correct that that all questions had only one correct answer.
But it's certainly correct that you were lazy. :-)

I would suggest that Mark B, Marc D, myself, Calvin and Dan T all should
be awarded four points. At least we can chalk that up in our private
notebooks. (I put next to the page where I counted all bridges in
Stockholm. :-)