QFTCI5GNM15 Current Events 7-8

Mark Brader

Jun 24, 2015, 8:29:04 PM6/24/15
And now, the two current-events rounds that were played while I
was away. These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on
the dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected
to give the answers that were correct on those dates.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

As usual, these questions are running concurrently with the posting
of regular rounds, currently from Game 9 of the previous season.

All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events

1. 50 Canadian churches rang their bells Thursday in whose honor?

2. Who won the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix yesterday?

3. Name either the Conservative leader in the Senate, or else his
now-unofficial Liberal counterpart. Both are among the senators
named in auditor-general Michael Ferguson's forthcoming audit
of expenses.

4. An opposition private member's bill, Bill 77, was passed in
the Ontario legislature Thursday. What does it ban?

5. Name either the operation, or the gang targeted, when more than
700 officers from various forces executed 50 search warrants
in Southern Ontario Thursday.

6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?

7. Premier Wynne is proposing to increase the number of seats in the
Ontario legislature. How many seats more, or how many in total,
will there be if the proposal goes through? (You must say
which question you are answering.)

8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
card?

9. Hannah White set a Guinness world record for the fastest what?

10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?

* Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Name the prime minister who sparked outrage when he said:
"I am happy that the Bangladesh prime minister, despite being
a woman, has declared zero tolerance for terrorism."

2. A Nobel-prizewinning British scientist also drew complaints
when, speaking at the World Conference of Science Journalists in
South Korea, he said there was "trouble" with "girls" working
in laboratories. Name this scientist, who resigned from his
honorary post at University College London last week.

3. What longstanding NHL post-season tradition did Mark Lazarus,
chairman of NBC Sports, reportedly ask the NHL to ban, in order
to improve the marketability of players?

4. Give the full name of the NHL team that may find itself
homeless soon. This team plays in a city-owned arena under a
lease agreement that last week the city's council voted to end.

5. What is the commonly used term for the controversial policing
practice that Mayor John Tory spoke out against a week ago
Sunday? The practice has been suspended since January 1, has
been widely criticized, and is the subject of a constitutional
challenge.

6. Name the host of CBC's "Power & Politics" who was fired last
week after a "Toronto Star" investigation revealed that he had
brokered art deals involving involving people he had dealt with
as a journalist.

7. Name the so-called "technology company" that drew criticism
for charging 5 times its normal rate in some of areas of Toronto
during the subway closure last Monday morning.

8. Name the company that reportedly paid $30,000,000 for the
distribution rights to the satirical comedy "War Machine",
starring Brad Pitt.

9. Name the veteran actor who died at the age of 93, who was best
known for playing Dracula, Saruman (in the "Lord of the Rings"
movies), and Count Dooku (in the "Star Wars" prequels).

10. Name the actor, best known for playing Uncle Jesse on "Full
House", who was arrested for driving under the influence in
Beverly Hills last Friday.

--
Mark Brader | "But it doesn't matter what we think. If everyone
Toronto | else thinks it's real, they'll want to stop it
| ("Yes, Prime Minister" (2013), Lynn & Jay)

Dan Blum

Jun 24, 2015, 8:40:06 PM6/24/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. 50 Canadian churches rang their bells Thursday in whose honor?

the Pope

> 6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
> capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?

South China Sea; Indian Ocean

> 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> card?

$6; $9

> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?

American Pharoah

> * Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events

> 2. A Nobel-prizewinning British scientist also drew complaints
> when, speaking at the World Conference of Science Journalists in
> South Korea, he said there was "trouble" with "girls" working
> in laboratories. Name this scientist, who resigned from his
> honorary post at University College London last week.

Hunt

> 4. Give the full name of the NHL team that may find itself
> homeless soon. This team plays in a city-owned arena under a
> lease agreement that last week the city's council voted to end.

Buffalo Sabres; Columbus Blue Jackets

> 5. What is the commonly used term for the controversial policing
> practice that Mayor John Tory spoke out against a week ago
> Sunday? The practice has been suspended since January 1, has
> been widely criticized, and is the subject of a constitutional
> challenge.

stop and frisk

> 7. Name the so-called "technology company" that drew criticism
> for charging 5 times its normal rate in some of areas of Toronto
> during the subway closure last Monday morning.

Uber

> 9. Name the veteran actor who died at the age of 93, who was best
> known for playing Dracula, Saruman (in the "Lord of the Rings"
> movies), and Count Dooku (in the "Star Wars" prequels).

Christopher Lee

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Jun 24, 2015, 11:35:53 PM6/24/15
Mark Brader:
> > 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> > from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> > card?

Dan Blum:
> $6; $9

Ah, the old 2n+1 tactic. Now won't you feel silly if the answer turns
out to be $7.50? (Evil grin.)
--
Mark Brader | "shenli" Silent Domolition Agent uses in exploiting
Toronto | and cutting rock and non-explosive fragmentate and

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 25, 2015, 3:51:29 AM6/25/15
In article <d-qdnbryyb7S1hbI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
> capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?
Yangtzee River (this was asked in another quiz recently)

> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?
American Pharoah

> * Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 9. Name the veteran actor who died at the age of 93, who was best
> known for playing Dracula, Saruman (in the "Lord of the Rings"
> movies), and Count Dooku (in the "Star Wars" prequels).
Christopher Lee

> 10. Name the actor, best known for playing Uncle Jesse on "Full
> House", who was arrested for driving under the influence in
> Beverly Hills last Friday.
John Stamos

Joshua Kreitzer

Jun 25, 2015, 9:18:08 AM6/25/15
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:d-qdnbryyb7S1hbInZ2dnUU7-
LGd...@vex.net:

> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?

American Pharoah

> * Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the prime minister who sparked outrage when he said:
> "I am happy that the Bangladesh prime minister, despite being
> a woman, has declared zero tolerance for terrorism."

Modi

> 3. What longstanding NHL post-season tradition did Mark Lazarus,
> chairman of NBC Sports, reportedly ask the NHL to ban, in order
> to improve the marketability of players?

growing a beard for the playoffs

> 4. Give the full name of the NHL team that may find itself
> homeless soon. This team plays in a city-owned arena under a
> lease agreement that last week the city's council voted to end.

Ottawa Senators

> 7. Name the so-called "technology company" that drew criticism
> for charging 5 times its normal rate in some of areas of Toronto
> during the subway closure last Monday morning.

Uber

> 8. Name the company that reportedly paid $30,000,000 for the
> distribution rights to the satirical comedy "War Machine",
> starring Brad Pitt.

Netflix

> 9. Name the veteran actor who died at the age of 93, who was best
> known for playing Dracula, Saruman (in the "Lord of the Rings"
> movies), and Count Dooku (in the "Star Wars" prequels).

Christopher Lee

> 10. Name the actor, best known for playing Uncle Jesse on "Full
> House", who was arrested for driving under the influence in
> Beverly Hills last Friday.

John Stamos

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Jun 25, 2015, 10:10:51 AM6/25/15
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > > 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> > > from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> > > card?
>
> Dan Blum:
> > $6; $9

> Ah, the old 2n+1 tactic. Now won't you feel silly if the answer turns
> out to be $7.50? (Evil grin.)

Not very, since these are nearly complete guesses.

Peter Smyth

Jun 25, 2015, 1:15:40 PM6/25/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> And now, the two current-events rounds that were played while I
> was away. These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on
> the dates indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly.
> If any answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected
> to give the answers that were correct on those dates.

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> As usual, these questions are running concurrently with the posting
> of regular rounds, currently from Game 9 of the previous season.
>
> All questions were written by members of Five Guys Named Moe, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. 50 Canadian churches rang their bells Thursday in whose honor?
The Pope
> 2. Who won the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix yesterday?
Hamilton
> 3. Name either the Conservative leader in the Senate, or else his
> now-unofficial Liberal counterpart. Both are among the senators
> named in auditor-general Michael Ferguson's forthcoming audit
> of expenses.
>
> 4. An opposition private member's bill, Bill 77, was passed in
> the Ontario legislature Thursday. What does it ban?
Smoking in public
> 5. Name either the operation, or the gang targeted, when more than
> 700 officers from various forces executed 50 search warrants
> in Southern Ontario Thursday.
>
> 6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
> capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?
Mediterranean
> 7. Premier Wynne is proposing to increase the number of seats in the
> Ontario legislature. How many seats more, or how many in total,
> will there be if the proposal goes through? (You must say
> which question you are answering.)
50 more
> 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> card?
$8, $10
> 9. Hannah White set a Guinness world record for the fastest what?
>
> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?
American Pharoah

> * Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the prime minister who sparked outrage when he said:
> "I am happy that the Bangladesh prime minister, despite being
> a woman, has declared zero tolerance for terrorism."
Modi
> 2. A Nobel-prizewinning British scientist also drew complaints
> when, speaking at the World Conference of Science Journalists in
> South Korea, he said there was "trouble" with "girls" working
> in laboratories. Name this scientist, who resigned from his
> honorary post at University College London last week.
Rice
> 3. What longstanding NHL post-season tradition did Mark Lazarus,
> chairman of NBC Sports, reportedly ask the NHL to ban, in order
> to improve the marketability of players?
drinking from the Stanley Cup
> 4. Give the full name of the NHL team that may find itself
> homeless soon. This team plays in a city-owned arena under a
> lease agreement that last week the city's council voted to end.
>
> 5. What is the commonly used term for the controversial policing
> practice that Mayor John Tory spoke out against a week ago
> Sunday? The practice has been suspended since January 1, has
> been widely criticized, and is the subject of a constitutional
> challenge.
>
> 6. Name the host of CBC's "Power & Politics" who was fired last
> week after a "Toronto Star" investigation revealed that he had
> brokered art deals involving involving people he had dealt with
> as a journalist.
>
> 7. Name the so-called "technology company" that drew criticism
> for charging 5 times its normal rate in some of areas of Toronto
> during the subway closure last Monday morning.
Uber
> 8. Name the company that reportedly paid $30,000,000 for the
> distribution rights to the satirical comedy "War Machine",
> starring Brad Pitt.
>
> 9. Name the veteran actor who died at the age of 93, who was best
> known for playing Dracula, Saruman (in the "Lord of the Rings"
> movies), and Count Dooku (in the "Star Wars" prequels).
Christopher Lee
> 10. Name the actor, best known for playing Uncle Jesse on "Full
> House", who was arrested for driving under the influence in
> Beverly Hills last Friday.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Jun 25, 2015, 2:23:09 PM6/25/15
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Who won the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix yesterday?

Sebastian Vettel

> 6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
> capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?

Yangtze

> 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> card?

12

> * Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Name the prime minister who sparked outrage when he said:
> "I am happy that the Bangladesh prime minister, despite being
> a woman, has declared zero tolerance for terrorism."

Modi

> 2. A Nobel-prizewinning British scientist also drew complaints
> when, speaking at the World Conference of Science Journalists in
> South Korea, he said there was "trouble" with "girls" working
> in laboratories. Name this scientist, who resigned from his
> honorary post at University College London last week.

Thomson

> 3. What longstanding NHL post-season tradition did Mark Lazarus,
> chairman of NBC Sports, reportedly ask the NHL to ban, in order
> to improve the marketability of players?

Growing a beard during Stanley Cup.

Jason Kreitzer

Jun 26, 2015, 5:32:14 PM6/26/15
Christopher Lee
> 10. Name the actor, best known for playing Uncle Jesse on "Full
> House", who was arrested for driving under the influence in
> Beverly Hills last Friday.
John Stamos

Dan Tilque

Jun 27, 2015, 4:29:53 AM6/27/15
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. 50 Canadian churches rang their bells Thursday in whose honor?
>
> 2. Who won the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix yesterday?
>
> 3. Name either the Conservative leader in the Senate, or else his
> now-unofficial Liberal counterpart. Both are among the senators
> named in auditor-general Michael Ferguson's forthcoming audit
> of expenses.
>
> 4. An opposition private member's bill, Bill 77, was passed in
> the Ontario legislature Thursday. What does it ban?
>
> 5. Name either the operation, or the gang targeted, when more than
> 700 officers from various forces executed 50 search warrants
> in Southern Ontario Thursday.
>
> 6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
> capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?

Yangtze River

> 7. Premier Wynne is proposing to increase the number of seats in the
> Ontario legislature. How many seats more, or how many in total,
> will there be if the proposal goes through? (You must say
> which question you are answering.)
>
> 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> card?

$3

> 9. Hannah White set a Guinness world record for the fastest what?
>
> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?

American Pharaoh
Uber; Lyft

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Jun 27, 2015, 11:51:26 PM6/27/15
Mark Brader:
> And now, the two current-events rounds that were played while
> I was away...

Since these rounds were delayed, the next set will follow in just
a few days.

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated below, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any
> answers have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to
> give the answers that were correct on those dates... For further
> information see my 2015-02-23 companion posting on "Questions from
> the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7 (2015-06-08), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. 50 Canadian churches rang their bells Thursday in whose honor?

The missing and murdered aboriginal women (on the RCMP list).

> 2. Who won the Canadian Formula 1 Grand Prix yesterday?

Lewis Hamilton. 4 for Peter.

> 3. Name either the Conservative leader in the Senate, or else his
> now-unofficial Liberal counterpart. Both are among the senators
> named in auditor-general Michael Ferguson's forthcoming audit
> of expenses.

Claude Carignan, James Cowan.

> 4. An opposition private member's bill, Bill 77, was passed in
> the Ontario legislature Thursday. What does it ban?

(LGBTQ) "Conversion Therapy".

> 5. Name either the operation, or the gang targeted, when more than
> 700 officers from various forces executed 50 search warrants
> in Southern Ontario Thursday.

Project Pharaoh, the Monstarz.

> 6. More than 400 people died when the cruise ship Eastern Star
> capsized last Monday -- on what body of water?

Yangtze River. 4 for Marc, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. Premier Wynne is proposing to increase the number of seats in the
> Ontario legislature. How many seats more, or how many in total,
> will there be if the proposal goes through? (You must say
> which question you are answering.)

15 more, making 122.

> 8. Within $1, how much is the adult one-way fare on the new train
> from Union Station to Pearson Airport, if not using a Presto
> card?

$27.50 (accepting $26.50-$28.50). Nobody came within $15, let
alone $1.

I can confirm this answer by personal experience, by the way, as
I was actually riding that train to the airport at about the same
time that this question was being asked. There were 7 passengers
on board the 2-car train. But it was evening, and only the third
day of service.

> 9. Hannah White set a Guinness world record for the fastest what?

Single-handed dinghy crossing of the English Channel.

> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?

American Pharaoh. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Peter,
and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 8 (2015-06-15), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Name the prime minister who sparked outrage when he said:
> "I am happy that the Bangladesh prime minister, despite being
> a woman, has declared zero tolerance for terrorism."

Narendra Modi (India). 4 for Joshua, Peter, and Erland.

> 2. A Nobel-prizewinning British scientist also drew complaints
> when, speaking at the World Conference of Science Journalists in
> South Korea, he said there was "trouble" with "girls" working
> in laboratories. Name this scientist, who resigned from his
> honorary post at University College London last week.

Sir Tim Hunt. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 3. What longstanding NHL post-season tradition did Mark Lazarus,
> chairman of NBC Sports, reportedly ask the NHL to ban, in order
> to improve the marketability of players?

"Playoff" beards. 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 4. Give the full name of the NHL team that may find itself
> homeless soon. This team plays in a city-owned arena under a
> lease agreement that last week the city's council voted to end.

Arizona Coyotes (accepting Phoenix Coyotes, their name until
recently).

> 5. What is the commonly used term for the controversial policing
> practice that Mayor John Tory spoke out against a week ago
> Sunday? The practice has been suspended since January 1, has
> been widely criticized, and is the subject of a constitutional
> challenge.

Carding.

> 6. Name the host of CBC's "Power & Politics" who was fired last
> week after a "Toronto Star" investigation revealed that he had
> brokered art deals involving involving people he had dealt with
> as a journalist.

Evan Solomon.

> 7. Name the so-called "technology company" that drew criticism
> for charging 5 times its normal rate in some of areas of Toronto
> during the subway closure last Monday morning.

Uber. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, and Peter. 3 for Dan Tilque.

> 8. Name the company that reportedly paid $30,000,000 for the
> distribution rights to the satirical comedy "War Machine",
> starring Brad Pitt.

Netflix. 4 for Joshua.

> 9. Name the veteran actor who died at the age of 93, who was best
> known for playing Dracula, Saruman (in the "Lord of the Rings"
> movies), and Count Dooku (in the "Star Wars" prequels).

Christopher Lee. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Peter, and Jason.

> 10. Name the actor, best known for playing Uncle Jesse on "Full
> House", who was arrested for driving under the influence in
> Beverly Hills last Friday.

John Stamos. 4 for Marc, Joshua, and Jason.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
Stephen Perry 36 36 36 32 20 24 -- -- 184
Joshua Kreitzer 8 24 24 12 20 12 4 24 116
Peter Smyth 0 19 24 16 15 12 8 12 98
Dan Blum 3 24 16 11 18 7 4 12 88
Marc Dashevsky 0 24 18 12 8 12 8 8 82
Dan Tilque 4 20 15 8 8 12 8 3 71
Pete Gayde 12 20 24 12 -- -- -- -- 68
Bruce Bowler 4 24 24 12 -- -- -- -- 64
Erland Sommarskog 4 16 8 12 16 4 4 8 64
Jason Kreitzer 4 16 8 0 8 8 0 8 52

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "History will be kind to me, for I intend
m...@vex.net to write it." -- Churchill

Marc Dashevsky

Jun 28, 2015, 6:22:45 AM6/28/15
In article <7KOdndKd2dig8hLI...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> > 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
> > the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?
>
> American Pharaoh. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Peter,
> and Dan Tilque.

The name is actually an "incorrect" spelling: American Pharoah

Mark Brader

Jun 28, 2015, 2:15:36 PM6/28/15
Mark Brader:
>>> 10. Which horse won the Belmont Stakes on Saturday, completing
>>> the Triple Crown of thoroughbred racing?

>> American Pharaoh. 4 for Dan Blum, Marc, Joshua, Peter,
>> and Dan Tilque.

Marc Dashevsky:
> The name is actually an "incorrect" spelling: American Pharoah

And 4 out of 5 of you knew that, but I didn't. Thanks.
--
Mark Brader | "That would be correct, if it was correct." --Mark Brader
Toronto | "It's amazing how often that's said about my statements."