Calvin's Quiz #551

Calvin

Jan 15, 2019, 8:09:36 PM1/15/19

1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?
2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?
3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?
4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living together'?
5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?
6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?
7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?
8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North Carolina?
9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?
10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jan 15, 2019, 10:28:16 PM1/15/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?

cooking

> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?

Alcatraz

> 3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?

Hans Christian Andersen

> 4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living together'?

symbiosis

> 5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?

Longfellow

> 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?

Germany

> 7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?

hips

> 8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North Carolina?

Raleigh

> 9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?

150

> 10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?

Guns 'n Roses

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 16, 2019, 4:08:55 AM1/16/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?

To make Tandoori chicken

> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?

Sing-Sing

> 4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living
> together'?

Symbios

> 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from
> 1945-1949?

Germany

> 7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?

Hips

I know this because my cousin sent me a CD with a mix of material, and
this was one of the songs. He wrote that he did not where she comes
from. I found that quite amusing, as the backing vocals say this
explicitly!

> 8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North
> Carolina?

Raleigh

> 9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?

600

> 10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the
> Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?

Guns'n'Roses

Mark Brader

Jan 16, 2019, 1:02:58 PM1/16/19
"Calvin":
> 1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?

Baking.

> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?

Alcatraz.

> 3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?

Andersen.

> 4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living together'?

Symbiosis.

> 5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F Scott
> Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?

Keats?

> 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from
> 1945-1949?

Both Austria and Germany were occupied in four zones in 1945. The occupation
of Germany continued until the 4+2 treaty took effect in 1990, and I thought
Austria only became unoccupied about 1955. I'll say Austria, anyway.

> 7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?

Hips.

> 8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North Carolina?

Raligh.

> 9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?

150.

--
Mark Brader "This must be a serious issue!
Toronto It's spawned a new interjection!"

Mark Brader

Jan 16, 2019, 1:03:28 PM1/16/19
Mark Brader:
> Raligh.

(Raleigh, that is.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "As always, breakfast recapitulated
m...@vex.net phylogeny." -- Spider Robinson

ArenEss

Jan 16, 2019, 1:07:29 PM1/16/19
On Tue, 15 Jan 2019 17:09:35 -0800 (PST), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?
Cooking

>2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?
Alcatraz, Treasure Island

>3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?
Hans Christian Anderson

>4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living together'?
Cohabitation

>5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?
Keats?

>6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?
Germany

>7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?
Hips

>8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North Carolina?
Charlotte

>9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?
150

>10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?
Guns N' Roses

ArenEss

>cheers,
>calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 16, 2019, 2:55:34 PM1/16/19
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
>> 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from
>> 1945-1949?
>
> Both Austria and Germany were occupied in four zones in 1945. The
> occupation of Germany continued until the 4+2 treaty took effect in
> 1990, and I thought Austria only became unoccupied about 1955. I'll say
> Austria, anyway.

He only gave an approxamite time frame when the occupation started and
never said when it ended. :-)

I guess he considers the occupation to have ended in 1949 when the two
German republics were formed.

Mark Brader

Jan 16, 2019, 3:14:25 PM1/16/19
>> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?
> Alcatraz, Treasure Island

Perhaps Calvin could use the explanation that although Treasure I. is
famous as a fictional island, there is also a real island of that name
in San Francisco Bay, and as you can check in Google Street View, it
can indeed be seen from the the Golden Gate Bridge. Therefore how to
treat this answer depends on which, if either, of these islands is best
considered "infamous".
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "C takes the point of view that the programmer
m...@vex.net | is always right" -- Michael DeCorte

Pete Gayde

Jan 17, 2019, 3:48:49 PM1/17/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?

Cooking

> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?

Alcatraz

> 3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?

Anderson

> 4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living
> together'?

Cohabitation

> 5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F
> Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?
> 6 What
> country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?

Japan

> 7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?

Heart

> 8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North
> Carolina?

Raleigh

> 9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?

150

> 10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the
> Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?

Guns N Roses

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jan 18, 2019, 12:14:28 AM1/18/19
Calvin wrote:
> 1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?
> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?

Alcatraz

> 3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?

Anderson

> 4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living together'?

symbiosis

> 5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?

Shelley

> 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?

Germany (also Austria, although those zones lasted until 1955)

> 7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?

heart

> 8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North Carolina?

Raleigh

> 9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?

150

> 10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 7:16:09 PM1/24/19
On Thursday, January 17, 2019 at 4:03:28 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> > Raligh.
>
> (Raleigh, that is.)

It's not a spelling contest :-)

cheers,
calvin

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 7:22:08 PM1/24/19
On Wednesday, January 16, 2019 at 11:09:36 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 For what purpose would a tandoor normally be used?

Baking [or similar, but "to make tandoori chicken" is not specific enough sorry :-)]

> 2 Which infamous island can be viewed from the Golden Gate Bridge?

Alcatraz
I doubt that Treasure Island can genuinely be considered infamous, but it's a great answer all the same

> 3 Which author wrote the 1844 fairy-tale 'The Snow Queen'?

Hans Christian Andersen

> 4 Commonly used in biology, which word means 'state of living together'?

Symbiosis

> 5 A line from whose 1819 poem inspired the title of F Scott Fitzgerald's 1934 novel 'Tender is the Night'?

John Keats

> 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?

Germany
Austria's was 1945-55

> 7 According to a 2006 hit by Shakira, which body part doesn't lie?

the hips

> 8 Named after a famous Briton, what is the capital city of North Carolina?

Raleigh

> 9 A sesquicentennial celebrates how many years?

150

> 10 Which rock band had hits in the 1980s with 'Welcome to the Jungle' and 'Paradise City'?

Guns 'n' Roses

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 551
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 9 40 Dan Blum
1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 8 33 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8 34 Mark Brader
1 1 1 0 0 0 0 1 1 1 6 28 Pete Gayde
0 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 0 6 28 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 5 21 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
4 5 5 4 2 4 4 5 5 4 42 70%

Congratulations Dan B.

At last two people got each question right, but no question was answered correctly by all six!

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2019, 7:24:53 PM1/24/19
"Calvin":
> > 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?
>
> Germany
> Austria's was 1945-55

Did you read my answer posting? Germany was occupied from 1945 until 1990.
--
Mark Brader "You have the right to remain silent. Anything you
Toronto do say can and will be misquoted and used against

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 7:32:37 PM1/24/19
On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 10:24:53 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
> > > 6 What country was divided into four different occupied zones from 1945-1949?
> >
> > Germany
> > Austria's was 1945-55
>
> Did you read my answer posting? Germany was occupied from 1945 until 1990.

There was no such country for those dates.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 24, 2019, 10:27:00 PM1/24/19
Mark Brader:
>> Did you read my answer posting? Germany was occupied from 1945 until 1990.

"Calvin":
> There was no such country for those dates.

I think that's pretty nitpicky, but nitpicky is what we *do* in trivia.
I concede the point.

I would like to argue that the country we used to call "West Germany" is
the same one we call "Germany" today (which it is), but unfortunately it
was only ever occupied in *three* zones.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "... people are *always* doing stuff ...
m...@vex.net that I wish were typos" --Marcy Thompson

Calvin

Jan 24, 2019, 11:00:13 PM1/24/19
On Friday, January 25, 2019 at 1:27:00 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> Mark Brader:
> >> Did you read my answer posting? Germany was occupied from 1945 until 1990.
>
> "Calvin":
> > There was no such country for those dates.
>
> I think that's pretty nitpicky, but nitpicky is what we *do* in trivia.
> I concede the point.
>
> I would like to argue that the country we used to call "West Germany" is
> the same one we call "Germany" today (which it is), but unfortunately it
> was only ever occupied in *three* zones.

Thanks. The only two feasible wrong answers are Austria and West Germany, so I tried to word it in a way which would rule them out, i.e. 4 zones and the dates. But you can't anticipate how everyone will approach a question, and we've all got on the wrong train.

cheers,
calvin