QFTCIBP Game 9, Rounds 2,4,5: impressionism, ex-capitals, piano

Mark Brader

May 29, 2018, 12:26:36 AM5/29/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-19,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

I've decided to resequence this game. Round 3 will appear in the
next set, when you will see why.

* Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists

Please see the 2-page handout at

http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf

For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
the image.

1. Alfred Sisley.
2. Gustave Caillebotte.
3. Mary Cassatt.
4. Berthe Morisot.

For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

5. O.
6. P.
7. Q (qrpbl)
8. S.
9. T.
10. U.
11. X.
12. Y (qrpbl)

* Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries

We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
you can use either its name at the time or its present name.

1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).
2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).
3. West Germany (1949-90).
4. Prussia (1525-1701).
5. Zanzibar (1963-64).
6. Rhodesia (1965-79).
7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).
8. Tibet (1912-51).
9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).
10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

* Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano

Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.

You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)

1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
Clavier".

2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
3rd movement, Presto agitato.

4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.

5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".

6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.

7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
op. 62 #6.

8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
S139.

9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".

10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

--
Mark Brader | "Nitwit ideas are for emergencies. The rest of the
Toronto | time you go by the Book, which is mostly a collection

Dan Blum

May 29, 2018, 12:05:19 PM5/29/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists

> 1. Alfred Sisley.

L; A

> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.

> 3. Mary Cassatt.

B; J

> 4. Berthe Morisot.

E; H

> 5. O.

Toulouse-Lautrec

> 6. P.

Monet

> 8. S.

Seurat

> 9. T.

Cezanne

> 10. U.

Manet; Degas

> 11. X.

van Gogh

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries

> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).

Ajotta

> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Berlin

> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).

Dar es Salaam

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).

Saigon

> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Lhasa

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Muscat

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano

> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".

Bach

> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

Mozart

> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Beethoven

> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.

Chopin

> 5. 1838, "Tr?umerei", from "Kinderszenen".

Brahms

> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.

Brahms

> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne W?rter",
> op. 62 #6.

Wagner

> 8. 1852, "?tudes d'ex?cution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.

Saint-Saens

> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".

Debussy

> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

Gershwin

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

May 29, 2018, 2:05:05 PM5/29/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists
>
> Please see the 2-page handout at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf
>
> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.
>
> 1. Alfred Sisley.

> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.

> 3. Mary Cassatt.

> 4. Berthe Morisot.

> 5. O.

Vincent vnc Gogh

> 6. P.

Edvard Munch

> 10. U.

Paul Gaugion

> 11. X.

Munch

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).

Ajaccio

> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Königsberg

> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).

Tanganyika

> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).

Salisbury

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).

Saigon

> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Lhasa

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Aden

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)
>
> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".

Johan Sebastian Bach

> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

Wolfgang Amadeuss Mozard

> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Ludvig van Beethoven

> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.

Johannes Brahms

> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".

Franz Schubert

> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.

Franz Liszt

> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.

Robert Schumann

> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.

Frédéric Chopin

> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".

Claude Debussy

> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

George Gershwin

Joshua Kreitzer

May 29, 2018, 9:11:27 PM5/29/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vdGdnaJrwYrqS5HGnZ2dnUU7-
T_N...@giganews.com:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists
>
> Please see the 2-page handout at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf
>
> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.
>
> 1. Alfred Sisley.

B; A

> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.

M; L

> 3. Mary Cassatt.

> 4. Berthe Morisot.

> For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
> name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
> in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
> answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 8. S.

Seurat

> 11. X.

Van Gogh

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).

Ajaccio

> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Berlin

> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).

Salisbury

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).

Saigon

> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Lhasa

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Aden; Sana'a

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
> version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
> given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
> Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.
>
> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)
>
> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".

Bach

> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

Mozart

> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Beethoven

> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".

Debussy

> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

Gershwin

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

May 30, 2018, 4:28:14 AM5/30/18
> 5. B.
> 6. C.
> 7. D (decoy)
> 8. F.
> 9. G.
> 10. H.
> 11. K.
> 12. L (decoy)
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).
> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).
Belgrade
> 3. West Germany (1949-90).
Bonn
> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).
> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).
Dodoma
> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).
Salisbury
> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).
Saigon
> 8. Tibet (1912-51).
> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).
Cairo
> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).
Aden

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
> version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
> given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
> Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.
>
> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)
>
> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".
Bach
> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.
Mozart
> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.
Beethoven
> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.
>
> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".
>
> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.
Strauss
> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.
>
> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.
>
> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".
Debussy
> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".
Gershwin

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

May 30, 2018, 7:40:40 PM5/30/18
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 12:26:36 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I've decided to resequence this game. Round 3 will appear in the
> next set, when you will see why.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists
>
> Please see the 2-page handout at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf
>
> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.
>
> 1. Alfred Sisley.
> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.
> 3. Mary Cassatt.
> 4. Berthe Morisot.
>
> For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
> name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
> in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
> answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.
> 6. P.
> 7. Q (qrpbl)
> 8. S.
> 9. T.
> 10. U.
> 11. X.
> 12. Y (qrpbl)
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).
> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).
Sarajevo
> 3. West Germany (1949-90).
Bonn
> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).
> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).
> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).
> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).
Saigon
> 8. Tibet (1912-51).
> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).
> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).
>

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
> version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
> given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
> Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.
>
> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)
>
> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".
Johann Sebastian Bach
> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.
>
> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.
>
> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.
>
> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".
>
> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.
>
> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.
>
> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.
>
> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".
Debussy
> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".
Gershwin

Dan Tilque

May 30, 2018, 11:54:51 PM5/30/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> I've decided to resequence this game. Round 3 will appear in the
> next set, when you will see why.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists
>
> Please see the 2-page handout at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf
>
> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.
>
> 1. Alfred Sisley.
> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.
> 3. Mary Cassatt.
> 4. Berthe Morisot.
>
> For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
> name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
> in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
> answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.
> 6. P.
> 7. Q (qrpbl)
> 8. S.

Monet

> 9. T.
> 10. U.
> 11. X.
> 12. Y (qrpbl)
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).
> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Berlin

> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).

Zanzibar

> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).

Salisbury

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).

Saigon

> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Llasa

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Muscat

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
> version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
> given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
> Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.
>
> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)
>
> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".
>
> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.
>
> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Beethoven

> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.
>
> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".
>
> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.
>
> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.
>
> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.
>
> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".
>
> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

Gershwin

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

May 31, 2018, 3:55:28 PM5/31/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:vdGdnaJrwYrqS5HGnZ2dnUU7-
T_N...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-19,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> I've decided to resequence this game. Round 3 will appear in the
> next set, when you will see why.
>

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists
>
> Please see the 2-page handout at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf
>
> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.
>
> 1. Alfred Sisley.

A; G

> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.

> 3. Mary Cassatt.

A; J

> 4. Berthe Morisot.

D; H

> For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
> name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
> in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
> answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.

Renoir

> 6. P.

Monet

> 7. Q (qrpbl)
> 8. S.

Seurat

> 9. T.

Cezanne

> 10. U.
> 11. X.

Van Gogh

> 12. Y (qrpbl)
>

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).

Nice; Marseille

> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Danzig

> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).

Dar es Salaam

> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).

Harare

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).

Saigon

> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Lhasa

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Aden

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
> version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
> given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
> Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.
>
> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)
>
> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".

J. S. Bach

> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

Mozart

> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Beethoven

> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.

Schubert

> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".

Schumann

> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.

Chopin

> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.

Mendelssohn

> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.

Liszt

> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".

Debussy

> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

Gershwin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

May 31, 2018, 9:16:11 PM5/31/18
On Tuesday, May 29, 2018 at 2:26:36 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists
>
> Please see the 2-page handout at
>
> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf
>
> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.
>
> 1. Alfred Sisley.

A, H

> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.

A, H

> 3. Mary Cassatt.

A, H

> 4. Berthe Morisot.

A, H

> For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
> name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
> in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
> answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.
>
> 5. O.

Renoir

> 6. P.

Monet

> 7. Q (qrpbl)
> 8. S.

Seurat

> 9. T.

Manet, Gaugain

> 10. U.

Manet, Gaugain

> 11. X.

Van Gogh

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries
>
> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.
>
> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).
> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Berlin

> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).
> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).

Harare

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).
> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Lhasa

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo, Damascus

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Sana'a, Muscat

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano
>
> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game.

Thanks for going to the trouble.

> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".

Bach

> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

Mozart

> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Beethoven

> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.

Dvorak, Hayden

> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".

Brahms, Wagner

> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.

Strauss

> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.

Wagner

> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.

Saint-Seans, Chopin

> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune"

Debussy

> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

Gershwin

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jun 1, 2018, 1:20:30 AM6/1/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-03-19,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> I've decided to resequence this game. Round 3 will appear in the
> next set, when you will see why.

> * Game 9, Round 2 - Art - Impressionists and Post-Impressionists

> Please see the 2-page handout at

> http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/msb/9-2/impress.pdf

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> For questions #1-4, we name the artist and you give the letter of
> the image.

> 1. Alfred Sisley.

A ("Bridge at Villeneuve-la-Garenne"). 4 for Jason. 3 for Pete
and Calvin. 2 for Dan Blum and Joshua.

> 2. Gustave Caillebotte.

M ("Paris Street, Rainy Day"). 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.
3 for Joshua.

> 3. Mary Cassatt.

J ("Little Girl in a Blue Armchair"). 4 for Joshua. 2 for Dan Blum
and Pete.

> 4. Berthe Morisot.

E ("Summer Day" or "The Lake in the Bois de Boulogne"). 3 for
Dan Blum.

> For #5-12, please decode the rot13 to see the remaining letters and
> name the artist in each case. I have rearranged these questions
> in order by letter, and interspersed the 2 decoys with the others;
> answer for the decoys if you like for fun, but for no points.

Nobody tried the decoys.

> 5. B.

Auguste Renoir ("Luncheon of the Boating Party"). 4 for Pete
and Calvin.

> 6. C.

Claude Monet ("Houses of Parliament"). 4 for Dan Blum, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 7. D (decoy)

Edgar Degas ("The Bellelli Family").

> 8. F.

Georges Seurat ("A Sunday Afternoon on the Island of La Grande
Jatte"). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, and Calvin.

> 9. G.

Paul Cezanne ("Mont Sainte-Victoire"). 4 for Dan Blum and Pete.

> 10. H.

Edouard Manet ("Boating"). 3 for Dan Blum and Calvin.

> 11. K.

Vincent Van Gogh ("The Church at Auvers"). 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 12. L (decoy)

Camille Pissarro ("Boulevard Montmartre").

> * Game 9, Round 4 - Geography - Capital Cities of Former Countries

> We'll give you the name of a country that no longer exists, and you
> name the main capital city. We'll also give you the years in which
> the city was the capital. If the name of the city has changed,
> you can use either its name at the time or its present name.

> 1. Corsican Republic (1755-68).

Ajaccio. 4 for Erland and Joshua.

> 2. Yugoslavia (1918-92).

Belgrade. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 3. West Germany (1949-90).

Bonn. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter, Jason,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

Yeah, I know, West Germany is not a "country that no longer exists",
but is the same country known in English today as Germany. I didn't
write it, eh?

> 4. Prussia (1525-1701).

Königsberg, now Kaliningrad, Russia. 4 for Erland.

> 5. Zanzibar (1963-64).

Zanzibar City. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 6. Rhodesia (1965-79).

Salisbury, now Harare, Zimbabwe. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

Rhodesia at the time was de facto an independent country but was
generally not officially recognized as such.

> 7. South Vietnam (Republic of Vietnam) (1954-76).

Saigon, now Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland,
Joshua, Peter, Jason, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. Tibet (1912-51).

Lhasa. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

> 9. United Arab Republic (1958-61).

Cairo. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, and Pete.
3 for Calvin.

The UAR was a short-lived union of Egypt and Syria.

> 10. Federation of South Arabia (1962-67).

Aden. 4 for Erland, Peter, and Pete. 3 for Joshua.

As far as I can see, this federation was never an actual country,
but only a British protectorate. It lasted for a few years and is
now part of Yemen.

> * Game 9, Round 5 - Audio - Classical Piano

> Surprise! You get the audio round for this game. In the original
> version of it, you were played a clip of classical piano music and
> given the year it was composed or published (nothing posthumous).
> Here, instead of the clip I'll give you the title or description.

> You name the composer. (Surnames are sufficient in all cases.)

> 1. 1722, "Prelude #1 in C#, BWV 846, from "The Well-Tempered
> Clavier".

J.S. Bach. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter, Jason, Pete,
and Calvin.

> 2. 1783, "Rondo alla turca", sonata in A, #11, K331:III.

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 3. 1801, piano Sonata #14 in C# minor, op.27 #2 "Moonlight":
> 3rd movement, Presto agitato.

Ludwig van Beethoven. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter,
Dan Tilque, Pete, and Calvin.

> 4. 1828, piano sonata in Bb major, D960, #1: Molto moderato.

Franz Schubert. 4 for Pete.

> 5. 1838, "Träumerei", from "Kinderszenen".

Robert Schumann. 4 for Pete.

> 6. 1847, waltz #7 in C# minor, op. 64 #2.

Frédéric Chopin. 4 for Pete.

> 7. Between 1842 and 1844, "Spring Song" from "Lieder Ohne Wörter",
> op. 62 #6.

Felix Mendelssohn. 4 for Pete.

> 8. 1852, "Études d'exécution transcendante", #12: "Chasse-neige",
> S139.

Franz Liszt. 4 for Pete.

> 9. Published 1905, "Claire de Lune".

Claude Debussy. 4 for Dan Blum, Erland, Joshua, Peter, Jason,
Pete, and Calvin.

> 10. 1924, "Rhapsody in Blue".

George Gershwin. 4 for everyone.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 9 ROUNDS-> 2 4 5 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Art Geo Aud
Pete Gayde 29 28 40 97
Dan Blum 30 20 20 70
Joshua Kreitzer 17 31 20 68
"Calvin" 22 19 20 61
Erland Sommarskog 0 36 20 56
Peter Smyth 0 24 20 44
Dan Tilque 0 28 8 36
Jason Kreitzer 4 8 12 24

--
Mark Brader "When a supposedly indivisible transaction
Toronto fails to complete properly, this is known