Rotating Quiz #229

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 28, 2016, 8:04:09 AM8/28/16
Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!

As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
Post the answers to the group.

I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!

1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?

2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
present-day country?

3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
present-day countries?

4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
the band?

6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
In which sport did he compete?

7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
he do?

8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
what?

10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
Equatorial Guinea?

11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
a) North
b) East

12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
sufficiently specific.

13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
either the name or position + country.

14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?

15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?

16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Gareth Owen

Aug 28, 2016, 8:20:37 AM8/28/16
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> writes:

> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?

Africa (by Toto, I assume)

> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunisia

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Libya and ... Algeria?

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

Casablanca

> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?

Nope

> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
> Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
> In which sport did he compete?

Tae Kwon Do. Beat a Brit with a head kick in literally the last second
- the victor charged around like a man possessed and the vanquised cried
in the mix zone interview. They showed that a lot over here.

We do like a crier :)

> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?

I dread to think, the bar is set so high ... expelled all non-black residents?

> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

South Africa?

> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?

Nope

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

A bridge to another country?

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North
> b) East

a) Liberia??
b) Nigeria?

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.

Human Rights Lawyer

> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.

Robert Mugabe

> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?

I should know this - I have "Get Up With It" on double vinyl. I think
its underrated... An African Musical instrument?

> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?

Zimbabwe

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Robert Redford

Peter Smyth

Aug 28, 2016, 8:44:47 AM8/28/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set
> RQ #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?
>
> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?
Tunisia
> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?
Egypt and Syria
> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?
Casablanca
> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?
>
> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent
> Olympic Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the
> Ivory Coast. In which sport did he compete?
Taekwondo
> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?
>
> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?
South Africa
> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?
>
> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?
>
> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North
Ivory Coast
> b) East
Republic of Congo

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.
A farmer presumably :-)
> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.
Queen Elizabeth II
> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?
>
> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?
South Africa
> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Peter Smyth

Dan Blum

Aug 28, 2016, 10:49:32 AM8/28/16
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote:

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?

Roseannadanna

> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunisia

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Egypt and Syria

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

Casablanca

> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-B?del Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?

he was a cannibal (supposedly)

> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

South Africa

> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?

refugee camp

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

They have continental territory but their capitals are on islands.

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0?N, 0?E and sail due
> a) North
> b) East

a. Gabon
b. Equatorial Guinea

> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.

Angela Merkel

> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?

Germany

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Meryl Streep

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

swp

Aug 28, 2016, 11:04:23 AM8/28/16
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:04:09 AM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?

"it's a feeling" (unless you meant the other side, in which case it's "africa")

> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

tunisia

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

egypt and ... syria?

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

casablanca

> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?

no idea

> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
> Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
> In which sport did he compete?

tae kwon do

> 7. Africa has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?

president for life?

> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

somalia

> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?

it's a refugee camp ("greatest" is a bit of a stretch, eh?)

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

I'll guess that both have non-connected major land masses separated by a large body of water

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North
> b) East

a - ghana
b - gabon (I believe that sao tome and principe is a near miss)

(this location is a 'favorite' spot for people learning coding when doing map calculations. strong data typing is a lost art.)

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.

peach prize? I thought he was a doctor in the congo not a farmer.

> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.

robert mugabe

> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?

no idea

> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?

south africa

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

sydney pollack

swp, earth

Gareth Owen

Aug 28, 2016, 11:08:35 AM8/28/16
swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> writes:

> On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:04:09 AM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
>> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
>>
>> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
>> Post the answers to the group.
>>
>> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>>

>> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?
>
> "it's a feeling" (unless you meant the other side, in which case it's
> "africa")

Old school. I like your style.

> (this location is a 'favorite' spot for people learning coding when
> doing map calculations. strong data typing is a lost art.)

Not to be confused with Potwin, Kansas, which is where many
IP Address -> geography
mappings end up

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 28, 2016, 2:50:31 PM8/28/16
Erland Sommarskog (esq...@sommarskog.se) writes:
> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize.

Oops! That should of course be "Peace Prize".

Dan Tilque

Aug 29, 2016, 3:05:51 AM8/29/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?

Roseannadanna

> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunis

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Egypt and Libya, although Syria was a member for a while, too

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

Casablanca

> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?
>
> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
> Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
> In which sport did he compete?
>
> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?
>
> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

South Africa

> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?

refugee camp ??

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

capital is on an island while most of the land is on the mainland

(British Columbia shares this feature)

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North

Benin

> b) East

Cameroon

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.

The Peach Prize, huh? He must be a fruit seller...

> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.
>
> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?

a revolutionary movement in Mozambique

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 29, 2016, 7:10:04 PM8/29/16
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 10:04:09 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?
>
> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunisia

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Syria and Egypt

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

Casablanca

> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?

Africa

> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
> Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
> In which sport did he compete?

Athletics

> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?
>
> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

Morocco

> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?
>
> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

A dependency larger in area that them

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North

Portugal

> b) East

Angola

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.
>
> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.

Mugabe

> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?
>
> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?

South Africa

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Streep

Nice quiz thanks.

cheers,
calvin

swp

Aug 29, 2016, 8:43:45 PM8/29/16
On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 11:08:35 AM UTC-4, Gareth Owen wrote:
> swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > On Sunday, August 28, 2016 at 8:04:09 AM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> >> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
> >>
> >> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> >> Post the answers to the group.
> >>
> >> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
> >>

> >> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?
> >
> > "it's a feeling" (unless you meant the other side, in which case it's
> > "africa")
>
> Old school. I like your style.

when I was little the only thing we had to play with were cooling rocks...

swp

Dan Blum

Aug 29, 2016, 9:18:25 PM8/29/16
Yours had solidified into rocks? Lucky.

Calvin

Aug 30, 2016, 10:35:09 PM8/30/16
On Tuesday, August 30, 2016 at 11:18:25 AM UTC+10, Dan Blum wrote:
> swp <Stephen...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Old school. I like your style.
>
> > when I was little the only thing we had to play with were cooling rocks...
>
> Yours had solidified into rocks? Lucky.

Lugsoorry.

cheers,
calvin

Pete

Aug 31, 2016, 2:14:41 PM8/31/16
Erland Sommarskog <esq...@sommarskog.se> wrote in

> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ
> #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?
>
> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunisia

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Egypt and Syria

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

Casablanca
Northern Ireland

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Barry

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Sep 2, 2016, 2:21:42 AM9/2/16
In article <XnsA6728F1E8...@127.0.0.1>, esq...@sommarskog.se says...

> Welcom to Rotating Quiz #229. The winner will get the honour to set RQ #230!
>
> As always post only from your knowledge - research is not permitted.
> Post the answers to the group.
>
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?
>
> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?
Tunisia

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?
Egypt and Syria

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?
Casablanca

> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?
>
> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
> Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
> In which sport did he compete?
>
> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?
>
> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?
>
> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?
refugee camp

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?
>
> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North
> b) East
>
> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.
>
> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.
>
> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?
>
> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?
>
> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".
Streep

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 3, 2016, 9:12:42 AM9/3/16
Rotating Quiz 229 is over and stomping the field with a decisive
victory is STEPHEN W PERRY who is to set RQ230. Congratulations.

Here is the results grid:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11a 11b 12 13 14 15 16 Total
swp 1 1 1 1 - 1 - 1 1 - ½ ½ - 1 - 1 1 11
Gareth 1 1 - 1 - 1 - - - - - - - 1 - - - 5
Peter S - 1 1 1 - 1 - - - - - - - - - 1 - 5
Dan B - 1 1 1 - - - - 1 1 - - - - - - - 5
Calvin - 1 1 1 - - - - - - - - - 1 - 1 - 5
Dan T - - - 1 - - - - 1 1 - - - - 1 - - 4
Pete - 1 1 1 - - - - - - - - - - - - 1 4
Marc D - 1 1 1 - - - - 1 - - - - - - - - 4

As you may have noticed, the quiz had Africa as its theme, and the
questions 2 to 15 were loosely organised north to south.

> 1. It starts with Rosanna, but what does it end with?

"Africa". As noted, "it" here refers to the album "Toto IV" by Toto.

"Roseannadanna" was suggested, but that starts with RosEanna. (Luckily,
I did check the Toto spelling before I posted the quiz!)

> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunisia. Tunis is a city in the same country.

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Egypt and Syria. Egypt kept the moniker for another nine years after the
split. Libya was never part of it. (And was a kingdom during the most
of the duration of UAR.)

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

Casablanca.

> 5. "Life is hard, can't buy happiness no matter what you do
> Can't get to heaven on roller skates --
> can't take a taxi cab to Timbuktu"
> The title of the song is "Life is Hard" - but what's the name of
> the band?

No, they are not Timbuktu - that's a Swedish rap artist - but they are
Timbuk 3.

> 6. Cheick Sallah Cissé made himself a national hero in the recent Olympic
> Games in Rio by winning the first gold medal ever for the Ivory Coast.
> In which sport did he compete?

Taekwondo.

I'm impressed that so many knew this. I only knew about it because there
was a short note about it in my newspaper about it. When researching the
question, I observed that one more Ivorian got a medal in Taekwondo. And
a person from Niger got a silver medal. Who would have known that this
sport is big in this part of the world?

> 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> he do?

Crowned himself emperor. The country was the Central African Republic.
(Called Central African Empire after the coronation.)

He was indeed accused for cannibalism, but Wikipedia says that he wss
cleared from these charges, why I scored it as wrong.

Swp suggested "president for life", and indeed he was before he made
himself emperor. However, that is so incredibly commonplace for this
type of guys, that it does not qualify for the next level. So no points.

> 8. Bandy is a winter sport played on ice. The field is the same size
> as a football field but the goals are smaller. Games are usually
> 2*45 min. 11 men in each team. They have a hooked stick (save for
> the goal keepers) and a ball about the size of a tennis ball.
> World championships are played every year. Typically, Sweden and
> Russia plays the final, but this year Finland butted in. The family
> of bandy is not very big. In the world championships different
> divisions there are teams from Europe, Asia and North America.
> There is also a team representing an African country. Which?

Somalia.

No, they are not based in Mogadishu or elsewhere in Somalia, but mainly
in the Swedish town of Borlänge. It started as an integration project
to pick up Somalian kids who did not really find their place in the
Swedish soceity. A former bandy star took care of them, and the goal
was from the start that they should play in the world championships,
despite they had never stood on skates before. At least the first time
they played they were augmented by a Somalian guy from Canada who is
a hockey player and who joined them on his own cost.

They have yet to win a tournament game, but they have nevertheless been
immensly popular with the local folks in Russia. (Where the last three
championships have been held.)

> 9. With over 300 000 dwellers, Dadaab is said to be world's greatest
> what?

Refugee camp. It in northern Kenya, which I should have said in the
question. If nothing else, that would have been a hint for #8.

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

Capital is on a island, but they also have territory on continental
mainland. The UK is arguably a third case. British Columbia too, if
we go to second-level enities.

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North

Ghana

> b) East

Gabon. And you have to stick very strictly to the equator, since else
you will run afloat in São Tomé e Principe. The equator passes through
a strait between the main island and a smaller one. (Had anyone answers
São Tomé, I would have approved it.)

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize. Give
> either his profession or where he is active. In either case, be
> sufficiently specific.

To quote Wikipedia:

Denis Mukwege (born 1 March 1955)[2][3] is a Congolese gynecologist.
He founded and works in Panzi Hospital in Bukavu, where he specializes
in the treatment of women who have been gang-raped by rebel forces.

Gynecologist was required for the profession. For the location I did
not need Bukavu, but I wanted you to say North-Eastern Congo-Kinshasa.

My sincerest apologies for the typo (or whatever we should call it)
that may have distracted some entrants.

> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.

Robert Mugabe, President of Zimbabwe

People knew this one better than the King Of Thailand in my last quiz,
but I was amused to see QEII being suggested this time as well. But she
is a young girl of 90, compared to 92-year old Mugabe.

> 14. Miles Davis's double album from 1974 "Get Up with It" features
> the half-hour long "Calypso Frelimo". What is Frelimo here?

Frente de Libertação de Moçambique. At the time, the leading liberation
guerilla, today the leading policital party in Mozambique.

> 15. The rocker Mannfred Mann hails from which country?

South Africa.

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Sydney Pollack, Kurt Luedtke, David Watkin, Stephen B. Grimes,
Josie MacAvin, Chris Jenkins, Gary Alexander, Larry Stensvold,
Peter Handford, John Barry.

Meryl Streep was a popular answer, but she was only nominated.

I did see the film, but I will have to confess that I found it utterly
boring. It might not really have helped that I saw it dubbed in German.

swp

Sep 3, 2016, 11:34:10 AM9/3/16
On Saturday, September 3, 2016 at 9:12:42 AM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Rotating Quiz 229 is over and stomping the field with a decisive
> victory is STEPHEN W PERRY who is to set RQ230. Congratulations.

thank you. I will set the next rq sometime between tonight and tomorrow, hurricane hermine will determine when.

> Here is the results grid:
>
> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11a 11b 12 13 14 15 16 Total
> swp 1 1 1 1 - 1 - 1 1 - ½ ½ - 1 - 1 1 11
> Gareth 1 1 - 1 - 1 - - - - - - - 1 - - - 5
> Peter S - 1 1 1 - 1 - - - - - - - - - 1 - 5
> Dan B - 1 1 1 - - - - 1 1 - - - - - - - 5
> Calvin - 1 1 1 - - - - - - - - - 1 - 1 - 5
> Dan T - - - 1 - - - - 1 1 - - - - 1 - - 4
> Pete - 1 1 1 - - - - - - - - - - - - 1 4
> Marc D - 1 1 1 - - - - 1 - - - - - - - - 4

> > 7. Afria has seen more than one megalomaniac dictator. Still you have
> > to say that Jean-Bédel Bokassa took it to the next level. What did
> > he do?
>
> Crowned himself emperor. The country was the Central African Republic.
> (Called Central African Empire after the coronation.)
>
> He was indeed accused for cannibalism, but Wikipedia says that he wss
> cleared from these charges, why I scored it as wrong.

I disagree, but understand why you ruled it that way. when I saw the other answers, cannibalism was the most outrageous and seemed like the answer you were looking for. crowning oneself emperor seems rather tame by comparison. I mean, come on, who hasn't crowned themselves god-emperor of all time and space?

> Swp suggested "president for life", and indeed he was before he made
> himself emperor. However, that is so incredibly commonplace for this
> type of guys, that it does not qualify for the next level. So no points.

and I concur with this ruling as well. it was a poor attempt as I couldn't remember which atrocities he committed.

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 3, 2016, 1:14:00 PM9/3/16
swp (Stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
> I disagree, but understand why you ruled it that way. when I saw the
> other answers, cannibalism was the most outrageous and seemed like the
> answer you were looking for. crowning oneself emperor seems rather tame
> by comparison. I mean, come on, who hasn't crowned themselves
> god-emperor of all time and space?

Yeah, that was a difficult one. Cannibalism is certainly the level above
making yourself emperor. But after all, that was only accusations, and
he has been cleared of them. So we don't know if he ever was on that level.

Dan Tilque

Sep 3, 2016, 7:42:07 PM9/3/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

>> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
>> present-day countries?
>
> Egypt and Syria. Egypt kept the moniker for another nine years after the
> split. Libya was never part of it. (And was a kingdom during the most
> of the duration of UAR.)

When I said Libya, I was getting it mixed up with the Federation of Arab
Republics. That started off with Libya and Egypt.

--
Dan Tilque

Peter Smyth

Sep 4, 2016, 6:46:56 AM9/4/16
Erland Sommarskog wrote:

> > 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> > you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> > a) North
>
> Ghana
>
> > b) East
>
> Gabon. And you have to stick very strictly to the equator, since else
> you will run afloat in São Tomé e Principe. The equator passes through
> a strait between the main island and a smaller one. (Had anyone
> answers São Tomé, I would have approved it.)

It looks like the equator does just clip the island of Ilheu das Rolas,
search on Google Maps for 0N 6.52E.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 4, 2016, 7:49:01 AM9/4/16
Peter Smyth (smy...@gmail.com) writes:
>> Gabon. And you have to stick very strictly to the equator, since else
>> you will run afloat in São Tomé e Principe. The equator passes through
>> a strait between the main island and a smaller one. (Had anyone
>> answers São Tomé, I would have approved it.)
>
> It looks like the equator does just clip the island of Ilheu das Rolas,
> search on Google Maps for 0N 6.52E.

Indeed it does. I know that when I researched the question, I concluded that
the equator passed through in the strait. But that was a over a month before
I ran the quiz, and I don't remember exactly what procedure I employed. I
find it difficult to believe that the island has drifted north since then.
:-)

Given that Stephen's victory was so superior, it does not really matter
if he loses half a point on this question or not.

Mark Brader

Sep 6, 2016, 2:06:10 AM9/6/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!

Late entry for fun:

> 2. The ruins of the ancient city of Carthage are located in which
> present-day country?

Tunisia.

> 3. The United Arab Republic originally consisted of which two
> present-day countries?

Egypt and Syria.

> 4. "You must remember this: A kiss is still a kiss". Which film is it?

"Casablanca" is the famous one, but the song wasn't new and there
might be other correct answers.

> 10. What geopolitical feature is more or less unique to Denmark and
> Equatorial Guinea?

Mainland country with the capital city on an island?

> 11. For half a point each, tell me in which country you bump into if
> you start in 0°N, 0°E and sail due
> a) North
> b) East

Ouch, I should know these but I don't. I'll try (a) Nigeria and
(b) Angola.

> 12. Denis Mukwege has been nominated for Nobel's Peach Prize.

(Giggle)

> 13. By age, who is the currently the oldest head of state? Give
> either the name or position + country.

I don't imagine it's correct but I'll go with Queen Elizabeth II
(Canada).

> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Kim Basinger.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "We are informed many things,
m...@vex.net | some of them correct." --Greg Goss

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 6, 2016, 3:20:41 AM9/6/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> Erland Sommarskog:
>> I plan to post the answers and results by Saturday. Have fun!
>
> Late entry for fun:

So if Mark had entered in time, he would have scored 4, having 2, 3, 4 and
10 correct.

Given that Mark is fairly good a movie questions, I am little surprised
over:

>> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
>> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".
>
> Kim Basinger.

She wasn't in that movie, was she? I thought she was playing for Green
Bay Packers.

Mark Brader

Sep 6, 2016, 4:30:18 AM9/6/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> Given that Mark is fairly good a movie questions, I am little surprised
> over:
>
>>> 16. Name any person who was awarded an Oscar for his or her
>>> involvement in the film "Out of Africa".

Mark Brader:
>> Kim Basinger.

> She wasn't in that movie, was she?

What I was misremembering was that "I Dreamed of Africa" (which I happened
to see on a plane) was Kim Basinger's *next movie after* she won the Oscar
for "L.A. Confidential" (which I liked a lot). I never saw "Out of Africa",
but that was more than 10 years earlier, so all in all it was a pretty
stupid mistake.

> I thought she was playing for Green Bay Packers.

ObFilm: "Cheeseheads: The Documentary".

(Note: I know nothing about it, just found it by an IMDB keyword search.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "But put in one lousy dragon and they call you
m...@vex.net | a fantasy writer." --Terry Pratchett