QFTCIUA Final, Round 3: Arts & Literature

Skip to the first unread message

Mark Brader

1 Feb 2015, 00:37:2901/02/2015
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

* Poetry

In each case, name the poet.

1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow."

2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

* My Kid Could Do That!

Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
the outrage, name the artist.

4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it.
It's only the rest that's for labor.

5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists
of three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off
as an investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10
times the cost.

6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
"gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
it looked like a Home Depot ad.

* Literary Geography

7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
individuals.)

8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
Prince of Tyre?

* Artisans and their Arts

10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
"baked earth"?

11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
mixed and bound with egg yolk?

12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
and dye-resistant areas.

* Taking It to the Streets

Not all art is displayed within the traditional confines of
a gallery.

13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
Give the film's title.

14. In Toronto's 1993 bicentennial, a huge mural was unveiled
on Front St. E., showing 32 vignettes from the city's history.
The mural was removed in 2011 to accommodate an LCBO.
Whose building did it grace the side of?

15. Name the title sponsor of Toronto's "Nuit Blanche" art event.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net C unions never strike!

Peter Smyth

1 Feb 2015, 03:56:3201/02/2015
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."
Seuss
> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
Hemingway
> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
>

> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.
>
> 4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
> titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
> To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it.
> It's only the rest that's for labor.
Hirst
> 5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
> bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists
> of three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off
> as an investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10
> times the cost.
>
> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.
Christo

> * Literary Geography
>
> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)
Pilgrims in the Canterbury Tales
> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?
Ruritania
> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?
Pericles

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?
>
> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?
>
> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.
Tie dye

> * Taking It to the Streets
>
> Not all art is displayed within the traditional confines of
> a gallery.
>
> 13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
> a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
> Give the film's title.
>
> 14. In Toronto's 1993 bicentennial, a huge mural was unveiled
> on Front St. E., showing 32 vignettes from the city's history.
> The mural was removed in 2011 to accommodate an LCBO.
> Whose building did it grace the side of?
>
> 15. Name the title sponsor of Toronto's "Nuit Blanche" art event.

Peter Smyth

Erland Sommarskog

1 Feb 2015, 06:00:1301/02/2015
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Hemmingway

> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

Terracotta

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.

Batique

Joshua Kreitzer

1 Feb 2015, 06:26:0801/02/2015
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OoSdnRWJdvUFJlDJnZ2dnUU7-
Yed...@vex.net:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."

Frost

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Donne

> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

Yeats

> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.
>
> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.

Christo

> * Literary Geography
>
> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

the "Canterbury Tales" pilgrims

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Ruritania

> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?

Pericles

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

terra cotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

tempera

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.

batik

> * Taking It to the Streets
>
> 13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
> a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
> Give the film's title.

"Exit Through the Gift Shop"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Björn Lundin

1 Feb 2015, 09:19:3801/02/2015
On 2015-02-01 06:37, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.
>

> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.

Christoph

> * Literary Geography
>
> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Zendarien...

> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?

Richard III

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

Terracotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

eggnog. No wait, you drink that.

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.

Batique (spelling is a guesswork)

--
Björn

Dan Blum

1 Feb 2015, 09:59:4601/02/2015
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Poetry

> In each case, name the poet.

> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."

Robert Frost

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne

> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

T. S. Eliot

> * My Kid Could Do That!

> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.

> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.

Christo

> * Literary Geography

> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

The Canterbury pilgrims

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Ruritania

> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?

Pericles

> * Artisans and their Arts

> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

terra cotta

> * Taking It to the Streets

> Not all art is displayed within the traditional confines of
> a gallery.

> 13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
> a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
> Give the film's title.

Exit Through the Gift Shop

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Jason Kreitzer

1 Feb 2015, 10:54:1601/02/2015
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 12:37:29 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,

> Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."
Robert Frost
> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
John Donne?
> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
>

> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.
>
> 4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
> titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
> To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it.
> It's only the rest that's for labor.
>
> 5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
> bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists
> of three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off
> as an investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10
> times the cost.
>
> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.
Christo?

Calvin

1 Feb 2015, 18:20:4201/02/2015
On Sunday, February 1, 2015 at 3:37:29 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."

Frost

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Donne

> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

Blake, Spenser

> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.
>
> 4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
> titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
> To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it.
> It's only the rest that's for labor.

Hirst

> 5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
> bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists
> of three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off
> as an investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10
> times the cost.

Mondrian

> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.
>

> * Literary Geography
>
> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

Knights Templar?

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Ruritania

> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?

Othello, Hamlet

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

Terracotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

Tempura

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.

Batik

> * Taking It to the Streets
>
> Not all art is displayed within the traditional confines of
> a gallery.
>
> 13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
> a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
> Give the film's title.
>
> 14. In Toronto's 1993 bicentennial, a huge mural was unveiled
> on Front St. E., showing 32 vignettes from the city's history.
> The mural was removed in 2011 to accommodate an LCBO.
> Whose building did it grace the side of?
>
> 15. Name the title sponsor of Toronto's "Nuit Blanche" art event.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

1 Feb 2015, 22:25:1701/02/2015
Mark Brader wrote:

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."

Frost

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

Tennyson

> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

Eliot

> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.
>
> 4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
> titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
> To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it.
> It's only the rest that's for labor.
>
> 5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
> bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists
> of three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off
> as an investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10
> times the cost.
>
> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.

Cristo

> * Literary Geography
>
> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

Canterbury Tales' pilgrims

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Ruritania

> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?

Othello

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

terracotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

tempura

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.
>

> * Taking It to the Streets
>
> Not all art is displayed within the traditional confines of
> a gallery.
>
> 13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
> a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
> Give the film's title.
>
> 14. In Toronto's 1993 bicentennial, a huge mural was unveiled
> on Front St. E., showing 32 vignettes from the city's history.
> The mural was removed in 2011 to accommodate an LCBO.
> Whose building did it grace the side of?
>
> 15. Name the title sponsor of Toronto's "Nuit Blanche" art event.

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

2 Feb 2015, 10:52:5102/02/2015
On Sat, 31 Jan 2015 23:37:28 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Unnatural Axxxe, and are used
> here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2014-09-15
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here To watch his woods fill up with
> snow."

Sandberg?

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me,
> because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know
> for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
>
> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

Coleridge?

> * My Kid Could Do That!
>
> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From the
> outrage, name the artist.
>
> 4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
> titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
> To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it. It's
> only the rest that's for labor.
>
> 5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
> bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists of
> three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off as an
> investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10 times the
> cost.
>
> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central Park.
> Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said it looked
> like a Home Depot ad.

Christo

> * Literary Geography
>
> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

The folks in the Canterbury tales;
The folks on a Journey to the Center of the Earth

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?
>
> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?
>

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

Terracotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

Tempera

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed and
> dye-resistant areas.

Batik

Marc Dashevsky

2 Feb 2015, 13:02:3302/02/2015
In article <OoSdnRWJdvUFJlDJ...@vex.net>, m...@vex.net says...
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> * Poetry
>
> In each case, name the poet.
>
> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."
Frost

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."
Donne

> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."
>

> * Literary Geography
>
> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)
Chaucer's pilgrims

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?
>
> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?
>

> * Artisans and their Arts
>
> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?
terracotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?
tempera (inverse of a recent Calvanism I believe)

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.
batik

Rob Parker

3 Feb 2015, 07:11:2103/02/2015
> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature
>
> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

Yeats

> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

the pilgrims of the Canterbury Tales

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Ruritania

> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

terracotta

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

tempera

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.

batik

Rob

Mark Brader

4 Feb 2015, 05:33:0904/02/2015
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2014-12-08,
> see my 2014-09-15 companion posting on "Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> ** Final, Round 3 - Arts & Literature

> * Poetry

> In each case, name the poet.

> 1. "Whose woods these are I think I know.
> His house is in the village though;
> He will not see me stopping here
> To watch his woods fill up with snow."

Robert Frost ("Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening"). 4 for Joshua,
Dan Blum, Jason, Calvin, Dan Tilque, and Marc.

> 2. "No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of
> the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes
> me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send
> to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee."

John Donne ("Meditations XVII"). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Jason,
Calvin, and Marc.

Donne actually spelled the lines as "No man is an Iland, intire of
it selfe; every man is a peece of the Continent, a part of the maine"
and "any mans death diminishes me, because I am involved in Mankinde;
And therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; It tolls
for thee."

> 3. "Turning and turning in the widening gyre,
> The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
> Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
> Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world..."

William Butler Yeats ("The Second Coming"). 4 for Joshua and Rob.

> * My Kid Could Do That!

> Sometimes abstract art hits a public nerve and causes outrage. From
> the outrage, name the artist.

> 4. This English artist's diamond-encrusted platinum-cast skull,
> titled "For the Love of God", was for sale at £50,000,000.
> To be fair, it's got around £14,000,000 worth of jewels on it.
> It's only the rest that's for labor.

Damien Hirst. 4 for Peter and Calvin.

> 5. "Those are my tax dollars!" In 1989, the National Gallery
> bought the painting "Voice of Fire" for $1,800,000. It consists
> of three vertical stripes: blue, red, and blue. It's paid off
> as an investment, though -- it's now estimated at at least 10
> times the cost.

Barnett Newman.

> 6. A massive public artwork called "The Gates" installed 7,500
> "gates" hung with saffron-colored fabric in New York's Central
> Park. Mayor Bloomberg defended it, but the New York Post said
> it looked like a Home Depot ad.

Hristo "Christo" Yavachev and his wife Jeanne-Claude Denat de
Guillebon. "Christo" was sufficient. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Blum,
Jason, Dan Tilque, and Bruce. 3 for Björn.

> * Literary Geography

> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
> individuals.)

The pilgrims in Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". 4 for Peter, Joshua,
Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Rob. 2 for Bruce.

> 8. In which fictional country is the castle of Zenda to be found,
> in the novel "The Prisoner of Zenda"?

Ruritania. 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan Blum, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
and Rob.

> 9. Which real-life-based Shakespearean character was known as the
> Prince of Tyre?

Pericles. 4 for Peter, Joshua, and Dan Blum.

> * Artisans and their Arts

> 10. Which pottery form takes its name from the Italian words for
> "baked earth"?

Terra cotta. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Björn, Dan Blum, Calvin,
Dan Tilque, Bruce, Marc, and Rob.

> 11. What term is given to the painting technique where pigment is
> mixed and bound with egg yolk?

Tempera. (Not tempura, which is Japanese seafood or vegetables
fried in batter.) 4 for Joshua, Bruce, Marc, and Rob.

> 12. Indonesia leads the world in this art form. First a
> dye-resistant wax is applied to selected areas of a cloth;
> then the cloth is dyed, creating a pattern between the dyed
> and dye-resistant areas.

Batik. 4 for Erland, Joshua, Björn, Calvin, Bruce, Marc, and Rob.

> * Taking It to the Streets

> Not all art is displayed within the traditional confines of
> a gallery.

> 13. Banksy is the pseudonym of a famous graffiti artist. In 2011,
> a documentary about him was nominated for an Academy Award.
> Give the film's title.

"Exit through the Gift Shop". 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 14. During Ontario's 1993 bicentennial, a huge mural was unveiled
> on Front St. E., showing 32 vignettes from history. The mural
> was removed in 2011 to accommodate an LCBO. Whose building
> did it grace the side of?

The "Toronto Sun".

See: http://www.holdingsteady.com/shared/Toronto_Sun_Mural_1.jpg

> 15. Name the title sponsor of Toronto's "Nuit Blanche" art event.

Scotiabank.

Scores, if there are no errors:

ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> His Lit
Joshua Kreitzer 52 44 96
Dan Blum 32 32 64
Dan Tilque 36 20 56
Rob Parker 32 24 56
"Calvin" 31 24 55
Bruce Bowler 36 18 54
Erland Sommarskog 28 8 36
Pete Gayde 35 -- 35
Peter Smyth 12 20 32
Jason Kreitzer 20 12 32
Marc Dashevsky -- 24 24
Björn Lundin 8 11 19

--
Mark Brader "It's okay to have our own language if we feel
Toronto we need it, but why does it have to be used

Bruce Bowler

4 Feb 2015, 11:32:0404/02/2015
On Wed, 04 Feb 2015 04:33:08 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

>> 7. Which medieval literary characters set out on a journey from
>> the Tabard Inn, Southwark? (Identify the group, not the
>> individuals.)
>
> The pilgrims in Chaucer's "Canterbury Tales". 4 for Peter, Joshua, Dan
> Blum, Dan Tilque, Marc, and Rob. 2 for Bruce.

Scoring question (as in I can't remember all of the scoring rules).

Not that 1 point makes a lot of difference but Canterbury tales was my
first of 2 answers. Shouldn't I get 3? Or is it because I said "folks
in" rather than "pilgrims in"

Bruce

Mark Brader

4 Feb 2015, 13:41:5004/02/2015
Bruce Bowler:
> Or is it because I said "folks in" rather than "pilgrims in"[?]

Yes.
--
Mark Brader | There is no rule that relates [these behaviors]...
Toronto | In general, they do what you want, unless you want