QFTCIMI520 Game 5, Rounds 2-3: fictional places and young animals

Mark Brader

Apr 20, 2020, 1:05:07 AM4/20/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-02-10,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
(QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air

We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
created it.

1. Manderley.
2. Brideshead Castle.
3. Hill House.
4. Blandings Castle.
5. Wuthering Heights.
6. Villa Villakula.
7. Tara.
8. Malfoy Manor.
9. Bag End.
10. Pemberley.

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
fnvq "Oebagr" be "Oebagė" sbe nal nafjre, avpr gel, ohg jr qb arrq
gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq fhccyl vg.

* Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names

We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.

Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".

Here's the handout:

| Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
| Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
| Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
| Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
| Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
| Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
| Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
| Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
| Cub | Joey | Poult

1. Alligator.
2. Hawk.
3. Koala.
4. Alpaca or llama.
5. Pigeon.
6. Swan.
7. Clam.
8. Hare.
9. Cicada.
10. Salmon.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
m...@vex.net -- Clive Feather

Dan Blum

Apr 20, 2020, 9:29:23 AM4/20/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air

> 2. Brideshead Castle.

Evelyn Waugh

> 3. Hill House.

Shirley Jackson

> 4. Blandings Castle.

P. G. Wodehouse

> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Emily Bronte

> 7. Tara.

Margaret Mitchell

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

J. K. Rowling

> 9. Bag End.

J. R. R. Tolkien

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names

> 1. Alligator.

hatchling

> 2. Hawk.

fledgling

> 3. Koala.

cub

> 4. Alpaca or llama.

calf

> 5. Pigeon.

chick

> 6. Swan.

cygnet

> 7. Clam.

smolt; cria

> 8. Hare.

kit; pinkie

> 9. Cicada.

nymph

> 10. Salmon.

fingerling

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 20, 2020, 2:19:56 PM4/20/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air
>
> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Kate Bush :-)

> 6. Villa Villakula.

Astrd Lindgren (And the name is originally Villa Villerkulla)

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names
>
> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.
>
> Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
> to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
> the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
> specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
> meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
> then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".
>
> Here's the handout:
>
> | Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
> | Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
> | Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
> | Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
> | Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
> | Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
> | Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
> | Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
> | Cub | Joey | Poult
>
> 1. Alligator.

Squab

> 2. Hawk.

Elver

> 3. Koala.

Cria

> 4. Alpaca or llama.

Cub

> 5. Pigeon.

Chick

> 6. Swan.

Cygnet

> 7. Clam.

Poult

> 8. Hare.

Whelp

> 9. Cicada.

Larva

> 10. Salmon.

Fawn

Dan Tilque

Apr 20, 2020, 5:08:21 PM4/20/20
On 4/19/20 10:05 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air
>
> We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> created it.
>
> 1. Manderley.
> 2. Brideshead Castle.
> 3. Hill House.
> 4. Blandings Castle.
> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Emily Bronte

> 6. Villa Villakula.
> 7. Tara.

Margaret Mitchell

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

Rowling

> 9. Bag End.

Tolkien

> 10. Pemberley.
>
> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Oebagr" be "Oebagë" sbe nal nafjre, avpr gel, ohg jr qb arrq
> gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names
>
> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.
>
> Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
> to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
> the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
> specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
> meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
> then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".
>
> Here's the handout:
>
> | Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
> | Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
> | Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
> | Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
> | Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
> | Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
> | Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
> | Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
> | Cub | Joey | Poult
>
> 1. Alligator.
> 2. Hawk.

fledgling

> 3. Koala.
> 4. Alpaca or llama.
> 5. Pigeon.

poult

> 6. Swan.

cygnet

> 7. Clam.
> 8. Hare.

farrow

> 9. Cicada.

chrysalis

> 10. Salmon.

smolt

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Apr 20, 2020, 10:02:07 PM4/20/20
On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 1:05:07 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-02-10,
> and should be interpreted accordingly.

noted

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air
>
> We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> created it.
>
> 1. Manderley.

daphne du maurier

> 2. Brideshead Castle.

evelyn waugh

> 3. Hill House.

shirley jackson

> 4. Blandings Castle.

p g wodehouse

> 5. Wuthering Heights.

emily bronte

> 6. Villa Villakula.

astrid lindgren

> 7. Tara.

margaret mitchell

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

j k rowling

> 9. Bag End.

j r r tolkien

> 10. Pemberley.

jane austen

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: If you just
> said "Bronte" or "Brontė" for any answer, nice try, but we do need
> the first name. Go back and supply it.

while I did not include the diacritical mark over the final "e" in my answer, I do not think the one that rot13.com picked in the above translation is correct.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names
>
> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.
>
> Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
> to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
> the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
> specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
> meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
> then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".
>
> Here's the handout:
>
> | Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
> | Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
> | Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
> | Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
> | Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
> | Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
> | Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
> | Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
> | Cub | Joey | Poult
>
> 1. Alligator.

hatchling

> 2. Hawk.

eyas

> 3. Koala.

joey

> 4. Alpaca or llama.

cria

> 5. Pigeon.

squab

> 6. Swan.

cygnet

> 7. Clam.

larva

> 8. Hare.

leveret

> 9. Cicada.

nymph

> 10. Salmon.

smolt

> --
> Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
> m...@vex.net -- Clive Feather
>
> My text in this article is in the public domain.

swp, who is still just a lab accident away from becoming a super-villain

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 21, 2020, 12:13:04 AM4/21/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TrudnQC5k87jsADDnZ2dnUU7-
InN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air
>
> We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> created it.
>
> 1. Manderley.

du Maurier

> 3. Hill House.

Jackson

> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Emily Bronte; Charlotte Bronte

> 7. Tara.

Mitchell

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

Rowling

> 9. Bag End.

Tolkien

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Oebagr" be "Oebagė" sbe nal nafjre, avpr gel, ohg jr qb arrq
> gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq fhccyl vg.

Bxnl, ohg V'yy unir gb hfr gjb thrffrf sbe gung.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names
>
> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.
>
> 1. Alligator.

hatchling

> 2. Hawk.

fledgling

> 3. Koala.

cub; joey

> 4. Alpaca or llama.

cria

> 5. Pigeon.

squab

> 6. Swan.

cygnet

> 7. Clam.

pluteus

> 8. Hare.

leveret

> 9. Cicada.

nymph

> 10. Salmon.

smolt

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Apr 21, 2020, 6:09:33 AM4/21/20
On Monday, April 20, 2020 at 3:05:07 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air
>
> We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> created it.

Nice!

> 1. Manderley.

du Maurier

> 2. Brideshead Castle.

Waugh

> 3. Hill House.
> 4. Blandings Castle.

Wodehouse

> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Charlotte Bronte, Emily Bronte

> 6. Villa Villakula.

Cervantes, Marquez

> 7. Tara.

Mitchell

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

Rowling

> 9. Bag End.

Tolkein

> 10. Pemberley.

Austen

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names
>
> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.
>
> Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
> to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
> the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
> specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
> meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
> then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".
>
> Here's the handout:
>
> | Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
> | Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
> | Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
> | Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
> | Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
> | Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
> | Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
> | Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
> | Cub | Joey | Poult
>
> 1. Alligator.
> 2. Hawk.

Fledgeling?

> 3. Koala.

Puggle

> 4. Alpaca or llama.
> 5. Pigeon.

Squab

> 6. Swan.

Cygnet

> 7. Clam.
> 8. Hare.

Leveret

> 9. Cicada.

larva

> 10. Salmon.

Smolt

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2020, 2:09:53 PM4/21/20
Mark Brader:
> > We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> > created it.

"Calvin":
> Nice!

No, that's a real place. :-)
--
Mark Brader | ...I'm comfortably ensconced with a warm newsgroup
Toronto | so I'm asking the assembled multitude here...

Pete Gayde

Apr 21, 2020, 4:19:57 PM4/21/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:TrudnQC5k87jsADDnZ2dnUU7-
InN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-02-10,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
> permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
> and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2019-10-16
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition
> (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air
>
> We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> created it.
>
> 1. Manderley.
> 2. Brideshead Castle.
> 3. Hill House.
> 4. Blandings Castle.
> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Emily Bronte

> 6. Villa Villakula.

Lemony Snicket

> 7. Tara.

Mitchell

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

Rowling

> 9. Bag End.

Tolkien

> 10. Pemberley.

Lewis

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: Vs lbh whfg
> fnvq "Oebagr" be "Oebagė" sbe nal nafjre, avpr gel, ohg jr qb arrq
> gur svefg anzr. Tb onpx naq fhccyl vg.
>

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names
>
> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.
>
> Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
> to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
> the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
> specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
> meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
> then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".
>
> Here's the handout:
>
> | Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
> | Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
> | Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
> | Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
> | Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
> | Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
> | Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
> | Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
> | Cub | Joey | Poult
>
> 1. Alligator.
> 2. Hawk.

Kit

> 3. Koala.

Joey

> 4. Alpaca or llama.
> 5. Pigeon.
> 6. Swan.

Cygnet

> 7. Clam.
> 8. Hare.

Farrow

> 9. Cicada.

Pupa

> 10. Salmon.

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2020, 1:25:41 AM4/23/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2020-02-10,
> see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 2 - Literature - Homes and Castles in the Air

> We name a fictional dwelling place; you name the author who
> created it.

> 1. Manderley.

Daphne du Maurier. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 2. Brideshead Castle.

Evelyn Waugh. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Calvin.

> 3. Hill House.

Shirley Jackson. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 4. Blandings Castle.

P.G. Wodehouse. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Calvin.

> 5. Wuthering Heights.

Emily Brontė. (Both names required.) 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
Stephen, and Pete. 3 for Joshua. 2 for Calvin.

> 6. Villa Villakula.

Astrid Lindgren. 4 for Erland and Stephen.

> 7. Tara.

Margaret Mitchell. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua,
Calvin, and Pete.

> 8. Malfoy Manor.

J.K. Rowling. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, Calvin,
and Pete.

> 9. Bag End.

J.R.R. Tolkien. 4 for Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua,
Calvin, and Pete.

> 10. Pemberley.

Jane Austen. 4 for Stephen and Calvin.

> * Game 5, Round 3 - Science - Young Animal Names

> We'll give you the name of an adult animal; from the list on the
> handout, you select the name given to that animal's young.

> Note that some baby animals have more than one name; you need
> to pick out the correct one that is included on the list on
> the handout. Also, you must pick the term that refers *most
> specifically* to the animal we ask for. For example, if "antling"
> meant a young dog, cat, bull, goat, or sheep, and we said "cat",
> then you would have to say "kitten" and *not* "antling".

> Here's the handout:

> | Antling | Cygnet | Kit | Puggle
> | Calf | Elver | Kitten | Pullet
> | Caterpillar | Eyas | Larva | Pupa
> | Chick | Farrow | Leveret | Smolt
> | Chrysalis | Fawn | Nymph | Spiderling
> | Cockrell | Fingerling | Pinkie | Squab
> | Cosset | Fledgling | Pluteus | Whelp
> | Cria | Hatchling | Porcupette
> | Cub | Joey | Poult

> 1. Alligator.

Hatchling. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 2. Hawk.

Eyas. (See below.) 4 for Stephen.

> 3. Koala.

Joey. 4 for Stephen and Pete. 2 for Joshua.

> 4. Alpaca or llama.

Cria. 4 for Stephen and Joshua.

> 5. Pigeon.

Squab. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 6. Swan.

Cygnet. 4 for everyone -- Dan Blum, Erland, Dan Tilque, Stephen,
Joshua, Calvin, and Pete.

> 7. Clam.

Larva. 4 for Stephen.

> 8. Hare.

Leveret. 4 for Stephen, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 9. Cicada.

Nymph. 4 for Dan Blum, Stephen, and Joshua.

> 10. Salmon.

Smolt. 4 for Dan Tilque, Stephen, Joshua, and Calvin.

We weren't given a list of the others, but I looked them up.
In some cases the term relates to a specific stage of growth or
to an animal in specific circumstances, and in some it has the
meaning I list but typically covers a narrower range of species
than listed here.

Antling -> ant
Calf -> bovine, elephant, moose, whale
Caterpillar -> butterfly, moth
Chick -> bird
Chrysalis -> certain insects (but the cicada)
Cockrell -> no such meaning in modern English that I can find
Cosset -> sheep
Cub -> carnivorous mammal, shark
Elver -> eel
Farrow -> pig
Fawn -> deer
Fingerling -> fish
Fledgling -> bird
Kit -> beaver, cat, fox, raccoon
Kitten -> beaver, cat
Pinkie -> greenbottle fly
Pluteus -> echinoid, ophiuroid
Porcupette -> porcupine
Poult -> fowl
Puggle -> monotreme
Pullet -> chicken
Pupa -> certain insects (but the cicada)
Spiderling -> spider
Whelp -> carnivorous mammal

In the original game the warning that you had to use the most specific
term was not present; consequently both "chick" and "fledgling" were
protested for "hawk", and could also have been protested for "pigeon"
or "swan". However, with that wording in place, they were wrong
answers for all three of those questions. Similarly "fingerling"
was not acceptable for "salmon", and there may have been others.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Lit Sci
Stephen Perry 40 40 80
Joshua Kreitzer 23 30 53
"Calvin" 30 16 46
Dan Blum 28 12 40
Dan Tilque 16 8 24
Pete Gayde 16 8 24
Erland Sommarskog 4 4 8

--
Mark Brader | "Nothing is more sacrosanct than our professional ethics.
Toronto | Fortunately, I know a trick to get around them."

Mark Brader

Apr 23, 2020, 1:32:51 AM4/23/20
Stephen Perry:
> while I did not include the diacritical mark over the final "e" in my
> answer, I do not think the one that rot13.com picked in the above
> translation is correct.

Well, if you must use something other than "tr A-Za-z N-ZA-Mn-za-m"
or the g? command in vim, then I figure it's your problem. The
character I posted was an ISO 8859-1 "ë" (lower case E with two
dots), which you also saw in the answer posting. As a non-ASCII
character, it has no business being transformed under rot13. The
"derotted" character you posted was Unicode code point 0117 (hex),
or a lower case E with one dot. (I don't post in Unicode.)

I cannot imagine how that could have arisen, but it wasn't my doing.
--
Mark Brader | "Forgive me if I misunderstood myself, but
Toronto | I don't think I was arguing in favour of that..."

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 24, 2020, 1:13:22 AM4/24/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:gdSdnZWn7qVSuzzDnZ2dnUU7-
evN...@giganews.com:

> We weren't given a list of the others, but I looked them up.
> In some cases the term relates to a specific stage of growth or
> to an animal in specific circumstances, and in some it has the
> meaning I list but typically covers a narrower range of species
> than listed here.
>
> Cockrell -> no such meaning in modern English that I can find

While it's not the contemporary spelling, the Oxford English Dictionary
indicates that this was a formerly used spelling of "cockerel" meaning a
young male chicken. The only quotation OED cites for that spelling is from
1653, which is, technically, in the Modern English era.

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

Apr 24, 2020, 12:40:30 PM4/24/20
Mark Brader:
> > Cockrell -> no such meaning in modern English that I can find

Joshua Kreitzer:
> While it's not the contemporary spelling, the Oxford English Dictionary
> indicates that this was a formerly used spelling of "cockerel" meaning a
> young male chicken.

I found that, of course; that's why I said "modern English".

> 1653, which is, technically, in the Modern English era.

But I did not say "Modern". So there.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Police Stop Slaying Suspect Look-alikes"
m...@vex.net | --Yakima, WA, Herald-Republic, 2001-08-26

Mark Brader

May 9, 2020, 9:55:59 PM5/9/20
Mark Brader:
> We weren't given a list of the others, but I looked them up...

> Porcupette -> porcupine...

By the way, that one came up on Thursday on "Master Minds", this season's
much improved version of what last year had the terrible name of "Best
Ever Trivia Show". It was multiple-choice on the show, and I believe only
about 1 out of 3 contestants and 1 out of 3 expert players got it right.
--
Mark Brader "I used to own a mind like a steel trap.
Toronto Perhaps if I'd specified a brass one, it