QFTCIBSI Game 2, Rounds 4,6: dogs, before color after

Mark Brader

Feb 1, 2016, 1:20:13 AM2/1/16
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World

1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?

2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?

3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
renamed. Name the breed.

4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
county. Name *either one of those counties*.

7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

9. This breed, once called the "Little River duck dog", was
developed in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. What is the full name used
by the Canadian Kennel Club?

10. Another Canadian breed, this large gentle dog excels at water
rescue and have unusual webbed feet. What is its name?

After completing the round, please decode the rot13: ba gur svsgu
dhrfgvba, gur nafjre vf guerr jbeqf. Ba gur avagu dhrfgvba,
vg'f svir jbeqf. Va rnpu pnfr, vs lbh qvqa'g tvir gung znal,
tb onpx naq nqq gur erfg.

* Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After

A "before and after" consists of two names or phrases where the
last word of the first one is the first word of the second, and
is only given once. Sometimes a compound word may be treated as
two separate words to make the construction possible: for example,
"waterfall" might combine with "fall colors" to make "waterfall
colors" (or "water fall colors").

In this round, the common word (where the phrases overlap) *will
always be a color*. To make it a bit trickier (and for humor
value), we will word the questions as if they are talking about
just one person or thing.

For example, suppose we said: "The agent from the TV show
'Entourage' is the person standing highest on an Olympic podium".
Well, the agent from "Entourage" would be Ari Gold, and the gold
medalist stands highest, so the answer you'd have to give would be
"Ari Gold medalist".

You must give *all words* of the "before and after".

1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
Beatles thought we all live in.

6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
also playing a Carl Perkins song.

6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
Netflix original series.

8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
a 1984 album by Prince.

9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
thing that can kill a werewolf.

10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Oh what a tangled web we weave,
m...@vex.net | a literate geekiness to achieve." --Steve Summit

bbowler

Feb 1, 2016, 9:58:52 AM2/1/16
On Mon, 01 Feb 2016 00:20:13 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the
> questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars, and
> are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2015-08-18
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian Kennel
> Club. Which breed comes *last*?

Yorkshire Terrier

> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?

Basenji

> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.

Rhodesian Ridgeback

> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

Beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

Portuguese Water dog

> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former county.
> Name *either one of those counties*.

Pembrokeshire

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion and
> guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Doberman

> 8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
> parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

Jack Russell

> 9. This breed, once called the "Little River duck dog", was
> developed in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. What is the full name used by
> the Canadian Kennel Club?

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever

> 10. Another Canadian breed, this large gentle dog excels at water
> rescue and have unusual webbed feet. What is its name?

Newfoundland

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: on the fifth
> question, the answer is three words. On the ninth question,
> it's five words. In each case, if you didn't give that many,
>

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After
>
> A "before and after" consists of two names or phrases where the last
> word of the first one is the first word of the second, and is only given
> once. Sometimes a compound word may be treated as two separate words to
> make the construction possible: for example, "waterfall" might combine
> with "fall colors" to make "waterfall colors" (or "water fall colors").
>
> In this round, the common word (where the phrases overlap) *will always
> be a color*. To make it a bit trickier (and for humor value), we will
> word the questions as if they are talking about just one person or
> thing.
>
> For example, suppose we said: "The agent from the TV show 'Entourage' is
> the person standing highest on an Olympic podium". Well, the agent from
> "Entourage" would be Ari Gold, and the gold medalist stands highest, so
> the answer you'd have to give would be "Ari Gold medalist".
>
> You must give *all words* of the "before and after".
>
> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

Murphy Brown Sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty Whitehouse

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Erik the Red Grange

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Suede Shoes

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange is the New Black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Jack Silver Bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay Packers

Dan Blum

Feb 1, 2016, 10:06:07 AM2/1/16
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World

> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?

yellow Labrador

> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?

basenji

> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.

Rhodesian ridgeback

> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

Portuguese water spaniel

> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.

Chester; Powys

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Doberman

> 8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
> parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

Jack Russell

> 10. Another Canadian breed, this large gentle dog excels at water
> rescue and have unusual webbed feet. What is its name?

Newfoundland

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After

> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

Murphy Brown Sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty White House

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Erik the Red Grange

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Heaven

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange is the New Black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay Packers

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Peter Smyth

Feb 1, 2016, 1:24:17 PM2/1/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> [...]
> two separate words to make the construction possible: for example,
> "waterfall" might combine with "fall colors" to make "waterfall
> colors" (or "water fall colors").
>
> In this round, the common word (where the phrases overlap) *will
> always be a color*. To make it a bit trickier (and for humor
> value), we will word the questions as if they are talking about
> just one person or thing.
>
> For example, suppose we said: "The agent from the TV show
> 'Entourage' is the person standing highest on an Olympic podium".
> Well, the agent from "Entourage" would be Ari Gold, and the gold
> medalist stands highest, so the answer you'd have to give would be
> "Ari Gold medalist".
>
> You must give *all words* of the "before and after".
>
> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.
? Brown Sugar
> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.
Betty White House
> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".
Erik the Red ?
> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.
Mellow Yellow Submarine
> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.
Deep Blue Velvet
> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.
Jack Black Jack
> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.
Agent Orange is the New Black
> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.
Deep Purple Rain
> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.
Long John Silver Bullet
> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.
Soylent Green Bay Packers

Peter Smyth

Björn Lundin

Feb 1, 2016, 4:29:47 PM2/1/16
On 2016-02-01 07:20, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?
>
> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?
>
> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.

Rhodesian ridgeback

> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

Foxterrier

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?
>
> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.
>
> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Dobermann
Michelle? White house

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Erik red stallion?

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Cruise ? yellow submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

deep blue moon?

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Richie? black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange is the new black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep purple rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver Bullit

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Björn

Calvin

Feb 1, 2016, 5:31:49 PM2/1/16
On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 4:20:13 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?

Weimaranar

> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?

Basenji

> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.

Rhodesian Ridgeback

> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

Beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

Miniature Toy Poodle

> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.

Pembrokeshire

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Rottweil, Dober

> 8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
> parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

Jack Russell

> 9. This breed, once called the "Little River duck dog", was
> developed in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. What is the full name used
> by the Canadian Kennel Club?
>
> 10. Another Canadian breed, this large gentle dog excels at water
> rescue and have unusual webbed feet. What is its name?

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After
>

> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

Murphy Brown Sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty White House

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Eric the Red someone

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Suede Shoes

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange is the New Black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver Bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay Packers

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Feb 1, 2016, 8:16:53 PM2/1/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Wv-dnaKWlsKAZDPLnZ2dnUU7-
bed...@giganews.com:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.

Rhodesian ridgeback

> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

Portuguese water dog

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Doberman

> 8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
> parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

Jack Russell

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After
>
> You must give *all words* of the "before and after".
>
> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

Murphy Brown Sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty White House

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Erik the Red Grange

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Suede Shoes

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Blackjack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange Is the New Black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay Packers

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Jason Kreitzer

Feb 2, 2016, 4:57:40 PM2/2/16
On Monday, February 1, 2016 at 1:20:13 AM UTC-5, Mark Brader wrote:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?
>
> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?
>
> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.
>
> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?
Beagle
> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?
>
> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.
>
> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?
Weimerauner?
Murphy Brown Sugar
> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.
Betty White House
> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".
>
> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.
Mellow Yellow Submarine
> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.
Big Blue Suede Shoes
> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.
Jack Black Jack
> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.
>
> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.
Deep Purple Rain
> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.
Long John Silver Bullet
> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.
Soylent Green Bay Packers

Erland Sommarskog

Feb 2, 2016, 5:12:31 PM2/2/16
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

Beagle

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After
>
> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

xxxx brown sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

xxx white house

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Erik Red xxx

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow yellow submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep blue suede shoes

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent orange xxx

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep purple rain

Pete

Feb 2, 2016, 5:22:19 PM2/2/16
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Wv-dnaKWlsKAZDPLnZ2dnUU7-
bed...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Bloor St. Irregulars,
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?
>
> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?
>
> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.
>
> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

Beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

Portuguese Water Dog

> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.

Cornwall

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Schaefer
? Brown Sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty White House

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Eric the Red Grange

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Suede Shoes

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange is the New Black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver Bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay Packers

Pete

Marc Dashevsky

Feb 2, 2016, 6:53:20 PM2/2/16
In article <Wv-dnaKWlsKAZDPL...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?
Yorkshire terrier

> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?
>
> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.
>
> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?
beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?
Portuguese water dog

> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.
Cardiff

> [...]

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.
Betty White House

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".
Erik the Red Grange

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.
Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.
Deep Blue Suede Shoes

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.
Jack Black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.
Agent Orange is the New Black

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
Deep Purple Rain

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.
Long John Silver Bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.
Soylent Green Bay Packers

A great set of questions in this round

Dan Tilque

Feb 3, 2016, 9:10:30 PM2/3/16
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World
>
> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?

Wolfhound

> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?

basenji

> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.
>
> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

beagle

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?
>
> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.

Corgi

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Dobermann

> 8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
> parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

Springer ?

> 9. This breed, once called the "Little River duck dog", was
> developed in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. What is the full name used
> by the Canadian Kennel Club?

Labrador retriever ?

> 10. Another Canadian breed, this large gentle dog excels at water
> rescue and have unusual webbed feet. What is its name?

Newfoundland dog

> After completing the round, please decode the rot13: ba gur svsgu
> dhrfgvba, gur nafjre vf guerr jbeqf. Ba gur avagu dhrfgvba,
> vg'f svir jbeqf. Va rnpu pnfr, vs lbh qvqa'g tvir gung znal,
> tb onpx naq nqq gur erfg.
>

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After
>
> A "before and after" consists of two names or phrases where the
> last word of the first one is the first word of the second, and
> is only given once. Sometimes a compound word may be treated as
> two separate words to make the construction possible: for example,
> "waterfall" might combine with "fall colors" to make "waterfall
> colors" (or "water fall colors").
>
> In this round, the common word (where the phrases overlap) *will
> always be a color*. To make it a bit trickier (and for humor
> value), we will word the questions as if they are talking about
> just one person or thing.
>
> For example, suppose we said: "The agent from the TV show
> 'Entourage' is the person standing highest on an Olympic podium".
> Well, the agent from "Entourage" would be Ari Gold, and the gold
> medalist stands highest, so the answer you'd have to give would be
> "Ari Gold medalist".
>
> You must give *all words* of the "before and after".
>
> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

Murphy Brown Sugar

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty White House

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Eric the Red Grange

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine

> 6. The IBM program that won a game against Gary Kasparov, while
> also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Suede Shoes

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Black Jack

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.
>
> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Haze

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver Bullet

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Feb 4, 2016, 12:27:46 AM2/4/16
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2015-09-28,
> see my 2015-08-18 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 2, Round 4 - Science - It's a Doggy-Dog World

> 1. The affenpinscher, a small breed of German origin, comes first
> on the alphabetical list of breeds recognized by the Canadian
> Kennel Club. Which breed comes *last*?

Yorkshire terrier. 4 for Bruce, Peter, and Marc.

> 2. Which breed is known as the barkless dog of central Africa?

Basenji. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Another African breed, it was developed by Cornelius Van
> Rooyen to hunt lions. Its name is geographically anachronistic,
> as it mentions a country which has either disappeared or been
> renamed. Name the breed.

Rhodesian ridgeback. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Björn, Calvin,
and Joshua.

> 4. What breed is Snoopy of "Peanuts" fame?

Beagle. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Erland, Pete,
Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. What breed is the Obamas' dog, Bo?

Portuguese water dog. All words were required for full marks.
4 for Bruce, Joshua, Pete, and Marc. 3 for Dan Blum.

> 6. This breed, favoured by the Queen, comes in two strains both
> named after Welsh counties: one current county and one former
> county. Name *either one of those counties*.

Pembrokeshire, Cardiganshire. (They're corgis, yes, but you were
asked for the counties, not that.) 4 for Bruce, Peter, and Calvin.

> 7. This breed was developed by a German tax collector and is well
> known as an intelligent, alert, and tenaciously loyal companion
> and guard dog. What was the tax collector's name?

Karl Friedrich Louis Dobermann. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Björn,
Joshua, Marc, and Dan Tilque. 1 for Calvin.

> 8. Small white working terriers were first bred by an English
> parson and hunting enthusiast born in 1795. What was his name?

Rev. John "Jack" Russell. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua,
and Marc.

> 9. This breed, once called the "Little River duck dog", was
> developed in Yarmouth, Nova Scotia. What is the full name used
> by the Canadian Kennel Club?

Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever. All words were required for
full points. 4 for Bruce.

> 10. Another Canadian breed, this large gentle dog excels at water
> rescue and have unusual webbed feet. What is its name?

Newfoundland. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> * Game 2, Round 6 - Miscellaneous - Colorful Before and After

> A "before and after" consists of two names or phrases where the
> last word of the first one is the first word of the second, and
> is only given once. Sometimes a compound word may be treated as
> two separate words to make the construction possible: for example,
> "waterfall" might combine with "fall colors" to make "waterfall
> colors" (or "water fall colors").

> In this round, the common word (where the phrases overlap) *will
> always be a color*. To make it a bit trickier (and for humor
> value), we will word the questions as if they are talking about
> just one person or thing.

> For example, suppose we said: "The agent from the TV show
> 'Entourage' is the person standing highest on an Olympic podium".
> Well, the agent from "Entourage" would be Ari Gold, and the gold
> medalist stands highest, so the answer you'd have to give would be
> "Ari Gold medalist".

> You must give *all words* of the "before and after".

This was the easiest round in the original game, and the
second-easiest in the entire season.

> 1. Candice Bergen title character who tastes so good, just like
> a young girl should, according to the Rolling Stones.

Murphy Brown Sugar. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Calvin, Joshua, Jason,
Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 2. She played Rose on "The Golden Girls" and lives at 1600
> Pennsylvania Avenue, Washington DC.

Betty White House. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Joshua,
Jason, Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Father of Leif Erikson with the nickname "the Galloping Ghost".

Erik the Red Grange. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Joshua, Pete, Marc,
and Dan Tilque.

> 4. Donovan sang about a relaxed form of marine transport that the
> Beatles thought we all live in.

Mellow Yellow Submarine. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin,
Joshua, Jason, Erland, Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. [Or would you believe 5?] The IBM program that won a game
> against Gary Kasparov, while also playing a Carl Perkins song.

Deep Blue Suede Shoes. 4 for Bruce, Calvin, Joshua, Erland, Pete,
Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. He starred in "High Fidelity", "Kung Fu Panda", and "School of
> Rock", and in Las Vegas he is also known as 21.

Jack Blackjack. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Joshua, Jason,
Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 7. A herbicide used in the Vietnam War that was turned into a
> Netflix original series.

Agent Orange is the New Black. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Björn,
Calvin, Joshua, Pete, and Marc.

> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
> a 1984 album by Prince.

Deep Purple Rain. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Björn,
Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Erland, Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 9. Fictional character from "Treasure Island" that is the only
> thing that can kill a werewolf.

Long John Silver Bullet. 4 for Dan Blum, Peter, Björn, Calvin,
Joshua, Jason, Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

> 10. It is people, according to a 1973 Charlton Heston movie
> about the football team that won the first two Super Bowls.

Soylent Green Bay Packers. Given that "all words" had been required,
I was reluctant to accept "Soylent Green Bay", but sports teams are
often identified by city alone, so I compromised by scoring it as
almost correct. So: 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Calvin, Joshua,
Jason, Pete, and Marc. 3 for Dan Tilque.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Sci Mis
Marc Dashevsky 36 28 24 40 128
Bruce Bowler 20 32 40 36 128
"Calvin" 32 31 21 36 120
Joshua Kreitzer 40 19 20 40 119
Dan Blum 24 22 27 36 109
Pete Gayde 28 32 8 36 104
Peter Smyth 28 24 8 28 88
Jason Kreitzer 28 4 4 28 64
Dan Tilque -- -- 16 35 51
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 4 12 36
Björn Lundin 4 12 8 12 36

--
Mark Brader | "Ever wonder why they call the screen a vacuum tube?"
Toronto | -- Kent Paul Dolan
| -- Peter Moylan, paraphrasing Ernie Kovacs

Dan Tilque

Feb 5, 2016, 3:52:35 PM2/5/16
Mark Brader wrote:

>> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
>> a 1984 album by Prince.
>
> Deep Purple Rain. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Björn,
> Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Erland, Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

I said Deep Purple Haze, so I shouldn't get credit.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Feb 5, 2016, 4:03:44 PM2/5/16
Mark Brader:
>>> 8. "Smoke on the Water" was a song by this band that appeared on
>>> a 1984 album by Prince.
>>
>> Deep Purple Rain. 4 for everyone -- Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Björn,
>> Calvin, Joshua, Jason, Erland, Pete, Marc, and Dan Tilque.

Dan Tilque:
> I said Deep Purple Haze, so I shouldn't get credit.

Oops. 4 for Bruce, Dan Blum, Peter, Björn, Calvin, Joshua, Jason,
Erland, Pete, and Marc, then.

Corrected scores, if there are now no errors:

GAME 2 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 TOTALS
TOPICS-> Ent Geo Sci Mis
Marc Dashevsky 36 28 24 40 128
Bruce Bowler 20 32 40 36 128
"Calvin" 32 31 21 36 120
Joshua Kreitzer 40 19 20 40 119
Dan Blum 24 22 27 36 109
Pete Gayde 28 32 8 36 104
Peter Smyth 28 24 8 28 88
Jason Kreitzer 28 4 4 28 64
Dan Tilque -- -- 16 31 47
Erland Sommarskog 0 20 4 12 36
Björn Lundin 4 12 8 12 36

--
Mark Brader "Things are getting too standard around here.
Toronto Time to innovate!"