QFTCIBP Game 5, Rounds 7-8: good #1's and Roald Dahl

Mark Brader

Apr 15, 2018, 3:46:03 AM4/15/18
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-12,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Sports - Well-Chosen #1 Drafts

These questions will cover NHL players who were drafted #1 overall
and immediately lived up to that promise by winning the Calder
Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year. Given a brief description,
name the player.

1. Drafted in 2016 by the Toronto Maple Leafs, he is also the first
player in modern NHL history to score 4 goals in his NHL debut.

2. Drafted in 2004 by the Washington Capitals, this left-winger has
a wicked shot. Over the course of his career, he has won
a record 6 Rocket Richard Trophies as the league's leading
goal-scorer.

3. Drafted in 2013 by the Colorado Avalanche, this center also
won gold with Team Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Championship.

4. Drafted in 2014 by the Florida Panthers, this defenseman finished
his rookie season with 12 goals and 27 assists.

5. Drafted in 2007 by the Chicago Blackhawks, this right-winger
went on to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, the Art Ross Trophy,
and the Hart Memorial Trophy.

6. Drafted in 1984 by the Pittsburgh Penguins, this center went
on to become one of the best players of all time -- in spite
of a number of health problems, including Hodgkin's lymphoma.

7. Drafted in 1995 by the Ottawa Senators, this defenseman
suffered a severe eye injury while playing for the Maple Leafs.
Despite this, he eventually returned to the NHL and won the
Bill Masterton Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship, and
dedication to ice hockey.

8. Drafted in 1981 by the Winnipeg Jets, this center is now the
head coach of the Barrie Colts in the OHL.

9. Drafted in 1978 by the Minnesota North Stars, this center later
played for Montreal, and served as general manager of the
Phoenix Coyotes from 1996 to 2000.

10. Drafted in 1973 by the New York Islanders, this defenseman was
a key part of four Stanley Cup wins with the Islanders. He also
was the first defenseman to score 1,000 points over his career.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Roald Dahl's Childrens Stories

Name each of these novels or short stories.

1. A young orphan boy is forced to live with his two cruel
aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Later, he joins a ragtag group of
human-sized, talking invertebrates.

2. The main character lives underground beside a tree with his wife
and four children. He steals food from nearby farms in order to
feed his family.

3. At the start of the novel, a malnourished 11-year-old boy lives
in poverty in a tiny house with his parents and 4 grandparents.

4. A young English boy and his father, William, live in a Gypsy
caravan and fix cars for a living. They also poach pheasants.

5. A hideous, vindictive, and spiteful couple live together in
a brick house without windows. They continuously play nasty
practical jokes on each other.

6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
tall man walking in the street.

7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.

8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
Window-Cleaning Company.

9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.

10. A 5½-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
also a voracious reader.

--
Mark Brader "A clarification is not to make oneself clear.
Toronto It is to PUT oneself IN the clear."

Pete Gayde

Apr 15, 2018, 5:28:50 PM4/15/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ao-dnU8HVdGonk7HnZ2dnUU7-
IvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-12,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of Bill Psychs and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have
> been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see
> my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Sports - Well-Chosen #1 Drafts
>
> These questions will cover NHL players who were drafted #1 overall
> and immediately lived up to that promise by winning the Calder
> Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year. Given a brief description,
> name the player.
>
> 1. Drafted in 2016 by the Toronto Maple Leafs, he is also the first
> player in modern NHL history to score 4 goals in his NHL debut.

Matthews

> 2. Drafted in 2004 by the Washington Capitals, this left-winger has
> a wicked shot. Over the course of his career, he has won
> a record 6 Rocket Richard Trophies as the league's leading
> goal-scorer.

Ovechkin

> 3. Drafted in 2013 by the Colorado Avalanche, this center also
> won gold with Team Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Championship.
>
> 4. Drafted in 2014 by the Florida Panthers, this defenseman finished
> his rookie season with 12 goals and 27 assists.

Stamkos

> 5. Drafted in 2007 by the Chicago Blackhawks, this right-winger
> went on to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, the Art Ross Trophy,
> and the Hart Memorial Trophy.

Toewes

> 6. Drafted in 1984 by the Pittsburgh Penguins, this center went
> on to become one of the best players of all time -- in spite
> of a number of health problems, including Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Mario Lemieux

> 7. Drafted in 1995 by the Ottawa Senators, this defenseman
> suffered a severe eye injury while playing for the Maple Leafs.
> Despite this, he eventually returned to the NHL and won the
> Bill Masterton Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship, and
> dedication to ice hockey.
>
> 8. Drafted in 1981 by the Winnipeg Jets, this center is now the
> head coach of the Barrie Colts in the OHL.
>
> 9. Drafted in 1978 by the Minnesota North Stars, this center later
> played for Montreal, and served as general manager of the
> Phoenix Coyotes from 1996 to 2000.
>
> 10. Drafted in 1973 by the New York Islanders, this defenseman was
> a key part of four Stanley Cup wins with the Islanders. He also
> was the first defenseman to score 1,000 points over his career.

Potvin

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Roald Dahl's Childrens Stories
>
> Name each of these novels or short stories.
>
> 1. A young orphan boy is forced to live with his two cruel
> aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Later, he joins a ragtag group of
> human-sized, talking invertebrates.

James and the Giant Peach

> 2. The main character lives underground beside a tree with his wife
> and four children. He steals food from nearby farms in order to
> feed his family.

The Fantastic Mr. Fox

> 3. At the start of the novel, a malnourished 11-year-old boy lives
> in poverty in a tiny house with his parents and 4 grandparents.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4. A young English boy and his father, William, live in a Gypsy
> caravan and fix cars for a living. They also poach pheasants.
>
> 5. A hideous, vindictive, and spiteful couple live together in
> a brick house without windows. They continuously play nasty
> practical jokes on each other.
>
> 6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
> an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
> tall man walking in the street.
>
> 7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
> running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
> him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.
>
> 8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
> sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
> Window-Cleaning Company.
>
> 9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
> grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
> Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.
>
> 10. A 5½-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
> she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
> also a voracious reader.

Matilda

Pete Gayde

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 16, 2018, 2:40:25 PM4/16/18
In article <ao-dnU8HVdGonk7H...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> [...]

> practical jokes on each other.
>
> 6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
> an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
> tall man walking in the street.
>
> 7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
> running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
> him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.
>
> 8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
> sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
> Window-Cleaning Company.
>
> 9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
> grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
> Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.
>
> 10. A 5?-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
> she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
Matilda

Peter Smyth

Apr 16, 2018, 3:22:20 PM4/16/18
> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Roald Dahl's Childrens Stories
>
> Name each of these novels or short stories.
>
> 1. A young orphan boy is forced to live with his two cruel
> aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Later, he joins a ragtag group of
> human-sized, talking invertebrates.
The Magic Finger
> 2. The main character lives underground beside a tree with his wife
> and four children. He steals food from nearby farms in order to
> feed his family.
Fantastic Mr Fox
> 3. At the start of the novel, a malnourished 11-year-old boy lives
> in poverty in a tiny house with his parents and 4 grandparents.
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
> 4. A young English boy and his father, William, live in a Gypsy
> caravan and fix cars for a living. They also poach pheasants.
Danny the Champion of the World
> 5. A hideous, vindictive, and spiteful couple live together in
> a brick house without windows. They continuously play nasty
> practical jokes on each other.
The Twits
> 6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
> an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
> tall man walking in the street.
The BFG
> 7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
> running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
> him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.
James and the Giant Peach
> 8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
> sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
> Window-Cleaning Company.
The Magic Finger
> 9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
> grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
> Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.
The Witches
> 10. A 5½-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
> she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
> also a voracious reader.
Matilda

Peter Smyth

Jason Kreitzer

Apr 17, 2018, 10:14:37 PM4/17/18
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 17, 2018, 10:18:49 PM4/17/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:ao-dnU8HVdGonk7HnZ2dnUU7-
IvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Sports - Well-Chosen #1 Drafts
>
> These questions will cover NHL players who were drafted #1 overall
> and immediately lived up to that promise by winning the Calder
> Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year. Given a brief description,
> name the player.
>
> 6. Drafted in 1984 by the Pittsburgh Penguins, this center went
> on to become one of the best players of all time -- in spite
> of a number of health problems, including Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Mario Lemieux

> 10. Drafted in 1973 by the New York Islanders, this defenseman was
> a key part of four Stanley Cup wins with the Islanders. He also
> was the first defenseman to score 1,000 points over his career.

Esposito

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Roald Dahl's Childrens Stories
>
> Name each of these novels or short stories.
>
> 1. A young orphan boy is forced to live with his two cruel
> aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Later, he joins a ragtag group of
> human-sized, talking invertebrates.

"James and the Giant Peach"

> 2. The main character lives underground beside a tree with his wife
> and four children. He steals food from nearby farms in order to
> feed his family.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox"

> 3. At the start of the novel, a malnourished 11-year-old boy lives
> in poverty in a tiny house with his parents and 4 grandparents.

"Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"

> 4. A young English boy and his father, William, live in a Gypsy
> caravan and fix cars for a living. They also poach pheasants.

"Danny the Champion of the World"

> 6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
> an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
> tall man walking in the street.

"The BFG"

> 7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
> running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
> him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.

"The BFG"

> 8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
> sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
> Window-Cleaning Company.

"The BFG"

> 9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
> grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
> Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.

"The BFG"

> 10. A 5½-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
> she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
> also a voracious reader.

"Matilda"

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

Apr 18, 2018, 12:18:14 AM4/18/18
On Sunday, April 15, 2018 at 5:46:03 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Roald Dahl's Childrens Stories
>
> Name each of these novels or short stories.
>
> 1. A young orphan boy is forced to live with his two cruel
> aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Later, he joins a ragtag group of
> human-sized, talking invertebrates.
>
> 2. The main character lives underground beside a tree with his wife
> and four children. He steals food from nearby farms in order to
> feed his family.
>
> 3. At the start of the novel, a malnourished 11-year-old boy lives
> in poverty in a tiny house with his parents and 4 grandparents.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory

> 4. A young English boy and his father, William, live in a Gypsy
> caravan and fix cars for a living. They also poach pheasants.
>
> 5. A hideous, vindictive, and spiteful couple live together in
> a brick house without windows. They continuously play nasty
> practical jokes on each other.
>
> 6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
> an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
> tall man walking in the street.
>
> 7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
> running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
> him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.

George's Marvellous Medicine

> 8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
> sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
> Window-Cleaning Company.

The Great Glass Elevator

> 9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
> grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
> Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.
>
> 10. A 5½-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
> she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
> also a voracious reader.

Matilda

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Apr 18, 2018, 2:13:29 AM4/18/18
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2018-02-12,
> see my 2017-09-25 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Sports - Well-Chosen #1 Drafts

> These questions will cover NHL players who were drafted #1 overall
> and immediately lived up to that promise by winning the Calder
> Memorial Trophy for rookie of the year. Given a brief description,
> name the player.

> 1. Drafted in 2016 by the Toronto Maple Leafs, he is also the first
> player in modern NHL history to score 4 goals in his NHL debut.

Auston Matthews. 4 for Pete.

> 2. Drafted in 2004 by the Washington Capitals, this left-winger has
> a wicked shot. Over the course of his career, he has won
> a record 6 Rocket Richard Trophies as the league's leading
> goal-scorer.

Alexander Ovechkin. 4 for Pete.

> 3. Drafted in 2013 by the Colorado Avalanche, this center also
> won gold with Team Canada at the 2015 IIHF World Championship.

Nathan MacKinnon.

> 4. Drafted in 2014 by the Florida Panthers, this defenseman finished
> his rookie season with 12 goals and 27 assists.

Aaron Ekblad.

> 5. Drafted in 2007 by the Chicago Blackhawks, this right-winger
> went on to win the Conn Smythe Trophy, the Art Ross Trophy,
> and the Hart Memorial Trophy.

Patrick Kane.

> 6. Drafted in 1984 by the Pittsburgh Penguins, this center went
> on to become one of the best players of all time -- in spite
> of a number of health problems, including Hodgkin's lymphoma.

Mario Lemieux. 4 for Pete, Marc, and Joshua.

> 7. Drafted in 1995 by the Ottawa Senators, this defenseman
> suffered a severe eye injury while playing for the Maple Leafs.
> Despite this, he eventually returned to the NHL and won the
> Bill Masterton Trophy for perseverance, sportsmanship, and
> dedication to ice hockey.

Bryan Berard.

> 8. Drafted in 1981 by the Winnipeg Jets, this center is now the
> head coach of the Barrie Colts in the OHL.

Dale Hawerchuk.

> 9. Drafted in 1978 by the Minnesota North Stars, this center later
> played for Montreal, and served as general manager of the
> Phoenix Coyotes from 1996 to 2000.

Bobby Smith.

> 10. Drafted in 1973 by the New York Islanders, this defenseman was
> a key part of four Stanley Cup wins with the Islanders. He also
> was the first defenseman to score 1,000 points over his career.

Denis Potvin. 4 for Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Roald Dahl's Childrens Stories

Sorry about the missing apostrophe.

> Name each of these novels or short stories.

This was the hardest round in the original game.

> 1. A young orphan boy is forced to live with his two cruel
> aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Later, he joins a ragtag group of
> human-sized, talking invertebrates.

"James and the Giant Peach". 4 for Pete, Marc, and Joshua.

> 2. The main character lives underground beside a tree with his wife
> and four children. He steals food from nearby farms in order to
> feed his family.

"Fantastic Mr. Fox". 4 for Pete, Peter, and Joshua.

> 3. At the start of the novel, a malnourished 11-year-old boy lives
> in poverty in a tiny house with his parents and 4 grandparents.

"Charlie and the Chocolate factory". 4 for everyone -- Pete, Marc,
Peter, Jason, Joshua, and Calvin.

> 4. A young English boy and his father, William, live in a Gypsy
> caravan and fix cars for a living. They also poach pheasants.

"Danny, the Champion of the World". 4 for Peter and Joshua.

> 5. A hideous, vindictive, and spiteful couple live together in
> a brick house without windows. They continuously play nasty
> practical jokes on each other.

"The Twits". 4 for Peter.

> 6. The book starts with a young girl named Sophie lying in bed in
> an orphanage. Unable to sleep, she catches a glimpse of a very
> tall man walking in the street.

"The BFG". ("The Big Friendly Giant" was acceptable.) 4 for Peter
and Joshua.

> 7. While an 8-year-old boy's parents, Mr. and Mrs. Kranky, are out
> running errands, his grandmother bosses him around and bullies
> him. Later in the story, she grows to a tremendous size.

"George's Marvellous Medicine". 4 for Calvin.

> 8. Billy is a young boy who has always dreamed of owning a
> sweet shop. He befriends the inhuman workers of the Ladderless
> Window-Cleaning Company.

"The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me".

> 9. A 7-year-old British boy goes to live with his Norwegian
> grandmother after his parents are killed in a car accident.
> Later in the novel, he is transformed into a mouse.

"The Witches". 4 for Peter.

> 10. A 5½-year-old girl lives a small Buckinghamshire village where
> she is often ill-treated or neglected by her parents. She is
> also a voracious reader.

"Matilda". 4 for Pete, Marc, Peter, Joshua, and Calvin.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Geo His Ent Sci Spo Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 26 36 20 4 24 118
Dan Blum 25 28 20 20 -- -- 93
Peter Smyth 24 12 0 16 0 28 80
Dan Tilque 28 16 12 16 -- -- 72
Pete Gayde 23 13 4 12 16 16 68
Marc Dashevsky 20 20 -- -- 4 12 56
Erland Sommarskog 27 16 -- -- -- -- 43
Jason Kreitzer -- -- 20 0 0 4 24
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- 0 12 12

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Keep out of eyes--if this occurs, rinse with water.
m...@vex.net | (Directions seen on shampoo bottle)