MSBKO7 Round 1 repost

Mark Brader

Apr 24, 2018, 3:45:08 PM4/24/18
Some hours ago I started knockout contest MSBKO7, but I once again
I managed to mispost within an existing thread instead of starting
a new one. Sorry about that.

Here is a repeat, also correcting a dumb typo. I have extended the
maximum time deadline, but as explained below, I don't think it will
matter. I will accept entries posted in either thread or, in case
of technical difficulties, by email.

Here is another knockout contest, as originated in 2012 by the
person posting as "Calvin". This one is on the theme of geography,
and specifically, *comparisons* in geography.

Naturally, all questions are to be answered based on your own
knowledge without using any sort of assistance in obtaining
information. However, you *are* allowed aids to calculation.

Most questions will ask you for the ratio between two numbers
representing the same statistic for two different places. For
example, "The area of the Borough of Manhattan is how many times
the area of the Borough of Queens?" I will always name the two
places in alphabetical order, as here. In thie case, if you
think Manhattan is the larger borough in area, you will give a
number greater than 1. If you think Queens is larger, your number
will be less than 1.

Your answer, in turn, will be compared to other entrants based on the
ratio between the larger and the smaller of two numbers, your answer
and the correct answer. For example, if Manhattan is actually
0.2 times the area of Queens and you said it is 0.05 times, you
are too small by a ratio of 0.2/0.05 = 4. If someone else said
it is 0.6 times, they are too large by a ratio of 0.6/0.2 = 3.
They scored better than you.

There will be a few questions that will not ask for a ratio, and
then the comparison with other answers may not use ratios. I will
specify in that case.

For Round 1, I'll accept entries for 6 days from the moment
of posting (that is, until about 3:45 pm EDT on Monday, April 30)
*OR* until there is a period of 48 hours without a new entry --
*WHICHEVER COMES FIRST*! (Based on previous contests, in practice
I think the 48-hour deadline is more likely to come first.)

After the first round, this becomes a closed contest -- only those
who have survived the earlier rounds may continue to enter.

For the later rounds you will have a maximum of 4 days to enter,
though I would prefer, and in practice expect, a faster pace.

On each round, the person who gave the worst answer is eliminated.
In case of a tie for farthest, among those entrants the last to
enter is eliminated -- unless everyone gets the exact correct
answer, in which case everyone survives and there will be an
extra round.

This continues until there is a single winner.

Please post your answers in the thread as a followup to the question
posting; but if you have technical difficulties, I will also accept
answers by email.

Have fun and let's have lots of entries so that there are lots
of rounds.

1. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this question
was posted, the percentage of the population of Haiti who are
over 65 is how many times the corresponding percentage for Japan?

--
Mark Brader | But I think we can do better next time. (Where the
Toronto | word "we" refers to [those] who do the hard work while

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 24, 2018, 9:44:26 PM4/24/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:AemdnWvrNM6jFELHnZ2dnUU7-
R_N...@giganews.com:

> Most questions will ask you for the ratio between two numbers
> representing the same statistic for two different places. For
> example, "The area of the Borough of Manhattan is how many times
> the area of the Borough of Queens?" I will always name the two
> places in alphabetical order, as here. In thie case, if you
> think Manhattan is the larger borough in area, you will give a
> number greater than 1. If you think Queens is larger, your number
> will be less than 1.
>
> Your answer, in turn, will be compared to other entrants based on the
> ratio between the larger and the smaller of two numbers, your answer
> and the correct answer. For example, if Manhattan is actually
> 0.2 times the area of Queens and you said it is 0.05 times, you
> are too small by a ratio of 0.2/0.05 = 4. If someone else said
> it is 0.6 times, they are too large by a ratio of 0.6/0.2 = 3.
> They scored better than you.
>

> On each round, the person who gave the worst answer is eliminated.
> In case of a tie for farthest, among those entrants the last to
> enter is eliminated -- unless everyone gets the exact correct
> answer, in which case everyone survives and there will be an
> extra round.
>
> This continues until there is a single winner.
>

> Please post your answers in the thread as a followup to the question
> posting; but if you have technical difficulties, I will also accept
> answers by email.
>
> Have fun and let's have lots of entries so that there are lots
> of rounds.
>

> 1. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this question
> was posted, the percentage of the population of Haiti who are
> over 65 is how many times the corresponding percentage for Japan?

0.2

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

Apr 25, 2018, 1:06:13 AM4/25/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this question
> was posted, the percentage of the population of Haiti who are
> over 65 is how many times the corresponding percentage for Japan?

.2

--
Dan Tilque

Joe

Apr 25, 2018, 2:40:10 PM4/25/18
On 2018-04-24 19:45:02 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> 1. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this question
> was posted, the percentage of the population of Haiti who are
> over 65 is how many times the corresponding percentage for Japan?

0.2

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Calvin

Apr 26, 2018, 9:46:12 PM4/26/18
On Wednesday, April 25, 2018 at 5:45:08 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> 1. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this question
> was posted, the percentage of the population of Haiti who are
> over 65 is how many times the corresponding percentage for Japan?

.11

Mark Brader

Apr 28, 2018, 10:08:17 PM4/28/18
Mark Brader:
> Here is another knockout contest, as originated in 2012 by the
> person posting as "Calvin". This one is on the theme of geography,
> and specifically, *comparisons* in geography.

I think I'll repeat the full rules, just one more time.

> Naturally, all questions are to be answered based on your own
> knowledge without using any sort of assistance in obtaining
> information. However, you *are* allowed aids to calculation.

> Most questions will ask you for the ratio between two numbers
> representing the same statistic for two different places. For
> example, "The area of the Borough of Manhattan is how many times
> the area of the Borough of Queens?" I will always name the two
> places in alphabetical order, as here. In thie case, if you
> think Manhattan is the larger borough in area, you will give a
> number greater than 1. If you think Queens is larger, your number
> will be less than 1.
>
> Your answer, in turn, will be compared to other entrants based on the
> ratio between the larger and the smaller of two numbers, your answer
> and the correct answer. For example, if Manhattan is actually
> 0.2 times the area of Queens and you said it is 0.05 times, you
> are too small by a ratio of 0.2/0.05 = 4. If someone else said
> it is 0.6 times, they are too large by a ratio of 0.6/0.2 = 3.
> They scored better than you.

By the way, I was just using 0.2 as an example there, but on
looking up the areas I find that it's actually pretty close.
Manhattan actually is about 0.21 times that of Queens.

> There will be a few questions that will not ask for a ratio, and
> then the comparison with other answers may not use ratios. I will
> specify in that case.

One thing I neglected to talk about there is significant digits.
You will see below the numbers 4.15% and 27.87%. Because they are
given in the Factbook to only 3 and 4 significant digits respectively,
the result of computing 4.15%/27.87% cannot possibly be meaningful
to more than 3 significant digits.

However, for contest purposes *I am treating all numbers taken
from the Factbook and other named sources as if they were known to
be exact*. When I show the a "correct" answer, if it's a ratio I'll
report it to 7 significant digits.

> For Round 1, I'll accept entries for 6 days from the moment
> of posting (that is, until about 3:45 pm EDT on Monday, April 30)
> *OR* until there is a period of 48 hours without a new entry --
> *WHICHEVER COMES FIRST*! (Based on previous contests, in practice
> I think the 48-hour deadline is more likely to come first.)
>
> After the first round, this becomes a closed contest -- only those
> who have survived the earlier rounds may continue to enter.

It has now been 48 hours since Calvin's entry, so this contest is
closed to additional entrants. There were 10 entrants in Round 1,
so, barring surprises, there will be 9 rounds altogether.

> 1. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this question
> was posted, the percentage of the population of Haiti who are
> over 65 is how many times the corresponding percentage for Japan?

Haiti 4.15%
Japan 27.87%
Answer is 0.1489056

Bruce Bowler 0.1 /1.489
Calvin .11 /1.354

** CORRECT ** 0.1489056

Stephen Perry 0.15 *1.0073
Peter Smyth 0.19 *1.276
John Masters 0.2 *1.343
Joshua Kreitzer 0.2 *1.343
Dan Tilque .2 *1.343
Pete Gayde 0.20 *1.343
Dan Blum 0.3 *2.015
Erland Sommarskog 0.78 *5.238

Erland Sommarskog is eliminated.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Ah, determinism (likewise, forgetfulness) reigns."
m...@vex.net | --Steve Summit

Mark Brader

Apr 28, 2018, 10:11:34 PM4/28/18
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
if you need that long.

2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
for Montenegro?

--
Mark Brader 1. remove ball from package. 2. place in hand.
m...@vex.net 3. call dog by name. 4. throw ball.

Dan Tilque

Apr 28, 2018, 11:03:20 PM4/28/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

2.9

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

Apr 28, 2018, 11:53:43 PM4/28/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

3.7

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joe

Apr 29, 2018, 3:15:49 AM4/29/18
On 2018-04-29 02:11:28 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
> if you need that long.
>
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

1.2

Peter Smyth

Apr 29, 2018, 11:48:55 AM4/29/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
> if you need that long.
>
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

5.2

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

Apr 29, 2018, 11:55:46 AM4/29/18
On Sat, 28 Apr 2018 21:11:28 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
> if you need that long.
>
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

4

swp

Apr 29, 2018, 5:13:19 PM4/29/18
On Saturday, April 28, 2018 at 10:11:34 PM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

0.75

swp

Calvin

Apr 29, 2018, 8:34:52 PM4/29/18
On Sunday, April 29, 2018 at 12:11:34 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
> if you need that long.
>
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

7.77

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

Apr 30, 2018, 1:28:27 AM4/30/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:M6-dndkPBOpNtHjHnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
> if you need that long.
>
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

10

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Pete Gayde

Apr 30, 2018, 9:34:57 AM4/30/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:M6-dndkPBOpNtHjHnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules. You have 4 days to post your answers,
> if you need that long.
>
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

40

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Apr 30, 2018, 3:07:14 PM4/30/18
Mark Brader:
> 2. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *per-capita
> gross domestic product* of Monaco, on a purchasing power
> parity basis, was how many times the corresponding statistic
> for Montenegro?

Monaco $115,700 US (in 2015)
Montenegro $17,400 US (in 2017)
Answer is 6.649425

This was interesting: the first 6 entrants all guessed low and the
last 3 all guessed high.

Stephen Perry 0.75 /8.866
John Masters 1.2 /5.541
Dan Tilque 2.9 /2.293
Dan Blum 3.7 /1.797
Bruce Bowler 4 /1.662
Peter Smyth 5.2 /1.279

** CORRECT ** 6.649425

Calvin 7.77 *1.168
Joshua Kreitzer 10 *1.504
Pete Gayde 40 *6.015

Stephen Perry is eliminated!!
--
Mark Brader | "The net exists to be used. It is a powerful tool
m...@vex.net | and as long as people treat it as a tool and not a toy

Mark Brader

Apr 30, 2018, 3:10:06 PM4/30/18
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
for full rules.

3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
corresponding statistic for the United States?

(When I started the contest I drafted a list of 10 questions,
5 pairs each with 2 questions based on similar statistics, or the
same statistic for different types of entity. I then randomized
the whole list and the two GDP-related questions happened to
come together.)
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "It's a massive 'Get out of Euclid free' card."
m...@vex.net | --Matt Parker

Dan Tilque

Apr 30, 2018, 3:26:31 PM4/30/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?

0.26

--
Dan Tilque

Joe

Apr 30, 2018, 3:32:51 PM4/30/18
On 2018-04-30 19:10:00 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
> for full rules.
>
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?
>
> (When I started the contest I drafted a list of 10 questions,
> 5 pairs each with 2 questions based on similar statistics, or the
> same statistic for different types of entity. I then randomized
> the whole list and the two GDP-related questions happened to
> come together.)

0.6

Dan Blum

Apr 30, 2018, 4:04:00 PM4/30/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?

0.33

Bruce Bowler

Apr 30, 2018, 4:15:25 PM4/30/18
On Mon, 30 Apr 2018 14:10:00 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
> for full rules.
>
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?
>
> (When I started the contest I drafted a list of 10 questions,
> 5 pairs each with 2 questions based on similar statistics, or the
> same statistic for different types of entity. I then randomized
> the whole list and the two GDP-related questions happened to
> come together.)

0.25

Peter Smyth

Apr 30, 2018, 7:17:01 PM4/30/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
> for full rules.
>
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?

0.91

Peter Smyth

Pete Gayde

May 1, 2018, 5:41:45 PM5/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:zpidnXekY42V93rHnZ2dnUU7-
ePN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
> for full rules.
>
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?
>
> (When I started the contest I drafted a list of 10 questions,
> 5 pairs each with 2 questions based on similar statistics, or the
> same statistic for different types of entity. I then randomized
> the whole list and the two GDP-related questions happened to
> come together.)

0.6

Pete Gayde

Calvin

May 1, 2018, 9:02:02 PM5/1/18
On Tuesday, May 1, 2018 at 5:10:06 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
> for full rules.
>
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?

.28

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

May 1, 2018, 11:36:21 PM5/1/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:zpidnXekY42V93rHnZ2dnUU7-
ePN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete
> Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Peter Smyth, Dan Tilque,
> and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier postings
> for full rules.
>
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?
>
> (When I started the contest I drafted a list of 10 questions,
> 5 pairs each with 2 questions based on similar statistics, or the
> same statistic for different types of entity. I then randomized
> the whole list and the two GDP-related questions happened to
> come together.)

0.14

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

May 2, 2018, 5:36:31 AM5/2/18
Mark Brader:
> 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> corresponding statistic for the United States?

Germany $4,150,000,000,000 US
US $19,360,000,000,000 US
Answer is 0.2143595

This time the first 7 entrants guessed high and the last one
guessed low!

Joshua Kreitzer 0.14 /1.531

** CORRECT ** 0.2143595

Bruce Bowler 0.25 *1.166
Dan Tilque 0.26 *1.213
Calvin .28 *1.306
Dan Blum 0.33 *1.539
John Masters 0.6 *2.799
Pete Gayde 0.6 *2.799
Peter Smyth 0.91 *4.245

Peter Smyth is eliminated.
--
Mark Brader | ...I'm comfortably ensconced with a warm newsgroup
Toronto | so I'm asking the assembled multitude here...

Mark Brader

May 2, 2018, 5:38:04 AM5/2/18
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.

4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
of the Pacific?

Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
not by ratio.

--
Mark Brader "It's okay for us to love our country,
Toronto but we ought to spend most of our time

Joshua Kreitzer

May 2, 2018, 8:40:20 AM5/2/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:XfednVKFcKRqG3THnZ2dnUU7-
YPN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
> as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?
>
> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

125 degrees

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

May 2, 2018, 9:18:07 AM5/2/18
On Wed, 02 May 2018 04:37:59 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
> as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?
>
> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

180 degrees

Dan Blum

May 2, 2018, 10:01:37 AM5/2/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?

> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

170

Peter Smyth

May 2, 2018, 11:36:50 AM5/2/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> Mark Brader:
> > 3. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> > World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *gross
> > domestic product* (total this time, not per capita) of Germany,
> > on a purchasing power parity basis, was how many times the
> > corresponding statistic for the United States?
>
> Germany $4,150,000,000,000 US
> US $19,360,000,000,000 US
> Answer is 0.2143595
>
> This time the first 7 entrants guessed high and the last one
> guessed low!
>
> Joshua Kreitzer 0.14 /1.531
>
> ** CORRECT ** 0.2143595
>
> Bruce Bowler 0.25 *1.166
> Dan Tilque 0.26 *1.213
> Calvin .28 *1.306
> Dan Blum 0.33 *1.539
> John Masters 0.6 *2.799
> Pete Gayde 0.6 *2.799
> Peter Smyth 0.91 *4.245
>
> Peter Smyth is eliminated.

Note to self: try actually reading the question next time rather than answering the question that was asked in the previous round!

Peter Smyth

Joe

May 2, 2018, 2:18:22 PM5/2/18
On 2018-05-02 09:37:59 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
> as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?
>
> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

137

Dan Tilque

May 2, 2018, 2:22:22 PM5/2/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
> as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?
>
> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

246 degrees

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

May 2, 2018, 7:49:11 PM5/2/18
On Wednesday, May 2, 2018 at 7:38:04 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
> as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?

181.18 degrees

cheers,
calvin

Pete Gayde

May 3, 2018, 9:33:16 AM5/3/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:XfednVKFcKRqG3THnZ2dnUU7-
YPN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde,
> Joshua Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting
> as "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?
>
> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

100

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

May 3, 2018, 4:20:03 PM5/3/18
Mark Brader:
> 4. The easternmost point or arm of the Pacific Ocean may reasonably
> be taken as being on the Chilean coast near the mouth of the
> Rio Loa, about 50 miles north of Tocopilla; the westernmost,
> as being on the Gulf of Thailand coast near Tawanchai Beach,
> about 50 miles north of Surat Thani. Comparing the longitudes
> of these two points, what is the *maximum longitudinal extent*
> of the Pacific?
>
> Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable,
> not degrees and minutes or other units. Note: Answers will
> be compared by absolute difference from the correct answer,
> not by ratio.

Chile 70.0560 W
Thailand 99.1382 E
Answer is 190.8058

Pete Gayde 100 -47.6%
Joshua Kreitzer 125 -34.5%
John Masters 137 -28.2%
Dan Blum 170 -10.9%
Bruce Bowler 180 -5.7%
Calvin 181.18 -5.0%

** CORRECT ** 190.8058

Dan Tilque 246 +28.9%

Pete Gayde is eliminated.

--
Mark Brader | "What can be more palpably absurd than the prospect held out
Toronto | of locomotives travelling twice as fast as stagecoaches?"

Mark Brader

May 3, 2018, 4:21:21 PM5/3/18
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Joshua
Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
"Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.

5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
Vatican City?

--
Mark Brader "I am Sam. Sam I am.
Toronto I do not like trolls, flames, or spam."

Joe

May 3, 2018, 4:33:36 PM5/3/18
On 2018-05-03 20:21:16 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Joshua
> Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
> "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
> began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
> Vatican City?

I can't begin to imagine. Let's say 2,000,000 give or take 20,000,000

Mark Brader

May 3, 2018, 4:40:22 PM5/3/18
John Masters:
> I can't begin to imagine. Let's say 2,000,000 give or take 20,000,000

I will score this as an answer of 2,000,000.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto, m...@vex.net
Without the threat of frequent new releases of the system to

Dan Tilque

May 3, 2018, 5:22:38 PM5/3/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
> began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
> Vatican City?

21,500,000

--
Dan Tilque

Dan Blum

May 3, 2018, 6:37:08 PM5/3/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
> began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
> Vatican City?

13 million

Joshua Kreitzer

May 4, 2018, 8:24:08 AM5/4/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:O-GdnZNCZdeh8nbHnZ2dnUU7-
UHN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Joshua
> Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
> "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
> began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
> Vatican City?

8,000,000

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Bruce Bowler

May 4, 2018, 10:50:48 AM5/4/18
On Thu, 03 May 2018 15:21:16 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Joshua
> Kreitzer, John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as
> "Calvin". See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
> began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
> Vatican City?

10^6

Calvin

May 5, 2018, 12:28:36 AM5/5/18
40 million

Calvin

Mark Brader

May 5, 2018, 12:43:38 AM5/5/18
Mark Brader:
> 5. According to the CIA World Factbook as of when this contest
> began, the *land area* of Russia is how many times that of the
> Vatican City?

Russia 16,377,742 km²
Vatican 0.44 km²
Answer is 37,222,140

Bruce Bowler 1,000,000 /37.22
John Masters 2,000,000 /18.61
Joshua Kreitzer 8,000,000 /4.653
Dan Blum 13,000,000 /2.863
Dan Tilque 21,500,000 /1.731

** CORRECT ** 37,222,140

Calvin 40,000,000 *1.0746

Bruce Bowler is eliminated.

In old money, the land area of the Vatican is about 110 acres or
4,700,000 square feet. (I haven't found any source that gives it
more accurately than to 2 significant digits.) The whole country
is a UNESCO World Heritage Site!

--
Mark Brader | "Go have a life -- but I'm telling you right now,
Toronto | you will be bored sick. Life is overrated."

Mark Brader

May 5, 2018, 12:44:41 AM5/5/18
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer,
John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
See the earlier postings for full rules.

6. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
www.population.de as of when this contest began, the most
populous metropolitan area (or "agglomeration", as the site
calls it) in the world is now that of Guangzhou (Canton) --
and this *metropolitan-area population* is how many times that
of Mexico City, the largest in the Americas?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "These days UNIX isn't very UNIX-like"
m...@vex.net -- Doug Gwyn

Mark Brader

May 5, 2018, 12:45:40 AM5/5/18
[Reposting with correct subject line.]

Dan Blum

May 5, 2018, 12:51:17 AM5/5/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 6. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the most
> populous metropolitan area (or "agglomeration", as the site
> calls it) in the world is now that of Guangzhou (Canton) --
> and this *metropolitan-area population* is how many times that
> of Mexico City, the largest in the Americas?

1.6

Joe

May 5, 2018, 12:54:45 AM5/5/18
On 2018-05-05 04:44:35 +0000, Mark Brader said:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer,
> John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
> See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 6. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the most
> populous metropolitan area (or "agglomeration", as the site
> calls it) in the world is now that of Guangzhou (Canton) --
> and this *metropolitan-area population* is how many times that
> of Mexico City, the largest in the Americas?

7.65

Joshua Kreitzer

May 5, 2018, 12:10:31 PM5/5/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:WeqdnYLKVYMuq3DHnZ2dnUU7-
KPN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer,
> John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
> See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 6. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the most
> populous metropolitan area (or "agglomeration", as the site
> calls it) in the world is now that of Guangzhou (Canton) --
> and this *metropolitan-area population* is how many times that
> of Mexico City, the largest in the Americas?

2.7

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Tilque

May 6, 2018, 2:30:44 PM5/6/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer,
> John Masters, Dan Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
> See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 6. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the most
> populous metropolitan area (or "agglomeration", as the site
> calls it) in the world is now that of Guangzhou (Canton) --
> and this *metropolitan-area population* is how many times that
> of Mexico City, the largest in the Americas?

2.8

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

May 6, 2018, 4:17:29 PM5/6/18
1.555

Cheers
Calvin

Mark Brader

May 6, 2018, 6:20:41 PM5/6/18
Mark Brader:
> 6. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the most
> populous metropolitan area (or "agglomeration", as the site
> calls it) in the world is now that of Guangzhou (Canton) --
> and this *metropolitan-area population* is how many times that
> of Mexico City, the largest in the Americas?

Guangzhou 45,600,000
Mexico City 22,600,000
Answer is 2.017699

Calvin 1.555 /1.297
Dan Blum 1.6 /1.261

** CORRECT ** 2.017699

Joshua Kreitzer 2.7 *1.338
Dan Tilque 2.8 *1.388
John Masters 7.65 *3.791

John Masters is eliminated.

--
Mark Brader | "...what the customer wants doesn't matter;
Toronto | the only thing that matters is what the Marketeer
| or can be made to think he wants." --Steve Summit

Mark Brader

May 6, 2018, 6:21:55 PM5/6/18
This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer, Dan
Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
postings for full rules.

7. According to Wikipedia as of when this contest began, from
Aguila Islet (about 60 miles SW of Cape Horn, in the Diego
Ramirez Islands) to the triple border point with Peru and
Bolivia, what is the *maximum latitudinal extent* of Chile?

(Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable, not
degrees and minutes or other units. Answers will be compared
by absolute difference from the correct answer, not be ratio.)

--
Mark Brader | "I thought at first that you had done something clever,
Toronto | but I see that there was nothing in it, after all."
| in explaining." --Doyle

Dan Blum

May 6, 2018, 8:58:46 PM5/6/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 7. According to Wikipedia as of when this contest began, from
> Aguila Islet (about 60 miles SW of Cape Horn, in the Diego
> Ramirez Islands) to the triple border point with Peru and
> Bolivia, what is the *maximum latitudinal extent* of Chile?

55

Joshua Kreitzer

May 7, 2018, 1:09:47 AM5/7/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:bOKdnThT069j4nLHnZ2dnUU7-
YfN...@giganews.com:

> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules.
>
> 7. According to Wikipedia as of when this contest began, from
> Aguila Islet (about 60 miles SW of Cape Horn, in the Diego
> Ramirez Islands) to the triple border point with Peru and
> Bolivia, what is the *maximum latitudinal extent* of Chile?
>
> (Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable, not
> degrees and minutes or other units. Answers will be compared
> by absolute difference from the correct answer, not be ratio.)

35 degrees

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

May 7, 2018, 5:47:07 PM5/7/18
On Monday, May 7, 2018 at 8:21:55 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules.
>
> 7. According to Wikipedia as of when this contest began, from
> Aguila Islet (about 60 miles SW of Cape Horn, in the Diego
> Ramirez Islands) to the triple border point with Peru and
> Bolivia, what is the *maximum latitudinal extent* of Chile?
>
> (Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable, not
> degrees and minutes or other units. Answers will be compared
> by absolute difference from the correct answer, not be ratio.)

33.333

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

May 8, 2018, 1:14:51 AM5/8/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> This contest is now open only to Dan Blum, Joshua Kreitzer, Dan
> Tilque, and the entrant posting as "Calvin". See the earlier
> postings for full rules.
>
> 7. According to Wikipedia as of when this contest began, from
> Aguila Islet (about 60 miles SW of Cape Horn, in the Diego
> Ramirez Islands) to the triple border point with Peru and
> Bolivia, what is the *maximum latitudinal extent* of Chile?
>
> (Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable, not
> degrees and minutes or other units. Answers will be compared
> by absolute difference from the correct answer, not be ratio.)

28.5 degrees

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 8, 2018, 1:58:55 AM5/8/18
Mark Brader:
> 7. According to Wikipedia as of when this contest began, from
> Aguila Islet (about 60 miles SW of Cape Horn, in the Diego
> Ramirez Islands) to the triple border point with Peru and
> Bolivia, what is the *maximum latitudinal extent* of Chile?
>
> (Answer in degrees, with decimal fractions if applicable, not
> degrees and minutes or other units. Answers will be compared
> by absolute difference from the correct answer, not be ratio.)

North 17.4983 S
South 56.5378 S
Answer is 39.0395

Dan Tilque 28.5 -27.0%
Calvin 33.333 -14.6%
Joshua Kreitzer 35 -10.3%

** CORRECT ** 39.0395

Dan Blum 55 +40.9%

Dan Blum is eliminated.

--
Mark Brader "You have a truly warped mind.
Toronto I admire that in a person."

Mark Brader

May 8, 2018, 2:00:24 AM5/8/18
And then there were three. This contest is now open only to
Dan Tilque, Joshua Kreitzer, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
See the earlier postings for full rules.

8. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *percentage*
of the population of Afghanistan *that is urban* is how many
times the corresponding percentage for Canada?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Perhaps I should have done the posting and sleeping
m...@vex.net | in the other order." --Peter Duncanson

Dan Tilque

May 8, 2018, 2:22:33 AM5/8/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> And then there were three. This contest is now open only to
> Dan Tilque, Joshua Kreitzer, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
> See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 8. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *percentage*
> of the population of Afghanistan *that is urban* is how many
> times the corresponding percentage for Canada?

.34

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

May 8, 2018, 8:25:10 PM5/8/18
On Tuesday, May 8, 2018 at 4:00:24 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
> And then there were three. This contest is now open only to
> Dan Tilque, Joshua Kreitzer, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
> See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 8. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *percentage*
> of the population of Afghanistan *that is urban* is how many
> times the corresponding percentage for Canada?

.135

cheers,
calvin

Joshua Kreitzer

May 8, 2018, 9:10:39 PM5/8/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:waidnb_ckupvoWzHnZ2dnUU7-
L_N...@giganews.com:

> And then there were three. This contest is now open only to
> Dan Tilque, Joshua Kreitzer, and the entrant posting as "Calvin".
> See the earlier postings for full rules.
>
> 8. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *percentage*
> of the population of Afghanistan *that is urban* is how many
> times the corresponding percentage for Canada?

0.44

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

May 8, 2018, 10:46:38 PM5/8/18
Mark Brader:
> 8. According to latest numbers given for each country in the CIA
> World Factbook as of when this contest began, the *percentage*
> of the population of Afghanistan *that is urban* is how many
> times the corresponding percentage for Canada?

Afghanistan 27.6%
Canada 82.2%
Answer is 0.3357664

Calvin .135 /2.487

** CORRECT ** 0.3357664

Dan Tilque .34 *1.0126
Joshua Kreitzer 0.44 *1.310

Calvin is eliminated.

Reasonable guesses all around, though.
--
Mark Brader "Never re-invent the wheel unnecessarily;
Toronto yours may have corners."

Mark Brader

May 8, 2018, 10:47:49 PM5/8/18
Finally, this contest is now open only to Dan Tilque and Joshua
Kreitzer.

9. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
www.population.de as of when this contest began, the
*population* of California is how many times that of Canada?
--
Mark Brader | It's practically impossible to keep two separate databases
Toronto | in step for any length of time. That's true even when one

Dan Tilque

May 8, 2018, 11:33:40 PM5/8/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> Finally, this contest is now open only to Dan Tilque and Joshua
> Kreitzer.
>
> 9. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the
> *population* of California is how many times that of Canada?

1.65

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

May 9, 2018, 12:40:03 AM5/9/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:k5adnWlLBqrN_G_HnZ2dnUU7-
WvN...@giganews.com:

> Finally, this contest is now open only to Dan Tilque and Joshua
> Kreitzer.
>
> 9. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the
> *population* of California is how many times that of Canada?

1.1

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Mark Brader

May 9, 2018, 1:30:36 AM5/9/18
Mark Brader:
> 9. According to the latest numbers given for each place on
> www.population.de as of when this contest began, the
> *population* of California is how many times that of Canada?

California 39,536,653
Canada 36,708,083
Answer is 1.077056

** CORRECT ** 1.077056

Joshua Kreitzer 1.1 *1.0213
Dan Tilque 1.65 *1.532

JOSHUA KREITZER wins! Ta-daah!

Looking back at 8 earlier rounds, I was interested to see that this
is only the second time in this contest that Joshua came closest to
the correct result (whereas Calvin, who lasted until round 8, had the
best result on 3 out of 7 earlier rounds).

But, as in the old joke, in this contest "I don't have to outrun the
bear -- I only have to outrun you". It's not about having the best
answer, until the end; it's about not having the worst answer.

So, hearty congratulations to Joshua for outrunning the worst answer
every time!
--
Mark Brader | "If there had been government -- and dare I say industrial?
Toronto | -- research establishments in the Stone Age, by now we
| would have invented steel." -- Arthur C. Clarke

Mark Brader

May 9, 2018, 1:37:06 AM5/9/18
As I said early in MSBKO7, I drafted 10 questions before the contest
started. This one came out last in the randomization, and since there
were only 10 entrants, it wasn't used. But as long as I have it ready
to go, I'd like to offer it to anyone who entered MSBKO7 to answer.

That is, Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John
Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
and the person posting as "Calvin" are invited to answer this one --
"for fun, but for no points", as I say in QFTCI.

I'll reveal the answer in 3 days from the time of posting or when all
10 of them have answered.

10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
*land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
Virginia?

(I specified the unit because of the rule that I'm treating the numbers
given in the indicated source as if they were exact, so the areas given
in one unit will not be exactly equal to those in another. Of course
I do not expect this issue to matter in practice.)
--
Mark Brader | You obviously aren't aware of the new definition for "all".
Toronto | Do try to keep up.

Erland Sommarskog

May 9, 2018, 2:48:18 AM5/9/18
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?

0.92

Peter Smyth

May 9, 2018, 3:21:09 AM5/9/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> As I said early in MSBKO7, I drafted 10 questions before the contest
> started. This one came out last in the randomization, and since there
> were only 10 entrants, it wasn't used. But as long as I have it ready
> to go, I'd like to offer it to anyone who entered MSBKO7 to answer.
>
> That is, Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John
> Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the person posting as "Calvin" are invited to answer this one --
> "for fun, but for no points", as I say in QFTCI.
>
> I'll reveal the answer in 3 days from the time of posting or when all
> 10 of them have answered.
>
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?

1.00

Peter Smyth

Bruce Bowler

May 9, 2018, 9:17:16 AM5/9/18
On Wed, 09 May 2018 00:37:01 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> As I said early in MSBKO7, I drafted 10 questions before the contest
> started. This one came out last in the randomization, and since there
> were only 10 entrants, it wasn't used. But as long as I have it ready
> to go, I'd like to offer it to anyone who entered MSBKO7 to answer.
>
> That is, Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John
> Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the person posting as "Calvin" are invited to answer this one --
> "for fun, but for no points", as I say in QFTCI.
>
> I'll reveal the answer in 3 days from the time of posting or when all
> 10 of them have answered.
>
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?
>
> (I specified the unit because of the rule that I'm treating the numbers
> given in the indicated source as if they were exact, so the areas given
> in one unit will not be exactly equal to those in another. Of course
> I do not expect this issue to matter in practice.)

0.97

Dan Blum

May 9, 2018, 9:46:12 AM5/9/18
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km? is how many times that of
> Virginia?

0.8

Pete Gayde

May 9, 2018, 12:04:09 PM5/9/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Zr6dnanXHNVgFW_HnZ2dnUU7-
WnN...@giganews.com:

> As I said early in MSBKO7, I drafted 10 questions before the contest
> started. This one came out last in the randomization, and since there
> were only 10 entrants, it wasn't used. But as long as I have it ready
> to go, I'd like to offer it to anyone who entered MSBKO7 to answer.
>
> That is, Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John
> Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the person posting as "Calvin" are invited to answer this one --
> "for fun, but for no points", as I say in QFTCI.
>
> I'll reveal the answer in 3 days from the time of posting or when all
> 10 of them have answered.
>
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?
>
> (I specified the unit because of the rule that I'm treating the numbers
> given in the indicated source as if they were exact, so the areas given
> in one unit will not be exactly equal to those in another. Of course
> I do not expect this issue to matter in practice.)

.9

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

May 9, 2018, 5:18:47 PM5/9/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> But, as in the old joke, in this contest "I don't have to outrun the
> bear -- I only have to outrun you". It's not about having the best
> answer, until the end; it's about not having the worst answer.

If memory serves, this is the 4th time I've come in 2nd. I keep
outrunning someone, except on that last round.

--
Dan Tilque

ps Wail.. wail.. gnash gnash...

Dan Tilque

May 9, 2018, 5:21:51 PM5/9/18
Mark Brader wrote:

> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?
>
> (I specified the unit because of the rule that I'm treating the numbers
> given in the indicated source as if they were exact, so the areas given
> in one unit will not be exactly equal to those in another. Of course
> I do not expect this issue to matter in practice.)

Wow, that one would have been tough as a last question.

.93

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

May 9, 2018, 5:31:24 PM5/9/18
Dan Tilque:
> If memory serves, this is the 4th time I've come in 2nd. I keep
> outrunning someone, except on that last round.

Which two did you conveniently forget? (Evil grin)

Spo 2012-01-05 2012-01-16 Calvin 1 Russ S. Stephen Perry
His 2012-01-17 2012-02-09 Calvin 2 Stephen Perry Erland Sommarskog
Sci 2012-04-10 2012-05-14 Calvin 3 Stephen Perry David B.
Geo 2013-09-16 2013-10-03 MSB 1 Marc Dashevsky Dan Tilque
His 2014-01-14 2014-01-26 MSB 2 Stephen Perry Dan Tilque
Mix 2014-01-27 2014-02-13 SWP 1 Mark Brader Dan Tilque
Mix 2014-02-13 2014-02-27 SWP 2 Peter Smyth Russ S.
Sci 2014-04-11 2014-04-30 MSB 3 Stephen Perry Dan Tilque
Geo 2014-07-02 2014-07-16 MSB 4 Stephen Perry Dan Tilque
Mix 2014-07-17 2014-08-15 SWP 3 Russ S. Dan Blum
Swed. 2014-09-14 2014-10-11 Swedish Björn Lundin Stephen Perry
Dates 2015-01-31 2015-03-07 Björn Stephen Perry David B.
His 2016-02-11 2016-02-28 MSB 5 Stephen Perry Dan Blum
Sci 2017-05-07 2017-05-24 MSB 6 Stephen Perry Joshua Kreitzer
Geo 2018-04-24 2018-05-09 MSB 7 Joshua Kreitzer Dan Tilque

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "...ordinarily, a 65-pound alligator in an apartment
m...@vex.net | would be news." --James Barron, New York Times

Dan Tilque

May 9, 2018, 6:06:28 PM5/9/18
Mark Brader wrote:
> Dan Tilque:
>> If memory serves, this is the 4th time I've come in 2nd. I keep
>> outrunning someone, except on that last round.
>
> Which two did you conveniently forget? (Evil grin)

Gawd, it's even worse than I remembered...

--
Dan Tilque

Joshua Kreitzer

May 10, 2018, 9:32:52 AM5/10/18
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:Zr6dnanXHNVgFW_HnZ2dnUU7-
WnN...@giganews.com:

> As I said early in MSBKO7, I drafted 10 questions before the contest
> started. This one came out last in the randomization, and since there
> were only 10 entrants, it wasn't used. But as long as I have it ready
> to go, I'd like to offer it to anyone who entered MSBKO7 to answer.
>
> That is, Dan Blum, Bruce Bowler, Pete Gayde, Joshua Kreitzer, John
> Masters, Stephen Perry, Peter Smyth, Erland Sommarskog, Dan Tilque,
> and the person posting as "Calvin" are invited to answer this one --
> "for fun, but for no points", as I say in QFTCI.
>
> I'll reveal the answer in 3 days from the time of posting or when all
> 10 of them have answered.
>
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?
>
> (I specified the unit because of the rule that I'm treating the numbers
> given in the indicated source as if they were exact, so the areas given
> in one unit will not be exactly equal to those in another. Of course
> I do not expect this issue to matter in practice.)

0.7

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Calvin

May 10, 2018, 9:18:55 PM5/10/18
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 3:30:36 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> JOSHUA KREITZER wins! Ta-daah!

Congrats.

Thanks for running it Mark - good fun.

cheers,
calvin

swp

May 10, 2018, 9:26:13 PM5/10/18
On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 1:37:06 AM UTC-4, Mark Brader wrote:
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?

94.456789%

swp, because whole numbers are boring

swp

May 10, 2018, 9:26:53 PM5/10/18
On Thursday, May 10, 2018 at 9:18:55 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> On Wednesday, May 9, 2018 at 3:30:36 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:
>
> > JOSHUA KREITZER wins! Ta-daah!
>
> Congrats.
>
> Thanks for running it Mark - good fun.

so say we all

Mark Brader

May 12, 2018, 1:41:00 AM5/12/18
Mark Brader:
> As I said early in MSBKO7, I drafted 10 questions before the contest
> started. This one came out last in the randomization, and since there
> were only 10 entrants, it wasn't used. But as long as I have it ready
> to go, I'd like to offer it to anyone who entered MSBKO7 to answer.
> ... "for fun, but for no points", as I say in QFTCI.
> 10. According to census.gov as of when this contest began, the
> *land area* of Kentucky in km² is how many times that of
> Virginia?
>
> (I specified the unit because of the rule that I'm treating the numbers
> given in the indicated source as if they were exact, so the areas given
> in one unit will not be exactly equal to those in another. Of course
> I do not expect this issue to matter in practice.)

Kentucky 102,269
Virginia 102,279
Answer is 0.9999022

Joshua Kreitzer 0.7 /1.428431714
Dan Blum 0.8 /1.249877750
Pete Gayde .9 /1.111002444
Erland Sommarskog 0.92 /1.0868502174
Dan Tilque .93 /1.0751636559
Stephen Perry 94.456789% /1.0585816124
Bruce Bowler 0.97 /1.0308270103

** CORRECT ** 0.9999022

Peter Smyth 1.00 *1.0000978096

Joshua Kreitzer is eaten by the bear, and it's "very well done"
to Peter Smyth!

Before writing this question I decided to use the two states whose
land areas are most similar, but I didn't know which ones those were
or how close they were. I was rather stunned when I saw the numbers.

Whereas some states of the US were deliberately planned to be similar
in area before they were admitted (for example, North and South
Dakota) this certainly was not the case for Kentucky and Virginia.
It was an accident of history: after Virginia declared its secession
from the US during the Civil War, those counties of Virginia where
people were still loyal to the US were split off (in a process of
dubious legality) and admitted to the US as the new state of West
Virginia. This cost Virginia about 3/8 of its land area -- and just
happened to produce the magnificent statistical coincidence seen here.

As I noted when asking the question, if I had asked for land areas
in square miles, the rounding in the source would have produced a
slightly different answer. The areas would have been given as 39,486
and 39,490 sq.mi. respectively, for a nominal answer of 0.9998987.

By the way, if I had asked for total area instead of land area, the
answer would have been significantly different: according to the same
source, Kentucky is 104,656 km² and Virginia is 110,787, so the ratio
would have been 0.9446596. Tennessee's total area of 109,153 km²
actually comes in between the two. The two closest states by ratio
of total areas are Alabama and Louisiana at 135,767 and 135,659 km²
respectively; the ratio of the smaller to the larger is 0.9992045.

Thank you all for playing.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "This one isn't close. It's not even close to
m...@vex.net | being close." --Adam Beneschan

Mark Brader

May 12, 2018, 1:41:43 AM5/12/18
Apologies if you see this twice.