CQ #608

Calvin

Jul 30, 2020, 6:13:37 PM7/30/20

1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a flotation device?
2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?
3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century in which country?
4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?
5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?
6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by which former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant, diplomat and national security advisor?
7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord?
8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a group of nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?
9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?
10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at what average distance?

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jul 30, 2020, 7:25:58 PM7/30/20
"Calvin":
> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a
> flotation device?

Lincoln?

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?

"Good Morning Vietnam".

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th
> century in which country?

Japan.

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in
> 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

Springsteen?

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year,
> which hadn't happened for 909 years?

The date in numbers -- either in the form yyyymmdd, or mmddyyyy, or
ddmmyyyy -- was a palindrome.

> 6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir
> by which former attorney, political commentator, Republican
> consultant, diplomat and national security advisor?

Starts with B, I think. I'll try Barrie.

> 7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid
> upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its
> own accord?

Siphon.

> 8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a
> group of nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?

Dyspepsia.

> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash
> Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks
> later?

6.

> 10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the
> Earth at what average distance?

You mean above sea level, right? I'll try 220 miles. That's about
352 km.
--
Mark Brader "Doing the wrong thing is worse than doing nothing."
Toronto "Doing *anything* is worse than doing nothing!"

Dan Blum

Jul 30, 2020, 7:51:19 PM7/30/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a flotation device?

Lincoln

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?

Good Morning Vietnam

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century in which country?

Japan

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

Bruce Springsteen

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?

it was a palindrome when written numerically with two-digit day and month

> 6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir??is a memoir by which former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant, diplomat and national security advisor?

John Bolton

> 7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord?

siphon

> 8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a group of nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?

dyspepsia

> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?

8

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Blum

Jul 30, 2020, 7:54:10 PM7/30/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

There is an error in this question - the song was indeed titled
"Streets of Philadelphia" but the movie was just "Philadelphia".

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 31, 2020, 4:45:51 AM7/31/20
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a
> flotation device?

Grant

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century
> in which country?

Japan

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in
> 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

Stephen W. Perry

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which
> hadn't happened for 909 years?

2020-02-02. We haven't had a date like that since 1111-11-11.

> 6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by
> which former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant,
> diplomat and national security advisor?

Bolton

> 7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid
> upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own
> accord?

"Hävert" is the Swedish word.

> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday
> and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?

Six

> 10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at
> what average distance?

36000 km.

Bruce Bowler

Jul 31, 2020, 8:44:48 AM7/31/20
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 15:13:36 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a
flotation
> device?

Lincoln

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?

Good Morning, Vietnam!

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century
in
> which country?

Japan

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in
1994
> for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

Springsteen

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which
> hadn't happened for 909 years?

02/02/2020 - it was palindromic

> 6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by
which
> former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant, diplomat
> and national security advisor?

John Bolton

> 7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid
upwards
> from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord?

Siphon

> 8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a
group of
> nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?

Dispepsia

6

> 10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at
> what average distance?

~221 nm.

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2020, 5:07:24 PM7/31/20
Bruce Bowler:
> ~221 nm.

For greater clarity: he means naut.mi., not nanometers.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto Don't put all your X in one window.
m...@vex.net -- Peter Neumann

Pete Gayde

Jul 31, 2020, 7:31:59 PM7/31/20
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a
> flotation device?

Grant

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life
> of Adrian Cronauer?

Good Morning, Vietnam

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in
> the late 19th century in which country?

Japan

> 4 Which American performer
> won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets
> of Philadelphia?

Prince

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of
> February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?

Mars, Jupiter, Saturn in alignment

> 6 The
> Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by which
> former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant,
> diplomat and national security advisor?

Bolton

> 7 What name is commonly
> given to a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and
> then down to a lower level of its own accord?

Siphon

> 8 Also known as
> indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a group of nonspecific
> symptoms in the digestive tract?

Dispepsia

> 9 In the Christian liturgical
> calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday,
> approximately how many weeks later?

6

> 10 To within 10%, the
> International Space Station orbits the Earth at what average distance?

90 miles

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Dan Tilque

Jul 31, 2020, 9:35:51 PM7/31/20
On 7/30/20 3:13 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a flotation device?

Lincoln

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?

Good Morning, Vietnam!

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century in which country?

Japan

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia > 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which
hadn't happened for 909 years?

palindrome in three different formats (mm/dd/yyyy, dd/mm/yyyy, yyyy/mm/dd)

7

> 10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at what average distance?

450 km

--
Dan Tilque

swp

Jul 31, 2020, 10:42:12 PM7/31/20
On Thursday, July 30, 2020 at 6:13:37 PM UTC-4, Calvin wrote:
> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a flotation device?

lincoln

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?

good morning vietnam

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century in which country?

japan

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

bruce springsteen

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?

it was a palindrome

> 6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by which former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant, diplomat and national security advisor?

john bolton

> 7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord?

syphon

> 8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a group of nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?

dyspepsia

> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?

6

> 10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at what average distance?

254 miles

> cheers,
> calvin

swp

Bruce Bowler

Aug 3, 2020, 8:08:37 AM8/3/20
On Fri, 31 Jul 2020 16:07:19 -0500, Mark Brader wrote:

> Bruce Bowler:
>> ~221 nm.
>
> For greater clarity: he means naut.mi., not nanometers.

:-)

R. Ess

Aug 3, 2020, 4:04:42 PM8/3/20
On Thu, 30 Jul 2020 15:13:36 -0700 (PDT), Calvin <334...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a flotation device?
Abe Lincoln
>2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?
Good Morning Vietnam?
>3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century in which country?
Japan?
>4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?
Bruce Springsteen
>5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?
Palindromic in numerical notation (02022020, 20200202)
>6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by which former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant, diplomat and national security advisor?
John Bolton?
>7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord?
Siphon
>8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a group of nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?
Dyspepsia (probably spelled wrong)
>9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?
6 weeks
>10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at what average distance?
220 miles

ArenEss

>cheers,
>calvin

Calvin

Aug 16, 2020, 5:14:44 PM8/16/20
On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:13:37 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

Apologies for the delay.

> 1 In 1849 which future US President was awarded a patent for a flotation device?

Abe Lincoln

> 2 Which 1987 film was loosely based on the life of Adrian Cronauer?

Good Morning, Vietnam

> 3 Manga comics and comic novels developed in the late 19th century in which country?

Japan

> 4 Which American performer won the Original Song Academy Award in 1994 for the theme to Streets of Philadelphia?

Bruce Springsteen
As Dan B pointed out, the film's title is just Philadelphia

> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?

[Numeric] palindrome

> 6 The Room Where It Happened: A White House Memoir is a memoir by which former attorney, political commentator, Republican consultant, diplomat and national security advisor?

John Boulton

> 7 What name is commonly given to a tube used to convey liquid upwards from a reservoir and then down to a lower level of its own accord?

Siphon

> 8 Also known as indigestion, which D is a medical term covers a group of nonspecific symptoms in the digestive tract?

Dyspepsia

> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?

6

> 10 To within 10%, the International Space Station orbits the Earth at what average distance?

409 km / 254 miles [10% tolerance]

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 608
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 53 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 51 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8 45 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 46 Dan Blum
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 7 38 Dan Tilque
0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 6 36 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 5 30 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
5 6 7 5 5 6 7 5 5 2 53 76%

Congratulations Stephen.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Aug 16, 2020, 6:04:02 PM8/16/20
"Calvin":
> Congratulations Stephen.

And Bruce, who tied with 10.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Most people are other people. Their thoughts
m...@vex.net | are someone else's opinions..." --Oscar Wilde

Dan Tilque

Aug 16, 2020, 10:45:50 PM8/16/20
On 8/16/20 2:14 PM, Calvin wrote:
> On Friday, July 31, 2020 at 8:13:37 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

>> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?
>
> [Numeric] palindrome

This is insufficiently specific. There've been lots of palindromic dates
in those 909 years. There are many examples in every format in common
use, including some that are palindromic in multiple 2-digit-year
formats. So correct answers to the question need to be more specific
than just 'palindrome'.

What made that date not happening for 909 years was that it was
palindromic in multiple 4-digit-year formats.

>> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?
>
> 6

Lent has 40 days, that there's no dispute on that. Six weeks is 42 days,
so those numbers are close. But an interesting fact about Lent is that
it does not include Sundays in those 40 days. There's 6 Sundays between
Ash Wednesday and Holy Saturday, so the number of days in that period is
actually 46. Forty-six is closer to 7 weeks than it is to 6 weeks, so 7
should be the answer.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 16, 2020, 10:50:29 PM8/16/20
"Calvin":
>>> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which
>>> hadn't happened for 909 years?

>> [Numeric] palindrome

Dan Tilque:
> This is insufficiently specific. There've been lots of palindromic dates
> in those 909 years. There are many examples in every format in common
> use, including some that are palindromic in multiple 2-digit-year
> formats.

So what? I say abbreviated dates are ipso facto irrelevant.

>>> 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday
and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?

>> 6

> ...an interesting fact about Lent is that it does not include
> Sundays in those 40 days... so 7 should be the answer.

Huh, he's right. Calvin, you've gotta rescore this one.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Good Lord, it's not a locomotive.
m...@vex.net | --Tony Cooper

Dan Tilque

Aug 16, 2020, 11:13:30 PM8/16/20
On 8/16/20 7:50 PM, Mark Brader wrote:
> "Calvin":
>
>>> [Numeric] palindrome
>
> Dan Tilque:
>> This is insufficiently specific. There've been lots of palindromic dates
>> in those 909 years. There are many examples in every format in common
>> use, including some that are palindromic in multiple 2-digit-year
>> formats.
>
> So what? I say abbreviated dates are ipso facto irrelevant.

That doesn't make my objection irrelevant. There are palindromic dates
within that 909 year period in all 4-digit-year formats. The thing that
makes it unique is palindromic in multiple formats.

> and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?
>>>
>>> 6
>
>> ...an interesting fact about Lent is that it does not include
>> Sundays in those 40 days... so 7 should be the answer.
>
> Huh, he's right. Calvin, you've gotta rescore this one.

Thank you for the confirmation.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 17, 2020, 1:22:19 AM8/17/20
"Calvin":

Dan Tilque:
>>> This is insufficiently specific. There've been lots of palindromic dates
>>> in those 909 years. There are many examples in every format in common
>>> use, including some that are palindromic in multiple 2-digit-year
>>> formats.

Mark Brader:
>> So what? I say abbreviated dates are ipso facto irrelevant.

Dan Tilque:
> That doesn't make my objection irrelevant. There are palindromic dates
> within that 909 year period in all 4-digit-year formats.

Hmm, you're right again -- for example, 11/21/1211 or 21/11/1112.
Sorry, I didn't think of those.

Calvin, I think you need to rescore this one too.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "My ambition is to see a saying of mine attributed
m...@vex.net | to Dorothy Parker or Mark Twain." -- Joe Fineman

Dan Tilque

Aug 18, 2020, 4:04:58 PM8/18/20
On 8/16/20 2:14 PM, Calvin wrote:

Calvin is apparently not paying attention to the newsgroup, so I decided
to rescore the quiz myself. In the process, I discovered that Bruce
Bowler had been missed in the original scoring. Here's the original scoring:

> Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 608
> 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 53 Stephen Perry
> 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 51 Aren Ess
> 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8 45 Mark Brader
> 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 46 Dan Blum
> 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 1 7 38 Dan Tilque
> 0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 6 36 Pete Gayde
> 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 5 30 Erland S
> - - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
> 5 6 7 5 5 6 7 5 5 2 53 76%

My rescore is:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOT TB Quiz 608
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 48 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 8 51 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 8 51 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 43 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 7 45 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 0 7 48 Dan Blum
0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 5 36 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 0 0 3 23 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 7 8 6 2 7 8 6 1 3 54

So Congratulations, umm... Me!

Barring, of course, any other corrections. Hope the formatting looks OK
to everyone. Since my news software line wraps before it posts, I had to
reformat with spaces instead of tabs. I'm sorry of this doesn't display
very well in your reader.

Now about the palindromic dates. Being in a nerdy mood, I decided to
find all such dates in the 909 year period in question. Along the way, I
realized that all palindromic dates of mm/dd/yyyy format were also
palindromic in the yyyy/mm/dd format. This is a peculiarity of having
4-digit years. The same relationship does not apply to other length
years. Anyway, here's my list. It's possible I missed some.

dd/mm/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy

11-NOV-1111 11/11/1111 11/11/1111

11-FEB-1120 02/11/1120
12-NOV-1121 12/11/1121
11-DEC-1121 12/11/1121
22-NOV-1122 22/11/1122
03-NOV-1130 03/11/1130
23-NOV-1132 23/11/1132
24-NOV-1142 24/11/1142
25-NOV-1152 25/11/1152
26-NOV-1162 26/11/1162
27-NOV-1172 27/11/1172
28-NOV-1182 28/11/1182
29-NOV-1192 29/11/1192
21-OCT-1201 10/21/1201
21-NOV-1211 11/21/1211
21-DEC-1221 12/21/1221
31-OCT-1301 10/31/1301
31-JAN-1310 01/31/1310
31-DEC-1321 12/31/1321
31-MAR-1330 03/31/1330
10-FEB-2001 10/02/2001
02-OCT-2001 10/02/2001
20-FEB-2002 20/02/2002
02-JAN-2010 01/02/2010
01-FEB-2010 01/02/2010
11-FEB-2011 11/02/2011
02-NOV-2011 11/02/2011
21-FEB-2012 21/02/2012

02-FEB-2020 02/02/2020 02/02/2020

The previous date palindromic in both formats is

01-JAN-1010 01/01/1010 01/01/1010

The next one will be

12-DEC-2121 12/12/2121 12/12/2121

The one after that will be

10-OCT-10101 10/10/10101 10/10/10101

However, as I said, the equivalence between M-D-Y and Y-M-D breaks down
for 5-digit years. So that date is not palindromic in yyyyy/mm/dd
format. Instead, this date is palindromic in that format:

01-JAN-10101 = 10101/01/01

--
Dan Tilque

Calvin

Aug 18, 2020, 6:50:13 PM8/18/20
Addressing multiple issues raised in the thread:

> > 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?
> [Numeric] palindrome

The question (or answer) was insufficiently specific but I marked as correct any reference to a palindrome.

> > 9 In the Christian liturgical calendar, Lent begins on Ash Wednesday and ends on Holy Saturday, approximately how many weeks later?
> 6

Now also accepting 7 since it is arguably (more?) correct.

And I've included Bruce's result which seemed to slip through the first time. So:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 608
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 65 Stephen Perry
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 10 65 Bruce Bowler
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 9 59 Dan Tilque
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 9 62 Aren Ess
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 0 8 55 Mark Brader
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 8 55 Dan Blum
0 1 1 0 0 1 1 1 1 0 6 43 Pete Gayde
0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 5 37 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 7 8 6 7 7 8 6 7 3 65 81%

Congratulations Stephen and Bruce.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Aug 19, 2020, 1:21:14 AM8/19/20
On 8/18/20 3:50 PM, Calvin wrote:
> Addressing multiple issues raised in the thread:
>
>>> 5 What was unusual about the second day of February this year, which hadn't happened for 909 years?
>> [Numeric] palindrome
>
> The question (or answer) was insufficiently specific but I marked as correct any reference to a palindrome.

The question was just fine. The expected answer wasn't specific enough.

I have a question for you: Have you ever, even once in your career as
quiz-giver, considered that the expected answer is wrong? And then fixed
up the scoring to reflect that?

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 19, 2020, 1:50:49 PM8/19/20
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> On 8/18/20 3:50 PM, Calvin wrote:
>> Addressing multiple issues raised in the thread:

>>> [Numeric] palindrome
>>
>> The question (or answer) was insufficiently specific but I marked as
>> correct any reference to a palindrome.
>
> The question was just fine. The expected answer wasn't specific enough.

Dunno. Certainly, these two dates are palindromic in three formats, which is
better than the other two that Mark spotted, Nov 21 1112 and 1211, which
are only palindromic in two. But why make a question about exactly three?
There are more formats for dates, even with numbers only. And Feb 2 this
year is not palindromic in all. (Nov 11, 1111 is obviously palindromic in
all.)

So you could say that the question was not really that fantastic.

I will need to admit that my answer was quite lame. I spotted the date,
but I did not really see what was special about it. I would not have
protested if Calvin had ruled it as incorrect. But Calvin tends to
be more generous in his scoring than Mark. :-)

> I have a question for you: Have you ever, even once in your career as
> quiz-giver, considered that the expected answer is wrong? And then fixed
> up the scoring to reflect that?

Are you by chance thinking of how many countries that share a land border
with Spain? :-)

I answered six for Lent, since I know that after Lent Sunday there is 1st,
2nd up 6th Sunday after Lent in the Swedish Church calendar. The exact
length is six weeks and four days, which most people would call 6½ weeks,
so it seems quite clear that both six and seven has to be counted as
correct.

Dan Tilque

Aug 19, 2020, 7:29:56 PM8/19/20
On 8/19/20 10:50 AM, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> On 8/18/20 3:50 PM, Calvin wrote:
>>> Addressing multiple issues raised in the thread:

> hadn't happened for 909 years?
>>>
>>> The question (or answer) was insufficiently specific but I marked as
>>> correct any reference to a palindrome.
>>
>> The question was just fine. The expected answer wasn't specific enough.
>>

> Dunno. Certainly, these two dates are palindromic in three formats, which is
> better than the other two that Mark spotted, Nov 21 1112 and 1211, which
> are only palindromic in two. But why make a question about exactly three?

Because those are the ones in common use.

> There are more formats for dates, even with numbers only. And Feb 2 this
> year is not palindromic in all. (Nov 11, 1111 is obviously palindromic in
> all.)

Unless you're thinking of those that use only 2-dgit years, I don't know
of any others in use. And I agree with Mark's point that we ignore
2-digit year formats, expecially since we're discussing a 909 year
period. So what other numerical date formats do you know of?
> So you could say that the question was not really that fantastic.

There were newspaper articles and no doubt other references, such as in
social media, back in February about it. That's no doubt where Calvin
got the question. He just missed one of the most important points.

>> I have a question for you: Have you ever, even once in your career as
>> quiz-giver, considered that the expected answer is wrong? And then fixed
>> up the scoring to reflect that?
>
> Are you by chance thinking of how many countries that share a land border
> with Spain? :-)

That was one, but there have been other instances, although I can't
remember what the questions were.

> I answered six for Lent, since I know that after Lent Sunday there is 1st,
> 2nd up 6th Sunday after Lent in the Swedish Church calendar. The exact
> length is six weeks and four days, which most people would call 6½ weeks,
> so it seems quite clear that both six and seven has to be counted as
> correct.

I can see allowing either one to be right. I don't think this was a very
good question, but only because the time period is not close to being an
even number of weeks.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 20, 2020, 2:26:26 PM8/20/20
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> Unless you're thinking of those that use only 2-dgit years, I don't know
> of any others in use. And I agree with Mark's point that we ignore
> 2-digit year formats, expecially since we're discussing a 909 year
> period. So what other numerical date formats do you know of?

Those that skip the zeroes. The format which was dominating in Sweden
when I grew up was d/m-yy(yy). So the date in February was 2/2-2020.
And, yeah, in that format nothing is palindromic.

But there are plenty with symmetric delimiters that do not use zeroes. I
looked in the Windows Control Panel for the various formats for different
locales, I found than one that uses zero-less formats. Just to name one:
English (United States).

Calvin

Aug 21, 2020, 1:54:32 AM8/21/20
On Wednesday, August 19, 2020 at 3:21:14 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> On 8/18/20 3:50 PM, Calvin wrote:
> > Addressing multiple issues raised in the thread:

> >> [Numeric] palindrome
> >
> > The question (or answer) was insufficiently specific but I marked as correct any reference to a palindrome.
> The question was just fine. The expected answer wasn't specific enough.
>

> I have a question for you: Have you ever, even once in your career as
> quiz-giver, considered that the expected answer is wrong?

Can't recall one. I prefer not to penalise participants for my shortcomings.

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Aug 21, 2020, 4:03:42 AM8/21/20
You obviously don't realize it, but you're penalizing people by not
doing it.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 21, 2020, 3:02:46 PM8/21/20
Dan Tilque:
>>> I have a question for you: Have you ever, even once in your career as
>>> quiz-giver, considered that the expected answer is wrong?

"Calvin":
>> ...I prefer not to penalise participants for my shortcomings.

Dan Tilque:
> You obviously don't realize it, but you're penalizing people by not
> doing it.

I had the same thought. But I also thought about the Canadian Inquisition
rule on the subject:

# C9 NO DOUBLE JEOPARDY RULE
#
# - All points awarded at the game stand, except where a 2-point answer
# supersedes a 1-point answer on a protest
# - If the expected answer to a question is found to be wrong, either
# on evaluating a protest or through the players' own research, all
# players who gave it still keep the points as awarded at the game
# - Protests made at one game do not affect the scoring of other games

Our players seem happy with that. It means that if you leave the game
thinking you got a certain question right, the points can't be taken
away later. On the other hand, it's also a matter of what's practical
in a game where answers are given over the table (remember being allowed
to sit around a table with people?) and generally not written down. In
this medium, where all answers can be reviewed and re-evaluated, taking
points away does make sense and I say it would be fairer.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | Bad news disturbs his game; so does good; so
m...@vex.net | also does the absence of news. --Stephen Leacock

swp

Aug 21, 2020, 7:48:24 PM8/21/20
On Thursday, August 20, 2020 at 2:26:26 PM UTC-4, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> > Unless you're thinking of those that use only 2-dgit years, I don't know
> > of any others in use. And I agree with Mark's point that we ignore
> > 2-digit year formats, expecially since we're discussing a 909 year
> > period. So what other numerical date formats do you know of?
>
> Those that skip the zeroes. The format which was dominating in Sweden
> when I grew up was d/m-yy(yy). So the date in February was 2/2-2020.
> And, yeah, in that format nothing is palindromic.

11/11/11 comes to mind

> But there are plenty with symmetric delimiters that do not use zeroes. I
> looked in the Windows Control Panel for the various formats for different
> locales, I found than one that uses zero-less formats. Just to name one:
> English (United States).

I wonder what the hebrew calendar, among others, would produce hat coincide with the roman calendar

swp

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 22, 2020, 4:27:47 AM8/22/20
swp (stephen...@gmail.com) writes:
>> Those that skip the zeroes. The format which was dominating in Sweden
>> when I grew up was d/m-yy(yy). So the date in February was 2/2-2020.
>> And, yeah, in that format nothing is palindromic.
>
> 11/11/11 comes to mind

Which in the old Swedish format was 11/11-1111.