QFTCIMM16 Game 5, Rounds 7-8: TV workplaces, French athletes

Mark Brader

Jan 22, 2017, 12:19:14 AM1/22/17
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,
and should be interpreted accordingly.

Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces

We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
and you say "Grey's Anatomy".

*Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.

1. Sterling Cooper.
2. Lockhart Gardner.
3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.
4. WJM-TV.
5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
6. The 99th Precinct.
7. The Stratford Inn.
8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
10. NBC.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes

In each case, name the person described.

1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
"The Crocodile".

2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
missing out on the World Cup.

4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
a former top tennis star.

6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
$30,000,000 in debt.

7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
events at the 1968 winter games.

8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.

9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.

10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto Don't put all your X in one window.
m...@vex.net -- Peter Neumann

Dan Blum

Jan 22, 2017, 12:31:09 AM1/22/17
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces

> 1. Sterling Cooper.

Mad Men

> 4. WJM-TV.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

The Big Bang Theory

> 6. The 99th Precinct.

Brooklyn Nine-Nine

> 7. The Stratford Inn.

Newhart

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.

House

> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

The Office

> 10. NBC.

30 Rock

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Killy

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joshua Kreitzer

Jan 22, 2017, 2:33:15 AM1/22/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OO-dnS-jYfRQ3RnFnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.

"Mad Men"

> 4. WJM-TV.

"Mary Tyler Moore"

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

"The Big Bang Theory"

> 7. The Stratford Inn.

"Newhart"

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.

"House, M.D."

> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

"The Office"

> 10. NBC.

"30 Rock"

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".

Lacoste

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

Pierce

> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Zidane

> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.

Noah

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Killy

> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.

Bonaly

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Peter Smyth

Jan 22, 2017, 5:31:43 AM1/22/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
> and you say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
> Note: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
> of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.
Mad Men
> 2. Lockhart Gardner.
> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.
Glee
> 4. WJM-TV.
> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
Big Bang Theory
> 6. The 99th Precinct.
NYPD Blue
> 7. The Stratford Inn.
> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
House
> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
The Office
> 10. NBC.
Studio 60 on the Sunset Strip

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".
Henri Cochet
> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.
Mary Pierce
> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.
Thierry Henry
> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.
Zinedine Zidane
> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.
Noah
> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.
Alain Prost
> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.
Jean-Claude Killy
> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.
Michel Platini
> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.
>
> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

Peter Smyth

Don Piven

Jan 22, 2017, 6:29:07 AM1/22/17
Glee

> 4. WJM-TV.

Mary Tyler Moore

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
> 6. The 99th Precinct.

Brooklyn 99

> 7. The Stratford Inn.

Newhart

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

The Office

> 10. NBC.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".

Lacoste

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.
>
> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.
>
> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.
>
> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.

Joakim Noah

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.
>
> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Jean-Claude Killy

Erland Sommarskog

Jan 22, 2017, 6:03:27 PM1/22/17
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces

Nope.

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

Mauresmo

> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.

Thiery Henry

> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.

ZIdane.

> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Nah, it was Zidane that got the headache. Oh, Matterazi! How boring that
tournament would have been if Alessandro Nesta had not been wounded!
(Because in that case Matterazzie would have had to stay on the bench.)

> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.

Noir

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.

Senna

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Jean-Claude Killy

> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.

Michel Platini

Calvin

Jan 22, 2017, 9:32:19 PM1/22/17
On Sunday, January 22, 2017 at 3:19:14 PM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
> and you say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
> *Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
> of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.
> 2. Lockhart Gardner.
> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.

Degrassi?

> 4. WJM-TV.
> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
> 6. The 99th Precinct.
> 7. The Stratford Inn.
> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

The Office

> 10. NBC.

30 Rock

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".

La Coste

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

Pierce

> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.

Henry

> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Zidane

> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.
>

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.

Prost

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.
>
> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.

Platini

> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.
>
> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Jan 22, 2017, 11:17:31 PM1/22/17
Mark Brader:
> > 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.

"Calvin":
> Degrassi?

Actually, on that show "Degrassi" *was* the name of the school.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Verbose better."
m...@vex.net -- David M. Sherman

Dan Tilque

Jan 23, 2017, 1:10:58 AM1/23/17
Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
> and you say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
> *Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
> of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.

Mad Men

> 2. Lockhart Gardner.
> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.
> 4. WJM-TV.
> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

The Big Bang Theory

> 6. The 99th Precinct.
> 7. The Stratford Inn.
> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
> 10. NBC.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".
>
> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.
>
> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.
>
> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Zidane
Dan Tilque

bbowler

Jan 23, 2017, 10:44:58 AM1/23/17
On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:19:09 -0600, Mark Brader wrote:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24, and
> should be interpreted accordingly.
>
> On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give both a
> right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty. Please post
> all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup, based only on
> your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote the questions and
> place your answer below each one.) I will reveal the correct answers in
> about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers and are
> used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may have been
> retyped and/or edited by me. For further information see my 2016-11-26
> companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital" and you
> say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
> *Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run of the
> show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.
> 2. Lockhart Gardner.
> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.

The Wonder Years

> 4. WJM-TV.

The Mary Tyler Moore Show

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

The Big Bang Theory

> 6. The 99th Precinct.
> 7. The Stratford Inn.

Newhart

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
> 10. NBC.
>

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was "The
> Crocodile".

Althea Gibson?

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles and
> doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French Open singles
> championships. She retired in 2008.
>
> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of his
> career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland missing
> out on the World Cup.
>
> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other teams, and
> led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.
>
> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season. Born
> in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.
>
> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.

Alain Prost

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine events at
> the 1968 winter games.
>
> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships. His
> brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled his way
> to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.
>
> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure skater
> to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.

Bonaly?

> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

Hamilton?

ArenEss

Jan 23, 2017, 12:19:24 PM1/23/17
On Sat, 21 Jan 2017 23:19:09 -0600, m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote:

>These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,
>and should be interpreted accordingly.
>
>On each question you may give up to two answers, but if you give
>both a right answer and a wrong answer, there is a small penalty.
>Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
>based only on your own knowledge. (In your answer posting, quote
>the questions and place your answer below each one.) I will reveal
>the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
>All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
>and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
>have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
>see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
>Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

>* Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
>We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
>principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
>For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
>perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
>and you say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
>*Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
>of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
>1. Sterling Cooper.
Madmen
>2. Lockhart Gardner.
The Good Wife
>3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.
Wonder Years, Glee
>4. WJM-TV.
Mary Tyler Moore Show
>5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
Big Bang Theory
>6. The 99th Precinct.
Brooklyn 9-9
>7. The Stratford Inn.
Newhart
>8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
House
>9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
The Office
>10. NBC.
30 Rock

>* Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
>In each case, name the person described.
>
>1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".
La Coste

>2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.
Anna Kornikova

>3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.
>
>4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.
>
>5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.
Joakim Noah

>6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.
Alain Prost

>7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.
Jean Claude Killy

>8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.
>
>9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.
Surya Bonaly

>10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.
Phillippe Candelaro

ArenEss

Marc Dashevsky

Jan 23, 2017, 12:51:46 PM1/23/17
In article <OO-dnS-jYfRQ3RnF...@giganews.com>, m...@vex.net says...
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
> and you say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
> *Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
> of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.
Mad Men

> 2. Lockhart Gardner.
> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.
> 4. WJM-TV.
Mary Tyler Moore Show

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
Big Bang Theory

> 6. The 99th Precinct.
> 7. The Stratford Inn.
Newhart

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
House M.D.

> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
The Office [US]

> 10. NBC.
30 Rock

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".
LaCoste

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.
>
> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.
>
> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.
>
> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.
Noah

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.
>
> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.
Jean-Claude Killy

> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.
>
> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.
>
> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

Gareth Owen

Jan 23, 2017, 3:10:07 PM1/23/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) writes:

> 1. Sterling Cooper.

Mad Men

> 2. Lockhart Gardner.

Angel??

> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.

Beverly Hills 90210?

> 4. WJM-TV.

The Newsroom. Sportsnight

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

Big Bang Theory

> 6. The 99th Precinct.

Brooklyn 99

> 7. The Stratford Inn.

Nope

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.

House

> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

The Office

> 10. NBC.

30 Rock

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".

Lacoste

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

Mary Pierce

> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.

Thierry Henry

> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Zinedine Zidane

> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.

Joachim Noah

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.

Alain Prost?

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Jean-Claude Killi

> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.

Michel Platini

> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.

Lutz. Axel.

> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

Axel. Lutz.

Pete

Jan 23, 2017, 3:50:45 PM1/23/17
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:OO-dnS-jYfRQ3RnFnZ2dnUU7-
UPN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,

> Please post all your answers to the newsgroup in a single followup,
> the correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> All questions were written by members of the Misplaced Modifiers
> and are used here by permission, but have been reformatted and may
> have been retyped and/or edited by me. For further information
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces
>
> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
> and you say "Grey's Anatomy".
>
> *Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
> of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.
>
> 1. Sterling Cooper.

Mad Men

> 2. Lockhart Gardner.

LA Law

> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.

Welcome Back, Kotter

> 4. WJM-TV.

Mary Tyler Moore Show

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

Big Bang Theory

> 6. The 99th Precinct.

Hill Street Blues

> 7. The Stratford Inn.

Newhart

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.

House

> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

The Office

> 10. NBC.

30 Rock

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes
>
> In each case, name the person described.
>
> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".

LaCoste

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

Mauresmo

> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.

Thierry Henry

> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Zidane

> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.

Noah

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.

Villeneuve

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Killy

> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.

Platini

> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.

Bonaly

> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

Stojko

Pete Gayde

Jason Kreitzer

Jan 23, 2017, 4:48:59 PM1/23/17
"Boy Meets World"
> 4. WJM-TV.
"The Mary Tyler Moore Show"
> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").
"The Big Bang Theory"
> 6. The 99th Precinct.
> 7. The Stratford Inn.
"Newhart"
> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.
"House, MD"
> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.
"The Office"
> 10. NBC.
"30 Rock"

Mark Brader

Jan 25, 2017, 2:40:49 AM1/25/17
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2016-10-24,
> see my 2016-11-26 companion posting on "Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Entertainment - TV Workplaces

> We give you the name of the workplace, or the main setting of the
> principal characters, in a popular TV show. You name the show.
> For example, we say "the 4077th MASH" and you say "M*A*S*H". Or,
> perhaps more likely, we say "Seattle Grace--Mercy West Hospital"
> and you say "Grey's Anatomy".

This was the easiest round in the original game and the 5th-easiest
of the entire season.

> *Note*: The name of the workplace may have changed during the run
> of the show. We'll generally provide only one name.

> 1. Sterling Cooper.

"Mad Men". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque, ArenEss,
Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

> 2. Lockhart Gardner.

"The Good Wife". 4 for ArenEss.

> 3. William McKinley High School. There are three possible answers.

"Glee", "Freaks and Geeks", "The Wonder Years". 4 for Peter, Don,
Bruce, and ArenEss (the hard way).

> 4. WJM-TV.

"The Mary Tyler Moore Show". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Don, Bruce,
ArenEss, Marc, Pete, and Jason.

> 5. The California Institute of Technology ("Caltech").

"The Big Bang Theory". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Dan Tilque,
Bruce, ArenEss, Marc, Gareth, Pete, and Jason.

> 6. The 99th Precinct.

"Brooklyn 9-9". 4 for Dan Blum, Don, ArenEss, and Gareth.

> 7. The Stratford Inn.

"Newhart". (Not "The Bob Newhart Show".) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua,
Don, Bruce, ArenEss, Marc, Pete, and Jason.

> 8. Princeton-Plainsboro Teaching Hospital.

"House, M.D.". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, ArenEss, Marc, Gareth,
Pete, and Jason.

> 9. Dunder-Mifflin or Wernham-Hogg.

"The Office". (US and UK versions respectively, but you didn't have
to say.) 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Don, Calvin, ArenEss, Marc,
Gareth, Pete, and Jason.

> 10. NBC.

"30 Rock". 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Calvin, ArenEss, Marc, Gareth,
Pete, and Jason.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Sports - Le Coq Sportif: French Athletes

> In each case, name the person described.

And this round, in the original game, was the hardest of the entire
season.

> 1. This tennis star won 7 Grand Slam titles as one of the "Four
> Musketeers" who dominated 1920s tennis. His nickname was
> "The Crocodile".

René Lacoste. 4 for Joshua, Don, Calvin, ArenEss, Marc, Gareth,
and Pete.

> 2. Born in Montreal, this former tennis star is a citizen of France,
> Canada, and the US. A 4-time grand slam winner in both singles
> and doubles, she won the 1995 Australian and the 2000 French
> Open singles championships. She retired in 2008.

Mary Pierce. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Calvin, and Gareth.

> 3. Retired soccer forward, the all-time record goal scorer for
> Arsenal of the Premier League, spent the final couple of years of
> his career playing for New York of MLS. Involved in a hand-ball
> controversy in 2010 when his illegal goal resulted in Ireland
> missing out on the World Cup.

Thierry Henry ["On-ree"]. 4 for Peter, Erland, Calvin, Gareth,
and Pete.

> 4. One of France's most illustrious soccer stars, this Algerian-born
> midfielder played for Juventus and Real Madrid among other
> teams, and led France to victory in the 1998 World Cup.
> He still gives Marco Materazzi a headache.

Zinedine Zidane. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Erland, Calvin, Dan Tilque,
Gareth, and Pete.

> 5. This center played for the Chicago Bulls from 2007 to 2016
> and has signed with the New York Knicks for the current season.
> Born in New York, he is a French citizen through his father,
> a former top tennis star.

Joakim Noah. 4 for Joshua, Peter, Don, ArenEss, Marc, Gareth,
and Pete. 3 for Erland.

> 6. A 4-time Formula 1 driving champion (1985, '86, '89, '93), his
> nickname is "The Professor". After retiring as a driver,
> he bought his own team in 1997 and named it after himself.
> The team had some good results, but was disbanded in 2002,
> $30,000,000 in debt.

Alain Prost. 4 for Peter, Calvin, Bruce, ArenEss, and Gareth.

> 7. A World Cup downhill skier who dominated the sport in the 1960s,
> he was a triple Olympic champion, winning all three alpine
> events at the 1968 winter games.

Jean-Claude Killy. 4 for Dan Blum, Joshua, Peter, Don, Erland,
ArenEss, Marc, Gareth, and Pete.

> 8. Nicknamed "Le Roi", this midfielder captained the French
> team in the 1982 World Cup and the '84 European Championships.
> His brilliant playmaking continued in retirement as he dribbled
> his way to the presidency of UEFA and a run for the head of FIFA.
> He is currently under suspension and investigation by that body.

Michel Platini. 4 for Peter, Erland, Calvin, Gareth, and Pete.

> 9. A French-American figure skater, she is a 3-time world silver
> medalist and 5-time European champion. She is the only figure
> skater to land a backflip on one skate blade in competition,
> an illegal move she completed at the 1998 Winter Games.

Surya Bonaly. 4 for Joshua, Bruce, ArenEss, and Pete.

Backflips had been banned in competition for about 20 years, but she
was out of medal contention and decided to do one anyway; a penalty
was applied against her score. They were subsequently banned in
practice sessions as well, as it was said she was intimidating other
skaters by doing them.

> 10. A 2-time Olympic bronze medalist (1994 and 1998) and a 2-time
> world medalist, this skater's signature move, illegal in amateur
> competition, is a spin followed by a drop to his knees.

Philippe Candeloro. 4 for ArenEss.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Sci Geo His Lit Ent Spo FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 20 40 38 40 28 24 146
Dan Blum 8 28 32 40 32 4 132
Dan Tilque 32 40 35 20 8 4 127
Don Piven 32 40 28 12 20 12 120
Gareth Owen -- -- 27 32 24 32 115
Bruce Bowler 36 28 34 0 16 8 114
Pete Gayde 8 32 23 8 28 28 111
Peter Smyth 20 40 18 10 20 28 108
Marc Dashevsky 16 36 24 16 28 12 104
"Calvin" 0 39 28 12 8 24 103
Erland Sommarskog 8 36 20 4 0 19 83
"ArenEss" -- -- -- -- 40 24 64
Jason Kreitzer -- -- -- -- 24 0 24

--
Mark Brader | [This technology] might help solve the chronic problem...
Toronto | of getting the registered voters to actually vote!