Calvin's Quiz #454

Calvin

Aug 24, 2016, 1:53:13 AM8/24/16

1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &) that represents a word or phrase?
2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring Drew Barrymore?
3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?
4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?
5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?
6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the largest city in which country?
8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s death?
9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and architecture school?
10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 24, 2016, 4:59:03 AM8/24/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?

Donna Summer

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?
> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?

Three music questions in a row - Mark will go mad!

> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the
> largest city in which country?

Syria. Alas, the population has dwindled seriously the last few years for
very bad reasons.

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s
> death?

Adolf Dönitz

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

Asia

Marc Dashevsky

Aug 24, 2016, 8:55:00 AM8/24/16
In article <310beeb5-08d0-42e3...@googlegroups.com>, 334...@gmail.com says...

> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &) that represents a word or phrase?
ideograph

> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring Drew Barrymore?
> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?
Hugo

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?
Donna Summer

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?
> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the largest city in which country?
Syria

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler?s death?
> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and architecture school?
Bauhaus

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?
Asia

> cheers,
> calvin

Gareth Owen

Aug 24, 2016, 2:07:08 PM8/24/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> writes:

> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &) that
> represents a word or phrase?

Nope

> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring
> Drew Barrymore?

Roller Derby

> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and
> "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?

Victor Hugo

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?

Donna Summer

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?

Nope

> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?

Coldplay

> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the
> largest city in which country?

Syria

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s
> death?

Dönitz

> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and
> architecture school?

Bauhaus

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

Asia?

Peter Smyth

Aug 24, 2016, 2:22:32 PM8/24/16
Calvin wrote:

> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &)
> that represents a word or phrase?
>
> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring
> Drew Barrymore?
Horse racing
> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and
> "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?
Victor Hugo
> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?
Donna Summer
> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?
Turandot
> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
Coldplay
> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the
> largest city in which country?
Syria
> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s
> death?
Donitz
> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and
> architecture school?
>
> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?
Asia

Peter Smyth

Dan Tilque

Aug 24, 2016, 4:36:02 PM8/24/16
Calvin wrote:
> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &) that represents a word or phrase?

ideograph

> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring Drew Barrymore?

sado-masochism (for the agony of victory and the thrill of defeat)

> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?

Victor Hugo

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?
> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?
> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the largest city in which country?

Syria

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s death?

Doenitz

> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and architecture school?

Art Decco ??

--
Dan Tilque

Pete

Aug 25, 2016, 6:18:37 PM8/25/16
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &)
> that represents a word or phrase?
> 2 Which "sport" is the subject
> of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring Drew Barrymore?
> 3 Who French
> writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and "The Hunchback
> of Notre Dame"?

Hugo

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?

Donna Summer

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?

Turandot

> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?

Oasis

> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is
> the largest city in which country?

Syria

> 8 Who took over as German
> Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s death?

Doenitz

> 9 Walter Gropius
> founded which influential art, design and architecture school?

Bauhaus

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

Asia

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aug 26, 2016, 2:08:03 AM8/26/16
On 2016-08-24, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &) that represents a word or phrase?

Glyph

> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring Drew Barrymore?

Roller derby

> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?

Hugo

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?

Donna Summer

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?

Turandot

> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the largest city in which country?

Syria

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler???s death?

Goering

> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and architecture school?

Bauhaus

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

Asia (Indian subcontinent)

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Chris F.A. Johnson

Aug 26, 2016, 2:08:04 AM8/26/16
On 2016-08-24, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Three music questions in a row - Mark will go mad!

Luckily, Mark is on holiday.

--
Chris F.A. Johnson

Calvin

Sep 2, 2016, 12:55:11 AM9/2/16
On Wednesday, August 24, 2016 at 3:53:13 PM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or &) that represents a word or phrase?

Ideogram / Logogram / Logograph

> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It" starring Drew Barrymore?

Roller Derby

> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables" and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?

Victor Hugo

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?

Donna Summer

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?

Turandot

> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?

Coldplay

> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is the largest city in which country?

Syria
Not sure if it still is...

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following Hitler’s death?

Karl Donitz

> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and architecture school?

Bauhaus

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

Asia

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 454
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 40 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 35 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 37 Peter Smyth
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 38 Pete Gayde
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 32 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 5 27 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 5 28 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 2 6 6 3 3 7 5 4 7 45 64%

Congratulations Gareth.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 2, 2016, 3:04:22 AM9/2/16
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
>
> Coldplay
> 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 5 28 Erland S

Nope. I had no clue on that one - only a snide reMark.

Calvin

Sep 4, 2016, 8:48:18 PM9/4/16
On Friday, September 2, 2016 at 5:04:22 PM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> >> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?
> >
> > Coldplay
> > 0 0 0 1 0 1 1 1 0 1 5 28 Erland S
> >

> Nope. I had no clue on that one - only a snide reMark.

Thanks- amended scores below.

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 454
0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 8 39 Gareth Owen
0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 1 7 35 Chris Johnson
0 0 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 7 36 Peter Smyth
0 0 1 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 7 38 Pete Gayde
1 0 1 1 0 0 1 0 1 1 6 32 Marc Dashevsky
1 0 1 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 5 27 Dan Tilque
0 0 0 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 4 25 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
2 2 6 6 3 2 7 5 4 7 44 63%

cheers,
calvin

Mark Brader

Sep 6, 2016, 1:56:11 AM9/6/16
Late entry for fun. "Calvin" writes:
> 1 What name is given to a written character (such as $ or 7 or
> &) that represents a word or phrase?

Ideogram.

> 2 Which "sport" is the subject of the 2009 film "Whip It"
> starring Drew Barrymore?

Roller derby.

> 3 Who French writer's (1802-85) works include "Les Miserables"
> and "The Hunchback of Notre Dame"?

Hugo.

> 4 Which American singer, the Queen of Disco, died in May 2012?

Summer.

> 5 The aria "Nessun Dorma" is from which 1924 Puccini opera?

This one would be easier if I knew any Puccini opera titles.

> 6 Chris Martin is the lead singer of which British band?

Coldplay.

> 7 With a population somewhere between 1 and 2 million, Aleppo is
> the largest city in which country?

Syria.

> 8 Who took over as German Fuhrer in April 1945 following
> Hitler's death?

Doenitz took over, as per my round on people who did things second,
but he did not use the title "Fuhrer".

> 9 Walter Gropius founded which influential art, design and
> architecture school?

Bauhaus.

> 10 The sport of polo was first played on which continent?

Asia, I suppose.

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "Ever wonder why they call the screen
m...@vex.net a vacuum tube?" -- Kent Paul Dolan

Mark Brader

Sep 6, 2016, 1:56:45 AM9/6/16
Erland Sommarskog:
> > Three music questions in a row - Mark will go mad!

Chris Johnson:
> Luckily, Mark is on holiday.

And one of them was a Gwyneth Paltrow question.
--
Mark Brader "Those who do not understand UNIX
Toronto are condemned to reinvent it."