Rotating Quiz #300: ATANA

Dan Tilque

Jul 31, 2018, 3:27:39 AM7/31/18
Welcome to Rotating Quiz #300.

I was going to make the theme of this quiz based on the quiz number.
Such as "What's a perfect score in a ten-pin bowling game?", "How many
Spartans stayed behind at Thermopylae to hold off the Persians?" and
"What was the 2006 movie about the preceding battle?" but the answers
were just a tad too repetitive.

So instead you get this quiz about Acronyms That Are Not
Abbreviations(ATANA). Most acronyms are abbreviations of multi-word
terms, but sometimes the words are just a collection of similar things
that are ordered so the first letters make up something pronounceable.
So the questions in this quiz are such an acronym and a category. You
supply the words that make up the acronym. Examples:

NEWS (directions) -- North East West South
CHONPS (elements) -- Carbon Hydrogen Oxygen Nitrogen Phosphorus Sulfur
(these are found in all living beings including viruses, although others
are usually found too)

One point for each word in each acronym and no penalties for wrong
answers. So if you only know part of an answer, go ahead and give it.
The usual rules apply for tiebreakers, etc. This quiz will go until
Friday 3-Aug-2018 sometime in the evening my time.

1. STEM (fields of study)
2. HOMES (lakes)
3. ABBA (musicians)
4. PIIGS (countries)
5. BRICS (countries)
6. FANG (stocks)
7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)

For answers with personal names (#3 and #7), you only need to give the
part of the name that supplies the letter for the acronym.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Jul 31, 2018, 3:45:02 AM7/31/18
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
> 2. HOMES (lakes)

Huron, Ontatio, Michigan, Eire, Superior

> 3. ABBA (musicians)

Agneta (Fältskog), Björn (Ulvaues), Benny (Andersson), Annifrid (Lyngstad)

> 4. PIIGS (countries)

Portugal, Ireland, Italy, Greece, Spain

> 5. BRICS (countries)

Brazil, Russia, India, China, South Africa

> 6. FANG (stocks)

Facebook, Amazon, Netflix, Google

Mark Brader

Jul 31, 2018, 4:04:20 AM7/31/18
Dan Tilque:
> 1. STEM (fields of study)

Science, technology, engineering, math.

> 2. HOMES (lakes)

Huron, Ontario, Michigan, Erie, Superior.

> 3. ABBA (musicians)

Agnetha, Bjorn, Benny, Anni-Frid. I don't know if there's a canonical
order, though.

> 4. PIIGS (countries)

Pakistan, India, Indonesia, Germany, South Korea?
(Yeah, I know that doesn't make sense.)

> 5. BRICS (countries)

Britain, Russia, India, China, Spain?

> 6. FANG (stocks)

Facebook, Apple, Netflix, Google?

> 7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)

Aaaagh!

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Anyone who can handle a needle convincingly can make
m...@vex.net | us see a thread which is not there." --E.H. Gombrich

Calvin

Jul 31, 2018, 8:12:46 PM7/31/18
On Tuesday, July 31, 2018 at 5:27:39 PM UTC+10, Dan Tilque wrote:
> Welcome to Rotating Quiz #300.

> 1. STEM (fields of study)

Science
Technology
Engineering
Mathematics

> 2. HOMES (lakes)

Hurom
Ontario
Michigan
Erie
Superior

> 3. ABBA (musicians)

Annifred
Benny
Bjorn
Agnetha

> 4. PIIGS (countries)

Philippines
Indonesia
India
Ghana
South Korea

> 5. BRICS (countries)

Brazil
Russia
India
China
South Africa

> 6. FANG (stocks)

Ford
Apple
No idea
General Motors

> 7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)

Lamb?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Jul 31, 2018, 8:51:06 PM7/31/18
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> wrote:

> NEWS (directions) -- North East West South

Not an acronym:

"late Middle English newis, plural of newe new thing, novelty (see
new); on the model of Middle French noveles (plural of novele), or
Medieval Latin nova (plural of novum)"

Other words that are not acronyms, honestly: tip, tag, posh, fuck.

> 1. STEM (fields of study)

science
technology
engineering
math

> 2. HOMES (lakes)

Huron
Ontario
Michigan
Erie
Superior

> 3. ABBA (musicians)

Astrid
Bjorn
Anders

> 4. PIIGS (countries)

Pakistan
Iran
India
Sri Lanka

> 5. BRICS (countries)

Britain
Russia
Ireland
Sweden

> 7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)

Also not an acronym.

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Aug 1, 2018, 2:09:52 AM8/1/18
Dan Blum wrote:
> Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> wrote:
>
>> NEWS (directions) -- North East West South
>
> Not an acronym:

Yes, it is. It's not the origin of the word "news" (which I never
claimed), but it is an acronym. The only way it could be construed as
not an acronym is because acronyms are defined as an abbreviation of a
multi-word term or phrase, and these aren't exactly that.[1] But that
has nothing to do with whether it's the etymon of "news".

>> 7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)
>
> Also not an acronym.

Same thing here.

[1] Everyone calls them acronyms anyway, so I used that term.

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Aug 1, 2018, 6:19:43 AM8/1/18
Dan Tilque:
> The only way it could be construed as not an acronym is because
> acronyms are defined as an abbreviation of a multi-word term or
> phrase, and these aren't exactly that... But that has nothing to
> do with whether it's the etymon of "news".

"Acronym" is normally defined in terms of the derivation of a word,
so yes, "whether it's the etymon" has something to do with it.
Of course, you could argue that when you wrote NEWS you were
creating a new acronym distinct from the existing word "news".
Anyway, we know what you meant and I say there's no reason to go
on talking about it.
--
Mark Brader | [It was] based on a rather unique interpretation
Toronto | [of the law]... (and, by unique, we mean "wrong")...

Gareth Owen

Aug 1, 2018, 1:03:54 PM8/1/18
Dan Tilque <dti...@frontier.com> writes:

> 1. STEM (fields of study)

Science Technology Engineering & Mathematics

> 2. HOMES (lakes)

Huron Ontario Michigan Erie Superior

> 3. ABBA (musicians)

Anni-Frid Benny Bjorn Agnetha

> 4. PIIGS (countries)

Portugal Ireland Italy Greece Spain

> 5. BRICS (countries)

Brazil Russia India China ... Singapore?

> 6. FANG (stocks)

Financial, ??, News, General

> 7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)

Colin Arthur Brian Andy Lionel

Dan Tilque

Aug 4, 2018, 1:19:35 PM8/4/18
Dan Tilque wrote:

I should have said in the rules that the order of your answers was not
important, just as long as they were in the first N answers provided.

> 1. STEM (fields of study)

Science Technology Engineering Mathematics

> 2. HOMES (lakes)

Huron Ontario Michigan Erie Superior

(accepting Eire for Erie, even though it's not really an Irish lake)

> 3. ABBA (musicians)

Agnetha Bjorn Benny Anni-Frid

> 4. PIIGS (countries)

Portugal Italy Ireland Greece Spain

These are the weak economies of the EU.

> 5. BRICS (countries)

Brazil Russia India China South Africa

A group of emerging economies.

> 6. FANG (stocks)

Facebook Amazon Netflix Google

These are currently the most heavily traded stocks. Shortly after
posting the quiz, I saw some headlines in Googlenews: one headline had
"FANG plus Apple" and the others all had FAANG, being an acronym for
that. If I'd run across these before, that's what you'd have gotten.

> 7. CABAL (councillors of Charles II)

Clifford (or Chudleigh), Arlington, Buckingham, Ashley-Cooper, Lauderdale

The C stands for Lord Clifford of Chudleigh, so either name would work.
Not accepting Aaaagh! for either A :)

Wasn't sure anyone would know these, but I thought maybe someone might
guess an answer. I wouldn't have included it except I was running short
of ATANAs. (Admittedly, before I added it, I could only remember one of
the names (Buckingham) myself.)

> For answers with personal names (#3 and #7), you only need to give the
> part of the name that supplies the letter for the acronym.

Scores:

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 T
------------------------
Erland 0 5 4 5 5 4 0 23
Gareth 4 5 4 5 4 0 0 22
Mark 4 5 4 0 3 3 0 19
Calvin 4 5 4 0 5 0 0 18
Dan Blum 4 5 1 0 1 0 0 11

Erland squeaks out a narrow win over Gareth. Congratulations, Erland. RQ
#301 is yours to do with as you will.

--
Dan Tilque

Erland Sommarskog

Aug 4, 2018, 4:36:39 PM8/4/18
Dan Tilque (dti...@frontier.com) writes:
>> 6. FANG (stocks)
>
> Facebook Amazon Netflix Google
>
> These are currently the most heavily traded stocks. Shortly after
> posting the quiz, I saw some headlines in Googlenews: one headline had
> "FANG plus Apple" and the others all had FAANG, being an acronym for
> that. If I'd run across these before, that's what you'd have gotten.

That's like PIIGS. They were originaly PIGS, but when Italy started to smell
funny as well, it was added. I believe that these days, the Irish economy
has recovered pretty well, so maybe it should be PIGS again.

> I wouldn't have included it except I was running short of ATANAs.

CRUD is another one, but admittedly that is a fairly narrow technical field,
and not really apt here.

> Erland squeaks out a narrow win over Gareth. Congratulations, Erland. RQ
> #301 is yours to do with as you will.

Thanks Dan! It will be up shortly after this post.