RQFTCI03 Game 5 Rounds 7-8: US cities, Zeus's ladies

Mark Brader

Dec 25, 2020, 1:31:06 AM12/25/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
correct answers in about 3 days.

For further information, including an explanation of the """
notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

(Repeated usually when doing QFTCI at this time of year I figure
that people are busy with seasonal activities and allow an extra
2 days in the entry period. This time I'm assuming that those
activities are mostly canceled, and staying with the usual 3 days.)

I did not write these rounds.

* Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities

We'll give you two towns or cities that are located in the same US
state; you simply name the state.

1. Lubbock, Midland.
2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.
3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.
4. Great Falls, Missoula.
5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].
6. Orem, Moab.
7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.
8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.
9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].
10. Barstow, Oxnard.

* Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies

Good old philandering Zeus. He had some daughters, a mother, and
plenty of lovers. Oh, and a wife, too. The following questions
deal with the women in Zeus's life. Where applicable, you can use
either the Greek or the Roman/Latin name to answer a question.

1. Zeus's mother, Rhea, saved young Zeus's life when her husband
Kronos wanted to eat the newborn god. Rhea hid Zeus in a
cave, to start with, but what stratagem did she then use to
trick Kronos?

2. Zeus's jealous wife, the queen of the gods, was also his sister.
Name her.

3. Zeus carried the maiden Europa from the Lebanese coast to Crete.
What shape did Zeus adopt to lure Europa to Europe?

4. According to one version of the story, Zeus visited Leda --
a married woman -- and begot upon her Helen of Troy and some
other children. What form did Zeus take to seduce Leda?

5. With the nymph Leto, Zeus fathered twins who became two of
the twelve Olympian gods. Each twin carries a bow and arrows.
The brother is identified with the sun and the sister with
the moon. Name *both* of them.

6. To hide another nymph named Io from his wife, Zeus turned the
nymph into an animal. But his wife found out and chased Io all
the way to Egypt with stinging flies. What kind of animal did
Io become?

7. When Zeus's daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades,
Persephone's mother spent a whole winter looking for her.
Persephone's mother was an Earth Mother, the goddess of
cereals and farming. Name her.

8. After impregnating a female Titan, Zeus swallowed her and later
gave birth to a daughter who emerged from his head. Which
goddess was born from Zeus's head?

9. The father of a princess named Danae imprisoned her in a tower,
but Zeus got in through the window, as shown in a painting
by Titian. What form did Zeus take to get in the window?

10. Zeus and his wife argued over an important point that could
only be resolved by Tiresias, a prophet who had lived as both
a man and a woman. What point were they arguing over?

--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Pleasant dreams!"
m...@vex.net | "I'll dream of Canada." -- THE SUSPECT

Joshua Kreitzer

Dec 25, 2020, 1:46:42 AM12/25/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:PvednUWKE7u5GnjCnZ2dnUU7-
fvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities
>
> We'll give you two towns or cities that are located in the same US
> state; you simply name the state.
>
> 1. Lubbock, Midland.

Texas

> 2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.

Idaho

> 3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.

Wisconsin

> 4. Great Falls, Missoula.

Montana

> 5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].

Maine

> 6. Orem, Moab.

Utah

> 7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.

Indiana

> 8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.

Kansas

> 9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].

Florida

> 10. Barstow, Oxnard.

California

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies
>
> Good old philandering Zeus. He had some daughters, a mother, and
> plenty of lovers. Oh, and a wife, too. The following questions
> deal with the women in Zeus's life. Where applicable, you can use
> either the Greek or the Roman/Latin name to answer a question.
>
> 2. Zeus's jealous wife, the queen of the gods, was also his sister.
> Name her.

Hera

> 4. According to one version of the story, Zeus visited Leda --
> a married woman -- and begot upon her Helen of Troy and some
> other children. What form did Zeus take to seduce Leda?

swan

> 5. With the nymph Leto, Zeus fathered twins who became two of
> the twelve Olympian gods. Each twin carries a bow and arrows.
> The brother is identified with the sun and the sister with
> the moon. Name *both* of them.

Apollo and Athena

> 7. When Zeus's daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades,
> Persephone's mother spent a whole winter looking for her.
> Persephone's mother was an Earth Mother, the goddess of
> cereals and farming. Name her.

Demeter

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Erland Sommarskog

Dec 25, 2020, 4:58:02 AM12/25/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities
>
> We'll give you two towns or cities that are located in the same US
> state; you simply name the state.
>
> 1. Lubbock, Midland.

Kentucky

> 2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.

Idaho

> 3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.

Missouri

> 4. Great Falls, Missoula.

North Dakota

> 5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].

Maine

> 6. Orem, Moab.

California

> 7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.

Louisiana

> 8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.

Indiana

> 9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].

Texas

> 10. Barstow, Oxnard.

Viriginia

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies
> 8. After impregnating a female Titan, Zeus swallowed her and later
> gave birth to a daughter who emerged from his head. Which
> goddess was born from Zeus's head?

Pallas Athena

> 10. Zeus and his wife argued over an important point that could
> only be resolved by Tiresias, a prophet who had lived as both
> a man and a woman. What point were they arguing over?

Who enjoyed sex the most, man or woman. "But there is fact more earth
than sea".

Dan Blum

Dec 25, 2020, 11:00:31 AM12/25/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities

> 1. Lubbock, Midland.

Texas

> 2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.

Idaho

> 3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.

Wisconsin

> 4. Great Falls, Missoula.

Montana

> 5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].

Minnestoa; Michigan

> 6. Orem, Moab.

Utah

> 7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.

Indiana

> 8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.

Kansas

> 9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].

Florida

> 10. Barstow, Oxnard.

California

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies

> 1. Zeus's mother, Rhea, saved young Zeus's life when her husband
> Kronos wanted to eat the newborn god. Rhea hid Zeus in a
> cave, to start with, but what stratagem did she then use to
> trick Kronos?

swaddled a rock and pretended it was Zeus

> 2. Zeus's jealous wife, the queen of the gods, was also his sister.
> Name her.

Hera

> 3. Zeus carried the maiden Europa from the Lebanese coast to Crete.
> What shape did Zeus adopt to lure Europa to Europe?

dolphin

> 4. According to one version of the story, Zeus visited Leda --
> a married woman -- and begot upon her Helen of Troy and some
> other children. What form did Zeus take to seduce Leda?

swan

> 5. With the nymph Leto, Zeus fathered twins who became two of
> the twelve Olympian gods. Each twin carries a bow and arrows.
> The brother is identified with the sun and the sister with
> the moon. Name *both* of them.

Apollo and Artemis

> 6. To hide another nymph named Io from his wife, Zeus turned the
> nymph into an animal. But his wife found out and chased Io all
> the way to Egypt with stinging flies. What kind of animal did
> Io become?

deer

> 7. When Zeus's daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades,
> Persephone's mother spent a whole winter looking for her.
> Persephone's mother was an Earth Mother, the goddess of
> cereals and farming. Name her.

Demeter

> 8. After impregnating a female Titan, Zeus swallowed her and later
> gave birth to a daughter who emerged from his head. Which
> goddess was born from Zeus's head?

Athena

> 9. The father of a princess named Danae imprisoned her in a tower,
> but Zeus got in through the window, as shown in a painting
> by Titian. What form did Zeus take to get in the window?

shower of gold

> 10. Zeus and his wife argued over an important point that could
> only be resolved by Tiresias, a prophet who had lived as both
> a man and a woman. What point were they arguing over?

whether men or women enjoyed sex more

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Dan Tilque

Dec 25, 2020, 3:33:10 PM12/25/20
On 12/24/20 10:31 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities
>
> We'll give you two towns or cities that are located in the same US
> state; you simply name the state.
>
> 1. Lubbock, Midland.

Texas

> 2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.

Idaho

> 3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.

Wisconsin

> 4. Great Falls, Missoula.

Montana

> 5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].

Maine

> 6. Orem, Moab.

Utah

> 7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.

Indiana

> 8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.

Kansas

> 9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].

Florida

> 10. Barstow, Oxnard.

California

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies
>
> Good old philandering Zeus. He had some daughters, a mother, and
> plenty of lovers. Oh, and a wife, too. The following questions
> deal with the women in Zeus's life. Where applicable, you can use
> either the Greek or the Roman/Latin name to answer a question.
>
> 1. Zeus's mother, Rhea, saved young Zeus's life when her husband
> Kronos wanted to eat the newborn god. Rhea hid Zeus in a
> cave, to start with, but what stratagem did she then use to
> trick Kronos?
>
> 2. Zeus's jealous wife, the queen of the gods, was also his sister.
> Name her.

Hera

> 3. Zeus carried the maiden Europa from the Lebanese coast to Crete.
> What shape did Zeus adopt to lure Europa to Europe?

bull

> 4. According to one version of the story, Zeus visited Leda --
> a married woman -- and begot upon her Helen of Troy and some
> other children. What form did Zeus take to seduce Leda?

swan

> 5. With the nymph Leto, Zeus fathered twins who became two of
> the twelve Olympian gods. Each twin carries a bow and arrows.
> The brother is identified with the sun and the sister with
> the moon. Name *both* of them.

Apollo, Artemis

> 6. To hide another nymph named Io from his wife, Zeus turned the
> nymph into an animal. But his wife found out and chased Io all
> the way to Egypt with stinging flies. What kind of animal did
> Io become?
>
> 7. When Zeus's daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades,
> Persephone's mother spent a whole winter looking for her.
> Persephone's mother was an Earth Mother, the goddess of
> cereals and farming. Name her.

Demeter

> 8. After impregnating a female Titan, Zeus swallowed her and later
> gave birth to a daughter who emerged from his head. Which
> goddess was born from Zeus's head?

Athena

> 9. The father of a princess named Danae imprisoned her in a tower,
> but Zeus got in through the window, as shown in a painting
> by Titian. What form did Zeus take to get in the window?

shower of gold

(not to be confused with a golden shower :)

> 10. Zeus and his wife argued over an important point that could
> only be resolved by Tiresias, a prophet who had lived as both
> a man and a woman. What point were they arguing over?

whether men or women suffered the most pain

--
Dan Tilque

Pete Gayde

Dec 26, 2020, 11:56:22 PM12/26/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:PvednUWKE7u5GnjCnZ2dnUU7-
fvN...@giganews.com:

> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly. All questions were written
> by members of the Usual Suspects, but have been reformatted and
> may have been retyped and/or edited by me. I will reveal the
> correct answers in about 3 days.
>
> For further information, including an explanation of the """
> notation that may appear in these rounds, see my 2020-06-23
> companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the Canadian
> Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".
>

> (Repeated usually when doing QFTCI at this time of year I figure
> that people are busy with seasonal activities and allow an extra
> 2 days in the entry period. This time I'm assuming that those
> activities are mostly canceled, and staying with the usual 3 days.)
>

> I did not write these rounds.
>

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities
>
> We'll give you two towns or cities that are located in the same US
> state; you simply name the state.
>
> 1. Lubbock, Midland.

Texas

> 2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.

Idaho

> 3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.

Wisconsin

> 4. Great Falls, Missoula.

Montana

> 5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].

Louisiana

> 6. Orem, Moab.

Utah

> 7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.

Indiana

> 8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.

Kansas

> 9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].

Florida

> 10. Barstow, Oxnard.

California

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies
>
> Good old philandering Zeus. He had some daughters, a mother, and
> plenty of lovers. Oh, and a wife, too. The following questions
> deal with the women in Zeus's life. Where applicable, you can use
> either the Greek or the Roman/Latin name to answer a question.
>
> 1. Zeus's mother, Rhea, saved young Zeus's life when her husband
> Kronos wanted to eat the newborn god. Rhea hid Zeus in a
> cave, to start with, but what stratagem did she then use to
> trick Kronos?
>
> 2. Zeus's jealous wife, the queen of the gods, was also his sister.
> Name her.

Gaia

> 3. Zeus carried the maiden Europa from the Lebanese coast to Crete.
> What shape did Zeus adopt to lure Europa to Europe?
>
> 4. According to one version of the story, Zeus visited Leda --
> a married woman -- and begot upon her Helen of Troy and some
> other children. What form did Zeus take to seduce Leda?
>
> 5. With the nymph Leto, Zeus fathered twins who became two of
> the twelve Olympian gods. Each twin carries a bow and arrows.
> The brother is identified with the sun and the sister with
> the moon. Name *both* of them.

Castor and Pollux

> 6. To hide another nymph named Io from his wife, Zeus turned the
> nymph into an animal. But his wife found out and chased Io all
> the way to Egypt with stinging flies. What kind of animal did
> Io become?
>
> 7. When Zeus's daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades,
> Persephone's mother spent a whole winter looking for her.
> Persephone's mother was an Earth Mother, the goddess of
> cereals and farming. Name her.
>
> 8. After impregnating a female Titan, Zeus swallowed her and later
> gave birth to a daughter who emerged from his head. Which
> goddess was born from Zeus's head?
>
> 9. The father of a princess named Danae imprisoned her in a tower,
> but Zeus got in through the window, as shown in a painting
> by Titian. What form did Zeus take to get in the window?
>
> 10. Zeus and his wife argued over an important point that could
> only be resolved by Tiresias, a prophet who had lived as both
> a man and a woman. What point were they arguing over?

Which gender is greater?

Pete Gayde

Mark Brader

Dec 28, 2020, 3:07:07 AM12/28/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on 2003-02-17,
> and should be interpreted accordingly... For further information...
> see my 2020-06-23 companion posting on "Reposted Questions from the
> Canadian Inquisition (RQFTCI*)".

> I did not write these rounds.

> * Game 5, Round 7 - Geography - US Cities

> We'll give you two towns or cities that are located in the same US
> state; you simply name the state.

> 1. Lubbock, Midland.

Texas. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 2. Coeur d'Alene ["core da-LANE"], Twin Falls.

Idaho. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Erland, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque,
and Pete.

> 3. Sheboygan, Eau Claire.

Wisconsin. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 4. Great Falls, Missoula.

Montana. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 5. Calais ["CAL-uss"], Houlton ["HOLE-tun"].

Maine. 4 for Joshua, Erland, and Dan Tilque.

> 6. Orem, Moab.

Utah. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 7. Terre Haute ["TARE-uh HOAT"], Muncie.

Indiana. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 8. Lawrence, Leavenworth.

Kansas. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 9. Islamorada ["eye-la-mo-RAH-da"], Hialeah ["hi-uh-LEE-uh"].

Florida. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> 10. Barstow, Oxnard.

California. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, Dan Tilque, and Pete.

> * Game 5, Round 8 - Literature - Zeus and the Ladies

> Good old philandering Zeus. He had some daughters, a mother, and
> plenty of lovers. Oh, and a wife, too. The following questions
> deal with the women in Zeus's life. Where applicable, you can use
> either the Greek or the Roman/Latin name to answer a question.

Zeus himself became Jupiter to the Romans.

> 1. Zeus's mother, Rhea, saved young Zeus's life when her husband
> Kronos wanted to eat the newborn god. Rhea hid Zeus in a
> cave, to start with, but what stratagem did she then use to
> trick Kronos?

She fed him a stone instead of Zeus. 4 for Dan Blum.

> 2. Zeus's jealous wife, the queen of the gods, was also his sister.
> Name her.

Hera (Roman: Juno). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Zeus carried the maiden Europa from the Lebanese coast to Crete.
> What shape did Zeus adopt to lure Europa to Europe?

A bull. 4 for Dan Tilque.

> 4. According to one version of the story, Zeus visited Leda --
> a married woman -- and begot upon her Helen of Troy and some
> other children. What form did Zeus take to seduce Leda?

A swan. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 5. With the nymph Leto, Zeus fathered twins who became two of
> the twelve Olympian gods. Each twin carries a bow and arrows.
> The brother is identified with the sun and the sister with
> the moon. Name *both* of them.

Apollo, Artemis (Roman: Diana). 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 6. To hide another nymph named Io from his wife, Zeus turned the
> nymph into an animal. But his wife found out and chased Io all
> the way to Egypt with stinging flies. What kind of animal did
> Io become?

A cow or heifer.

> 7. When Zeus's daughter Persephone was abducted by Hades,
> Persephone's mother spent a whole winter looking for her.
> Persephone's mother was an Earth Mother, the goddess of
> cereals and farming. Name her.

Demeter (Roman: Ceres). 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Dan Tilque.

> 8. After impregnating a female Titan, Zeus swallowed her and later
> gave birth to a daughter who emerged from his head. Which
> goddess was born from Zeus's head?

Athena (or Pallas Athene; Roman: Minerva). 4 for Erland, Dan Blum,
and Dan Tilque.

> 9. The father of a princess named Danae imprisoned her in a tower,
> but Zeus got in through the window, as shown in a painting
> by Titian. What form did Zeus take to get in the window?

A shower of gold (or gold coins). 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 10. Zeus and his wife argued over an important point that could
> only be resolved by Tiresias, a prophet who had lived as both
> a man and a woman. What point were they arguing over?

"Who enjoys sex more, a man or a woman?" (The answer was: "a woman,
ten times as much!" --And no, I don't know which sex the person
who originated the story was.) 4 for Erland and Dan Blum.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAME 5 ROUNDS-> 2 3 4 6 7 8 BEST
TOPICS-> Ent His Spo Can Geo Lit FOUR
Joshua Kreitzer 32 31 12 8 40 12 115
Dan Tilque 12 32 -- -- 40 28 112
Dan Blum 16 28 16 5 36 32 112
Pete Gayde 8 24 20 0 36 0 88
Erland Sommarskog 0 12 -- -- 8 8 28

--
Mark Brader | "In a case like this, where the idiom is old and its wiring
Toronto | probably a mess, we tamper with nothing. There is always