QFTCIMI520 Current Events 7-8

Mark Brader

Mar 10, 2020, 8:57:34 PM3/10/20
These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
the answers that were correct on that date.

Please post all your answers in a single followup to the newsgroup,
the correct answers in about 3 days.

All questions were written by members of MI5 and are used here by
permission, but have been reformatted and may have been retyped
and/or edited by me. The posting and tabulation of current-events
questions is independent of the concurrent posting of other rounds.
For further information see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on
"Questions from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

* Game 7 (2020-03-02), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Last week this man detoured to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan
on his way to Rikers Island jail. Name him.

2. Former VP Joe Biden reinvigorated his campaign for the Democratic
presidential nomination with a crucial primary win in which
state?

3. Name the mining giant that withdrew its application for the
Frontier Oil Sands Mine in Alberta, citing Ottawa's uncertain
climate-change policies.

4. The TDSB announced that it will do something at 1/4 of Toronto's
public elementary schools to save on busing costs. What will
it do?

5. Name the 32-year-old woman who last week announced her retirement
from professional tennis.

6. Name the former President of Egypt who died last week at 91.

7. At Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's urging, Japan has taken a bold
and unprecedented step to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
What has Japan done?

8. Kerri Einarson of Manitoba did something quintessentially
Canadian last week in Moose Jaw. What did she do?

9. Which author, whose recurring hero was Dirk Pitt, died last week
at 88?

10. Name the Canadian fashion mogul who stepped down from his
company in the wake of a Bahamas police investigation into
sexual assault allegations against him.

* Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events

1. Last week the Vatican announced that it will open secret archives
that may reveal whether *which Pope* collaborated with the Nazis
during the Holocaust? (Name and number required.)

2. Last week Turkey and Russia agreed to a ceasefire in which
region of Syria?

3. Who is the new leader of the Ontario Liberal Party?

4. Who did Jason Kenney endorse for the leadership of the federal
Conservative Party?

5. Speaking of politics, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders fought
virtually to a tie in the "Super Tuesday" Democratic primaries,
while Michael Bloomberg did badly enough that he then dropped
out of the race. Bloomberg did win one primary, though -- where?

6. This man, the former head of GE and a proponent of the Six
Sigma business theory, died last week aged 84. Name him.

7. From 1994 to 2018 this man hosted "Inside the Actors Studio".
Last week he died at age 93. Name him.

8. After employees walked out in protest, Hachette Book Group
decided not to publish *whose* autobiography "Apropos of
Nothing"?

9. The International Ice Hockey Federation has canceled its
10-nation Women's World Championship tournament, which before
COVID-19 was scheduled to being March 31 in two Canadian cities.
Name *either* city.

10. Due to a substantial rent increase, which Toronto live-
entertainment venue is going to close at the end of the month
and look for a new location?

--
Mark Brader | "Next time I will proofread my before sending it out. ;-)"
Toronto | --Kevin Rushforth

Joshua Kreitzer

Mar 10, 2020, 11:22:17 PM3/10/20
m...@vex.net (Mark Brader) wrote in news:I8qdnffW1bPlqvXDnZ2dnUU7-
XvN...@giganews.com:

> * Game 7 (2020-03-02), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week this man detoured to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan
> on his way to Rikers Island jail. Name him.

Harvey Weinstein

> 2. Former VP Joe Biden reinvigorated his campaign for the Democratic
> presidential nomination with a crucial primary win in which
> state?

South Carolina

> 6. Name the former President of Egypt who died last week at 91.

Mubarak

> 7. At Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's urging, Japan has taken a bold
> and unprecedented step to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
> What has Japan done?

closed all schools

> 9. Which author, whose recurring hero was Dirk Pitt, died last week
> at 88?

Cussler

> * Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week the Vatican announced that it will open secret archives
> that may reveal whether *which Pope* collaborated with the Nazis
> during the Holocaust? (Name and number required.)

Pius XI; Pius XII

> 5. Speaking of politics, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders fought
> virtually to a tie in the "Super Tuesday" Democratic primaries,
> while Michael Bloomberg did badly enough that he then dropped
> out of the race. Bloomberg did win one primary, though -- where?

American Samoa
(and actually, it was a caucus)

> 6. This man, the former head of GE and a proponent of the Six
> Sigma business theory, died last week aged 84. Name him.

Wright

> 7. From 1994 to 2018 this man hosted "Inside the Actors Studio".
> Last week he died at age 93. Name him.

Lipton

> 8. After employees walked out in protest, Hachette Book Group
> decided not to publish *whose* autobiography "Apropos of
> Nothing"?

Woody Allen

--
Joshua Kreitzer
grom...@hotmail.com

Dan Blum

Mar 10, 2020, 11:34:36 PM3/10/20
Mark Brader <m...@vex.net> wrote:

> * Game 7 (2020-03-02), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Last week this man detoured to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan
> on his way to Rikers Island jail. Name him.

Harvey Weinstein

> 2. Former VP Joe Biden reinvigorated his campaign for the Democratic
> presidential nomination with a crucial primary win in which
> state?

South Carolina

> 4. The TDSB announced that it will do something at 1/4 of Toronto's
> public elementary schools to save on busing costs. What will
> it do?

restrict attendance to students in walking distance; close them

> 5. Name the 32-year-old woman who last week announced her retirement
> from professional tennis.

Sharapova

> 6. Name the former President of Egypt who died last week at 91.

Mubarak

> 7. At Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's urging, Japan has taken a bold
> and unprecedented step to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
> What has Japan done?

cancelled the Olympics

> 9. Which author, whose recurring hero was Dirk Pitt, died last week
> at 88?

Clive Cussler

> * Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Last week the Vatican announced that it will open secret archives
> that may reveal whether *which Pope* collaborated with the Nazis
> during the Holocaust? (Name and number required.)

Pius XII

> 5. Speaking of politics, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders fought
> virtually to a tie in the "Super Tuesday" Democratic primaries,
> while Michael Bloomberg did badly enough that he then dropped
> out of the race. Bloomberg did win one primary, though -- where?

American Samoa

> 6. This man, the former head of GE and a proponent of the Six
> Sigma business theory, died last week aged 84. Name him.

Jack Welch

> 8. After employees walked out in protest, Hachette Book Group
> decided not to publish *whose* autobiography "Apropos of
> Nothing"?

Woody Allen

> 9. The International Ice Hockey Federation has canceled its
> 10-nation Women's World Championship tournament, which before
> COVID-19 was scheduled to being March 31 in two Canadian cities.
> Name *either* city.

Toronto; Montreal

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Erland Sommarskog

Mar 11, 2020, 3:37:46 PM3/11/20
Mark Brader (m...@vex.net) writes:
> * Game 7 (2020-03-02), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week this man detoured to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan
> on his way to Rikers Island jail. Name him.

Weinstein

> 2. Former VP Joe Biden reinvigorated his campaign for the Democratic
> presidential nomination with a crucial primary win in which
> state?

South Carolina

> 5. Name the 32-year-old woman who last week announced her retirement
> from professional tennis.

Shaparova

> 6. Name the former President of Egypt who died last week at 91.

Hosni Mubarak

> 7. At Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's urging, Japan has taken a bold
> and unprecedented step to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
> What has Japan done?

Closed all their schools

> * Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 2. Last week Turkey and Russia agreed to a ceasefire in which
> region of Syria?

Idlib

> 5. Speaking of politics, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders fought
> virtually to a tie in the "Super Tuesday" Democratic primaries,
> while Michael Bloomberg did badly enough that he then dropped
> out of the race. Bloomberg did win one primary, though -- where?

American Samoa

> 8. After employees walked out in protest, Hachette Book Group
> decided not to publish *whose* autobiography "Apropos of
> Nothing"?

Woody Allen

> 9. The International Ice Hockey Federation has canceled its
> 10-nation Women's World Championship tournament, which before
> COVID-19 was scheduled to being March 31 in two Canadian cities.
> Name *either* city.

Halifax

Calvin

Mar 11, 2020, 11:55:32 PM3/11/20
On Wednesday, March 11, 2020 at 10:57:34 AM UTC+10, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week the Vatican announced that it will open secret archives
> that may reveal whether *which Pope* collaborated with the Nazis
> during the Holocaust? (Name and number required.)

Hurrah!

cheers,
calvin

Dan Tilque

Mar 13, 2020, 3:06:49 AM3/13/20
On 3/10/20 5:57 PM, Mark Brader wrote:

> * Game 7 (2020-03-02), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week this man detoured to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan
> on his way to Rikers Island jail. Name him.

Harvey Weinstein

> 2. Former VP Joe Biden reinvigorated his campaign for the Democratic
> presidential nomination with a crucial primary win in which
> state?

South Carolina

> 3. Name the mining giant that withdrew its application for the
> Frontier Oil Sands Mine in Alberta, citing Ottawa's uncertain

> climate-change policies.
>
> 4. The TDSB announced that it will do something at 1/4 of Toronto's
> public elementary schools to save on busing costs. What will
> it do?
>
> 5. Name the 32-year-old woman who last week announced her retirement
> from professional tennis.
>
> 6. Name the former President of Egypt who died last week at 91.
>
> 7. At Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's urging, Japan has taken a bold
> and unprecedented step to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
> What has Japan done?
>
> 8. Kerri Einarson of Manitoba did something quintessentially
> Canadian last week in Moose Jaw. What did she do?
>
> 9. Which author, whose recurring hero was Dirk Pitt, died last week
> at 88?
>
> 10. Name the Canadian fashion mogul who stepped down from his
> company in the wake of a Bahamas police investigation into
> sexual assault allegations against him.
>

> * Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events
>
> 1. Last week the Vatican announced that it will open secret archives
> that may reveal whether *which Pope* collaborated with the Nazis
> during the Holocaust? (Name and number required.)

Pius XII

> 2. Last week Turkey and Russia agreed to a ceasefire in which
> region of Syria?

Idlib

--
Dan Tilque

Mark Brader

Mar 13, 2020, 10:16:43 PM3/13/20
Mark Brader:
> These questions were written to be asked in Toronto on the dates
> indicated, and should be interpreted accordingly. If any answers
> have changed due to newer news, you are still expected to give
> the answers that were correct on that date... For further
> information see my 2019-10-16 companion posting on "Questions
> from the Canadian Inquisition (QFTCI*)".

> * Game 7 (2020-03-02), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Last week this man detoured to Bellevue Hospital in Manhattan
> on his way to Rikers Island jail. Name him.

Harvey Weinstein. 4 for everyone -- Joshua, Dan Blum, Erland,
and Dan Tilque.

> 2. Former VP Joe Biden reinvigorated his campaign for the Democratic
> presidential nomination with a crucial primary win in which
> state?

South Carolina. 4 for everyone.

> 3. Name the mining giant that withdrew its application for the
> Frontier Oil Sands Mine in Alberta, citing Ottawa's uncertain
> climate-change policies.

Teck Resources Ltd.

> 4. The TDSB announced that it will do something at 1/4 of Toronto's
> public elementary schools to save on busing costs. What will
> it do?

Adjust the starting and ending hours.

> 5. Name the 32-year-old woman who last week announced her retirement
> from professional tennis.

Maria Sharapova. 4 for Dan Blum and Erland.

> 6. Name the former President of Egypt who died last week at 91.

Hosni Mubarak. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 7. At Prime Minister Shinzo Abe's urging, Japan has taken a bold
> and unprecedented step to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.
> What has Japan done?

Closed all schools (until April). 4 for Joshua and Erland.

> 8. Kerri Einarson of Manitoba did something quintessentially
> Canadian last week in Moose Jaw. What did she do?

Skipped her team to the (Canadian women's curling) championship in
the Scotties Tournament of Hearts.

> 9. Which author, whose recurring hero was Dirk Pitt, died last week
> at 88?

Clive Cussler. 4 for Joshua and Dan Blum.

> 10. Name the Canadian fashion mogul who stepped down from his
> company in the wake of a Bahamas police investigation into
> sexual assault allegations against him.

Peter Nygard.

> * Game 8 (2020-03-09), Round 1 - Current Events

> 1. Last week the Vatican announced that it will open secret archives
> that may reveal whether *which Pope* collaborated with the Nazis
> during the Holocaust? (Name and number required.)

Pius XII. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque. 2 for Joshua.

> 2. Last week Turkey and Russia agreed to a ceasefire in which
> region of Syria?

Idlib. 4 for Erland and Dan Tilque.

> 3. Who is the new leader of the Ontario Liberal Party?

Steven Del Duca.

> 4. Who did Jason Kenney endorse for the leadership of the federal
> Conservative Party?

Erin O'Toole.

> 5. Speaking of politics, Joe Biden and Bernie Sanders fought
> virtually to a tie in the "Super Tuesday" Democratic primaries,
> while Michael Bloomberg did badly enough that he then dropped
> out of the race. Bloomberg did win one primary, though -- where?

American Samoa. 4 for everyone.

Joshua says it was actually a caucus there.

> 6. This man, the former head of GE and a proponent of the Six
> Sigma business theory, died last week aged 84. Name him.

Jack Welch. 4 for Dan Blum and Dan Tilque.

> 7. From 1994 to 2018 this man hosted "Inside the Actors Studio".
> Last week he died at age 93. Name him.

James Lipton. 4 for Joshua.

> 8. After employees walked out in protest, Hachette Book Group
> decided not to publish *whose* autobiography "Apropos of
> Nothing"?

Woody Allen. 4 for Joshua, Dan Blum, and Erland.

> 9. The International Ice Hockey Federation has canceled its
> 10-nation Women's World Championship tournament, which before
> COVID-19 was scheduled to being March 31 in two Canadian cities.
> Name *either* city.

Halifax, Truro. 4 for Erland.

The same cities are now expected to host the event in 2021.

> 10. Due to a substantial rent increase, which Toronto live-
> entertainment venue is going to close at the end of the month
> and look for a new location?

Hugh's Room.

Scores, if there are no errors:

GAMES-> 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 BEST SIX
Joshua Kreitzer 16 23 20 20 20 20 20 14 123
Dan Blum 12 16 11 16 20 16 20 16 104
Erland Sommarskog 12 16 8 16 4 12 20 16 92
Dan Tilque 4 16 12 12 12 20 8 16 88
Pete Gayde 16 28 16 20 -- -- -- -- 80
Stephen Perry -- -- -- -- 40 36 -- -- 76
Joe Masters -- -- -- -- 12 8 -- -- 20
"Calvin" -- -- -- -- -- -- 0 0 0

--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I'm not a lawyer, but I'm pedantic and
m...@vex.net that's just as good." -- D Gary Grady