Rotating Quiz 290

Joe

Apr 21, 2018, 2:25:27 AM4/21/18
Thanks to Mark for running RQ289 and setting questions I had some
chance of answering. In case you're wondering about the John-Joe bit
it's a long story but basically I was christened John. Family and
friends down in the West Country know me as Joe. Since I moved back to
the London area I have been known as John.

So, to RQ290 which has a theme somewhat related to RQ289. Usual rules
and I'll mark this on Saturday 28 April.

1. Name this building.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqkf3v54jp0fd2/Q1.jpeg?dl=0

Hint: you will probably see a lot more of it next month.

2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?

3. Of whom did Edward Gibbon write "The more scandalous charges were
suppressed; [Answer] was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder
and incest."?

4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.

5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym
Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the
first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as
many.

6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.

7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for
Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big
Pond?

8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four
suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14
plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan
or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.

9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?

10. What is the theme?

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2018, 4:42:39 AM4/21/18
John Masters:
> 1. Name this building.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqkf3v54jp0fd2/Q1.jpeg?dl=0
>
> Hint: you will probably see a lot more of it next month.

Balmoral Castle?

> 2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?

Sheep?

> 3. Of whom did Edward Gibbon write "The more scandalous charges were
> suppressed; [Answer] was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder
> and incest."?

I have no idea, but I love the question. From the theme -- some
infamous bishop?

> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.

Freddy Mercury.

> 5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym
> Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the
> first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as
> many.

Stephen King.

> 6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.
>
> 7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for
> Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big
> Pond?

Maurice Chevalier?

> 8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four
> suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14
> plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan
> or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.

Rook? (Guessing from the theme -- I've heard of a game with that name.)

> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?

Lombardy, I think.

> 10. What is the theme?

Castle, Queen, King, knight... it must be chess, even though I can't
fit all the answers to it.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto | "Everyone generalizes from insufficient data.
m...@vex.net | I know I do."

My guesses in this article are in the public domain.

Mark Brader

Apr 21, 2018, 4:49:15 AM4/21/18
Mark Brader:
> Balmoral Castle?

Having looked up the answer, I'd just like to observe that the correct
answer actually was my first guess. But I ruled it out because I knew
the building isn't that symmetrical. Well, it *isn't* -- if you look
at it from the side, instead of from one end as in the contest photo!

Sigh.
--
Mark Brader | "Don't you want to... see my ID? ... I could be anybody."
Toronto | "No you couldn't, sir. This is Information Retrieval."

Erland Sommarskog

Apr 21, 2018, 5:14:25 AM4/21/18
Joe (j...@oxtedonline.com) writes:
> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.

Freddie Mercury

> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?

Lombardy

Peter Smyth

Apr 21, 2018, 4:51:44 PM4/21/18
Joe wrote:

> Thanks to Mark for running RQ289 and setting questions I had some chance of answering. In case you're wondering about the John-Joe bit it's a long story but basically I was christened John. Family and friends down in the West Country know me as Joe. Since I moved back to the London area I have been known as John.
>
> So, to RQ290 which has a theme somewhat related to RQ289. Usual rules and I'll mark this on Saturday 28 April.
>
> 1. Name this building.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqkf3v54jp0fd2/Q1.jpeg?dl=0
Windsor Castle
> Hint: you will probably see a lot more of it next month.
>
> 2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?
Pig
> 3. Of whom did Edward Gibbon write "The more scandalous charges were suppressed; [Answer] was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest."?
Caligula
> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.
Freddie Mercury
> 5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as many.
Stephen King
> 6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.
>
> 7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big Pond?
>
> 8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14 plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.
Uno
> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?
Lombardy
> 10. What is the theme?

Peter Smyth

Calvin

Apr 22, 2018, 11:04:01 PM4/22/18
On Saturday, April 21, 2018 at 4:25:27 PM UTC+10, Joe wrote:
> Thanks to Mark for running RQ289 and setting questions I had some
> chance of answering. In case you're wondering about the John-Joe bit
> it's a long story but basically I was christened John. Family and
> friends down in the West Country know me as Joe. Since I moved back to
> the London area I have been known as John.
>
> So, to RQ290 which has a theme somewhat related to RQ289. Usual rules
> and I'll mark this on Saturday 28 April.
>
> 1. Name this building.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqkf3v54jp0fd2/Q1.jpeg?dl=0
>
> Hint: you will probably see a lot more of it next month.

Windsor Castle

> 2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?

Sheep

> 3. Of whom did Edward Gibbon write "The more scandalous charges were
> suppressed; [Answer] was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder
> and incest."?

Nero

> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.

Freddie Mercury

> 5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym
> Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the
> first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as
> many.

Stephen King

> 6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.
>
> 7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for
> Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big
> Pond?

Maurice Chevalier

> 8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four
> suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14
> plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan
> or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.

Skat

> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?

Lombardy

> 10. What is the theme?

Nope

cheers,
calvin

Marc Dashevsky

Apr 23, 2018, 5:03:01 AM4/23/18
In article <fk03qm...@mid.individual.net>, j...@oxtedonline.com says...
> 1. Name this building.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqkf3v54jp0fd2/Q1.jpeg?dl=0
>
> Hint: you will probably see a lot more of it next month.
>
> 2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?
>
> 3. Of whom did Edward Gibbon write "The more scandalous charges were
> suppressed; [Answer] was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder
> and incest."?
>
> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.
Freddie Mercury

> 5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym
> Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the
> first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as
> many.
>
> 6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.
>
> 7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for
> Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big
> Pond?
>
> 8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four
> suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14
> plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan
> or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.
>
> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?
>
> 10. What is the theme?

Dan Blum

Apr 23, 2018, 10:15:43 PM4/23/18
Windsor Castle

> 2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?

horse

> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.

Freddie Mercury

> 5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym
> Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the
> first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as
> many.

Stephen King

> 6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.

Bishop

> 7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for
> Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big
> Pond?

Maurice Chevalier

> 8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four
> suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14
> plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan
> or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.

Rook

> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?

Calabria

> 10. What is the theme?

chess

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Joe

Apr 27, 2018, 8:02:25 AM4/27/18
On 2018-04-21 06:25:26 +0000, Joe said:

It doesn't look as if there will be any more entrants so I am closing
this early. Herewith the answers to RQ 290.

> 1. Name this building.
>
> https://www.dropbox.com/s/zcqkf3v54jp0fd2/Q1.jpeg?dl=0
>
> Hint: you will probably see a lot more of it next month.

Windsor Castle. Site of the Royal Wedding next month.

> 2. Freiberger, Suffolk Punch and Lokai are breeds of which animal?

They are all horses.

> 3. Of whom did Edward Gibbon write "The more scandalous charges were
> suppressed; [Answer] was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder
> and incest."?

The vicar of Christ, aka The Bishop of Rome or the Pope. Specifically
Pope John XXIII not to be confused with the 20th century John XXIII.
Usually referred to as an Antipope, he was one of three claimants to
the Papacy.

'Some infamous bishop' is not specific enough, sorry.

> 4. Which singer was born Farrokh Bulsara in 1946.

Freddie Mercury, lead singer with Queen.

> 5. Which well known author published several books under the pseudonym
> Richard Bachman? One of these, Thinner (1984) sold 28,000 copies on the
> first run. When Bachman's real name was revealed it sold ten times as
> many.

Stephen King

> 6. Name the android portrayed by Lance Henriksen in the film Aliens.

Bishop

> 7. Which French actor/singer was nominated for the Academy Award for
> Best Actor in 1929 for The Love Parade and again in 1930 for The Big
> Pond?

Maurice Chevalier

> 8. What card game is played with a deck of 57 cards comprising four
> suits (red, yellow, green and black) of 14 cards each, numbered 1 to 14
> plus a [Answer] card? It was designed for those cultures, e.g. Puritan
> or Mennonite, who consider a regular deck of cards sinful.

Rook

> 9. Which administrative region of Italy has Milan as its capital?

Lombardy. This is where Lombard Banking originated. Lombard Banking is
where the lender takes goods as security against the loan and charges a
fee to the borrower to reclaim the goods. Pawn shops are often known as
Lombards.

> 10. What is the theme?

Chess. The answers to clues 1 to 8 are arranged in the order in which
the pieces start on the board.

Rook (aka Castle)
Knight (aka Horse)
Bishop
Queen
King
Bishop
Knight (Chevalier in French)
Rook

Scores as follows:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Total
Mark 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 6
Erland 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2
Peter 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3
Calvin 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 5
Marc 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Dan 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8
Totals 3 1 0 6 3 1 3 2 4 2

Dan Blum wins by a clear margin. Congratulations and over to you for RQ 291.

Dan Blum

Apr 27, 2018, 9:57:43 AM4/27/18
Joe <j...@oxtedonline.com> wrote:

> Dan Blum wins by a clear margin. Congratulations and over to you for RQ 291.

Thanks! I feel better now about missing Mark's game-themed RQ while I
was away. I will try to have something up by late Sunday.

Mark Brader

Apr 27, 2018, 4:39:48 PM4/27/18
If you expand the tabs as every 4 positions and sort the lines, the score table
becomes legible as:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 Total
Dan 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 1 8
Mark 0 0 0 1 1 0 1 1 1 1 6
Calvin 1 0 0 1 1 0 1 0 1 0 5
Peter 1 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 3
Erland 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 1 0 2
Marc 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 0 0 0 1
Totals 3 1 0 6 3 1 3 2 4 2

Well done, Dan Blum.
--
Mark Brader | "Oh, sure, you can make anything sound sleazy if you,
Toronto | you know, tell it exactly the way it happened."