Calvin's Quiz #576

Calvin

Sep 26, 2019, 8:29:15 PM9/26/19

1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which European country?
2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts stranded in space?
3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known (particularly in England) as Mother's Ruin?
4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and Liberty City, among others?
5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?
6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which 5-time winner of the race?
7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame cathedral located?
8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of certain objects by analysing what?
9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are characters in which animated TV series?
10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which Australian mammal from facial tumour disease?

cheers,
calvin

Dan Blum

Sep 26, 2019, 9:48:39 PM9/26/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote:

> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which European country?

Russia

> 2 Which 2013??sci-fi??thriller starred Sandra Bullock??and??George Clooney??as astronauts??stranded in??space?

Gravity

> 4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and Liberty City, among others?

Grand Theft Auto

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?

tomato sauce

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which 5-time winner of the race?

Eddy Mercx

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame cathedral located?

Ile de Cite

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of certain objects by analysing what?

growth rings

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are characters in which animated TV series?

Family Guy

> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which Australian mammal from facial tumour disease?

wombat

Dan Blum to...@panix.com

Mark Brader

Sep 27, 2019, 12:34:11 AM9/27/19
"Calvin":
> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of
> which European country?

Russia.

> 2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred Sandra
> Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts stranded in space?

"Gravity".

> 3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known (particularly in
> England) as Mother's Ruin?

Gin.

> 4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and
> Liberty City, among others?

Grand Theft Auto?

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?

Tomato?

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which
> 5-time winner of the race?

Ickx.

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre
> Dame cathedral located?

City Island -- Île de la Cité.

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age
> of certain objects by analysing what?

Tree rings.

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are characters in which
> animated TV series?

"Family Guy"?

> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which
> Australian mammal from facial tumour disease?

Kangaroo?
--
Mark Brader | I fear what might happen if, like Skynet, the
Toronto | Republican Party ever became self-aware.

Erland Sommarskog

Sep 27, 2019, 4:02:32 AM9/27/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which
> European country?

Russia

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?

Tomato sauce.

I will have to admit never heard these terms before, but maybe I have just
been paying attention.

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which
> 5-time winner of the race?

Eddy Mercx

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame
> cathedral located?

Île de Saint-Michel

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of
> certain objects by analysing what?

Teeth

> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which
> Australian mammal from facial tumour disease?

Kangaroo

Dan Tilque

Sep 27, 2019, 5:27:35 AM9/27/19
On 9/26/19 5:29 PM, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which European country?

Russia

> 2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts stranded in space?
> 3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known (particularly in England) as Mother's Ruin?

gin

> 4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and Liberty City, among others?

Grand Theft Auto

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?

tomatoes

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which 5-time winner of the race?

Eddy Merckx

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame cathedral located?
> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of certain objects by analysing what?

tree rings

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are characters in which animated TV series?
> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which Australian mammal from facial tumour disease?

Tasmanian devil

--
Dan Tilque

Bruce Bowler

Sep 27, 2019, 9:34:09 AM9/27/19
On Thu, 26 Sep 2019 17:29:14 -0700, Calvin wrote:

> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which
> European country?
> 2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred Sandra Bullock and George
> Clooney as astronauts stranded in space?
> 3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known (particularly in
England) as
> Mother's Ruin?

Gin?

> 4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and
> Liberty City, among others?
> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza
bianca?

Tomato sauce

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which 5-
time
> winner of the race?

Eddie Mercx (spelling probably butchered)

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame
> cathedral located?

Ile de la Cite

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of
> certain objects by analysing what?

Tree rings

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are
> characters in which animated TV series?

Family Guy

> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which
Australian
> mammal from facial tumour disease?

Tasmanian Devils

> cheers,
> calvin

Joe

Sep 27, 2019, 12:25:46 PM9/27/19
On 2019-09-27 00:29:14 +0000, Calvin said:

> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which
> European country?

Russia

> 2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred Sandra Bullock and George Clooney
> as astronauts stranded in space?

Gravity

> 3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known (particularly in England)
> as Mother's Ruin?

Gin

> 4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and
> Liberty City, among others?

GTA

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?

Tomatoes?

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which
> 5-time winner of the race?

Eddie Mercx?

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame
> cathedral located?

Ile de la Cite

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of
> certain objects by analysing what?

Hair?

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are characters in which animated TV series?
> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which Australian
> mammal from facial tumour disease?

Tasmanian Devil

> cheers,
> calvin

Joe

Sep 27, 2019, 3:46:18 PM9/27/19
On 2019-09-27 16:25:44 +0000, Joe said:

> On 2019-09-27 00:29:14 +0000, Calvin said:
>

>> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of
>> certain objects by analysing what?
>
> Hair?

I was thinking of Dandruffchronology.

--
“To err, as they say, is human. To forgive is divine. To err by
withholding your forgiveness until it’s too late is to become divinely

Pete Gayde

Sep 29, 2019, 5:15:58 PM9/29/19
Calvin <334...@gmail.com> wrote in

> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of
> which European country?

Russia

> 2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred
> Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts stranded
> in space?

Extraterrestrial

> 3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known
> (particularly in England) as Mother's Ruin?

Whiskey

> 4 Which video game
> franchise has instalments set in Vice City and Liberty City, among
> others?

Sim City

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a
> pizza bianca?

Tomato sauce

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in
> tribute to which 5-time winner of the race?

Eddie Merckx

> 7 On which island on
> the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame cathedral located?

Ile de la Cite

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of
> certain objects by analysing what?

Teeth

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn
> Quagmire are characters in which animated TV series?

Modern Family

> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which
Australian
> mammal from facial tumour disease?

Kangaroo

> cheers,
> calvin

Pete Gayde

Calvin

Oct 8, 2019, 7:52:35 PM10/8/19
On Friday, September 27, 2019 at 10:29:15 AM UTC+10, Calvin wrote:

Apologies for the delay.

> 1 The Mad Monk Grigori Rasputin befriended the royal family of which European country?

Russia

> 2 Which 2013 sci-fi thriller starred Sandra Bullock and George Clooney as astronauts stranded in space?

Gravity

> 3 Which alcoholic spirit is sometimes known (particularly in England) as Mother's Ruin?

Gin

> 4 Which video game franchise has instalments set in Vice City and Liberty City, among others?

Grand Theft Auto

> 5 What ingredient is present in a pizza rossa, but not a pizza bianca?

Tomato

> 6 The 2019 Tour de France commenced Brussels, in tribute to which 5-time winner of the race?

Eddie Merckx
Various misspelling accepted :-)

> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame cathedral located?

Ile de la Cite

> 8 Dendrochronology is the scientific method of estimating the age of certain objects by analysing what?

Tree rings
Sadly I cannot accept Joe's suggestion of dandruffchronology :-)

> 9 Lois Griffin and Glenn Quagmire are characters in which animated TV series?

Modern Family
And not Family Guy, which is either easily confused or a popular guess
Singleton for Pete

> 10 Researchers are trying to develop a vaccine to save which Australian mammal from facial tumour disease?

Tasmanian Devil
I'm impressed that three of you got this correct!

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 576
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 8 39 Joe
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 34 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 7 34 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 36 Dan Blum
0 0 1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 6 30 Bruce Bowler
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 1 0 5 26 Pete Gayde
1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 4 25 Erland S
- - - - - - - - - - --- ----------
6 3 4 4 7 6 6 4 1 3 44 63%

Congratulations Joe.

cheers,
calvin

Erland Sommarskog

Oct 9, 2019, 2:29:30 PM10/9/19
Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
>> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame
>> cathedral located?
>
> Ile de la Cite
> 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 4 25
> Erland S

I had #7 wrong. And double-wrong. I was under the impression that Île de
la Cité is the other island, so I gave what thought was the other name.
But the other island is Île Saint-Lois, not Île de Saint-Michel.

Saint-Michel in this context is one of the bridges leading to Île de la
Cité, and the nearby Métro station is Saint Michle Notre-Dame.

Mark Brader

Oct 9, 2019, 6:16:51 PM10/9/19
Erland Sommarskog:
> I had #7 wrong. And double-wrong. I was under the impression that Île de
> la Cité is the other island, so I gave what thought was the other name.
> But the other island is Île Saint-Lois...

U are almost right, there. (Hey, I'm sure I'd make more mistakes
typing Swedish.)

> Saint-Michel in this context is one of the bridges leading to Île de la
> Cité, and the nearby Métro station is Saint [Michel] Notre-Dame.

It's an interesting station, by the way, as the RER Line B platforms
are *under* the south branch of the river.
--
Mark Brader | "I'd spell creat with an e."
Toronto | --Ken Thompson, when asked what he'd

Calvin

Oct 10, 2019, 8:20:16 PM10/10/19
On Thursday, October 10, 2019 at 4:29:30 AM UTC+10, Erland Sommarskog wrote:
> Calvin (334...@gmail.com) writes:
> >> 7 On which island on the Seine river in central Paris is Notre Dame
> >> cathedral located?
> >
> > Ile de la Cite
> > 1 0 0 0 1 1 1 0 0 0 4 25
> > Erland S
> >

> I had #7 wrong.

OK thanks. Revised scores are:

Q1 Q2 Q3 Q4 Q5 Q6 Q7 Q8 Q9 Q10 TOTAL TB Quiz 576
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 1 8 38 Joe
1 1 1 1 1 0 1 1 0 0 7 33 Mark Brader
1 0 1 1 1 1 0 1 0 1 7 34 Dan Tilque
1 1 0 1 1 1 1 1 0 0 7 35 Dan Blum